8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 150.
#751 6 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

It's always interesting to see different countries take on Stern releases.
UK forums: 'yeah looks like a fun game, artwork isn't too bad.'
Australia forums: 'Cool, hope they get enough sent down here'
Pinside: 'OMG THIS GAME SUCKS LOOK AT THAT PHOTOSHOP RAGE RAGE'

IMG_3401 (resized).JPGIMG_3401 (resized).JPG

#752 6 years ago

I can't believe there was no code update today

#753 6 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

I'm unfortunately not suprised by this. Stern seem to continually cut more and more things out or just are not interested in putting in a little extra effort.
I'm sure they could have easily thought up something that would have looked better.

Absolutely. Also, with GB LE, AS LE, and now SW LE the only difference between the premium / LE is different artwork, baked on enamel armor(not a true high quality powder coat) and mirrored backglass...for $1500 more. Where is the value that Stern offered with Star Trek LE?

#754 6 years ago

I like the game so far but I do agree that there where many things that could have been included and where not. One thing I wish they would have had was a light saber that would light up along the shooter lane almost like star wars episode 1

#755 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I'm thinking Richie just isnt big on having amazing art, look at past games, all pretty ugly, but fun. I think our expectations were just very high since Sterns last handful of games have knocked it out of the park art wise. Thought they had turned a corner and realized that people do care what the game looks like.
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)
Elvis (2004)
World Poker Tour (2006)
Spider-Man (2007)
"24", based on 24 (2009)
AC/DC (2012)
Star Trek (2013)
Game of Thrones (2015)

Maybe he takes the art budget and puts it into toys/trim. "You don't play the art"

#756 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Dude you've been here 2 years...

IMG_3406 (resized).JPGIMG_3406 (resized).JPG

#757 6 years ago

Not terribly impressed, machine needs a giant wookie's arse toy where the skill/challenge shot is to shoot the puckering freckle

#758 6 years ago

It seems like a lot of the negative reactions to a lot of games is just the piecemeal way they're announced.

Show us playfield art, well, what else is there to talk about?

Have only blurry screen captures as the first impressions of your game... well, who's fault is that?

Cell phone photo of a game is all that is out there?

Cell phone video of someone bricking shots on an unbalanced game?

These errors are made time and time again. If any of the above happen you are GUARANTEED to get the reaction you are getting here. We KNOW this, yet all companies seem to think this is still the 1980s and they can roll out information in their own sweet time.

#759 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Maybe he takes the art budget and puts it into toys/trim. "You don't play the art"

Must have just pocketed it on this one then

But really look at when GB was announced - looked awesome, since we are going to be looking at just pics for a month better art would generate more interest in buying unplayed. Though Stern had figured that one out already since MET, TWD, GB, BM66, AS have all had exellent art.

#760 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Why is everyone bashing this game already nobody has played it art looks pretty rad and the toys look to be killer and very different and check out all those wire forms and not to mention a ton of mods inserts. Everyone was doing the same bitching when acdc came out because it looked exactly like t2; this looks way different and the toys looks awesome. How the hell can you even Judge the game on the few pics that are here?

That's Pinside baby!!!

#761 6 years ago

Looks like fun. Not sure about art, but it always looks better in person. I expect sounds and play to be great.

Alternate translights $12 + S&H.

IMG_1387 (resized).JPGIMG_1387 (resized).JPG

#762 6 years ago

Looks like Stern got effed in the a by Disney with the source material that was provided to them.

It's simple, input crap, output crap. It looks like...I don't know Sega X-Files combined with Starship Troopers.

Maybe gameplay will be a lot better than the artwork.

#763 6 years ago

I'm likely going to break my own rules and buy a first run premium. It's way too early to cast judgment on the game for me. Art package doesn't bother me, game play, interaction, sound and lights are key for me. You know the game will have great flow. Since Lucas is heavily involved (they actually did the release yesterday) I'm going to assume the game will have genuine actor callouts, unlike twd.

What I am a little disappointed about is the sparse playfield, like bm66, and the lack of obvious innovation. Stern always seems to be a step or two behind jjp.

Like others have mentioned​, game play that somehow ties into "the force" could be really cool. I agree that a hologram from r2d2 should have been included, maybe it will.

I'll have to see where this drops out price wise, but if I can get a premium with a low to mid 6 handle, I'll bite. 7 handle is out and I'll go for DI.

#764 6 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

One thing I wish they would have had was a light saber that would light up along the shooter lane almost like star wars episode 1

At LEAST they've learned that including the long-style shooter lane takes away one extra shot. By having it spit out early, it freed up the real estate for the scoop lane on the right.

#765 6 years ago

Just listened to "That K guy" podcast. He talks about you're Han Solo controlling the Millennium Falcon as a player.

I think this would've been better (maybe they use this?). You play as you're controlling 4 ships.

A New Hope: X-Wing - Modes + sub-modes
Empire: Snowspeeder - Modes + sub-modes
Jedi: Speeder Bike - Modes + sub-modes

Final Death Star Battle: Millenium Falcon - You can only choose this by completing the other modes.

Maybe throw in a Tie Fighter mystery mode as well.

I can dream.

Help me Dwight Sullivan. You're my only hope.

#766 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

There is nothing on it for goodness sake. There is a few ramps and a cheap Deathstar toy. A chimp with one thumb up his ass with a box full of parts could have done better.

I have a crazy idea. Why don't you WAIT until you see higher quality pics, and video of gameplay, before you call something a "Piece of Shit".

Crazy, I know

#767 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

At LEAST they've learned that including the long-style shooter lane takes away one extra shot. By having it spit out early, it freed up the real estate for the scoop lane on the right.

They could have always reused the desw style jumping/ramped shooting lane

#768 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

own rules and buy a first run premium

Why would you do that at this point??? Given gb clear coat, cabinets cracking, and that premiums are unlimited.. why would you "break your own rule" ? I can semi understand for LE but not premium..

#769 6 years ago

My prediction: Once people see and hear the game, the premiums will be a huge seller.

Steve Ritchie + Dwight Sullivan + LCD + Star Wars Original Trilogy = me sending in my check for the LE.

#770 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I agree with what you said about the shooter lane but maybe they could have still paced a light saber along the side even with how the shooter lane is right now i am sure some one could make this as a mod.

#771 6 years ago

I think I can safely pop in and share a few things (and if not - these are all LIES!), just to quell the 'Photoshop' rage.... these are NOT photoshop - these are painted compositions in a semi-Struzan style... done by Disney Star Wars artists... The cabinet's have differing artwork on both sides of each package too.

They look great in person & the game plays so... (*door breaks down* "hey, who are you guys? What are those gun shaped things in your hands pointed at me!?") ...

#772 6 years ago

I'll be bold and say I am looking forward to trying it.

I lost my mind temporarily and thought "if it is great, would I buy it?".

Then I remembered the recent "broken node board and you're screwed out of ~$400-500 Cad thread", busted cabinets, disintegrating playfields etc. and thought... nope.

The node board lack of repairability alone is a deal breaker at this point. Who wants to start shotgun repairing possibly a series of boards that are this expensive? It is bad enough to be doing that with parts on a single PCB.

Still, as far as "fun new pinball" goes, this looks like it should be fun, providing the code and LCD/visual/sound integration isn't crap.

And you can't blame them for constantly re-running fan layout playfields, it seems to be what everybody opens their wallets for, even if it is akin to having an ice cream company have 80% of their products be a slightly different take on vanilla. If your customers mostly buy vanilla and complain when you try something new... guess what happens.

I think JJP was a bit of a madman not just doing a straight up fan layout on his first pin. If you need to learn to walk before you learn to run may as well copy what is selling well and has been popular for 20+ years.

#773 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Why would you do that at this point??? Given gb clear coat, cabinets cracking, and that premiums are unlimited.. why would you "break your own rule" ? I can semi understand for LE but not premium..

Leap of faith that this game won't see those same issues and, like GOt, code will be further along at release. I also have a great distro that I'm confident would go to bat for me. We will see, I haven't put any money down yet.

I bought a met pro back in November that was made that same month, zero issues.

#774 6 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I think I can safely pop in and share a few things (and if not - these are all LIES!), just to quell the 'Photoshop' rage.... these are NOT photoshop - these are painted compositions in a semi-Struzan style... done by Disney Star Wars artists... The cabinet's have differing artwork on both sides of each package too.
They look great in person & the game plays so... (*door breaks down* "hey, who are you guys? What are those gun shaped things in your hands pointed at me!?") ...

Appreciate the comments Jeremy.

Bold move: Get them to release some hi-res art for us!
Nudge them! Ignore the guns!

#775 6 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Because the new characters suck.

Yup. That's why TFA grossed $936 million domestic, $2 billion worldwide, had great holds weekend to weekend, and an A+ CinemaScore from audiences.

You know, because it sucked.

#776 6 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

If they're storm trooper don't even worry...they have terrible aim.

#777 6 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I don't think the medium was criticized as much as the art itself. It's not cohesive....it's amateurly arranged around the pf. Most of the criticism I've been reading about it in this thread rings true. This is one of the biggest themes in the world....it deserved more than the AC/DC treatment.

The Millennium Falcon is the center piece in the middle of the pf, glowing and facing the wrong way, 4 characters dropped below it, 3 humans firing lazers and one droid out of scale shoe horned in the middle of them. Just look at he some of the virtual pinball developers did with the license...they have 1/10 of Stern's resources.

#778 6 years ago

Surely this is not real

Looks like something zizzle made in china

Time for new blood in pinball design, there are a lot of creative people out there??

#779 6 years ago

Why did it have to be a SR game. Does he do anything new ever? Flow, flow, flow makes for a fast game but not necessarily a good/great game. Really had hoped for a different designer on this or perhaps for SR to change it up some but another fan layout... Wait till you play...yes, sure, but I still have yet to play a SR game I really like. Both of his Star Trek games are among my favorites of his design, but this looks like GOT and MET and AC/DC just had a three way and Luke and Leia weren't the offspring. Not too bad a thing though as I've been falling off the SW bandwagon I've been riding since childhood. Disneyfication of things tends to do that to me. A neat SW shirt used to be cool but now they're just too ubiquitous.

#780 6 years ago

Looks great! Can't wait to play one!

#781 6 years ago

The Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru remains action figures are the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

Please tell me somebody makes them. I'll take 3 sets. I was crying I was laughing so hard.

#782 6 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Not too bad a thing though as I've been falling off the SW bandwagon I've been riding since childhood. Disneyfication of things tends to do that to me.

So you stayed on the bandwagon through the atrocious Prequels, and now that Disney is righting the ship, you're falling off?

#783 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Surely this is not real
Time for new blood in pinball design, there are a lot of creative people out there??

Hey thats an insult to Zizzle! Even their artwork looks better put together.
20170601_085728 (resized).jpg20170601_085728 (resized).jpg

#784 6 years ago

That a'int no Zizzle!

#785 6 years ago

I get the impression that this may rely heavily on the playfield level LCD. May be cool, maybe not as much as Stern hopes.

I do think that it's quite possible that a lot of the negative reaction to the playfield (aside from art, which doesn't bother me), is the fact that Star Wars has always been a toy, trinket, gizmo, gadget, model, miniature, etc driven property. It just evokes that idea in people's heads. I mean, who among us doesn't have SOME Star Wars THING in their house SOMEWHERE. So, when you see a playfield that isn't (noticeably) packed with gizmos, miniatures, toys, effects, etc., the natural reaction is at least slight disappiontment, at least with that aspect. Can't wait to play it though!

#786 6 years ago

I wonder what the El paper will do for rails on LE and if it will be one color or multi-color?

Also will the extra wire form in front of flippers get annoying to look at, seems like they are there just to fly the ball around for lock for multi-ball? Extra visual effect or annoying addition?

Then there is the question about the integration of video modes. Will there be awesome video modes that utilize the full capabilities of the LCD screen?

Last but not least is the layout. I already have AC/DC and have played it for years. I am concerned that it may feel too similar, and give me a feeling of been there done that. Time will tell

#787 6 years ago

Surely this is not real

It's ok, just put it next to your other Stern machines... oh wait.

#788 6 years ago

1. Stern might as well have taken STLE & added SW toys ala BM66 & BDK.
(Actually, SR just rethemed No Fear).
2. Does not look anywhere as nice as BM66 or ASLE, looks like ASS.
3. SWEP 1 looks amazing compared to this and is a bargain, buy them up before prices go up.
4. Shame JJP didn't have the license, this game looks chintzy, just like most Sterns.
5. With all this being said, the game no doubt will play great, sound great and the LCD will be super engaging, and finally the jinx of crappy SW pin's will finally be broken...

#789 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru remains action figures are the funniest things I've seen in a long time.
Please tell me somebody makes them. I'll take 3 sets. I was crying I was laughing so hard.

2nd favorite toy?

alderaan (resized).jpgalderaan (resized).jpg

#790 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

It's ok, just put it next to your other Stern machines... oh wait.

Right now I have

Monopoly
Playboy
Batman dk
Does meteor count

Sitting next to my magic girl

#791 6 years ago

Right now I have
Monopoly
Playboy
Batman dk
Does meteor count
Sitting next to my magic girl

Got it - I just looked at your Sternless pinside collection. Regardless, I don't think its fair for anyone to completely bash any game based on two low res photos and never playing it. Am I super happy with what I have seen so far? No, but I am withholding judgement.

#792 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If they're storm trooper don't even worry...they have terrible aim.

My son asked last night if there would be a storm trooper bonus for all of your missed shots.

#793 6 years ago

There's not even a mention of this on the Star Wars subreddit, which is incredible. Maybe I'll make a post about it.

#794 6 years ago

That's exactly what comes to mind

Quoted from Monster_Bash:Game of Star Wars?

#795 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

2nd favorite toy?

#796 6 years ago

Is it possible that the hyperdrive thing slings the ball up behind the death star, through the hole in the upper right of the backbox, and then comes around in front of the flippers and back to the death start to "destroy it"?

That would be cool

#797 6 years ago

Surely this is not real

What a joke

#798 6 years ago

If low res pics are not enough information for people to be critical, then low res pictures should not be enough information for people to be supportive either. Hoping it has great sound, code, and that "fun factor" to make it worthy of such an elite theme.

#799 6 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

My son asked last night if there would be a storm trooper bonus for all of your missed shots.

This is the best thing so far in this thread! I would love that!!

#800 6 years ago

Star Wars: I'm a fan!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 21.50
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/16?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.