8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 150.
#951 6 years ago
Quoted from GGBGROUP:

Looking at the pictures, below is a quick mock-up of what I see as far as shots and targets. Flow looks OK... it appears that we have a '4 loop' shot layout with two set-up as ramps. Then we have two sets of drop targets as well as 2-3 pops and a VUK...Also a toy that might open and have balls drop onto the playfield, sonething similar to the AS toy box? The on-screen LED is nice but I don't think key to game play or flow. Unfortunately nothing that is too unique or different as I look at the whole layout. Not sure what Steve would brag about here as far as the layout and shot design?

child's illustration of a ghost?

#952 6 years ago

Art this, layout that. Psh. The only thing that really matters is code and how fun it is to play. Code = rules, animations, sounds. Polish is the key word, just put the work into it Stern and it'll be great.

TWD is an amazing game. Why? Code! Sure ain't the photo shop art or clunky layout.

#953 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Not all new games with the lockdown bar button had a metal plate.
All versions of Batman66 used a vinyl sticker around the button. I found that somewhat disappointing considering the price of the game.

It still had something around the button, has there been any Stern with a button on the lockdown bar without a plate or sticker to dress the button up since that became the thing to do?

#954 6 years ago

Steve's games may not be innovative but they always play great. I like all the metal ramps and habitrails at the premium level. Sounds, lights and LCD displays should bring the theme home. Playfield art is good enough, IMO.

I won't be buying as I tend to like games that are packed with stuff and I already have a few of Steve's games. However, I think Star Wars fans and those without one of Steve's games will be happy.

#955 6 years ago

There are not many of us that are thrilled or even like the artwork but I dont think we should be aiming that criticism or throwing our pitchforks at Stern for it they had their hands tied in that department.

Jeremy aka ZombieYeti posted earlier in this thread the artwork was done by Disney artists, I'm pretty sure if Stern could have used one of their in house talents like Jeremy they would have.

Stern do a lot that often disappoints some of us but this time I doubt the artwork disappointment is on them.

#956 6 years ago

I know this has probably been mentioned in another thread. With the $400 jump in price on the new LCD display games, what is the going street price for NIB premiums?

#957 6 years ago

I have been thinking for some time that Star Wars would be Stern's biggest challenge. Its probably the most expensive license they have ever bought, and could lead to a lower production cost machine to compensate and stay at the same price point. The only way to make up the difference in lower quality, or less populated game is in the gameplay. If anyone can do it, Steve Ritchie can.

#958 6 years ago
Quoted from tl54hill:

I have been thinking for some time that Star Wars would be Stern's biggest challenge. Its probably the most expensive license they have ever bought, and could lead to a lower production cost machine to compensate and stay at the same price point. The only way to make up the difference in lower quality, or less populated game is in the gameplay. If anyone can do it, Steve Ritchie can.

The game may be great. Certainly hope so. However, if it's not, they would have been better off adding $200 to $500 to the BOM and charging more.

#959 6 years ago
Quoted from Rico_Roughneck:

I know this has probably been mentioned in another thread. With the $400 jump in price on the new LCD display games, what is the going street price for NIB premiums?

I'd say list price minus $200 if you ask for it. Pickup and save $300 shipping. See some AS Prems listed for $7395 including shipping.

#960 6 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Check out Alien's playfield ... it looks even better in real life with lighting.
I think Star Wars' art is going to mix well with the lighting (I suspect they'll change the color of the lighting depending on mode ... that is sheer speculation, but I can't see them *not* doing that).

I have my fingers crossed that do RGB GI and can change the GI on the floor for the modes your in, yellow oranges and red shades for tatooine modes, blue and whites for hoth, greens blues whites for endor and stark whites for Death Star modes, would really add a massive visual depth to the game plus being damn cool in the process.

#961 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I have my fingers crossed that do RGB GI and can change the GI on the floor for the modes your in, yellow oranges and red shades for tatooine modes, blue and whites for hoth, greens blues whites for endor and stark whites for Death Star modes, would really add a massive visual depth to the game plus being damn cool in the process.

Might be why the background is so blue, easily contrasted out with the GI. I really was hoping for a hologram feature, but the playfield LCD could simulate that I guess.

#962 6 years ago

Topper for sale. Tape from 1983 no extra charge. $17,666. Low ball offers will be ignored.
20170601_155341 (resized).jpg20170601_155341 (resized).jpg

#963 6 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

Art this, layout that. Psh. The only thing that really matters is code and how fun it is to play. Code = rules, animations, sounds. Polish is the key word, just put the work into it Stern and it'll be great.
TWD is an amazing game. Why? Code! Sure ain't the photo shop art or clunky layout.

I agree. While the playfield, backglass and side art are key, the most important things for me are: (1) how fun the game is to shoot; (2) how innovative and intuitive the rules are; and (3) the immersion level of the game.

I was and continue to be extremely excited about this game. Hell, I have a life sized Darth Vader in my gameroom.

As far as the visuals so far (based on the low res pics), I think the game is ok. It is about what I had expected. I think it looks good. ESB is probably my favourite movie, and I love the villains, so the premium artwork looks the best to me so far. The backglass on the LE is the biggest let down for me. I think it is possible that Stern may have some lighting effects to simulate "light speed" when that occurs in the game. That would be pretty cool. I think I just expected the LE to be more of a dark side / Vader vibe. I do like the glossy legs and armor on the LE.

As for how fun the game is to shoot, I trust Steve will deliver. It is a fan layout, and does have similarities to ACDC, but it does add an extra shot to the main playfield shots, so some of the shots may be a bit tougher to hit than ACDC. I expect it to feel buttery smooth. The metal ramps look great. I hope the Death Star and hyperspace features are well integrated. Maybe Steve was able to perfect the hyperspace shot based on the issues he had with the changed kickout on Star Trek (when it was changed to an upkick to the inlane). Really curious to see how the mech works under the Death Star on the premium / LE. Is it a ramp to shoot up, or a ramp that drops balls down? The extra LCD screen on the playfield could be a great addition. Hoping for magnets somewhere, or at lease something behind the 3 bank on the premium / LE.

For the rules, I have full faith and trust in Dwight. He absolutely cares about the games he puts out and I know he has been working hard on this title for a while. His code on GOT is simply amazing (all it needs is a few more callouts ). I expect great integration of modes and scoring strategies.

The final thing that is critical is the theme integration / immersion level. What I want in a game is to feel like I am in the world of the licence. And of all licences out there, Star Wars has the most iconic sounds, voice callouts and lighting effects. This can make or break this game. I so desperately hope that they have the full licence to use all the movie quotes, sounds (e.g. lightsaber, tie fighter, lasers, x-wing) and music from the movies. I want to FEEL the game. The lack of "toys" and average art can be rendered completely moot if the game is completely immersive. Think Tron. The playfield art on Tron is ok at best. There is what, one interactive toy on that game (i.e. 3 bank with the spinner). But yet when you play it, you enter the world of Tron due to the lighting, voices, and music. Same thing with Ironman and LOTR. I would absolutely take complete licence integration on this theme over a few extra toys on the playfield.

I cannot wait to share this game with my son and daughter. I know they will love it and it will be something we can share for years to come.

#964 6 years ago

As a Star Wars fan, I like all of the cabinets but I think I do like the Premium best.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#965 6 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

I agree. While the playfield, backglass and side art are key, the most important things for me are: (1) how fun the game is to shoot; (2) how innovative and intuitive the rules are; and (3) the immersion level of the game.
I was and continue to be extremely excited about this game. Hell, I have a life sized Darth Vader in my gameroom.
As far as the visuals so far (based on the low res pics), I think the game is ok. It is about what I had expected. I think it looks good. ESB is probably my favourite movie, and I love the villains, so the premium artwork looks the best to me so far. The backglass on the LE is the biggest let down for me. I think it is possible that Stern may have some lighting effects to simulate "light speed" when that occurs in the game. That would be pretty cool. I think I just expected the LE to be more of a dark side / Vader vibe. I do like the glossy legs and armor on the LE.
As for how fun the game is to shoot, I trust Steve will deliver. It is a fan layout, and does have similarities to ACDC, but it does add an extra shot to the main playfield shots, so some of the shots may be a bit tougher to hit than ACDC. I expect it to feel buttery smooth. The metal ramps look great. I hope the Death Star and hyperspace features are well integrated. Maybe Steve was able to perfect the hyperspace shot based on the issues he had with the changed kickout on Star Trek (when it was changed to an upkick to the inlane). Really curious to see how the mech works under the Death Star on the premium / LE. Is it a ramp to shoot up, or a ramp that drops balls down? The extra LCD screen on the playfield could be a great addition. Hoping for magnets somewhere, or at lease something behind the 3 bank on the premium / LE.
For the rules, I have full faith and trust in Dwight. He absolutely cares about the games he puts out and I know he has been working hard on this title for a while. His code on GOT is simply amazing (all it needs is a few more callouts ). I expect great integration of modes and scoring strategies.
The final thing that is critical is the theme integration / immersion level. What I want in a game is to feel like I am in the world of the licence. And of all licences out there, Star Wars has the most iconic sounds, voice callouts and lighting effects. This can make or break this game. I so desperately hope that they have the full licence to use all the movie quotes, sounds (e.g. lightsaber, tie fighter, lasers, x-wing) and music from the movies. I want to FEEL the game. The lack of "toys" and average art can be rendered completely moot if the game is completely immersive. Think Tron. The playfield art on Tron is ok at best. There is what, one interactive toy on that game (i.e. 3 bank with the spinner). But yet when you play it, you enter the world of Tron due to the lighting, voices, and music. Same thing with Ironman and LOTR. I would absolutely take complete licence integration on this theme over a few extra toys on the playfield.
I cannot wait to share this game with my son and daughter. I know they will love it and it will be something we can share for years to come.

Like saying "heck yes she is ugly, but she sure can cook".........

#966 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

There are not many of us that are thrilled or even like the artwork but I dont think we should be aiming that criticism or throwing our pitchforks at Stern for it they had their hands tied in that department.
Jeremy aka ZombieYeti posted earlier in this thread the artwork was done by Disney artists, I'm pretty sure if Stern could have used one of their in house talents like Jeremy they would have.

This would hold water if the licensed digital Star Wars Pinball games didn't have much better composition. They're licensed, too, require Disney approval, and they are in many cases better than what we have here. Plus, they cost $10-$40, not $8000. Face it, this is an art direction issue.

#967 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It would be kind of interesting if there was a collapsing AT-AT somewhere on the playfield. Maybe like the mini playfield on WOZ where you flip the ball around it like it was a snowspeeder, and eventually get the AT-AT to fall down.
Like this:

dogs (resized).JPGdogs (resized).JPG

#968 6 years ago

Keep in mind the models shown are renderings, art combinations of the 3 models may be different on the production games.

#969 6 years ago

I just hope to be able to play any new model before my likely soonest opportunity at the York show. When GB was released it was right before a York show and my wife and I were excited to play it. And we did play it a lot and liked it. But we decided to buy a GoT pro instead because we just had SO MUCH FUN playing it.

The huge difference in artwork between the two games wasn't a factor for us because we had a blast playing GoT. So even though GB is way cooler looking, GoT looks like the TV show and we both are fans of the show so it was what we expected it to look like.

I'd suspect plenty of fans of Star Wars will be happy with the cabinet choices and playfield artwork won't matter if the game is just fun. Now add in the LCD displays, great sound and light and I think this is a winner.

#970 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This would hold water if the licensed digital Star Wars Pinball games didn't have much better composition. They're licensed, too, require Disney approval, and they are in many cases better than what we have here. Plus, they cost $10-$40, not $8000. Face it, this is an art direction issue.

And that direction, I take it, is thumbs down? Personally I like the lack of action figures and having ship centric toys. Exactly what I was hoping for. The cabinet and backglass on the premium I like the most. Seems like you are fighting the "bad" guys with Vader and villians on there..pf art I see the point that its lacking. That's the only issue I can see with the game if its SR flowy as expected. I am one of those, no to the themes of similar layout games like SM and ACDC but I do like ST though. So no re-hash issues for me. I figure this is a 2018 purchase for me. One aside, I have MMR and I really like the combo of plastic ramps, metal ramp entrance coupled with wire form ball return. I think this looks better than all metal ramps, the selective use of ramp plastic allows better pf field of vision, acuity or something I can't quite explain.

#971 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

And that direction, I take it, is thumbs down? Personally I like the lack of action figures and having ship centric toys. Exactly what I was hoping for. The cabinet and backglass on the premium I like the most. Seems like you are fighting the "bad" guys with Vader and villians on there..pf art I see the point that its lacking. That's the only issue I can see with the game if its SR flowy as expected. I am one of those, no to the themes of similar layout games like SM and ACDC but I do like ST though. So no re-hash issues for me. I figure this is a 2018 purchase for me. One aside, I have MMR and I really like the combo of plastic ramps, metal ramp entrance coupled with wire form ball return. I think this looks better than all metal ramps, the selective use of ramp plastic allows better pf field of vision, acuity or something I can't quite explain.

I'm okay with the Premium backglass and most of the cab panels, but that Playfield art is atrocious.

I agree that a combination of metal and plastic ramps when artfully applied, can help the look over all wireform or all plastic.

#972 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

As a Star Wars fan, I like all of the cabinets but I think I do like the Premium best.

I was planning to get on a list for an LE and was caught off guard. It appears that the LEs are long sold out, so I have been looking closer at the Premium and I like it! That is my favorite art package and it will give me a chance to look at game play. It looks fast and tons of flow, which makes it my kind of game. I have a feeling that when we finally see the balls flying around on that ramp, it will be amazing. If it doesn't turn out to be great I'll grab an AS, Metallica or IMVE. All are way better than DI.

#973 6 years ago

I think I'm in the minority here, but I was actually hoping this game was going to be based on the latest movies (at least partially) and not just episodes 4-6.

#974 6 years ago

Actually the ramps could have been like MMR, plastic with wire form ball returns and this would allow for a different metallic look, insert the M Falcon hatchway\ship entrance ramp metal pattern under the plastic sections of the ramp to look like the LE lit side rails. I predict ramp mods.

#975 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I went from meh to all excited

#976 6 years ago

Got to say, with the price a pro is today, a few years back you could have brought an LE for the same price.

Pretty lame that Stern cannot use wire ramps on the Pro.

#977 6 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Keep in mind the models shown are renderings, art combinations of the 3 models may be different on the production games.

Some pretty convincing renderings for Steve and Dwight to be able to stand next to them!

#978 6 years ago

Probably a pipe dream but maybe Stern is going to surprise us all and price it below their current MSRP because it is somewhat "stripped down."
They could potentially sell even more of this game to more first time buyers (the traditional Star Wars fan...not pinball addicts like us) to cover margins and create new consumers for future games.

Probably not gonna happen but a boy can dream.

#979 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Its certainly my favorite of the bunch. I wonder how it would look with white armor, storm trooper addition? Looks like it already has white trim around the head.

#980 6 years ago

Also not impressed. Still getting the LE though I think the premium looks best.

#981 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Some pretty convincing renderings for Steve and Dwight to be able to stand next to them!

True , forgot about that pic prototypes? BM66 came to mind when the backbox side art didn't match what was shown pre production.

#982 6 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Probably a pipe dream but maybe Stern is going to surprise us all and price it below their current MSRP because it is somewhat "stripped down."
They could potentially sell even more of this game to more first time buyers (the traditional Star Wars fan...not pinball addicts like us) to cover margins and create new consumers for future games.
Probably not gonna happen but a boy can dream.

Yes. Pipe dream. Same as Aerosmith pricing, I heard.

#983 6 years ago

This game looks great! I'm not talking about the pf art, which is way better than got or st (I don't notice art while playing those awesome games).

7 shots, drop bank, and the targets or whatever is under the pf lcd. Possibly a Congo style skill shot (my favorite in pinball). Lots of flow and it doesn't look like the ramps will be backhand-able which will encourage rapid, cross-pf, ramp and loop flow. Deep, narrow shots will make you feel like you're bulls-eyeing womp rats when you're locked in. Can't wait to see more.

#984 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Not all new games with the lockdown bar button had a metal plate.
All versions of Batman66 used a vinyl sticker around the button. I found that somewhat disappointing considering the price of the game.

BLUF: New potential owners need to start watching more closing the features in the games that they are considering buying.

The button script moulding was another example of "invisible" cost cutting decisions by Stern to increase profits, just like backglass boondoggle. They knew they could get away with it.

These are the things people naysay. It was an excellent representation of things people rarely catch and exemplifies continued degradation of game build quality even in comparison to games made by their own company less than 5 years ago, let alone 20 years in the past by other manufacturers.

The provided quality is simply not comparative to MSRP, and production material and labor costs have not skyrocketed in the industry. In many cases owners are paying over 40% more for less of a game. In the specific case of BM66, it was astronomical.

It is not about price, only what you receive for your money.

#985 6 years ago

Stern, you sank my battleship.

#986 6 years ago

ok, thanks to ZombiYeti for clarifying that the art is no cheap photoshop product.
(but it looks as it is... )

but: is this an uplift (forklift )ramp underneath the death star? ( yunk yard alike ?)
and on the right side : a simple kickout hole or a subway ramp ?

sw uplift ramp (resized).pngsw uplift ramp (resized).png

subway sw (resized).pngsubway sw (resized).png

#987 6 years ago

If you set the game to HOME Mode... it would be nice to hear an Easter Egg Harrison Ford say "Chewie we're home"

#988 6 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

If you set the game to HOME Mode... it would be nice to hear an Easter Egg Harrison Ford say "Chewie we're home"

The Easter Egg is the Death Star when it splits open and reveals the prize inside.

#989 6 years ago

I just hope they resisted the urge to add a video game mode to this game. I realize the temptation would be strong given the source material but man do I hate video game modes (and yes I have two games that have them, and they both stink).

#990 6 years ago

LE has a metal apron, hope the Premium will have the same

#991 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

The Easter Egg is the Death Star when it splits open and reveals the prize inside.

OH SNAP.

#992 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I just hope they resisted the urge to add a video game mode to this game. I realize the temptation would be strong given the source material but man do I hate video game modes (and yes I have two games that have them, and they both stink).

Pretty sure that is what the video mode insert is for on the playfield. Haha

#993 6 years ago

I loved GOT and ST. Very much looking forward to seeing the gameplay reveal... I can definitely see picking this up down the line. Congrats to everybody that was able to snag an LE.

#994 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I just hope they resisted the urge to add a video game mode to this game.

It's like the old saying goes, "Dwight on code? Video mode!"

#995 6 years ago

When I'm betraying my best buddy then speeding off to a galaxy far far away, there's only one choice for my Pingulp : Colt .45
20170601_171454 (resized).jpg20170601_171454 (resized).jpg

#996 6 years ago

the cab art on all three looks great.

#997 6 years ago

walker (resized).JPGwalker (resized).JPG

#998 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Would have been cool if there was a green laser that fired into another planet blowing that up to release the multi ball.

Looks like the Death Star has green LEDs built into it, it would be good if it interacts with the LCD on the playfield, Death Star LEDs come on and LCD shows clip of Alderaan being blown to bits.

#999 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I have hope
For some reason all the cabinet and playfield photos turn me off
But looking at this photo which somewhat shows what the playfield looks like when given depth.....this is effin badass
https://images.pinside.com/f/cb/fcb2b092ea13c139c692edb438f1a7a8fa6222ef/resized/large/fcb2b092ea13c139c692edb438f1a7a8fa6222ef.jpg

Actually very true! The top down view does nothing to help sell this game. When viewed from a player perspective the game looks pretty nice if you ask me.

#1000 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You'll see.
When you have all 6 of your SW games next to each other, there are only 2 that don't look like a lunchbox:

I like the DE backglass. I think it's really well done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 21.50
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/20?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.