8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 150.
#701 6 years ago

Can't wait for the video to come out to shut up a bunch of the haters.

#702 6 years ago

anyone else think of this when looking at the death star?

death star plans (resized).jpgdeath star plans (resized).jpg

#703 6 years ago

Cut here and here; add all the cars...
Perfect!
Thanks Department 56!

IMG_5795 (resized).JPGIMG_5795 (resized).JPG

#704 6 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Anybody here been around long enough to remember how people were complaining about Stern's LOTR being stripped down when it came out?

it is stripped down. It looks boring as all shit. Truthfully the playfield is really nothing spectacular and the bash toy is uneventful. If it wasn't for the insanely indepth and well designed code, the game would have been an epic failure. It's not just because the code is deep. It's because it has a happy medium for novice players, that can accomplish things, and have easier objectives, to feel good about, yet a very long overall story for the hardcore dedicated good player to also enjoy, for longevity. It's hard to balance those out and not have a complex clusterfuck of confusion, like hobbit.

#705 6 years ago

Looks like a typical stern pin (2010ish - current) and id bet it plays similar to other's also. Not a bad thing by any means but it seems most feel the same with just different themes . I just wish they wld step out of their comfort zone more often kinda like they did with gb. Not for me but more pinball machines is never a bad thing imo.

#706 6 years ago

It's always interesting to see different countries take on Stern releases.

UK forums: 'yeah looks like a fun game, artwork isn't too bad.'
Australia forums: 'Cool, hope they get enough sent down here'

Pinside: 'OMG THIS GAME SUCKS LOOK AT THAT PHOTOSHOP RAGE RAGE'

#707 6 years ago

Ive paid half the £9495 cost of an LE, without seeing the game..

After seeing it I'm a little underwhelmed at the art... but from what we can see on the top of the playfield looks like it will have some good shots and flow.
Don't know how many balls it is, but having 4/5 balls whizzing round the hyperdrive loop maybe pretty cool.

Don't know what's under the playfield yet, more magnets for "the force" maybe, might have a projector like ST, the LE back glass/translite... I hope it strobes or something to simulate the jump.. will have to wait and see for the full specs & gameplay video

#708 6 years ago

Nowadays Stern: Two steps forward, one step back.

It's not so much that the art itself it bad, it's just implemented very unimaginatively and I kind of hate the use of color / color scheme. It really does make it look cheap (at least in these pictures). I'm sure it will play fine, at least the Premium / LE. The Pro looks like it's going to be ass and especially for the prices they are charging these days; I'm out.

#709 6 years ago

Send me my LE now.

Stern please make a livestream at factory video asap

#710 6 years ago

Anybody here been around long enough to remember how people were complaining about Stern's LOTR being stripped down when it came out?

BLUF: History summary.

Certainly.

Like TSPP, it was well received, not rejected for those that understood pinball playfield design.
Keith Johnson listened to active feedback by the community at Stern and made continued improvements to the code, fairly quickly I might add for most of the final features.
The code when released was solid and not half baked like many of Stern's current games.
The "rinse and repeat" Stern game designs of today was not purely true in 2003.
Stern and George Gomez actually corrected the game with service bulletins and kits for some of the minor issues identified again (magnet one ring, Balrog lamp, sword ramp post, Gimli hole, and Legolas entrance) with the help of the knowledgeable collectors within less than 2 months.
Some people who bought the game bought the game NIB after release in early 2004, such as myself, played the living crap out of the game.
It was a great example of a home amusement toy that many actually turned a profit a year later for from $500-$1000 for what they bought it for, and they were still being made as Stern continued into its third production run in early 2005. The game continued production another 5 times, ending up with the LE in 2009.
I don't regret selling it, as the next owner had as much fun as I.
Not a bad title by any means, and one of the three titles that saved Stern from getting out of the industry with reruns.

The primary complaint was the grainy playfield artwork and plastics, not the gameplay, layout or features that were praised.
Even the sound was tolerated although inferior to WMS DCS, but the quality was more than acceptable.
Some people got in a tiff over the simplicity of the swinging Balrog and ball bouncing off the Path of the Dead , but most people did not care.

#711 6 years ago

I hoped for more but really am not surprised. I'm sure it will be fun to play but they had an epic theme and put out another cookie cutter game.

#712 6 years ago

Personally I prefer the artwork style of the 1980 Hankin for a Star Wars pinball machine.

484850e946e3cd92b87a59ee0d2a5eb8 (resized).jpg484850e946e3cd92b87a59ee0d2a5eb8 (resized).jpg

#713 6 years ago

Nice with targets, instead of posts when missing shots, whitch i doo often

IMG_0747 (resized).PNGIMG_0747 (resized).PNG

#714 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

The youtube comments from hardcore Star Wars subscribers is even more revealing. Anyone who thinks the SW fans are going to be snapping this title up to round out their memorabilia collections might be in for a shock. Pinball just doesn't resonate with mainstream without proper marketing and after shoehorning a pinball machine quasi announcement onto the SW youtube channel the channel comments speak for themselves.

Looks similar to Ritchie's first unreleased Avatar design to me.

looks nothing llike it??????

#715 6 years ago

not sure but these photos look like its a better quality:

star-wars-pinball-playfield-stern (resized).jpgstar-wars-pinball-playfield-stern (resized).jpg

star-wars-pinball-stern (resized).jpgstar-wars-pinball-stern (resized).jpg

#716 6 years ago

Does anyone know how the death star works?

It seems balls are fed through the big wireform ramp in the death star but immediately drop out below?
And how does this junkyard 'dog' ramp type works here that is below?

And the question is, how do the balls end up behind the back panel? Diverter on the left ramp?

#717 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

WHY not make a promethius pin instead of ALIEN

I would love a Prometheus pin, not in place of Alien but I'd be happy to own both.

#718 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I thought Death Star interior when I first saw it.

Exactly. If you look at the falcon floor, the pattern isn't really offset.

#719 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

There is a long slit in the playfield on the left side of the left ramp (premium/LE). Some kind of ball lock area?
Rob

To me, it looks like those 2 slits form a ramp that elevates the ball to the flap just below the death star as a way to "shoot" the death star and possibly lock balls in it for a multiball release battle.

#720 6 years ago

seems the deathstar holds/locks the balls for multiball (on the prem/le):

sw1 (resized).PNGsw1 (resized).PNG

#721 6 years ago

I am not a STAR WARS fan at all, but I think this has a few tricks up it's sleeve and will be awesome to play.

#722 6 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Any ideas of what sterns topper will be like?

They're just finishing them up now. Good news. It's hand painted.

poop (resized).jpgpoop (resized).jpg

#723 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Agreed, it's too early to comment on gameplay, sound, animations & code.
Disagreed, it's not too early to be disappointed in the art & toys though

The artwork is a matter of taste, so your point is well taken. From what I can see so far, I love the artwork and that it's hand drawn. For me it's about the experience and context.

If every time I get on an airline flight I receive a bourbon and a bj from a hot flight attendant, it's unlikely that I'll notice the cramped seat pitch, lack of food, puking babies, fake weather delays, etc. If I don't get the bourbon and the chick, there's a LOT to complain about. So, I reserve judgement about a pin until I take in the entire experience.

The combination of callouts, sound, and gameplay on Spider-Man is fantastic (IMHO). The toys are meh and the feel of the flippers/quality of parts is also a downer. Overall, it's a great game that I like to play.

#724 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Nice with targets, instead of posts when missing shots, whitch i doo often

Targets caused the Ghostbuster airballs. Cross fingers.

#725 6 years ago

I throughly enjoy your responses. That is a fitting topper.

They're just finishing them up now.

#726 6 years ago

Targets caused the Ghostbuster airballs. Cross fingers.

Fingers crossed

#727 6 years ago

I bet a mod will be in the works to improve the look of the bezel on the mini LCD.

I'm surprised that the bezel of the mini LCD at least on the premium / LE is just a piece of generic black plastic with no artwork or instead a molded bezel (ex, mini book LCD from Hobbit).

#728 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm surprised that the bezel of the mini LCD at least on the premium / LE is just a piece of generic black plastic with no artwork or instead a molded bezel (ex, mini book LCD from Hobbit).

I'm unfortunately not suprised by this. Stern seem to continually cut more and more things out or just are not interested in putting in a little extra effort.
I'm sure they could have easily thought up something that would have looked better.

#729 6 years ago

I have to say, I think this game looks Fing awesome, this overwhelming venom is tired and old. I'm not into Star Wars even a little bit. Never could make it thru more than five mins of any movie from any era in any decade of my life.

But this game looks crazy fun. AC/DC base without inlane visibility problems, annoying Steve voice, flow-destroying and annoying to shoot cannon- yes sign me up for fun pinball.

Hell I even like the color palette and feel of the art on all versions in all areas (except LE translite)!

I'm 500% certain I'll end up with a pro and love it just like I have GOT and love it despite the pinside art hate and fact that I couldn't care less about that theme either.

Guys should chill and have some fun playing pinball...

#730 6 years ago

Time and time again. I always hear pinsiders say how it's all about the game play, flow, rules and code when I talk about a game that looks good but doesn't play well. Yet the first thing everyone bitches about is the artwork. I'll wait to play the game before I deside if it's good or not.

#731 6 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

I'm unfortunately not suprised by this. Stern seem to continually cut more and more things out or just are not interested in putting in a little extra effort.
I'm sure they could have easily thought up something that would have looked better.

Let's start guessing the play field printing mistake this time.

birthdayboth (resized).jpgbirthdayboth (resized).jpg

#732 6 years ago

IMG_2879 (resized).JPGIMG_2879 (resized).JPG

#733 6 years ago

Why is everyone bashing this game already nobody has played it art looks pretty rad and the toys look to be killer and very different and check out all those wire forms and not to mention a ton of mods inserts. Everyone was doing the same bitching when acdc came out because it looked exactly like t2; this looks way different and the toys looks awesome. How the hell can you even Judge the game on the few pics that are here?

#734 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Why is everyone bashing this game already nobody has played it art looks pretty rad and the toys look to be killer and very different and check out all those wire forms and not to mention a ton of mods inserts.

Pinsider art goon douchebags, Oh yeah.

#735 6 years ago

Dude you've been here 2 years...

#736 6 years ago

This will look better lit up, but still, I can see why a lot of people are disappointed - I'm not really as the franchise doesn't interest me.

For people who were predicting D.I. would die a thousand deaths, running into SW Premium and LEs ... I just don't think that's going to happen. Regardless of how they play, visually they're not in the same league. If anything this will accelerate D.I. sales, as people holding back from ordering one, who were expecting a SW tour de force, may no longer do so.

For non-fans of SW, this machine lives or dies on the LCD and code, IMO.

#737 6 years ago

I'm a wait 'n' see attitude as I've already sworn off pre-orders and early adopter mentalities. Will let this play out a little but here are my thoughts:

- like the premium best from an art perspective
- hoping for GOT-type rules more than Star Trek type rules which ended up being a little boring over time for me before I sold STLE
- have no doubt light and sounds will be great
- hoping for great call-outs using original voices or clips from movies

If this stuff pans out I'll strongly consider a premium. A buddy of mine has been in line for a LE for probably a year so I'll have a chance to play his before making any decision.

#738 6 years ago

9 year old me lost his tiny tiny mind when my dad took me to see this when it came out in 1977.
I'm in

#739 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

For non-fans of SW, this machine lives or dies on the LCD and code, IMO.

This applies to fans and non-fans, I like SW and grew up on these films but I couldn't care less about the art or the toys right now, its all about the sound and code and flow and now yes the LCD clips which will be amazing, how couldn't they be? Darth Vader, real DV clips, come on. Jesus its a SRitchie SW pin with real audio and video from the OG series but because it doesn't like a giant mess of SW vomit all over the place this pin is written off by so many dickheads out there, I can see not be interested if ur not a SW fan, if I wasn't I wouldn't care what was happening with this pin.

#740 6 years ago

Very interested to see what they do with that extra LCD screen. I agree with others that I think it will have major importance to the gameplay as it is on the Pro as well.

Dwight and Steve knocked it out of the park with GOT, looking for more of the same here.

Can't wait to get one of these near me to play the shit out of it.

#741 6 years ago

I'm going to wait for the LUCI AC/DC / PRINCESS LEIA STAR WARS version with better art... which will inevitably become the real LE ....slave Leia !!!!

side (resized).jpgside (resized).jpg

#742 6 years ago

Have any videos been released?

#743 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Very interested to see what they do with that extra LCD screen. I agree with others that I think it will have major importance to the gameplay as it is on the Pro as well.
Dwight and Steve knocked it out of the park with GOT, looking for more of the same here.
Can't wait to get one of these near me to play the shit out of it.

Shoulda had some holographic image instead with R2-D2 projecting it !!

Review_R2D2HolographicPrincessLeiaPOTF2FBCT_stillA (resized).jpgReview_R2D2HolographicPrincessLeiaPOTF2FBCT_stillA (resized).jpg

#744 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's a lot better with the new code.

Agreed and if you add the pinsound and color dmd I think it is pretty damn perfect!

#745 6 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Shoulda had some holographic image instead with R2-D2 projecting it !!

That would look cool but I'd rather have something that has to do with gameplay.

#746 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

You really have to wonder about this? The 1st trilogy is their bread & butter. All the pinside Nancy's need to relax a bit & wait till we see hi-res pics of the game and some gameplay features & videos. Man what a bunch of pansies this site as brought together.

Pansies Really? Because we voice an opinion about something we can see with our own eyes? No one is complaining about how it plays because we don't know...and in fact I am sure Dwight will do much more for this pin than the designer and artist obviously did, but if you show me a picture of shit......I am going to look at it and tell you that is shit. Granted, it might just smell like roses and bounce like silly-putty, but it is still shit. And with that said, I don't think I would be so quick to make assumptions about people just because they voice their opinion like you just did......just sayin.

#747 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Agreed and if you add the pinsound and color dmd I think it is pretty damn perfect!

Seriously? The new code gave no meaning to the only ramp in the game. Sorry but I'd rather shoot the ramp over and over than the orbits over and over. This is the Data East SW we're talking about. Man that game is not fun.

#748 6 years ago

I'm thinking Richie just isnt big on having amazing art, look at past games, all pretty ugly, but fun. I think our expectations were just very high since Sterns last handful of games have knocked it out of the park art wise. Thought they had turned a corner and realized that people do care what the game looks like.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)
Elvis (2004)
World Poker Tour (2006)
Spider-Man (2007)
"24", based on 24 (2009)
AC/DC (2012)
Star Trek (2013)
Game of Thrones (2015)

#749 6 years ago

It would have been cool if they could do an R2D2 hologram like Ghostbusters. We obviously have to see it with the lights on and ball moving...but yes, artwork does seem meh. Still excited to see more though (its not like WWE or anything )

#750 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Man that game is not fun.

DESW is certainly not fun as a whole. Hitting the ramp over and over to hear the roar of a Tie Fighter is fun though. I don't miss it in my house because it really was just a boring clunky DE that was not anything special except for the theme.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.