8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 150.
#1151 6 years ago

While the art doesn't look good IMO, I think that ultimately it will be a fun game, if not a bit familiar. I was really hoping Stern would go all out with this one on the PF, like GB. Star Wars is such a cool theme with so much available in the universe, and this game just doesn't have that "life under glass" vibe to me.

#1152 6 years ago

I would love to see a "Troops" LE. That I would buy!

#1153 6 years ago

anyone else think rogue one would have been more fitting? since the other games have been done so many times.

#1154 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Stern lovers and Star Wars fans all I can say is, I'm sorry.

No need to apologize. I love my GOT and I'm super-excited for SW.

I'm still amazed that people haven't learned not to judge the entire game from a couple of low-res pics...

#1155 6 years ago

I figured after 11k posts, what everyone was looking for was another opinion based on no info.

I was disappointed with the reveal, mostly because I felt the pro looks too familiar and I really don't like the hyperdrive running that close to the flippers. I am 99% sure it is going to be fun, and I will love playing it. But at reveal I am asking myself "Self, do I need to call my distributor and order an LE?" Here the answer is no, I can wait and see in a year or so.

I refuse to judge the art too harshly until I can see the detail. The back to back composition on the backglass and playfield does seem strange to me. It have a struzanian feel, but it remains to see if it has that spark Struzan creates. I am no art expert, but I think the magic in Drew's work is in the eyes. The composition, along with the gazes and spark of life in the eyes draws me in. That is the difference between a Drew Struzan poster and one that is just a collage of random faces. I also think that Struzan-like compositions tend to be busier than Struzan's pieces themselves.

#1156 6 years ago

All of these knee jerk reactions from hypersensitive pinsiders is quite frankly, insulting to this hobby. I find it amazing how many people are passing eternal judgement based on low res, 3D renders with no idea for what other elements may be hidden or obscured from view. mob mentality at its finest.

Oh, and I gotta love all the critics of STERN's marketing techniques - maybe they did this for a reason, they already know that WHATEVER they show, the pinside cry babies are going to be on here bitching about it, Ghostbusters was no different, even though most thought the art package was incredible it didn't stop the vocal minority from coming online and spewing their opinions everywhere, even down to as petty as bitching about the fonts on the inserts. The insensitivity is astounding - hundreds of people are working their asses off to do the best job they can and here hundreds of people are reaming them based on very limited info. When STERN does release the high res pics they'll be an improvement over what's out and be going the right direction.

I have a feeling the majority of haters in this thread are going to be eating crow when that formal announcement and game play videos come out. "The art package sucks, there's no features on that playfield, etc. etc. etc." It's just like GOTLE - the low res 3D CAD renders looked poor, but in person the game is beautiful. "Why did they just use crappy photoshopped images on GOTLE??" Oh wait, those are actually beautifully painted pieces of art. My gut tells me the same is going to be true on the cabinet art and translite art for Star Wars. Let's all just take a moment, take a breath and wait to see what the real product is going to look like. (But yes, I can admit the playfield is a little lackluster at the moment and fundamentally has some interesting design choices).

I keep looking at the playfield layout and keep seeing little nuances that make me more excited about this every day - little things like the nudge save on the LE/Premiums by the right outlane, the two slots underneath the death star indicating an interactive ramp, the large open space by the millienum falcon on the playfield - STERN ALWAYS puts inserts clustered together in the middle to save cost and assembly, they have to have a good reason to leave that free of holes. plus the other speculation from pinsiders about other hidden magnets and features, T2 style skill shot - who knows if the drop targets are like the hobbit and are individually controlled, I'd love that for a skill shot on SW.

When John William's score starts in and that first ball is launched I'm going to be time travelling and enjoying the hell out of the game. (and if they don't launch with John Williams, then you know what, it'll likely be just like my TWD with someone elses sound package that kicks ass).

#1157 6 years ago

I dont think its "hate" as much as people are expressing initial impressions on whether they are running to Purchase.

#1158 6 years ago

Did everyone who wanted to order an LE get allocated an LE?

I know I have mine ordered.

#1159 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

All of these knee jerk reactions from hypersensitive pinsiders is quite frankly, insulting to this hobby. I find it amazing how many people are passing eternal judgement based on low res, 3D renders with no idea for what other elements may be hidden or obscured from view. mob mentality at its finest.
Oh, and I gotta love all the critics of STERN's marketing techniques - maybe they did this for a reason, they already know that WHATEVER they show, the pinside cry babies are going to be on here bitching about it, Ghostbusters was no different, even though most thought the art package was incredible it didn't stop the vocal minority from coming online and spewing their opinions everywhere, even down to as petty as bitching about the fonts on the inserts. The insensitivity is astounding - hundreds of people are working their asses off to do the best job they can and here hundreds of people are reaming them based on very limited info. When STERN does release the high res pics they'll be an improvement over what's out and be going the right direction.
I have a feeling the majority of haters in this thread are going to be eating crow when that formal announcement and game play videos come out. "The art package sucks, there's no features on that playfield, etc. etc. etc." It's just like GOTLE - the low res 3D CAD renders looked poor, but in person the game is beautiful. "Why did they just use crappy photoshopped images on GOTLE??" Oh wait, those are actually beautifully painted pieces of art. My gut tells me the same is going to be true on the cabinet art and translite art for Star Wars. Let's all just take a moment, take a breath and wait to see what the real product is going to look like. (But yes, I can admit the playfield is a little lackluster at the moment and fundamentally has some interesting design choices).
I keep looking at the playfield layout and keep seeing little nuances that make me more excited about this every day - little things like the nudge save on the LE/Premiums by the right outlane, the two slots underneath the death star indicating an interactive ramp, the large open space by the millienum falcon on the playfield - STERN ALWAYS puts inserts clustered together in the middle to save cost and assembly, they have to have a good reason to leave that free of holes. plus the other speculation from pinsiders about other hidden magnets and features, T2 style skill shot - who knows if the drop targets are like the hobbit and are individually controlled, I'd love that for a skill shot on SW.
When John William's score starts in and that first ball is launched I'm going to be time travelling and enjoying the hell out of the game. (and if they don't launch with John Williams, then you know what, it'll likely be just like my TWD with someone elses sound package that kicks ass).

Hey T-800 You are right on many levels... but when I saw this post in the Star Wars thread I immediately thought of this for some reason...

latest (resized).pnglatest (resized).png

#1160 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Not everyone here is hating on the machine.
From what we've seen, I'm excited for my LE.

Sorry, am I missing something. Have they already started pre-orders and anounced pricing? The way some people are speaking here is as if they have already pre-ordered and are in the queue. Can someone clarify. Cheers.

#1161 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

Sorry, am I missing something. Have they already started pre-orders and anounced pricing? The way some people are speaking here is as if they have already pre-ordered and are in the queue. Can someone clarify. Cheers.

If you want an LE, contact your distributor ASAP.

#1162 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

There is only one Aussie distributor and I went on their website and there is no mention of Star Wars. I'll need to call them direct I suppose. Thanks.

#1163 6 years ago

I'm intrigued about the center shot lane, looks like the lane opens up to the back with a diverter but again low res JPEGS. I've told myself this time I would reserve judgement once videos and high res images are released and even then, I'd play it before hand.

#1164 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I did, but they said it wont be officially released until Jun 6, no pricing or numbers (how many they are getting) are available yet.

#1165 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

I did, but they said it wont be officially released until Jun 6, no pricing or numbers (how many they are getting) are available yet.

They don't have a list you can be added too?

#1166 6 years ago

I couldn't tell you why, but I am a bit disappointed that they didn't go with the new trilogy over the original one.

#1167 6 years ago
Quoted from Britt-in-VA:

I couldn't tell you why, but I am a bit disappointed that they didn't go with the new trilogy over the original one.

Little kids don't buy pinball machines. Big kids do.

#1168 6 years ago
Quoted from Britt-in-VA:

Don't worry they will once the movies are done. Too much money on the table not too.

#1169 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Little kids don't buy pinball machines. Big kids do.

I don't know man, Force Awakens raked in what? A billion dollars worldwide in the theater? I'd say there's a big kid market for it. I'm 41 and saw it three times in the theater.

#1170 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

Don't worry they will once the movies are done. Too much money on the table not too.

Hope so, I think there is a lot of potential there.

#1171 6 years ago
Quoted from Britt-in-VA:

8 hasn't been released and 9 isn't in production.

Give it 3 more years and I'm sure Borg will be doing 7-9.

#1172 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I remember the night of the "Dialed In Reveal" and all the negative response here, now when you read the comments here it must be the best game ever.
Something is wrong with the pinsiders, every new game get's bashed the more hype it got before the release.

Or the marketing is atrocious and doesn't know how to steer the audience to the elements that will have positive traction and create excitement.

Instead stern continues to not have info available at launch, can't control the narrative, and can't generate positive vibes... leaving people to have to judge on static, grainy visuals that don't show the games in their best light or emphasize what they want the lead elements to be.

The public is going to move forward without delay.... marketing is there to steer them and try to influence them. Stern does neither and the horrible initial impression of games is solely at their doorstep.

#1173 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

8 hasn't been released and 9 isn't in production.
Give it 3 more years and I'm sure Borg will be doing 7-9.

I think it would have been cool if they did either Force Awakens or Last Jedi standalone (and made the announcement and reveal along with the release of the new movie).

#1174 6 years ago

But hey, I'm glad they're making a Star Wars theme. I've always said it would be an insta buy for me (I've never bought a NIB pin before, always thought this would be my fist), no matter the cost, but the reveal has given me pause.

#1175 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

You are in one of the best places in the entire country, so get out and enjoy it and de-stress a little, and maybe you can get rid of a little of that anger. Folks are commenting on the only thing they have seen so far, and they have a right to voice their opinion just like yours. It's only a game, so who cares who likes it and who does not, and I am sure a lot of opinions will change when more information is available...but again, so what. It is not "insensitive" to anyone if you don't like something....they put a product out to the public, and that is the risk they run. You like it and that should really be all that matters to you.....others don't and the world continues to turn and no one is hurt. At the end of the day, it is only pinball..........

#1176 6 years ago

I'm a huge SW universe fan...comics, graphic novels, poster art, novels series, tv shows, and of course, the movies. I've owned SWDE and SWEP1.

My daughters have also been big fans since I introduced them to the original films when they were 4- and 6-years old (16 and 18, now). If I get confused about a character, I go to my 16-year-old. They have also grown up with many different pinball machines during their lives.

I showed them the pics of the cabs first, and they both lit up. I told them there is different art on the opposite sides we haven't seen yet. I zoomed in on the translites, and my youngest asked if Struzan was the artist. Not knowing which was the pro/prem/LE, they said they liked the pro/prem equally, but still thought the LE backglass was "kinda cool."

I showed them the playfield, and my oldest said, "Are those the best pics there are? The colors look good, but hard to tell how good the art is."

I asked if they liked the art arrangement or playfield layout, and they looked at me funny. My youngest said, "Better than the Lethal Weapon art on the other Star Wars game you had!"

They're excited for the sounds, gameplay, and overall experience of another SW machine! However, they also know they might have to wait a year or two because I don't usually buy right after reveal (METLE was the exception).

No one needs to feel sorry for this SW fan and his family. We're very happy!

#1177 6 years ago
Quoted from Britt-in-VA:

I think it would have been cool if they did either Force Awakens

Personally I would have been 100% out then. Rogue one would have caught my interest though.

#1178 6 years ago

AwwwwChewie! (resized).jpgAwwwwChewie! (resized).jpg

#1179 6 years ago

I can't wait to find this game in a barn 20 years from now and restore it.

#1180 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

They don't have a list you can be added too?

I am on a "list" but they said no money to be exchanged until after the 6th.

#1181 6 years ago
Quoted from Britt-in-VA:

I don't know man, Force Awakens raked in what? A billion dollars worldwide in the theater? I'd say there's a big kid market for it. I'm 41 and saw it three times in the theater.

True. But using the old movies capitalizes on the new movies AND nostalgia.

#1182 6 years ago

I contacted my "go to distributor" yesterday early and they did say they had kept an "interest list" for some time now - a list I didn't know about and wasn't on. Money talks as they say, so I put down a deposit and reserved one of 3 LEs they had left.

Of the 3, I like the Premium art package best, but understood why ESB was chosen for that model. They will sell WAY more of the premiums than the LE, so it made sense to pick everyone's favorite movie for that model.

I have zero regrets and am really excited for the LE to arrive this year. Looking forward to the official reveal next week.

#1183 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

No need to apologize. I love my GOT and I'm super-excited for SW.
I'm still amazed that people haven't learned not to judge the entire game from a couple of low-res pics...

Boob, how dare you come into this thread with a rational, even-keeled, calm and collected thought? You bastard. Hahaha.

Quoted from T-800:

I have been merely offering my commentary and opinions on an early release crappy set of photos and PF layout, aside from "holier than thou" banter back and forth with Iceman (which just happens). As I said above, the possibilities with this theme, and for what they assumably paid for licensing...was ENDLESS. Even some of the suggestions some of you have made in this thread would have absolutely kicked ass and made the game real exciting / more attractive. But by what I've seen initially, or what was leaked....I'm meh. And for a Star Wars game, especially being put out in 2017, that is utterly disappointing.

Will it look better in person? Maybe it will. Will it be a good player? Maybe and hopefully. Will the audio be true to SW and kick ass? Hopefully. My disappointment, at this early stage, is that I thought when I FINALLY saw this thread pop up, that I would click and think "HELL YEAH!!!!" And that is not what happened.

This might as well be Star Wars: A New Hope for now, because I really HOPE that I'm happier as further info, specs gameplay and pics are released.

#1184 6 years ago

If they can't get originals for the call out's...I hope they get Bill Hader to do the Jabba voice

#1185 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

You are in one of the best places in the entire country, so get out and enjoy it and de-stress a little, and maybe you can get rid of a little of that anger. Folks are commenting on the only thing they have seen so far, and they have a right to voice their opinion just like yours. It's only a game, so who cares who likes it and who does not, and I am sure a lot of opinions will change when more information is available...but again, so what. It is not "insensitive" to anyone if you don't like something....they put a product out to the public, and that is the risk they run. You like it and that should really be all that matters to you.....others don't and the world continues to turn and no one is hurt. At the end of the day, it is only pinball..........

Just offering my useless opinion like the rest of the clowns in this thread. And now I'm off to Tilt to play some silverball.

#1186 6 years ago

Clown (resized).jpgClown (resized).jpg

#1187 6 years ago

I am also not a fan of the look of the long textureless metal ramps. I'm hoping someone can devise a nice mod to somehow alter the ramps to match the Star Wars aesthetic.

@flashinstinct, any ideas?

#1188 6 years ago

Pretty sure the pin will sell well for Stern. Star Wars was a big part of my childhood. Maybe I will ultimately want the pin after playing it. I am a bit disappointed with the release but life goes on. I don't really need another expensive pin on my want list with an already maxed out collection. Like GB, the popular theme should mean it will be easy to find on location to play.

#1189 6 years ago

T-800's soapbox view while giving said "speech."

IMG_5801 (resized).JPGIMG_5801 (resized).JPG

People are just talking for the sake of time wasting. Nobody has completely drawn their line in the sand.
(As stubborn as that would be with the current info...)
This "knee jerk reaction" is as mild as La Victoria salsa.
Don't overthink it.

#1190 6 years ago

I think pinsiders are pretty fair when judging the look of a game.

Pinside reacted very positively to initial pics of:

Metallica, Kiss, GB, and Aerosmith

Pinside reacted in a negative way to the look of:

ACDC, GOT, SW, etc...

All we can judge is the look right now. It also appears to be pretty empty and void of features...but that could be perception only.

Reality could be a lot different. I'm probably going to get an LE, so I hope the callouts, rules, music, gameplay, and features are awesome. If all those things come together it could be incredible for those of of us that have SW as our grail theme.

#1191 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I would have to agree.
At least it seems like most people can find positives/common ground about the cab art this time around.
PF art (as disjointed as it looks) will eventually be accepted as well once it's lit and playing.
Star Trek's PF art got even worse treatment when it came out and it's all water under the bridge now.
Humans adapt very quickly to change.

#1192 6 years ago

I've got a DESW, and have been looking forward to a Stern model. For my tastes, my initial reaction on cab artwork is that I'm liking the Pro & LE the best. I prefer "the good guys." Obviously then, I like the Premium cab/art the least, but if I bought one that would probably be the one I'd get. While I like the Pro art, the game looks too basic. And LE is too pricey. I'll save further judgement and my buying decision until we get more details. I've never bought a NIB machine before, so I may even have to play it first.

#1193 6 years ago

I was considering an LE, but seeing that the cost is extremely expensive here (in Canada) at probably $13,000, it would have to be extra special to pay that much for. From an aesthetics point of view, it's just not. I like the premium art package the best, by far.

The missing hyperloop on the pro is possibly a big omission, but we haven't seen it in action yet. If it's just a fancy ramp to load balls into the death star and nothing more, then maybe not such a big deal?

Really need to see how the game plays before making any purchasing decision.

Rob

#1194 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

You never, EVER want to put out a bad impression first. Ever. That's literally the worst thing you can do in marketing.

They gave Disney terrible assets to use in the video. They should have used the pic with Jerry, Steve, and Dwight as the main image, and then maybe showed a small clip of the ball in action. CAD drawings and 3D renders aren't really fit for a reveal. Now, it'll be next week when it all comes out the way it should have originally, and that will smooth things out quite a bit. But still, the initial disappointment can never be taken back.

The game will be fun. I don't think anybody should be expecting a snooze fest. And while it's possible to like the art package, it's objectively weak compared to what we're used to seeing lately in pinball. That's somewhat acceptable with lesser themes, but this is Star Wars. They really should have put an extra bit of effort into it.

I have an AC/DC. I think it's the best Stern machine ever created. It's also one of the ugliest. That's ok. I think Star Wars will be just fine and possibly even great, but it will always look worse than it deserves to look.

#1195 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Pinside reacted very positively to initial pics of:
Metallica, Kiss, GB, and Aerosmith
Pinside reacted in a negative way to the look of:
ACDC, GOT, SW, etc...
All we can judge is the look right now. It also appears to be pretty empty and void of features...but that could be perception only.
Reality could be a lot different. I'm probably going to get an LE, so I hope the callouts, rules, music, gameplay, and features are awesome. If all those things come together it could be incredible for those of of us that have SW as our grail theme.

You must be forgetting about the pages and pages of complaining about the arms, hands, and "ghost" guitar straps in KISS.

Or when the GB translite was leaked as a black and white drawing, and Pinside saying they hoped that wasn't the real thing. "Murray looks like Howard the Duck!"

You forgot the negative reaction to the "bland starfield" art of ST.

#1196 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

You must be forgetting about the pages and pages of complaining about the arms, hands, and "ghost" guitar straps in KISS.
Or when the GB translite was leaked as a black and white drawing, and Pinside saying they hoped that wasn't the real thing. "Murray looks like Howard the Duck!"

Sparky Stern stole your mini TV lcd idea they owe you royalties

#1197 6 years ago

Where's my Darth Vader vault edition?

#1198 6 years ago

Fastest growing thread in the history of Pinside.

#1199 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Where's my Darth Vader vault edition?

"Stay tuned," or "Very soon," or "Very, very soon." Wait...those are the responses for code updates. Nevermind.

#1200 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

KISS overall has a great art package. Yes, those things pointed out could have been better.

For GB Murray does look like Howard Duck. Overall a great art package but his face is no doubt a little off.

ST's playfield is bland and uninspired.

Not sure why anyone gets upset about those opinions when they are pretty much reality. A few of these games are going on route, most are going in homes and you have people trying to decide if this is work 8K or not. People have a right to be critical of big purchases and evaluate the games. I'm sure SW is going to be fun. All new pinball is for the most part. But people are trying to decide on a big purchase and are going to look at every little detail.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 10.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models
Plastics
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 210.00
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.