Topic Stats

• 7,454 posts
  • 755 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 75 days ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 88 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 861 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

62061B38-8060-4461-8F4D-242BD9B0E9BC (resized).jpeg
23472719_10210607567895161_7467601903757511161_n (resized).jpg
DEF89B43-B640-4E42-8635-9BD608064D63 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2974 (resized).JPG
IMG_2973 (resized).JPG
IMG_2972 (resized).JPG
samualbracket (resized).jpg
IMG_0221 (resized).JPG
F272AAB4-3533-43FB-82D6-710295326A3D (resized).jpeg
8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7454 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 150.
#1651 2 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Just comparing pics from Stern's own site of GB and AS with SW it seems apparent to me why there has been a hesitant initial reaction.

But see, to me those first two games look like clown puke. It's way too busy and your eye isn't drawn to anything in particular...just an explosion of color. Art is entirely subjective, but I always prefer a LOTR or POTC type playfield over something that "loud."

#1652 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

But see, to me those first two games look like clown puke. It's way too busy and your eye isn't drawn to anything in particular...just an explosion of color. Art is entirely subjective, but I always prefer a LOTR or POTC type playfield over something that "loud."

Take away all of the art and you still have 2 games loaded with toys and features and one that looks super empty.

#1653 2 years ago

If you're going to sell a shitton of them based on license alone, why push the BOM up?
It WILL sell, so why not maximize your profit on a large run theme and use a higher BOM for a theme like Iron Maiden?

#1654 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Take away all of the art and you still have 2 games loaded with toys and features and one that looks super empty.

Yeah...but that's why it has flow.

C'mon, now...you don't have to jack up every playfield with bullshit. AFM is one of the emptiest playfields ever designed...and one of the greatest games ever.

#1655 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...but that's why it has flow.
C'mon, now...you don't have to jack up every playfield with bullshit. AFM is one of the emptiest playfields ever designed...and one of the greatest games ever.

The area below the mini LCD on Star Wars seems intended for a motorized target bank like the one on AFM and without it leaves both models feeling empty in my opinion. The use of stand up targets for the central area of the game just seems boring. The pro model doesn't even have one toy that moves or interacts with the ball, not one.

Heck, Dominos at nearly the same price as Star Wars Pro has a motorized target bank, a magnet, a moving toy and all metal ramps! Crazy.

#1656 2 years ago

I wonder if I could fashion a playfield from my SW Atari side panel. Use instead.

IMG_4067 (resized).JPG

#1657 2 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

I wonder if I could fashion a playfield from my SW Atari side panel. Use instead.

That game looks like it's in great condition, and love the art on that. Game room carpet is jammin also.

#1658 2 years ago

Yes awesome carpet, love the Space Invaders rug also.

#1659 2 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

SR and Dwight work really well together. They turned in an awesome effort on GOT which everyone complained about at initial release and now it is really thought of highly. I am sure that SW will turn out to be an all time great. Smooth shooting, clever & nearly completed code, excellent gimmicks and a great light show to accomplish the overall goal of making a great game. Art package is just such a small piece of the overall pie for me... The more I think about it the more excited I am getting!

News to me on g.o.t? They seem to take a while to sell and take a big loss on secondary market compared to many other stern title's especially the premiums/le.

#1660 2 years ago

The more I look at this, the more excited I get!

20170604_213646 (resized).png

#1661 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Will you stop saying this? It makes you sound like a moron. And I know you aren't a moron.
Steve keeps his job because his games sell, BIGLY, period.

Well sometimes I believe I am as well. No im not trying to be a moron or a asshole A dick or anything else. I had a few conversations with him after he was fired from Stern we talked about Spiderman and his other games. He told me that Spider-Man was so good because he was left alone and pretty much given free reign and that things were different when he was not. There were some other things said that I promised not to repeat. What I'm saying is that he is going to play up his games whether he feels it is one of his best or not for obvious reasons.
I do think SR is a very nice person. When I got my first motorcycle he emailed me about it with some good advice and told me to be careful.
Yes his games do sell well because Like pizza and sex, even it isn't the best it is still good

#1662 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Well sometimes I believe I am as well. No im not trying to be a moron or a asshole A dick or anything else. I had a few conversations with him after he was fired from Stern we talked about Spiderman and his other games. He told me that Spider-Man was so good because he was left alone and pretty much given free reign and that things were different when he was not. There were some other things said that I promised not to repeat. What I'm saying is that he is going to play up his games whether he feels it is one of his best or not for obvious reasons.
I do think SR is a very nice person. When I got my first motorcycle he emailed me about it with some good advice and told me to be careful.
Yes his games do sell well because Like pizza and sex, even it isn't the best it is still good

SR wrote a very incisive "mission statement" about Stern which he posted over on rgp back a few years ago around 2008/9? when Stern was at risk of becoming insolvent and he was made redundant.

It confirms what you have said and covers a lot of what you have alluded to including -

1. autocratic leadership at Stern.
2. the insistence of upper management in interfering at a minutiae level in the design process.
3. designs being conceived and built to a predetermined and non negotiable BOM.

Now that the economic fortunes have turned around for Stern it could be inferred given the recent vociferous defence of the latest title that it would now be in one's best interests not to shit in your own nest.

#1663 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

FYI, Gecko 157 with the Kansas Jayhawks avatar is a creepy stalker. Beware
He follows me around and downvotes every post I make.
Maybe because Kansas football team sucks?

Sad, but not surprising behavior from a Jayhawk.

#1664 2 years ago

Not long to the proper reveal

Wouldn't it be great if Stern 'showed' they care about code by releasing the long rumored KISS update

It would help allay concerns that some games just get abandoned.

#1665 2 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Just comparing pics from Stern's own site of GB and AS with SW it seems apparent to me why there has been a hesitant initial reaction.

I didn't know the more a game is heavy and looks nice the more it is a great game.

#1666 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It does nothing for me as I prefer to know how a game plays and how smooth and fun are shots whatever its layout.

#1667 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

And so?
What are AS toys? Lock box? And so?
What are GB toys? Slimer? And so? (I don't really consider hologram like a toy)

Art are awesome but finally thanks to the pic with the 3 playfields I found the SW art pretty good.

And artwork doen't do all, must I come back to the many issues of GB?

#1668 2 years ago

if they do Iron Maiden i am in ! but if they do Iron Maiden without Derek Riggs { their artist } it would be a freaking joke and a travesty

#1669 2 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

SW was never going to live up to expectations no matter what was included in thewas instead included as a punchline on the most heavily subscribed dedicated Star Wars youtube channel and thereby severing any chance of widespread appeal outside of the primary pinball player community.

Which YouTube channel?

Edit: Never mind - The Star Wars Show.

#1670 2 years ago

When the dust settles down Starwars looks great.

#1671 2 years ago
Quoted from rockfantasyman:

if they do Iron Maiden i am in ! but if they do Iron Maiden without Derek Riggs { their artist } it would be a freaking joke and a travesty

Riggs hasn't done any maiden art in 25 years right? Seems hard to think he'd come out of retirement for pinball.

I think there's some bad blood between him and maiden.

#1672 2 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Look at that! 3 modern Stern games side by side. Each of them has flippers, and the ball can drain down the middle or on the left or even the right side of each machine! The play fields have the same dimensions. Fancy that!. Furthermore, each play field looks amazing and has vibrant colours, and has well designed ramps for the silver ball to hug. Not only that, they also have coin doors and the start button seems identical. Not to mention that the plungers and kickers seem to be situated in the same positions. And did you notice that the shooter lans are all on the right hand side of the playfield? Also, in each machine a main object of the game is to hit the silver ball with the flippers so that it hits various well positioned targets that are integrated with the unique theme of the game that is so deep few players get to the end of it!

Hesitant initial reaction? Haven't all the LEs sold out by now? That's not a hesitant reaction!

That's pinball! The idea is to have fun playing pinball. SW looks like heaps of fun to me!

Too bad I can't afford to own or find room for every machine I like!

images (resized).jpeg

#1673 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

So you stayed on the bandwagon through the atrocious Prequels, and now that Disney is righting the ship, you're falling off?

NO way! The prequels sucked (IMO).

#1674 2 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

SR and Dwight work really well together. They turned in an awesome effort on GOT which everyone complained about at initial release and now it is really thought of highly. I am sure that SW will turn out to be an all time great. Smooth shooting, clever & nearly completed code, excellent gimmicks and a great light show to accomplish the overall goal of making a great game. Art package is just such a small piece of the overall pie for me... The more I think about it the more excited I am getting!

I owned GOT Pro for over a year. Great light show? I had to turn on the lights in the gameroom just to play it. And that was on the setting for "less intense" lighting. I started to avoid WIC and if I accidentally started WHC I would simply try to trap one ball and dump the rest so it would end. If I collected an extra ball, I'd hope it was in single ball play because it was blinding.

As for the code, it came out of the gate almost complete. The game was panned at the beginning because of the lackluster playfield art, and still is. But he code itself is solid. And as bigd1979 said, you will end up taking a pretty good sized loss on it when you sell it (just like I did).

#1675 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I didn't know the more a game is heavy and looks nice the more it is a great game.

Now you know.

#1676 2 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I've been on Pinside for a long time (and RGP before that). I'm not offended in the LEAST by what SR said. We all know the reputation of Pinside, and I saw his comment as a witty jab at that reputation (notice the smiley face at the end of his comment?).
Does SR need thicker skin, or do Pinsiders offended by his comments need thicker skin?
If you want to stand up for Pinside, make sure you have a red heart next to your Pinsider name

It is not a question of who has the thicker skin. It is a question of whether or not SR wants to sell a product. If he does not, then by all means, criticize full-tilt.....but if he does, then he shouldn't be calling his customers a disease.

#1677 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And as bigd1979 said, you will end up taking a pretty good sized loss on it when you sell it (just like I did).

Don't sell! My wife told me yesterday that's her favorite game...and it's in my top 3. Doubtful I ever have to worry about taking a loss. But yeah...when the value takes a big hit, that sucks. That's the nature of a hobby, though...

#1678 2 years ago

@ LEVI yeah i guess that would be too much to ask ! perhaps they could go with Mark Wilkinson the current artist who did the Book Of Souls

#1679 2 years ago

GoT-LE was the only game I ever sold at a loss. I see the same for richie's newest release.

#1680 2 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

GoT-LE was the only game I ever sold at a loss. I see the same for richie's newest release.

Shouldn't pretty much all used games sell for less than they cost NIB? At least that's how it works for everything else we purchase. Just buy pins to enjoy them and don't think of them as investments.

#1681 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Now you know.

It deserves a poll

#1682 2 years ago

All I know is these three pins would look very good next to each other !

16-starwars-raiderofarch-jaws.w529.h352 (resized).jpg

#1683 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

And so?
What are AS toys? Lock box? And so?
What are GB toys? Slimer? And so? (I don't really consider hologram like a toy)
Art are awesome but finally thanks to the pic with the 3 playfields I found the SW art pretty good.
And artwork doen't do all, must I come back to the many issues of GB?

Have you even played either game? Have you looked at either game?

The interactive toys for both game are below. All of these actually interact with the ball.

Toy box locks up to 6 balls
Magnet has great action
kicker throws balls in to the toy box
upperplayfield

Slimer
captive ball
3 ball captive ball
subway lock
magna slings

#1684 2 years ago

1600 posts and about 3 of em are worth reading. Good call SR

#1685 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Have you even played either game? Have you looked at either game?
The interactive toys for both game are below. All of these actually interact with the ball.
Toy box locks up to 6 balls
Magnet has great action
kicker throws balls in to the toy box
upperplayfield
Slimer
captive ball
3 ball captive ball
subway lock
magna slings

Captive ball a toy? Subway lock a toy? Upper playfield a toy?
Ramp, target, Flipper are also a toy?
I think you need to redifine what is a toy.

And yes I have already played them, even I have owned a pro and premium GB, only played AS pro.

#1686 2 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

1600 posts and about 3 of em are worth reading.

Which 3?

#1687 2 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

1600 posts and about 3 of em are worth reading. Good call SR

The EM ones of course.

#1688 2 years ago

LE pops images are left to right, Lando, a stormtrooper? and yoda. Not a stormtrooper that's the rebel side of the playfield. Looks like a spotlight is in the way of seeing the middle image.

#1689 2 years ago

I have a feeling the artwork on this game is going to look pretty awesome in person and hopefully the hi-res images will show that tomorrow. The artists that rendered everything appear to have done a great job and the style seems like it's got a nice, hand painted feel to it. I think it's just how all of it has been put together that makes it feel a little muddied. There is just so much iconic imagery associated with SW that it's hard to get every reference into a cohesive package.

Even if studio assets must be used for a license, they CAN be arranged into a nice design that gives the game consistent art direction. Photoshop is not a bad tool... you just have to have the right vision for how to portray the license.

Not to deviate from the SW discussion too much, but since some folks brought up the prospect of a Guardians machine, I thought I would share something I've been working on. This is the art package I designed for a one-off multicade a friend of mine is building who wanted a custom Guardians themed design. All of this was done with existing, hi-res key art (and some custom stuff of my own design) and made into a cohesive design to fit the narrow shape of the cabinet. To tie in the theme further, I have trimmed out portions of the cabinet and the control panel with a worn metal look that feels like the production design of the films. The control panel is going to be backlit and will look like the control panels of the Milano spaceship, as well as include the 80s wood grain cassette tape deck. I think these are the sort of things that help give a game more personality and feel like a tangible part of a theme.

Studio assets can still be made into a really great design with the right vision! Although the center of the SW playfield feels a little barren in terms of the art, I think the quality of it all is going to end up looking cool!

GotG Cabinet Art - Full Cabinet Concept - medium (resized).jpg

GotG Marquee Art - Final medium (resized).jpg

#1690 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

It is not a question of who has the thicker skin. It is a question of whether or not SR wants to sell a product. If he does not, then by all means, criticize full-tilt.....but if he does, then he shouldn't be calling his customers a disease.

You didn't see the smiley face he added at the end?

#1691 2 years ago

While I can understand Steve Ritchies frustration about Pinside he should probably point his hate elsewhere (directly inside Stern's walls). The PR department dropped the ball yet again. If you want people to put out fair judgement you must provide such dedicated customers the right elements to do so. Not just release a few low res images via the "star wars" show. I just don't understand their strategy. It was planned that the show would reveal the game. So why not have everything ready? Just points to poor planning.

The silver lining about all of this I think is some pinsiders have grown used to Stern's f*ck ups on the PR side to give this game some leniency until the right document is available. I haven't mentioned a peep of my thoughts regarding anything of this game. I'll wait until material is available.

#1692 2 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

Not to deviate from the SW discussion too much, but since some folks brought up the prospect of a Guardians machine, I thought I would share something I've been working on. This is the art package I designed for a one-off multicade a friend of mine is building who wanted a custom Guardians themed design.

That looks awesome...nice work. Images put together very well.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Riggs hasn't done any maiden art in 25 years right? Seems hard to think he'd come out of retirement for pinball.
I think there's some bad blood between him and maiden.

Riggs has definitely been out for quite a while, and definitely some bad blood apparently. There was some discussion on it in the Maiden thread started by talon2000. Riggs' art is just amazing and I had practically every Maiden poster hanging in my room as a kid. ZY has done some cool renderings of Eddie, but there is definitely a difference in the style.

#1693 2 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

While I can understand Steve Ritchies frustration about Pinside he should probably point his hate elsewhere (directly inside Stern's walls). The PR department dropped the ball yet again. If you want people to put out fair judgement you must provide such dedicated customers the right elements to do so. Not just release a few low res images via the "star wars" show. I just don't understand their strategy. It was planned that the show would reveal the game. So why not have everything ready? Just points to poor planning.
The silver lining about all of this I think is some pinsiders have grown used to Stern's f*ck ups on the PR side to give this game some leniency until the right document is available. I haven't mentioned a peep of my thoughts regarding anything of this game. I'll wait until material is available.

Do you have any ideas about what decals might look good on those long metal ramps? (your NGG decals are fantastic!)

#1694 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Do you have any ideas about what decals might look good on those long metal ramps? (your NGG decals are fantastic!)

Ramp mods would be my first priority. On the LE right ramp, definitely the lollipop rail (MF grating) design as a ramp decal. Or whatever the MF ship entrance ramp design from the movie is. Or even more, structure of the MF ramp from the movie instead of a decal. Lots of possibilities.

#1695 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Patience my young patawan

#1696 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Slimer
captive ball
3 ball captive ball
subway lock
magna slings

I wouldn't consider all of those toys or necessarily things that interact with the ball, but the Scoleri Brothers definitely interact with the ball that I'd add to the list (most first time players are even thrilled to see them pop up unexpectedly).

Hopefully there are interesting "force" magnets under the SW field we haven't seen yet. Would be a shame if multiple magnets aren't hidden on a modern SW game.

#1697 2 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

I noticed he down votes all of Aurich's posts also.

I've PMd him twice to man up with whatever his issues are. He's apparently too scared to do anything but randomly downvote even the most innocuous posts. Maybe he's frightened of my tattoo avatar.

Quoted from konghusker:

Why does everyone keep saying it's Photoshop or clip art? It clearly looks to be a photo realistic drawn artwork.

It's all three. Photoshop is just a tool. I'm sure Zombie Yeti used it tons for Ghostbusters, though if I recall correctly he also likes to do line drawing in Manga Studio. You can draw, you can cut and paste, you can do everything in between. Tools don't dictate the style or results, any more than a pen controls what your drawing looks like, that's up to the hand and mind right?

Clip art can be hand drawn. In fact when I think clip art first thing I think of is line drawings.

What Star Wars looks like to me, and obviously I'm only speculating, is that Stern had access to a library of Star Wars images, hand drawn images and whatever else, (remember, film images generally are pretty low rez for print use, actually taking a movie clip for your art is going to be pretty rare, or used for smaller stuff). They brought those images into Photoshop and collaged together a layout.

Like the end result or not that how I imagine it was actually assembled. So Photoshop, clip art, hand drawn, you can be all of those.

#1698 2 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

SR wrote a very incisive "mission statement" about Stern which he posted over on rgp back a few years ago around 2008/9? when Stern was at risk of becoming insolvent and he was made redundant.

That post was epic. Steve Ritchie truly speaking his mind, and not a throw away Facebook comment about a forum, is a sight to see.

#1699 2 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

Pin opinions ebb and flow. I remember clearly when The Shadow was a dog. I loved it (and made the superset of plastics to ease a shortage for collectors), but you could get a nice one for $1500 or less, and no one was really admiring it. Then the tide turned and people started realizing it's one of the most challenging pins out there with monster flow and the price really shot up pretty quickly.

GoT is a GREAT pin. Deep and strategic. I think people will eventually come around to it. But if they don't, their loss.

#1700 2 years ago

Any video yet?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 7454 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 150.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside