8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 150.
#1101 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My last 3 pins are GBLE, BM66LE and ASLE, gorgeous beauties, I still might need a Buttaface in the stable.

Quoted from iceman44:

Granted, there is ALWAYS your standard Pinside Stern hate but I am playing some AWESOME Stern pins right now, ASLE being the latest.

Quoted from iceman44:

Get an AS Curly, problem solved, that pin is GREAT.

Quoted from iceman44:

My AS pf is as good as it gets and so is my cab.

You tired? Maybe you could mention your Aerosmith pin again...and again...and again. This is a Star Wars pin thread. And you can't throw out the "You don't have one in your collection so you can't say anything" argument...nobody does and we haven't even seen gameplay. We've seen "samples" of the art and PF layout, so anybody can have an opinion...and clearly people do. As I said above, I will reserve my final critique for after I've seen one in person and played it. In reality, that's all anybody can really do.

But I am a Star Wars fan, and I'm allowed to be disappointed with what I'm seeing given all the possibilities and potential this theme had. Period.

#1102 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

You tired? Maybe you could mention your Aerosmith pin again...and again...and again. This is a Star Wars pin thread. And you can't throw out the "You don't have one in your collection so you can't say anything" argument...nobody does and we haven't even seen gameplay. We've seen "samples" of the art and PF layout, so anybody can have an opinion...and clearly people do. As I said above, I will reserve my final critique for after I've seen one in person and played it. In reality, that's all anybody can really do.
But I am a Star Wars fan, and I'm allowed to be disappointed with what I'm seeing given all the possibilities and potential this theme had. Period.

Agreed. That's the bottom line.

IMG_0183 (resized).JPGIMG_0183 (resized).JPG

#1103 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's so old, I don't think it's even in stereo.....

Star Wars had 3 versions in its original release, 70mm with 6 track dolby stereo, 35mm dolby stereo, and 35mm mono. Supposedly only 32 theaters were equipped to handle the 70mm 6 track version. 35mm mono is the format the vast majority of people saw it in back in 1977.

Here is some interesting trivia on the stereo myths regarding Star Wars:

"Another matter of interest (and controversy) is the presentation type audiences experienced in the opening weeks of release. Numerous books, trade publications, magazine and Internet articles, and fan recollections have over the years attributed "Star Wars" as having an exclusive opening in the "Dolby Stereo" process ("Dolby System" as it was then known), or having an exclusive "70mm Six-Track Dolby Stereo" opening with the 35mm versions appearing weeks later, or that the movie was the first ever to be released in Dolby Stereo. None were true! A few films were released in various forms of Dolby Stereo prior to "Star Wars" on a limited or test engagement basis such as "Tommy" (1975), "Nashville" (1975), "Lisztomania" (1975), "Logan's Run" (1976), and "A Star Is Born" (1976), though "Star Wars" was the first attempt at a wide release in the format. It appears that the distributor sought to book the film at the producers' urging in as many theatres as possible willing to install Dolby sound systems. The number of suitably-equipped venues, however, fell short of the total number of prints initially put into circulation. As for release prints in the deluxe (and expensive to produce) 70-millimeter format -- with its superior projection quality and exquisite six-track magnetic audio capability -- they were kept to a minimum. "

star_wars_70mm_01 (resized).jpgstar_wars_70mm_01 (resized).jpg

#1104 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

At first glance, there doesn't appear to be much for the ball to interact with at playfield level - only basic drops, scoop, pops, slings etc. That's pretty standard Ritchie except his games usually have at least one interactive element - AC/DC bell, GOT ramrod & kickback&upper PF, ST ship kickback.
I'm curious what happens under the Death Star when the Junkyard wire ramp is not raised. Maybe this will be a kickback GOT/ST style?

Yeah I agree besides scoops, pops, drops, ramps, slings, and flippers, and I'd bet something like a kickback, magnet, or some other ritchie trick, there's very little for the ball to interact with. Very basic! SAD!

Game is basically a flipperless circa 1938.

#1105 6 years ago

I guess Im as critical as anyone else.

Sure, it will be fast, and fun.
There will be some decent code....maybe predictable.
We will play it more, we will like it more....

But purchasing one?.......

Dont know. Space has certainly dried up, we know about costs, yet somehow, I want that "something"

For me, Dialed in has it, Maybe Houdini.

But today I inquired about a low AS, or reluctantly, ahem...my ass is in trouble here, a Stars.

Not hard for me to be thrilled with Star Wars to play, just not sure it will be in the home......

#1106 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

You've seen it all yet have you? Why not wait to express your outrage when you actually see the real deal? Period.

Btw, AS kicks ass, again.

#1107 6 years ago

Iceman in real life...

IMG_5800 (resized).JPGIMG_5800 (resized).JPG

#1108 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Iceman in real life...

Nailed it! Exactly as I imagine him too!

#1109 6 years ago

Pinside in real life NP........

why-do-kids-whine (resized).jpgwhy-do-kids-whine (resized).jpg

#1110 6 years ago

No sense of humor tonight?

#1111 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

No sense of humor tonight?

I'm in my own whiny mode Art. Aggravated by Alien, yet excited by SW AND for the benefit of the Colonel, I F ING LOVE AS!

You da man Art.

#1112 6 years ago

You all can come try mine when it arrives. It will probably be a premium arriving around March.

#1113 6 years ago

Sorry, I forget about Alien bumming you out.

I have a good feeling youll be OK there....

BTW..I'm in line for an AS, because its a blast!
Just imagine if GB had photoshop Art.......Wed have AS Godlike threads!

#1114 6 years ago

That pic is a forgery. No plaid pants on that kid!

#1115 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

and I'd bet something like a kickback, magnet, or some other ritchie trick,

Really? Did u even read my post? Maybe you can tell me what these other "Ritchie tricks" are because that was the point of the post.

#1116 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Iceman in real life...

After reading through and following the RAZA, MG, AIW shitfest thread for so long, I was thinking more like...

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

All in good fun Ice.

#1117 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Really? Did u even read my post? Maybe you can tell me what these other "Ritchie tricks" are because that was the point of the post.

I read your post and it sucked.

#1118 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My bad. I meant understand, not read.

#1119 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Quoted from cooked71:

My bad. I meant understand, not read.

LMFAO

#1120 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I was thinking more like...

Nah, Rick at least had his dad to always keep him in check...especially if/when he drank!
Unless you meant Ice is Rick's dad? (Which would also be pretty accurate.)

All good fun here Ice!
Sad to see you wound so tight these days.
Come out to Banning for Pinball Madness this October (20-22) to get some quality Rn'R. We'll play Stars, drink Modelo, and consume mass quantities of El Farolito.
Also,
For the supposed "whiny" record, I'm only commenting on art so far. (Aka channeling my pre-Alien inner Aurich! )
Gameplay as always with these flaccid Stern un-nouncements is still up in the air.

#1121 6 years ago

Pew pew pew

#1123 6 years ago

Vid, the consummate Pinside "habitual line stepper."

B-b-b-but Disney yanked slave Leia in...
Please.
That outfit is iconic.
Prints money to this day as Vid has been kind enough to show throughout the thread.
Ain't no way big D goes completely cold turkey on that.
Plus,
"Slave" Leia also kicked a bunch of ass in that skimpy outfit lest we forget.
(Way more than all the classic Disney princesses combined if I'm not mistaken.)

Man I miss the wit and wisdom of Carrie Fisher.

#1124 6 years ago

So days has gone by. Anything new from stern? Pics? Confirmation of any sort? Or still just SW background on there fb page.

#1125 6 years ago

Just played a very nice Cirqus Voltaire tonight and a Mideval Madness original right next to a premium BM66. Wow, what a difference in quality and overall value between the old BW classics and the new cookie cutter Sterns. I can't see Star Wars being any different. Who really cares about a couple of cheap LCD screens when there's obvious cost cutting measures on the playfield and unfinished code?

#1126 6 years ago

I felt the same going from DI to BM66, which really underlined how flimsy Sterns feel. Mostly it's just disappointing, which is a potent and frustrating emotion. I want pinball to progress as an art form and game style, and if anything Stern is just treading water, if not actually regressing.

#1127 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Stern is just treading water, if not actually regressing.

Stern is making a lot of cash. That is what they care about.

#1128 6 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Stern is making a lot of cash. That is what they care about.

Well, yeah, I think that's generally understood.

#1129 6 years ago

my dream you take ACDC for the layout and smooth shots, TWD for the gameplay and it gives SW in its famous atmosphere.

#1130 6 years ago

Stern will come up with some rails to add to that premium. I agree that the premium looks best (cabinet and backglass). No need for me for an LE, but maybe that changes after specs are available.

If you would go with standard lollipop rails what color what color would you powder coat the rails and legs to make the premium stand out.
Purple, Light blue, steel blue or metallic light blue or gray.....? Anyone with some Photoshop skills

#1131 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Stern will come up with some rails to add to that premium. I agree that the premium looks best (cabinet and backglass). No need for me for an LE, but maybe that changes after specs are available.
If you would go with standard lollipop rails what color what color would you powder coat the rails and legs to make the premium stand out.
Purple, Light blue, steel blue or metallic light blue or gray.....? Anyone with some Photoshop skills

A mix of some some random bits bright orange and the rest basic gray to match the snow speeders in the movie. Pick a couple: Orange coin door?, buttons, maybe something else crazy like orange back legs or something. Maybe orange grills. Then the rest grey.

IMG_3690.JPGIMG_3690.JPG

#1132 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm in my own whiny mode Art. Aggravated by Alien, yet excited by SW AND for the benefit of the Colonel, I F ING LOVE AS!
You da man Art.

Iceman is most annoying Pinside user, period.

#1133 6 years ago

it's a shame chewie, c3po and yoda don't get their character inserts (not that I can see anyway), collect the team of characters for a mission or training etc.

SR seems to have lost his originality as the games are getting even more bare and features & layout designs repeated and relying more on code, now looking forward to Dennis, Keith and John's games.

#1134 6 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Just played a very nice Cirqus Voltaire tonight and a Mideval Madness original right next to a premium BM66. Wow, what a difference in quality and overall value between the old BW classics and the new cookie cutter Sterns. I can't see Star Wars being any different. Who really cares about a couple of cheap LCD screens when there's obvious cost cutting measures on the playfield and unfinished code?

give me the old style display and a better pin. i think stern is focusing on the color display to make the game experience better. frankly they dont have the coding/coders to do this. this color display might not be a great thing for stern after all.

#1135 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Well, yeah, I think that's generally understood.

Guess my point was they don't care much about the rest unless it hits their bottom line.

#1136 6 years ago

I feel SR is a little ham stung on this title. With star trek there's always a new story to tell star trek Is about exploring and new obstacles to over come, this leaves fresh material to use.

Star wars is all about destroying to death star hence the remake of desw and the starwars movie swtfa.

I'm a richie fan and i'm sure star wars will sell well though I won't get one it's time for new designers new idea's not ham strung by license. fresh idea's.

Stern have delivered a 40th anniversary pin like it or not with 40 year old graphics.

#1137 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think Stern missed a ton of golden opportunities for LEs:
Stormtrooper LE - with cool white armor. All narration is done in the Stormtrooper voice. Rules and Modes are all about defeating the Resistance.
Slave Leia LE - Sexy "Luci" style to fire up the conservative wife. "Help me Obi Wan" hologram.
K-2SO LE - Game does whatever the fnck it wants. Head on backbox like Bonebusters, distressed black armor.
Wookie LE - Entire game covered in brown shaggy fur. Smells like a wet dog when warmed up.
Jar Jar LE - Pre-cracked cabinet joints, plays loose and wobbly. Mute button on center of lockdown bar.

Uber funny shit right there Mr Vid.

#1138 6 years ago

SW get his fans, i can understand that, but for sure as a pinball lover, i'm OK with the majority and the fact that 1st meeting with this pin & that artwork make me feel quite negative :/

now of course, gameplay + code could do it, but 1st impression remain bad

#1139 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

SW get his fans, i can understand that, but for sure as a pinball lover, i'm OK with the majority and the fact that 1st meeting with this pin & that artwork make me feel quite negative :/
now of course, gameplay + code could do it, but 1st impression remain bad

Everyone hated on dialed in too when it was first announced.

#1140 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Everyone hated on dialed in too when it was first announced.

Yes, exactly. I think the point to be made is games don't need to roll out this way. They can turn it more positive from the start.

And fine, someone will always complain about Kiss code or cabinets or something, but you don't need to have everyone sour on the announcement right out of the gate.

#1141 6 years ago

Stern lovers and Star Wars fans all I can say is, I'm sorry.

#1142 6 years ago

Well I decided to pass on my LE, I had a gut feeling that it was not for me. I really did not want to pay over 8K for a rehashed AC/DC. So disappointed, like a kid at Christmas who gets a pair of socks. Oh well, so many good titles out there. I am now leaning towards Houdini. Anyone selling older HUO pins to buy SW-hit me up (;

#1143 6 years ago

Not everyone here is hating on the machine.

From what we've seen, I'm excited for my LE.

#1144 6 years ago

I remember the night of the "Dialed In Reveal" and all the negative response here, now when you read the comments here it must be the best game ever.
Something is wrong with the pinsiders, every new game get's bashed the more hype it got before the release.
I bet in a few month the first reviews will come in and Star Wars will be the best game ever.

And in a few years Dialed In will still have it's fans and Stern Star Wars will still have it's fans. And we will love both games, cause we love pinball. But we will still bash the next new shit that will come out then.

#1145 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Well I decided to pass on my LE, I had a gut feeling that it was not for me. I really did not want to pay over 8K for a rehashed AC/DC. So disappointed, like a kid at Christmas who gets a pair of socks. Oh well, so many good titles out there. I am now leaning towards Houdini. Anyone selling older HUO pins to buy SW-hit me up (;

You seem to be more disappointed to not have spent your money then not bought SW.
I'm sure you already have some HUO to buy now.

#1146 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I remember the night of the "Dialed In Reveal" and all the negative response here, now when you read the comments here it must be the best game ever.
Something is wrong with the pinsiders, every new game get's bashed the more hype it got before the release.
I bet in a few month the first reviews will come in and Star Wars will be the best game ever.
And in a few years Dialed In will still have it's fans and Stern Star Wars will still have it's fans. And we will love both games, cause we love pinball. But we will still bash the next new shit that will come out then.

I'm not feeling it with SW and I'm still not feeling it with DI either.

Still hoping (but losing faith) that Alien ships. AS looks like the most fun you can have right now and Houdini and Total Annihilation look interesting.

#1147 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

We've done this a few times before (WOZ for example has a zero negativity tolerance safe zone thread). I'll bounce the idea across the other mods and see if the team feels we should do something like that for Star Wars; likely too early for the need of a thread like that but I'm not opposed.

This should be made for every new game imo. Hell the club threads get shit on from time to time even.

#1148 6 years ago

im so exited about my commin SW LE, dont understand the critisisim without trying the game.

Total (nuclear) Annihilation looks/sounds great, im on the list when its comes out, any release date on it?

#1149 6 years ago

All this negative talk about the game is such great news.. I wrote my favorite reseller in late March and asked to get on the LE pre-list, and they told me there was already 40+ people on it. I'm hoping that everyone else decides they don't want one, so I can get one.

#1150 6 years ago

In the end, I think the artwork is the least important thing to me. I just want a fun lasting game that doesn't fall apart.

I was really interested in BM66 - love love love the art package and theme - but once I played the machines in Allentown, I lost interest.
Game was not a lot of fun, and out of the 3 or so machines there, I think 2 had broken/missing parts and with one the turntable thingy stopped working.

DI was exact opposite - theme and artwork turned me off, played the game in person and love it.

S0 .... give me a great fun game with a decent theme and some sort of a quality build, and I can overlook average artwork.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/23?hl=ecto1a2003 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.