8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 150.
#7301 6 years ago
Quoted from VirtualMayhem:

I felt the legs on this pin don't quite snug up really close to the cabinet the whole way down the front of the cabinet compared to the other 2 I have. Doesn't look to be a flaw, just an observation all legs were the same.

Not sure what other Stern games you have, but the newer ones have a plastic version of this pre-installed:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2711
to keep the legs from touching (and scraping up) the cab decals. By design, they should keep the legs from touching the body of the cab when the legs are fully attached.

#7302 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

1) The black plastic to the left of the coin door is the plug for the hole for the tournament button.
2) I agree with noquarters level, level, level. Must be perfect side to side and at 6.5 degrees or slightly less. Also close the left and right drain lanes (you can open them up as you get better).
3) Don't do .92 code yet. There is a theory that it is killing the fork ramp. Stern is working on this. .89 is a great code (although .92 is a big upgrade when they figure this out).
The game is a blast! Enjoy!!

I have it up and running, I have it level and the only thing I'm noticing is that the mystery shot when the ball ejects it seems 90% of the time to be right down the drain. Sometimes it will hit the edge of the left flipper but it is rare.

In terms of closing up the drain lanes - do you just take a wrench and loosen the nut and slide those down?

#7303 6 years ago
Quoted from VirtualMayhem:

I have it up and running, I have it level and the only thing I'm noticing is that the mystery shot when the ball ejects it seems 90% of the time to be right down the drain. Sometimes it will hit the edge of the left flipper but it is rare.
In terms of closing up the drain lanes - do you just take a wrench and loosen the nut and slide those down?

My mystery shot worked great out of box, but many had to go into the service menu and decrease the strength (15-30)...it should then hit your right flipper. To close the lanes you'll need to rest the playfield on the service rails and then you should be able to loosen/take off the nut from the post, move the post to the lower hole, and replace the nut.

#7304 6 years ago

I finally got some good time on a premium model. WTF?! That jump ramp is hot garbage. The ball gets stuck behind it several times a ball and you're left waiting for a ball search while your multiplier slowly expires. Then when you hit it, it rejects often. Ugh, that was pissing me off. I still hate the mystery hole too. Rocket return that sometimes goes straight down the middle.

Go pro on this game all the way. The fork ramp is a joke. The hyperloop is awful. I had balls fall out of it when I was lucky enough to actually make the shot and not have it reject. To think that they charge extra for problems is insane. Very poor testing on this.

Code is still not where it needs to be, either. I don't know that they're ever going to get there and I just need to make peace with the fact that I won't ever like this game. It's got too many flaws and it's even worse at the premium/LE level. And before anybody just thinks that I need to "play better" to enjoy it...

SW-GC (resized).jpgSW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpgSW-fork (resized).jpg

#7305 6 years ago

The one you played must have issues ... my ball almost never gets stuck behind the ramp and the hyper loop works great .

#7306 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I finally got some good time on a premium model. WTF?! That jump ramp is hot garbage. The ball gets stuck behind it several times a ball and you're left waiting for a ball search while your multiplier slowly expires.

I had the same problem when I recently played it at an arcade in San Diego, the one in the gaslamp district. Was definitely annoying.

#7307 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I finally got some good time on a premium model. WTF?! That jump ramp is hot garbage.

After looking at the picture of your ball stuck behind the fork ramp I wonder if the machine is not properly leveled left to right. There are times I have had it drop behind the fork and had it stuck, but I have never seen the ball off centered like that. The rejects may be a leveling issue as well. Just a thought.

The mystery hole can be adjusted as well. I have never had an issue with mine and still have it at factory setting, but I think most go to the menu and adjust it to 40. When it ejects I keep my right flipper up to "catch" a weak eject (which happens probably 1 out of 15) and I can usually hit a ramp shot with left flipper coming out of the mystery hole.

#7308 6 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I had the same problem when I recently played it at an arcade in San Diego, the one in the gaslamp district. Was definitely annoying.

Which arcade in San Diego? Coin-op?

#7309 6 years ago

What’s weird is that I was having the fork issue constantly after upgrading to .92, but the last 20 games or so, the issue has just “gone away.” I hope it stays gone.

#7310 6 years ago

Shouldn't the forks go down when you hit the Hoth rollover switch, then go back up?

#7311 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Shouldn't the forks go down when you hit the Hoth rollover switch, then go back up?

It’s an optical switch—I get the sense that the ball is simply moving too fast for the switch to register and fully actuate the motor.

#7312 6 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

What’s weird is that I was having the fork issue constantly after upgrading to .92, but the last 20 games or so, the issue has just “gone away.” I hope it stays gone.

I read on the forums here that many people believe .92 is causing an issue with the fork so they downgraded back to .89

#7313 6 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Which arcade in San Diego? Coin-op?

Yup that's the place. I took some pictures when I was there:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hfnc2hy6LcLAy8Lt1

Great place, those pics are earlier in the night so it was still quiet, but it got packed pretty fast. Overall I enjoyed the Star Wars pin, but I did have that ball stuck issue the other person mentioned.

#7314 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

I read on the forums here that many people believe .92 is causing an issue with the fork so they downgraded back to .89

Can we downgrade ? And if so where can I get it ? The code is pulled it’s suspected .

#7315 6 years ago

Finally played SW pro today. Overall, wife and I liked it better than expected. It was fun, and looked decent. Fast, difficult, but fun. Build quality felt and looked cheaper than my previous Stern's though. I would love to try a premium still. Sounds and clips really seem to carry the game, so I wonder how long game play will stay interesting. Had the one more game feel though. Overall, better than expected, but still not the SW I was looking for. Potential owner still.

#7316 6 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Can we downgrade ? And if so where can I get it ? The code is pulled it’s suspected .

Yes, you can downgrade.
Download the old software by editing the link from the current software.
Stern does not remove them from the server, they just update the link.

http://f0727d06e1d39b514478-a613b39d02a32124478c749a23d19af0.r44.cf5.rackcdn.com/star_wars_le-0_89_0.spk

#7317 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Yes, you can downgrade.
Download the old software by editing the link from the current software.
Stern does not remove them from the server, they just update the link.
http://f0727d06e1d39b514478-a613b39d02a32124478c749a23d19af0.r44.cf5.rackcdn.com/star_wars_le-0_89_0.spk

Cool
Easy ... I’ll give it a few days see if they release new code

#7318 6 years ago

Now played LE and Pro.

Pretty shocked that I think pro looks better and plays better, smoother.

Going to wait for completed code and if finished and if polished, could see myself getting a pro.

Yes, it is toyless more or less but it was fast and fun, even though I really don't understand the code yet.

#7319 6 years ago

The SW pro onsite here in Christchurch is "out of order" They got 2 months out of it

#7320 6 years ago

I have 107 games played on my SW Premium after the v0.92 update without any issues with the fork ramp.

The instructions state to make sure you wait 1 or 2 minutes to turn on the game after turning power off after the update completes. I waited until all the LEDs on the CPU in the backbox were completely turned off before turning on the game. I suggest everyone to do this on any SPIKE game when updating code.

#7321 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Now played LE and Pro.
Pretty shocked that I think pro looks better and plays better, smoother.
Going to wait for completed code and if finished and if polished, could see myself getting a pro.
Yes, it is toyless more or less but it was fast and fun, even though I really don't understand the code yet.

The one you played couldn't possibly have been set up properly. When everything works as designed, the premium and LE are far more fun than the pro

#7322 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I have 107 games played my SW Premium after the v0.92 update without any issues with the fork ramp.
The instructions state to make sure you wait 1 or 2 minutes to turn on the game after turning power off after the update completes. I waited until all the LEDs on the CPU in the backbox were completely turned off before turning on the game. I suggest everyone to do this on any SPIKE game when updating code.

Same I did, now about 55 games after 0.92 without having any problems. It's curious that some having node board issues but most of Prem / LE owners which made the update not.

#7323 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The one you played couldn't possibly have been set up properly. When everything works as designed, the premium and LE are far more fun than the pro

Says the LE owner. all things aside, you can't go wrong with either!

#7324 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Says the LE owner. all things aside, you can't go wrong with either!

The HONEST LE owner. I've played both. I bought the LE. I'm the first one to admit when I buy something that's shit. Which is why I bailed out on Hobbit. Honesty is in short supply on this forum, but not with me.

#7325 6 years ago

Anyoneknow how to adjust the hyperloop, death star dropout? (After hyperloop and mission select). The ball goes right between the flippers every single time. There is no way to time it, bump it, or anything, its a death shot. Can the fork be tilted?

#7326 6 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

Anyoneknow how to adjust the hyperloop, death star dropout? (After hyperloop and mission select). The ball goes right between the flippers every single time. There is no way to time it, bump it, or anything, its a death shot. Can the fork be tilted?

Don't tilt the fork...you'll f**k it up. That shouldn't be happening. Have you checked your level side to side? And is your game pitched at 6.5 degrees? This is the most finicky game ever for making sure it's completely level and right at 6.5 degrees of pitch. I had a lot of SDTM from the inner loop and ramp before I changed the pitch and tweaked the level. Check it, yo.

#7327 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Man, there's no way any tweaks in setup is keeping the ball from hanging up on those forks. It's a bad design. I'll buy adjustments fixing the loop returns or even the mystery kickout, but that jump ramp is just sloppy. The game I played was set up perfectly by an owner that knows pinball well. 2-3 times a ball it would settle behind the forks.

It also introduces a degree of unreliability into the Death Star shot. Shot too hard? Reject. Too soft but clean, SDTM.

#7328 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The game I played was set up perfectly by an owner that knows pinball well. 2-3 times a ball it would settle behind the forks.

While it could still be a software thing, I'm also wondering if light is reflecting into the opto receiver so the switch stays open on rare occasions?

Quoted from jar155:

It also introduces a degree of unreliability into the Death Star shot. Shot too hard? Reject. Too soft but clean, SDTM.

In a few hundred games, I've maybe had SDTM once or twice. That's the nature of pinball though. Ramp rejects, pop bumper exits etc all can do it. As for reliability on the shot, I think it's very reliable. And it can be backhanded reliably as well, I do that all the time.

Rob

#7329 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Man, there's no way any tweaks in setup is keeping the ball from hanging up on those forks. It's a bad design. I'll buy adjustments fixing the loop returns or even the mystery kickout, but that jump ramp is just sloppy. The game I played was set up perfectly by an owner that knows pinball well. 2-3 times a ball it would settle behind the forks.

Are you talking about when the ramp is up? Or when it's supposed to be down and the ball is getting hung up? When it's up, then of course the ball gets stopped behind it until the ramp lowers. I haven't seen it get hung up when it's not supposed to.

And the wireform needs to be adjusted to assure a clean death star shot every time.

#7330 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Go pro on this game all the way. The fork ramp is a joke. The hyperloop is awful. I had balls fall out of it when I was lucky enough to actually make the shot and not have it reject. To think that they charge extra for problems is insane. Very poor testing on this.

Thank you. It is nice to finally hear some honesty from a Premium/LE owner. People have been trying to defend SW like it was one of their children that was being picked on. I really want one but I am thinking it is a pass for me now. It is one thing to deal with beta code(I can handle pre mature code) but I can't stand games with mechanical issues that should have been corrected long before the game ever left the factory. This is Steve Ritchie's second title in a row with major mechanical issues

Have I mentioned how disappointed I am. I am really bummed that my dream theme has turned out to be mediocre at best. I have a gut feeling that Stern will not be able to turn this title around(at least for Premium/LE-there may be a sliver of hope for the pro).

#7331 6 years ago

Oh man, star wars Premium/LE is the pits, dreadfull, just terrible, Boo,boo!

Now let me get back to playing it, again, and again, and again ..getting close to 1000 plays. Fingers crossed, nothing major to piss me off so far.

#7332 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Thank you. It is nice to finally hear some honesty from a Premium/LE owner. People have been trying to defend SW like it was one of their children that was being picked on. I really want one but I am thinking it is a pass for me now. It is one thing to deal with beta code(I can handle pre mature code) but I can't stand games with mechanical issues that should have been corrected long before the game ever left the factory. This is Steve Ritchie's second title in a row with major mechanical issues
Have I mentioned how disappointed I am. I am really bummed that my dream theme has turned out to be mediocre at best. I have a gut feeling that Stern will not be able to turn this title around(at least for Premium/LE-there may be a sliver of hope for the pro).

And apparently you only hear what you want to hear. It's pretty much the only game played in my house over the past 2 months...it's that much fun. I'd love to get pissed off at it and sell it so that I could make some people here happy, but I just can't help you. Mine plays great.

I had the orbit issues on GOT, which I was literally able to fix in 15 minutes by widening the mounting holes on the diverter. That sucked, but it wasn't a dealbreaker. SW doesn't have any mechanical issues that I've come across yet, outside of scoop and wireform tweaks.

#7333 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

SW doesn't have any mechanical issues

It is funny how every game has that one person that is the "Cheerleader" for the title. Pinside crusaders unite!

#7334 6 years ago

You clearly don't know me very well.

#7335 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It is funny how every game has that one person that is the "Cheerleader" for the title. Pinside crusaders unite!

Yes you are right. It should only be allowed to critize games here on pinside. It's boring to hear that a game works without problems. The people that are talking about how much fun they have and how much they like their games are making pinside a bad place. They should go and play pinball but leave us alone here. Fun and pinball don't go together! This place is only for people that hate their games and all those evil pinball companies!!!

#7336 6 years ago

It is only pinball and it is only a game. People get so sensitive on Pinside trying to defend their beloved pinball machines. Relax I want to love Star Wars and I would love to purchase one. We can agree to disagree when it comes to the issues Star Wars is having. To say there are no mechanical issues when clearly many have stated issues with their machines is being ignorant.

#7337 6 years ago

I have ordered a SW Premium and all the reports here are troubling me. And the silence from companies like STERN or JJP about problems and if or how they resolve them is not what I want when I spend so much money. So I just think it is good if honest people like beelzeboob are writing when their games are working and are fun to play. I hope this time it will be the first NIB STERN I will get without big problems. Even my best games AC/DC and Metallica were not playable when I got them NIB. So far every problem could be solved. And now I love these games. I am sure that this will be the same with SW and I think this theme and game will be worth the trouble. But it's a shame that it is always a lottery. The SW theme is the only thing that let me take this risk again.

#7338 6 years ago

I will chime in, when Star Wars was first announced I thought man this looks lame was very disappointed. Fast forward I go to a cool barcade in Raleigh. Side note its called boxcar arcade awesome place they have every new LE, JPP and Stern. Anyhow first game I play is SW LE because its new wanted to give it a shot, I play a game or two and I think meh not that great. Play some of the other new games including Dialed In and I think man DI is a much better game. Go back the next day make my way through the games and play a little on each, all the sudden I keep going back to Star Wars its just the most fun game there. I get back in town and go to a friends house who has one, he tells me how much fun he is having. Now he has every new stern as well, guess what I played the most! So I decide I want one, figure I will get a pro just not enough extra at the premium/le level. I play a pro, granted it had a sound issue at the time but something was missing, I play my friends LE again and let me tell you that Hyper Ramp shot is very satisfying. So I ended up getting my own, went with the prem/LE and dont regret it tons of fun. Also .92 huge improvement, they fixed a lot of issues with the hyper ramp and the new modes are great. Whats not great is that code seems to be breaking some ramps so now I am not playin and going through withdrawal.

So look knock it if you want everyone likes different types of games, but it is not severely mechanically flawed and its is a very fun game with great code. I clearly didn't jump on the bandwagon early I took my time and then decided I wanted the game, it wasn't even on my radar. I can't think of any recent game that didn't have a quirk or two. Aerosmith has issues with the ball lock, GB which I love has plenty of clunkiness in the design etc...

#7339 6 years ago

I have basically only played my SW since it showed up and I’ve been ignoring a brand new AFM, and a restored TAF I spent a lot of time on. It’s so much fun.

#7340 6 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I play my friends LE again and let me tell you that Hyper Ramp shot is very satisfying. So I ended up getting my own, went with the prem/LE and dont regret it tons of fun.

Glad I could be an enabler.

I couldn't agree more, yes it's the new shiny object but I just can't stop playing it.
I was just starting to learn how to unlock, move, then relock the multipliers without draining before Expo. While playing SW at the show with a new friend I made, he was watching me play and asked what I was doing. He was ho hum about the game but once I started explaining all the different things you can do, he was hooked.
I know not everyone wants to deal with multipliers, modes, button mashing, etc. In my opinion, SW shoots so well that if you do nothing more than shoot the flashing shots you will have a blast. On top of that, as a SW fan, the music, callouts, and video clips just make it that much better.

#7341 6 years ago

My premium just arrived on the weekend and I'm loving it (even with .89 code ) Had a few neighbours over last night and it was well received by everyone. The hyper loop is impressive but the entire package is great. Lights, sound, video and missions. Certainly no buyer remorse!

#7342 6 years ago

I have a Star Wars premium and it was great out of the box and both code updates went well . Out of all my games this one is addicting .

#7343 6 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

My premium just arrived on the weekend and I'm loving it (even with .89 code ) Had a few neighbours over last night and it was well received by everyone. The hyper loop is impressive but the entire package is great. Lights, sound, video and missions. Certainly no buyer remorse!

Congrats DO NOT update to .92! That said when .93 comes out or whatever you will LOVE IT big improvement.

MattS Yes you are an enabler!

#7344 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Thank you. It is nice to finally hear some honesty from a Premium/LE owner

I don't think he owns the game.

Rob

#7345 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

... but I can't stand games with mechanical issues that should have been corrected long before the game ever left the factory...

this is DI fault ! (sarcasm)
STERN had to react sooner than wanted, to not see buyers giving money to the other side...
not and excuse of course, just a fact (well, my personal point of view)

#7346 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I don't think he owns the game.
Rob

Yeah, jar155 is definitely not a fan of pretty much anything about the new SW, if he now owns one I’d be shocked.

#7347 6 years ago

What mechanical issues are there anyhow?

#7348 6 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

What mechanical issues are there anyhow?

Some Premium/LE ramps have malfunctioned under the newest code. Don’t think there’s anything wrong with the Pros.

#7349 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Some Premium/LE ramps have malfunctioned under the newest code. Don’t think there’s anything wrong with the Pros.

More of a software issue then Let’s hope.

#7350 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Yeah, jar155 is definitely not a fan of pretty much anything about the new SW, if he now owns one I’d be shocked.

I do not own one. I play it regularly, however. I'm stubbornly trying to like it.

I didn't like Aerosmith much at all at release, but it really grew on me. It's no classic, but I think it's a good game now. I can't stand the theme, but it's a good player. I would REALLY love to learn to like Star Wars, because it's the theme I most want to be good in pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 21.50
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 10.95
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/147 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.