8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 150.
#1451 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

It's forum, it's for discussion, not circle jerks. We can't say anything negative, without getting slapped. GoT was savaged because the art sucked man. This game is not that much better. News Flash: GB has issues, PF ghosting and chipping is a real thing. Incomplete code is a real concern. Peeling decals, dimpling, cash grabs..etc. Sorry but all legitimate topics of discussion in a pinball forum.
OBEY...CONSUME...SEND MONEY NOW!

Yup. And mea culpa, I was kind of a harsh dick to you about having an opinion in the TNA thread, so everyone could use a dose of chilling out, and I'm certainly no exception.

#1452 6 years ago

I'm just hoping that I have enough mods in this box to finally steal Mrs. Mezel away from Mr. Mezel.
20170601_155451 (resized).jpg20170601_155451 (resized).jpg

#1453 6 years ago

There seems to a ton of bad news and negativity on the forum currently (re: Alien & TBL).
Yet even when we get some exciting new releases in SW and DI, which both seem to have awesome potential, there's still such a cynical reaction by many.

For what it's worth, thankfully, we still have Stern and JJP offering up some exciting titles.
Yes, the art package on SW isn't as impressive as AS, GB or MET; but if the gameplay offers a fun, fast engaging experience with some solid rules, this will be a blast to play. Throw in the 2 LCDs and lots of SW clips and it will be unlike any other Stern yet released.

Just my 2 cents- really looking forward to seeing gameplay released and eventually test driving this myself.

#1454 6 years ago

Steve Ritchie is still a god in my books!

steve-ritchie (resized).jpgsteve-ritchie (resized).jpg

#1455 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

OMFG. Your arrogance is un-f*n-believable.

For my money, this is the best post in the entire thread...

...because CrazyLevi UPVOTED it!

#1456 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

For my money, this is the best post in the entire thread...
...because crazylevi UPVOTED it!

Mission accomplished for CrazyLevi

#1457 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Steve pretty much sums up my feelings here. It's hilarious seeing a thousand posts by people who care more about undercab lighting than actually playing whine about how bad a game is going to be based on some pictures.

Congrats Levi on the first positive? post of your pinside career. First time I agree with you. Actually the 2nd - SF2 is TERRIBLE!

#1458 6 years ago

Look, I edited my post for the comment about Ritchie. He's given a lot to pinball, and it was a little over the top. I have a tremendous amount of humility, so I do not mind admitting when I've been an asshole.

That being said, I don't need anybody telling me what I do know or don't know about pinball. Even though I haven't been in the hobby for 20 years, I dove in with both arms and legs like most of us do, because the artwork, playing them and the thrill of the hunt enthralled me. I loved it so much that I even became an owner of a pinball company, which many of you know on that level is not all that profitable and consumes A LOT of time. I have no problem giving away a ton of products to people for free and always do, and helping anybody that needs help with a game. Ever. I do it because I love games and this hobby, and nothing else.

I don't need to be bashed by the cheerleaders on here. We all know recent Stern games have issues, but the few assclowns on here won't admit that, even when they have a cracked cabinet or cratered / ghosting playfield in front of them. It's a joke. Maybe you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and don't mind pissing away $7k to $10k like it's nothing, but I wasn't. I have to work for every dollar I earn and have since I was 16. So when I spend those dollars, I want quality.

I have been a fan of Star Wars since I can remember, and I was SOOO looking forward to this game. Wasn't a big fan of the other SW games so I never bought one, especially SWE1. We've had 10 or 12 of them come through the store, and I have plenty of friends that have them. You name any new Stern, or any game they put out in the last seven or eight years, and we've taken one in on trade, I've worked on it, I've played it, or someone I know has it. I expected a kick ass game this time around given how much I love the theme, and I am allowed to be disappointed with what I've seen.

I appreciate those of you that came to my defense, because you are at least realistic. I don't think I know everything about games or this hobby, but neither do you. I offer opinions, and also contribute a lot and have decent posts in many other threads. If you don't like what I say, put me on ignore.

#1459 6 years ago

I've been working since I was 10 pusky.

#1460 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Child prostitution doesn't count.

#1461 6 years ago

I like yer enthusiasm brougham. Fuck em if they can't take a joke.

#1462 6 years ago

"If one guy calls you a Hutt, ignore him. If a second guy calls you a Hutt, begin to wonder. If a third guy calls you a Hutt, buy a drool bucket and start stockpiling spice."

Unfortunately, from what I can recall, there tends to be a fair number of criticisms about artwork on every Ritchie game.

With Borg, Trudeau, and Nordman...I don't seem to recall reading too much negative feedback about the artwork that appears on their games. And it looks like the some of the same artists that work on their games work on Ritchie's games, so I don't think the issue is as obvious as something to do with a particular artist.

While I can appreciate Steve's frustration about reading criticisms of his work, It might be time to consider that Pinside isn't "a disease" and try making adjustments to help improve things and reduce the amount of negative feedback that the final product tends to generate.

In all fairness, the artwork on this new game does seem to have improved over other games. It's still not quite what people are looking for, but maybe there's still hope.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

#1463 6 years ago

I mean, ST, GOT, and ACDC are all pretty notably fugly so he's not having a great run, artwise.

#1464 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I mean, ST, GOT, and ACDC are all pretty notably fugly so he's not having a great run, artwise.

...but the games are freakin' AWESOME!!!

#1465 6 years ago

Clearly people are amped up on both sides of the fence. Lets get back to speculation; at least thats fun.

What do people think the accessory side rails will look like?

#1466 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...but the games are freakin' AWESOME!!!

It's funny, but I've never really been able to get into any of them, though I'm not a big Steve Ritchie fan. I just don't find his pins very, idk, involving? They feel like the "game" is secondary to the ruleset.

#1467 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

It's funny, but I've never really been able to get into any of them, though I'm not a big Steve Ritchie fan. I just don't find his pins very, idk, involving? They feel like the "game" is secondary to the ruleset.

Fair enough. That's the way I generally feel about Pat Lawlor.

#1468 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Personally I'm more sick of the people who can't stomach reading opinions they don't agree with.
It's okay to care about the way something looks more than the way it plays. It's okay to only care about how it plays and not give a shit what it looks like. Neither is wrong.
If you buy pins to look at them and hardly play them, good for you. Someone will probably get a really nice shape pin to play some day when you get bored, I sure don't care. Your dollars are funding the hobby still.
If you think spending $8k on a pin is stupid af and would rather play the shit out of some worn-to-the-wood solid states I salute you. That game is probably super fun, why it got worn down to bare wood, people couldn't stop playing it.
If you're a giant Star Wars fan and one look at this disappoints you then I feel you. The things we love the most are sometimes the most easy to be critical about. You don't have to wait for a video or new photos to have an opinion. You're also allowed to change it when those come to light. Just don't be a bitch about it, admit you're changing your mind.
If Steve Ritchie wants to be a cranky old man and shit on his customers that's his right. I don't have to respect him for it.
This is a discussion forum. If you can't handle things being discussed then learn to knit or something.

Well someone has never been apart of elite knitting gossip then.

#1469 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

They feel like the "game" is secondary to the ruleset.

They're all high speed (pun intended) flow games . It seems like he sacrifices depth for rapid execution of goals. His formula is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but I've generally liked to loved his releases over the years (BK2K is my all time favorite ... Part of that is nostalgia of course).

I like all sorts of pinball, but he's the best when it comes to the style of games I prefer.

Quoted from T-800:

Clearly people are amped up on both sides of the fence. Lets get back to speculation; at least thats fun.

Some things I think we are going to see :

1. GI will change colors based on mode. It would help explain the light pallette used on the playfield.

2. LE backglass will be animated somehow. I can't see an artist leaving that cockpit of the Millennium Falcon nothing but a static hyperspace image. Hell, I'd even consider throwing an LCD in there and make my own animated backglass if it turns out to be a static image .

3. There has to be magnets and other surprises. I haven't done a full count, but I can't see how all of the solenoid drivers are used right now (I know Spike distributes the solenoids across multiple boards, but you typically have around 20 high voltage solenoids in a modern game)

#1470 6 years ago

I personally find it kind of ironic that some people are bothered about a comment Steve makes about a hobby pinball forum but he and every other pinball professional that has their work/career/passion (and sometimes character, skills and intelligence) attacked almost daily are supposed to just grin and bear it.

As for the topic at hand, I don't mind the artwork. I don't love it, but also believe it will look better in hires pics and in person. I agree with Megadeth, I hope the LE backglass has some animation effect. Also hope that is EL paper under the side rails on the LE and it does something cool. If not, I think I would be in on the Premium instead of an LE. Glad we will get more info next week.

#1471 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Fair enough. That's the way I generally feel about Pat Lawlor.

pitchforks (resized).jpgpitchforks (resized).jpg

#1472 6 years ago

quote-why-are-people-so-unkind-kamahl-85-21-26 (resized).jpgquote-why-are-people-so-unkind-kamahl-85-21-26 (resized).jpg

#1473 6 years ago

Is that the Alive guy?

#1474 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm just hoping that I have enough mods in this box to finally steal Mrs. Mezel away from Mr. Mezel.

No R2D2 or C3PO?!

#1475 6 years ago
Those aren't the droids you're looking for

#1476 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Higher resolution version of the Steve & Dwight with the LE & Pro, can zoom in and make out the details a little better. It looks like Death Star behind the Falcon being chased by a Tie Fighter.

ZOOM on the photo.
That looks like a camera, between the backlite and the display. Or could it be a laser light?

#1477 6 years ago

I think I myself may have overreacted to the initial low res images. The artwork is growing on me the more I look at it. I can't wait to see some gameplay, as that will make or break it for me.

The minute that these shitty pictures were released, and the feedback started coming in, Stern should have bitten the bullet and brought forward their reveal. This is common practice in the entertainment industry. When there are TV and movie leaks, studios will always release the trailer immediately, as they are fully aware that inferior quality marketing, may elicit a negative reaction from the public.

Stern should have released high definition images and gameplay videos for the public to see as soon as it was leaked. I'm certain that if Stern released high resolution images, a quality promo or gameplay video from the outset, then there wouldn't have been such an overwhelmingly negative reaction. There will always be haters, but it would have been a more positive and balanced response from the pinball community.

Bring on the proper reveal Stern.

#1478 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

ZOOM on the photo.
That looks like a camera, between the backlite and the display. Or could it be a laser light?

I'm pretty sure that's the back box lock. Aerosmith has the same thing.

#1479 6 years ago

The game may yet play incredibly well but who wants a game with art that looks like someone glued Star Wars birthday plates cups and napkins to the pf. As some have said it was phoned in.
Steve Ritchie is a great guy but he will say whatever he needs to say to keep his job at Stern. He is kept on a short leash there and can only work within the parameters that Stern allows him to work with. Look at STTNG, Getaway and other games he designed for W/B and then look at the Stern games that have his name on them. They are pretty much cookie cutter fan layouts. For those of you who buy it. I hope it is the shit and you get wood every time you play it. I could never get past the birthday party playfield.

#1480 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I'm pretty sure that's the back box lock. Aerosmith has the same thing.

Dam it! It did not look like a key slot in that photo. Back lock it is then.

#1481 6 years ago

Honestly, the more I think about it the more I truly feel people's opinions will change once they play it.

A theme like Star Wars can be cheesy at first glance, based on pictures alone. But, Star Wars is very theatrical and the music and sound effects really will likely change how the entire package feels in person. Especially if it's in stereo.. combine that with the new LCD, and what could be a fast paced and great flowing layout.. could be an overall fun family pin. At first glance I was disappointed.. but I showed it to the kids and they were super excited about it. The more thought I put into it the more I'm going to be optimistic until I actually get to try it out.

I was skeptical and bashed Aerosmith.. then I played it.. and will be buying it. I am willing to bet this might be the case here too.

#1482 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

The game may yet play incredibly well but who wants a game with art that looks like someone glued Star Wars birthday plates cups and napkins to the pf. As some have said it was phoned in.
Steve Ritchie is a great guy but he will say whatever he needs to say to keep his job at Stern. He is kept on a short leash there and can only work within the parameters that Stern allows him to work with. Look at STTNG, Getaway and other games he designed for W/B and then look at the Stern games that have his name on them. They are pretty much cookie cutter fan layouts. For those of you who buy it. I hope it is the shit and you get wood every time you play it. I could never get past the birthday party playfield.

Perhaps you should wait for high resolution images before making any conclusions? I can make out very little detail with the pixilated crappy images released so far. Even Gal Godot looks average through a foggy glass window. Wipe the fog away and she is suddenly the most stunning woman you have ever seen.

Perhaps the art package in Stern SW won't be in the same league as AS or GB et. al. but I'm willing to keep an open mind.

#1483 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is a discussion forum. If you can't handle things being discussed then learn to knit or something.

The point is, it's NOT a discussion. It's a slam-fest.
But if you enjoy hundreds of hate-filled posts about how crappy playfield art is, and how disappointing it is for a massive licence, then I invite you to take a look at the Alien thread.

If you think for a second that all the negativity on here is a plus for pinball in any way, you're nuts. It's like racist biggots yelling hateful rants, and arguing that it's "free speech".

#1484 6 years ago

It's one thing to have an opinion; everyone deserves to be allowed to share their opinion and be heard.

The key, to me, is how the opinion is delivered and whether you're willing to hear and accept the opinions of others, especially when they don't align with yours.

I like what I see with SW, even in the few images we've seen. I understand others don't like what they've seen, and I'm ok with that. I tend to be easier to please and less critical with stuff like this. Or maybe all the beer is making me mellow.

I don't, however, understand the need to be mean-spirited when describing why you don't like it. Saying you don't like the assets used or the way it's laid out or composed, I get. Saying it looks like someone shit all over it, I don't get.

Just my random thoughts late on a Saturday. Can't wait to play it at the factory next month!!!

#1485 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

she is suddenly the most stunning woman you have ever seen.

You can say that again. WOW. Not Lynda Carter, but WOW!

#1486 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Steve Ritchie is a great guy but he will say whatever he needs to say to keep his job at Stern. He is kept on a short leash there and can only work within the parameters that Stern allows him to work with.

Steve right after GoT release:
"We're working on a fix for the left orbit on Game of Thrones Prem/LE"

6 months later
"(Broken) orbit works as designed."

Yeah, short leash.

#1487 6 years ago

I'm really anticipating the official reveal and gameplay video. This game is going to rock...

Rob

#1488 6 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

You can say that again. WOW. Not Lynda Carter, but WOW!

I was just telling my buddy today that she might be the most attractive woman I have ever seen. Did you see her in neighbors, WOW !!!

#1489 6 years ago

Clearly I do need to see some serious gameplay video before passing judgement. But wait...too soon you say? I need to play it first?

Maybe I'm weird but I can usually tell if a game is good enough to come into my house by watching enough video footage.

It's not foolproof...there has been one time in 17 years where I was definitely wrong in my initial assessment and that was with IM. Actually twice...played AC/DC and loved it...bought one and then sold it within three months.

#1490 6 years ago

This is actually the fun part of a pin release, when you get to over analyze low rez pics and try to figure out how the game will play.

One thing I couldn't figure out until now was the one-way gate on the left side of the horseshoe/U-turn. Then I realized the right entrance has a Video Mode insert, so normally that gate will open and allow the ball to zoom back down ala No Fear. But when video mode is lit, it will trap the ball.

Also, the modes will play out in a similar fashion to GB. Each of the 4 main modes has a dedicated insert. When mode start is ready (not sure about you get that yet), each of those 4 inserts will blink. Shoot the insert to start the corresponding mode. Who brought the dog? Tatooine is the hardest because it's the right scoop.

The left side FORCE targets have a "Lightsaber Duel" insert below them. So after x completions of spelling FORCE, you start a mode involving the orbits.

Shot multipliers. On ST, you lock these in by completing a tier of modes. But it had 6 tiers and 6 multipliers. Here there are 4 tiers of modes and 7 multipliers. So it could be like SM, complete some mode and then whatever shot you hit next gives you the multiplier till end of ball.

Standup targets are "Jedi Training." Build up enough Training to light Mystery Award at right scoop.

Pop bumpers give awards slot machine style, like Met and GB. (Please oh please. No more Level 1,2,3...)

Character Inserts. These are tied to the modes. You collect the characters after playing their respective wizard modes.
Han Solo - Hoth.
Leia - Endor.
R2D2 - Death Star.
Luke - Tatooine.

Death Star Multiball. There doesn't seem to be any "lock" inserts or indicators. So I'll go with the 3-bank in front of the LCD screen. Hit all 3 to light lock, shoot center ramp to lock (virtual lock on Pro?). Subsequent multiballs require more sets of 3.

Mini LCD: The playfield art shows X-Wing fighters attacking it. So whoever you are attacking in the mode you are in shows up on this screen. Expect AT-ATs, Tie Fighters, etc. Used as "light lock" when not in a mode. You can stack a mode with mb, but you have to have mb ready before starting the mode.

Enough time wasted. That was fun.

#1491 6 years ago

Anybody else noticed that there is different art on the back panels of the two games in the decent quality photo ?

#1492 6 years ago

I've met Steve R and like him, but think his comment is way off base. Grouping everyone on Pinside

I will beat this drum time and time again until someone at Stern listens. Your marketing is messed up. Instead of creating excitement, controlling the messaging, and developing a relationship with your customers you withhold information, ignore problems, and then publicly complain about your end customers? Your customers are not just distributors.

Your go-to-market communications program is broken. Sorry it just is. Star Wars, probably the most anticipated title in a very long time, one of the best designers and the unveiling is leaked? All the excited adult kids who've been saving their dollars react negatively - because no one knows anything else about the game other than a few low res pics!! As soon as it leaked, get the info out there ASAP! Take control of the message, take that attention and turn it positive with exciting info on design elements not seen, code, video modes, etc! versus letting your fanbase guess who now are fearing the worse.

Instead of people searching the internet with Google for Stern Star Wars pinball and seeing the first search results be negative responses on a forum, let them see the excitement and grow the demand. There are at least a dozen other things you can be doing to manage excitement instead of disappointment.

George - please create a marketing advisory board position - I'll volunteer and I'm local. There are so many more positive ways to drive your marketing messaging. Such a shame to see release after release create animosity between Stern and the community instead of sheer excitement.

#1493 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Ooooh, beat you by a whole year slacker! AND I just so happen to have the droids Mrs. Mezel needs...
Now gimmie my TWO DOLLARS!!!

IMG_1602 (resized).JPGIMG_1602 (resized).JPG

#1494 6 years ago

I don't think pinside is a desease. It's like when you say cars are dangerous. It is ridiculous.
It is not a pinside issue. Pinball fans behaviour is clearly involved in each mess. As It has been said, people just don't know how to listen and respect different points of view.
I understand Passionate discussions with passionate folks are normal. We just need to be open minded.
Now I know SR is reading Pinside, I just want to tell him he is my favorite designer (with Borg) and i'm in a Premium!

#1495 6 years ago

i feel a disturbance in the force!

opinions are like a*holes everybody.........

so stop looking at another mans a*hole if you don't wanna see it.

but(t) thats just my ........

i kinda think that the pictures are to early to realy judge about the look and translite well maybe someone in aftermarket is allready looking at new way to sell different ones?

#1496 6 years ago

I'm really surprised the Pro translite art is being praised so much. It seems like a classic example of a Photoshop collage. WAY too busy and crowded for my taste. I prefer the LE translite.

#1497 6 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I'm really surprised the Pro translite art is being praised so much. It seems like a classic example of a Photoshop collage. WAY too busy and crowded for my taste. I prefer the LE translite.

Praised by who? Sadly, I don't think anyone has praised any part of this art package.

I'm waiting for high quality images before making a judgement, but I agree that the LE translite is the pick of the bunch so far. I think people (myself included) have overreacted to the artwork. That is the problem with setting expectations so high; you're oft left a little disappointed. I look forward to seeing Stern properly reveal this machine and I'm particularly looking forward to seeing it in person later this year.

#1498 6 years ago

And here's my thought from last night's middle-of-the-night piss: I'm pretty sure, for the price, that the LE won't come with a shaker. And that's REALLY gonna piss me off...

#1499 6 years ago

You sure do piss alot Mr Boob.

#1500 6 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

You sure do piss alot Mr Boob.

Obviously, you haven't reached 52 yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 10.95
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.