8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 124 of 150.
#6151 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yes. Much better than Chaplin.

I felt like Chaplin was more an impression than a character.

But hey...when's that Star Wars LE hitting the streets?

#6152 6 years ago

Whouw. Check freddys pinball paradise facebook page. He presents sw LE with AFMr pictures. Nice!!

#6153 6 years ago

They have also installed red convolux plastic protectors. Those protests are awesome. Hope playfield protectors are ready soon.

IMG_1214 (resized).PNGIMG_1214 (resized).PNG

#6154 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

They have also installed red convolux plastic protectors. Those protests are awesome. Hope playfield protectors are ready soon.

Can you provide a link to this video / stream?

#6155 6 years ago

Really looking forward to Freddy's LE event tomorrow!

#6156 6 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Really looking forward to Freddy's LE event tomorrow!

Damn I thought the event was today (Friday)

#6157 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Can you provide a link to this video / stream?

Just enter there fb page

#6158 6 years ago

Wait...so Freddy has an LE? And he's streaming it tomorrow on his Facebook page? Does anyone know what time? I'm going to have to have my German translator with me when he says something along the lines of "Beelzeboob ist ein Douchebaggen."

Any clarifying info would be appreciated...thanks!

#6159 6 years ago

Dear stern. This is bullshit marketing. Geeez!

#6160 6 years ago

I finally had a chance to play a few games last night. Overall, I think it is a fun machine.

A couple of questions/comments:

1. Call Outs - I've read about a lack of them, but there don't seem to be hardly any; only a couple when you first coin-up. Perhaps, I just didn't hear them over the noise in the arcade? My guess is that this a change in direction from the normal use of call outs to use movie clips instead of call outs. But, wasn't sure if that was a design goal or just unfinished code.

2. Screen Size - I'm a bit torn on this. I don't think the screen size on the newer Sterns is bad. But, for this game it seems rather small to try to cram all the information about the current mode or modes. For a game like Batman it seems to work really well. Fortunately, you can figure out your shots from the lit inserts so actually being able to read the screen isn't too important while playing. After playing this I wonder if anyone will come out with a bigger screen mod to make the screen similar in size to the other games (i.e. JJP)?

3. Light Show - Reading comments here people seem to think the lighting on SW is great. I don't really have an issue with it, but it seemed more pedestrian than wowing.

As others have said it doesn't really pull me into the Star Wars universe in any way. But, it's a fun game to flip. So, looking forward to see how to the code progresses and how the premium/le features actually integrate into play.

#6161 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm going to have to have my German translator with me when he says something along the lines of "Beelzeboob ist ein Douchebaggen."

Schweinhund ?

#6162 6 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

After playing this I wonder if anyone will come out with a bigger screen mod to make the screen similar in size to the other games (i.e. JJP)?

Ugh. Please no. I'll keep my translite and I love the size of the Stern screen.

#6163 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I can't absorb the JJP screen yet but don't own one so you might be different. On this game I have yet to be able to use the screen like a DMD to get what I need when. Between the lock/unlock/move/lock and the screen. I am afraid I might pee my pants if I look at more screen real estate. Love the mini screen.

#6164 6 years ago
Quoted from KJL:

I can't absorb the JJP screen yet but don't own one so you might be different. On this game I have yet to be able to use the screen like a DMD to get what I need when. Between the lock/unlock/move/lock and the screen. I am afraid I might pee my pants if I look at more screen real estate. Love the mini screen.

Don't really need to look up outside of mode starts.

#6165 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Stern has gotten the LCD right. JJP is too much imo.

#6166 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Stern has gotten the LCD right. JJP is too much imo.

DI is much better.

#6167 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

DI is much better.

All I have to go by is my Woz versus BM66 and AS. I love both.

I'm sure DI has gotten much better than Woz hopefully re the LCD. Either way, I'm very happy with the Stern display subject to looking at JJP #4

#6168 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

looking at JJP #4

Did I miss something? The leading candidate was POTC rehash last I checked.

#6169 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Did I miss something? The leading candidate was POTC rehash last I checked.

No way, just referring to the LCD getting better.

POTC is a ZERO no matter what.

For that matter, its time to just take a step back. Things have gotten WAY overpriced and the secondary market is speaking.

#6170 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

For that matter, its time to just take a step back. Things have gotten WAY overpriced and the secondary market is speaking.

Definitely tonight alone I have seen alot of for sale threads pop up for some awesome games at great prices, some absolute killer deals out there, people are maybe selling more than one great game now in order to afford the latest game? New games compared to old are pretty much priced at 2

#6171 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Definitely tonight alone I have seen alot of for sale threads pop up for some awesome games at great prices, some absolute killer deals out there, people are maybe selling more than one great game now in order to afford the latest game? New games compared to old are pretty much priced at 2

I like deals ....where are they? Pinside is always high compared to what i have paid.

#6172 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I like deals ....where are they? Pinside is always high compared to what i have paid.

Check market, I saw a TWD LE and MET Prem at what I thought seemed great prices, obviously I am not in touch with US pricing on the secondary market but they sure as hell seemed like good deals from this side of the pond

#6173 6 years ago

I've found pinside to be generally more realistic with pricing compared to kijiji, eBay or whatevs.

#6174 6 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

Got to have the right key chain for the coin door when that Star Wars LE comes in!!!

You need the correct tools for working on it too:

a inis_sw_r2d2_screwdriver (resized).jpga inis_sw_r2d2_screwdriver (resized).jpg

jhil_sw_mill_falcon_multi-tool_kit (resized).jpgjhil_sw_mill_falcon_multi-tool_kit (resized).jpg

#6175 6 years ago

Ok, here are first thoughts about the SWLE at Freddys-Pinball-Paradise from §Spider§, a german pinball collector, more to come in few hours :

"Hi, I was allowed to play the SW LE a bit last night. I am thrilled, the SW is really fast, the lightshow very nice and the sound effects including music are simply at best. The movie sequences deliver real Star Wars feelings. Altogether a real S. Ritchie pin with super flow. The ball rushes at an amazing speed around the orbit. No horrible outgoing balls, mostly I was just too slow, but after a few games I got used to the fast gameplay. The hyperramp I experienced 3x times, but with only one ball. Great sound while the ball is running around the ramp. The whole thing is very dynamic and is pure Star Wars. For the rules I am the wrong man, but there was very much to discover. Well, I like the fact that you can choose a character (R2D2, Leia, Luke, Han) at the SW likely GOT and the houses, with which one starts the game. Because of the first impressions I think that S. Ritchie has once again delivered a super pin, which has already picked me up with the first ball and inspired me." *

*translated from german.

#6176 6 years ago

Video! We need video!

#6177 6 years ago

yeaa video would bee great

#6178 6 years ago

DerRoland do you know if they going to be streaming or putting up a video up? or is it just a local event?

#6179 6 years ago

Its a local event here wich starts any minute. There'll propably avideo afterwards.

Quoted from J85M:derroland do you know if they going to be streaming or putting up a video up? or is it just a local event?

#6180 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Its a local event here wich starts any minute. There'll probably a video afterwards.

Thanks for the reply are you there? Someone mentioned a stream is that correct or just wishful thinking?

#6181 6 years ago

Sorry folks, no streaming I guess. But Freddys-Pinball-Paradise will take a video and present it shortly after the event.

Maybe someone is faster and upload a cellphone video.

Well, a BIG disappointment is the discovered new rule from STERNs SW manual, that ghostings are natural and not abnormal. That means, any playfield exchanges in the future are unlikely .

#6182 6 years ago
Quoted from DerRoland:

Sorry folks, no streaming I guess. But Freddys-Pinball-Paradise will take a video and present it shortly after the event.
Maybe someone is faster and upload a cellphone video.
Well, a BIG disappointment is the discovered new rule from STERNs SW manual, that ghostings are natural and not abnormal. That means, any playfield exchanges in the future are unlikely .

Excuse me a sphincter says what? Ghosting is now normal? Oh boy, this is gonna get good.

#6183 6 years ago
Quoted from DerRoland:

Wow. So they covered their asses by putting that in the manual? Any deals on some old ss games or em's?

#6184 6 years ago
What you mean?

SW premium / LE manual first page:
"Each pinball machine has unique characteristics that make it a one-of-a-kind American made product. Each will have variations in appearance resulting from differences in the machine’s particular wood parts, individual printed art and mechanical assemblies. No playfield is perfectly flat and varies depending on the season. Game play willresult in playfield dimpling as the harder steel ball contacts the wood and coating; over time multiple dimples will blend to make them less noticeable. Normal plastic insert crazing (tiny stress cracks) and ghosting (small cloudy areas around insert edges) are often seen in pinball machines, due to a combination of plastic mold stress, pushing of inserts into purposely undersized holes, and heating and breaking of inserts’ plastic “skin” when the playfield field is sanded."

Discussion here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/126#post-3889394

#6185 6 years ago

Stern just told us all this...

IMG_4183 (resized).JPGIMG_4183 (resized).JPG

#6186 6 years ago

Thanks for posting

#6187 6 years ago
Quoted from DerRoland:

What you mean?
"Each pinball machine has unique characteristics that make it a one-of-a-kind American made product. Each will have variations in appearance resulting from differences in the machine’s particular wood parts, individual printed art and mechanical assemblies. No playfield is perfectly flat and varies depending on the season. Game play willresult in playfield dimpling as the harder steel ball contacts the wood and coating; over time multiple dimples will blend to make them less noticeable. Normal plastic insert crazing (tiny stress cracks) and ghosting (small cloudy areas around insert edges) are often seen in pinball machines, due to a combination of plastic mold stress, pushing of inserts into purposely undersized holes, and heating and breaking of inserts’ plastic “skin” when the playfield field is sanded."
Discussion here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/126#post-3889394

This will be known as the "Screw you, customers" clause as we move forward. QC be dammed.

"purposely undersized holes"?

If they are undersized, then they are not the proper size and are therefor defective.

#6188 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

"Purposely undersized holes"?

My understanding on reading that was just them explaining inserts are fitted tight into the holes, banged in. If the inserts were a perfect match they'd slide out.

#6189 6 years ago
Quoted from DerRoland:

What you mean?

So, it's like playing the lottery - you might get a decent p/f or you might not. But, you are now going to be stuck with ghosting if you are unlucky.

More reason to WAIT, buy a HUO a year down the line and then you can check the QC and by then the code MAY be finished.

#6190 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

buy a HUO a year down the line and then you can check the QC and by then the code MAY be finished.

Stop being so logical .

#6191 6 years ago

Companies putting disclaimer information in their warranties doesn't mean they won't still honor major defects. It just Sterns way of providing some level of coverage. The truth is no matter what they do you going to get dimples on playfields and you most likely going to get a percentage of ghosted inserts on some playfields as well. I think the real test will be when claims are made against Stern wether they just wash their hands and say sorry it's in our mannual or if they still look at each case individually. My guess is if you had a serious issue with a new game, your distributor would still be able to claim some sort of fix from stern regardless of wether ghosting is mentioned in the mannual or not.

#6192 6 years ago

Higher prices and lower quality.

Thanks a lot stern!

#6193 6 years ago

What a fuckin joke Stern has become. I like their games, but increased prices and shitty build quality has really stopped me from buying any NIB.

#6194 6 years ago
Quoted from SimonBaird:

I think the real test will be when claims are made against Stern wether they just wash their hands and say sorry it's in our mannual or if they still look at each case individually. My guess is if you had a serious issue with a new game, your distributor would still be able to claim some sort of fix from stern regardless of wether ghosting is mentioned in the mannual or not.

Not sure why you think this. Stern has already washed their hands on many GB playfields. Now they are just making it easier on themselves by putting it in writing. If the game is still functional and plays as intended you will likely get no compensation... yes i imagine if the insert falls in and creates a ridge or gap it will not be considered "ghosting" but that's it. One more case to buy used and let someone else take the NIB risk.

#6195 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Not sure why you think this. Stern has already washed their hands on many GB playfields. Now they are just making it easier on themselves by putting it in writing. If the game is still functional and plays as intended you will likely get no compensation... yes i imagine if the insert falls in and creates a ridge or gap it will not be considered "ghosting" but that's it. One more case to buy used and let someone else take the NIB risk.

With MUCH higher prices You are already taking a big hit today the minute you open the box, like driving a car off the lot.

Add in the potential ghosting issues that Stern has now said is normal and they won't cover makes it a gamble not worth taking.

Like I've said before, losing larger chunks of $$$ on the secondary market is REALLY going to impact future NIB sales of these JJP and Stern $8k plus pins, or any of them for that matter.

#6196 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

My understanding on reading that was just them explaining inserts are fitted tight into the holes, banged in. If the inserts were a perfect match they'd slide out.

They need to be tight enough to avoid falling out, but being tight enough and avoiding ghosting because of too much pressure should not be mutually exclusive. Ghosting is a defect caused by too much pressure.

#6197 6 years ago

Hey ,

I got some fresh pics from Freddy´s Pinball Paradise (SW LE #125 of 800):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zU3Ou43pRKs8hI4I3

Have just been there for 3 matches. Unfortunetly the gameplay couldn´t convince me 100%. Of course a Star Wars pin without any sounds feels like a steak without any salt, so my first impression maybe isn´t fair. At the moment I would give it a 7 out of 10. The displays and the animations are really great. The hyperloop is pretty cool aswell, but that´s it. The shots are a little boring imo. Ok, it´s fast, very fast. So if anyone is looking for a fast pin with a maybe deep ruleset and nice animations this could be the one. I would prefer some more features on the playfield and I´m really scared of the ghosting-lottery So I´m thinking about getting out of my preorder. Not sure yet...

Greets
Olli

#6198 6 years ago
Quoted from O-from-DO:

Hey ,
I got some fresh pics from Freddy´s Pinball Paradise (SW LE #125 of 800):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zU3Ou43pRKs8hI4I3
Have just been there for 3 matches. Unfortunetly the gameplay couldn´t convince me 100%. Of course a Star Wars pin without any sounds feels like a steak without any salt, so my first impression maybe isn´t fair. At the moment I would give it a 7 out of 10. The displays and the animations are really great. The hyperloop is pretty cool aswell, but that´s it. The shots are a little boring imo. Ok, it´s fast, very fast. So if anyone is looking for a fast pin with a maybe deep ruleset and nice animations this could be the one. I would prefer some more features on the playfield and I´m really scared of the ghosting-lottery So I´m thinking about getting out of my preorder. Not sure yet...
Greets
Olli

Thanks for the photos Olli, is there a video you are currently uploading as well? Yeah the ghosting is now normal policy is a major disappointment, are you currently in on an LE? Anyway thanks for uploading some shots of the game!

#6199 6 years ago

How do the balls exit the hyperspace loop?

#6200 6 years ago

Sorry guys if it has been already mentioned here, but in the SW manual it is noticed that dimpling and ghosting effects are "normal" as said below:

Each pinball machine has unique characteristics that make it a one-of-a-kind American made product. Each will have variations in appearance resulting from differences
in the machine’s particular wood parts, individual printed art and mechanical assemblies. No play eld is perfectly at and varies depending on the season. Game play will result in play eld dimpling as the harder steel ball contacts the wood and coating; over time multiple dimples will blend to make them less noticeable. Normal plastic insert crazing (tiny stress cracks) and ghosting (small cloudy areas around insert edges) are often seen in pinball machines, due to a combination of plastic mold stress, pushing of inserts into purposely undersized holes, and heating and breaking of inserts’ plastic “skin” when the play eld eld is sanded

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 124 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/124 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.