8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 150.
#5951 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Well, technically no. The most fun you can have with Transformers is when you sell Transformers.

Still waiting for someone that's really pissed off to sell me their 2k Transformers so they can have the time of their life.

#5952 6 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

About 30 or so games

Is this what happens when one wishes for a more populated PF?

#5953 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Still waiting for someone that's really pissed off to sell me their 2k Transformers so they can have the time of their life.

You can have mine for $4,100 ....

#5954 6 years ago

This is why I prefer games with physical ball locks. That's beer time.

You mean as long as they don't have autoplungers...

#5955 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

You can have mine for $4,100 ....

That's a LE, right?

#5956 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Maybe I missed this, but here is a nugget: Looks like Stern will be selling an accessory LE owners, an LED lit frame for the other two translites. Seems like they should really include it considering what is NOT included currently on the LE for the price.
"Stern Pinball will soon have available an
accessory LED lit frame to fit these backglasses."
ebay.com link » New Stern Star Wars Le Limited Edition Pinball Machine Free Shipping

I wouldn't bet on them selling it. They have had these for some time now, but I guess if they are redoing it for the smaller Star Wars translites, maybe they will start selling them. I got one among other prizes for coming in 2nd in Stern's/WWE's King of the Ring Wrestlemania pinball event they held a couple of years ago. As soon as I set it up I e-mailed Jody and told him that Stern should absolutely brand and sell these things as they are awesome. Pinsiders would be tripping over themselves to get one assuming the price was not too totally out of this world. The frame is backlit like a drafting table, so it is solidly lit with no hot spots and really makes the translite glow beautifully. They are super thin like a picture frame. I have a Tron translite in mine now and it looks fantastic. The frame itself is metal and the sides open up on hinges from the front to allow you to easily swap the translites in it without unscrewing screws or removing it from the wall.

#5957 6 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

Hmm, page 52 has the plans to the Death Star. I always thought they'd be more complex

Love it!! I literally almost spit out my drink when I read this.

#5958 6 years ago

When will Stern change its policy of just revamping a playfield, sound, cabinet, year after year ? After Spiderman, x-men, star trek (kept 3 months only) ... I say never again

#5959 6 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

About 30 or so games...gonna have to swing by Walmart on the way home

The owner's manual does show that the wings come off.

tie (resized).JPGtie (resized).JPG

#5960 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Guess that squashes the rumors of possibly adding drop targets to the mini-lcd

It seemed like a pretty far-fetched rumor that they'd add a significant new mech at the 11th hour. When people were complaining about GOT being too sparse didn't they just tweak the artwork and toss a decorative throne onto the back of the playfield? I'd rather they not slap in some additional stuff that hasn't been play tested and might make the game play worse than the Pro.

#5961 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You mean as long as they don't have autoplungers...

Always turn it off.

#5962 6 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

Hmm, page 52 has the plans to the Death Star. I always thought they'd be more complex

Hey, you know how many people died for Page 52 of that manual?

Who thought they'd store plans on a giant microfiche anyway?

#5963 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That's a LE, right?

Transformers LE Combo.

#5964 6 years ago

Always turn it off.

Well...that's nice, I suppose, but modern games are coded with the assumption it's there. I don't want people to be able to sit in multiball all day long with a ball or two in the shooter lane, personally.

#5965 6 years ago

You know how many people died for Page 52 of that manual?

Bothans not people!!!

EDIT: yeah...I'm the only one with the guts to say it.

#5966 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Transformers LE Combo.

Pity about that shipping. That's actually kind of tempting. I like Transformers a lot and need to raise some cash. Getting rid of Met wouldn't sting so bad if it got replaced with something we wanted and didn't leave a hole in the lineup..

#5967 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Bothans not people!!!

Bothans are not people?

Rob

#5968 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The owner's manual does show that the wings come off.

They are pop riveted.

#5969 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Pity about that shipping. That's actually kind of tempting. I like Transformers a lot and need to raise some cash. Getting rid of Met wouldn't sting so bad if it got replaced with something we wanted and didn't leave a hole in the lineup..

Got ya! It's a fun game. The mods are there and the backglass signed...

transformers lit.jpg (resized).jpgtransformers lit.jpg (resized).jpg

#5970 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Bothans are not people?
Rob

Correct

#5971 6 years ago

Well in a galaxy where it's ok to liplock your sister I suppose anything is possible....

Rob

#5973 6 years ago

The detailing on the Tie Fighter is pretty terrible... It looks like it's dipped in a black paint and the excess is rubbed off.

Rob

#5974 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

They are pop riveted.

Item 8 in the manual as shown above is a rivet 4-40 5/16? I would have thought that is a screw.

#5975 6 years ago

There's deleted scenes from ESB where Leia was kissing Luke even more.... I don't think George planned for them to be related until the third movie.

Rob

#5976 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Well in a galaxy where it's ok to liplock your sister I suppose anything is possible....
Rob

e5RK9a1 (resized).pnge5RK9a1 (resized).png

#5977 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Item 8 in the manual as shown above is a rivet 4-40 5/16? I would have thought that is a screw.

Ill double check my pro tonight, but could of sworn I saw rivets holding those wings on.

#5978 6 years ago

Dude, not me, Luke and Leia.... where's the barf emoji....

#5979 6 years ago

Hey, you know how many people died for Page 52 of that manual?

Quoted from TheLaw:

Bothans not people!!!

It's like amateur hour in here. Those are clearly plans for the first (fully functional) Death Star. I'm embarrassed to have to state something so obvious, but the Bothans died acquiring plans for the second (partially constructed) Death Star. Which is not to be confused with the third Death Star as seen in The Force Awakens. Eagerly awaiting the next installment to see what they do with the fourth Death Star.

#5980 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

There's deleted scenes from ESB where Leia was kissing Luke even more.... I don't think George planned for them to be related until the third movie.
Rob

I believe this is correct....

#5981 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

It's like amateur hour in here. Those are clearly plans for the first (fully functional) Death Star. I'm embarrassed to have to state something so obvious, but the Bothans died acquiring plans for the second (partially constructed) Death Star. Which is not to be confused with the third Death Star as seen in The Force Awakens. Eagerly awaiting the next installment to see what they do with the fourth Death Star.

But there's only one in the game right? Maybe there should be 2.......

Rob

#5982 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm embarrassed to have to state something so obvious, but the Bothans died acquiring plans for the second (partially constructed) Death Star.

First off, well played sir.

Second off, what the hell did they really do?
"Oh hey bros fly in the open side and shoot the massive glowing thing in the middle."

Talk aboot amateur hour!

#5983 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

The whole death constellation thing has really underperformed.

#5984 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

First off, well played sir.
Second off, what the hell did they really do?
"Oh hey bros fly in the open side and shoot the massive glowing thing in the middle."
Talk aboot amateur hour!

Pinball is hard, but blowing up death stars is pretty easy.

Rob

#5985 6 years ago

Tie Interceptor is pretty cool, but it just never seemed to be featured much in the movies. Is it anywhere on the game art?

Rob

Tie_interceptor (resized).jpgTie_interceptor (resized).jpg

#5986 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Tie Interceptor is pretty cool, but it just never seemed to be featured much in the movies. Is it anywhere on the game art?
Rob

Maybe SW VE will be "Tie Fighter vs. X-Wing"

#5987 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Pinball is hard, but blowing up death stars is pretty easy.
Rob

I always was perplexed how a torpedo down an exhaust tube could blow up the entire station, but they encase their garbage compactors with some blaster resistant / rebounding alloy. A small grill made up of that stuff over the exhaust tube would have saved a lot of grief for the empire.

#5988 6 years ago

So the tie fighters are blowing up. Really?!? The only sort of interactive thing on the PF other than the screen and it is going to fall apart. Gee who would have thought a cheap piece of plastic will not win a battle with a steel ball. Sure they could have spent another $10 on materials but this way they save the $10 and make money on replacements too!

I have a deposit down on one and am supposed to get it next week. I was going to put it on location but if this is going to fall apart and need to be replaced frequently it is a non starter. It will look like crap broken (ball on a spring?) and I don't want to keep a bunch of spare tie fighters around.

Does anyone know if Stern is going to do a redesign? I'm so over Stern right now. My order is about to get cancelled unless Stern comes out and says they will fix this ASAP.

#5989 6 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Does anyone know if Stern is going to do a redesign?

Maybe they'll just swap in a 2D Tie Fighter plastic (think Mick-on-a-Stick) that'll be cheap to replace.

#5990 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

crazy, looks like 4 magnets and 4 switches behind the backboard that run the hyper loop...so 4 balls can be stored for the hyper loop? or just 3 on the loop?

It's just an acceleration device, I woudn't expect it to store any balls at all (stationary on the magnets).

#5991 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Maybe they'll just swap in a 2D Tie Fighter plastic (think Mick-on-a-Stick) that'll be cheap to replace.

I have an extra shuttle from st:tng that I will mount in its place if / when mine breaks.

#5992 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Ill double check my pro tonight, but could of sworn I saw rivets holding those wings on.

It's a tiny screw (hex head).

#5993 6 years ago

Tie Fighter breking at record pace...you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss 3 bucks goodbye.

#5994 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Good find! Guess that squashes the rumors of possibly adding drop targets to the mini-lcd

"rumors"

Just dreaming something up and repeating it often enough to yourself isn't really a rumor.

#5995 6 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Just dreaming something up and repeating it often enough to yourself isn't really a rumor.

Welcome to pinside is this your first visit

#5996 6 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

I always was perplexed how a torpedo down an exhaust tube could blow up the entire station, but they encase their garbage compactors with some blaster resistant / rebounding alloy. A small grill made up of that stuff over the exhaust tube would have saved a lot of grief for the empire.

Have you not seen Rogue One? The designer intentionally made the Death Star vulnerable to a catastrophic event.

#5997 6 years ago

I got a bunch of pro model games in this weekend at an event. Here's my impressions.

The GOOD:

- The art package looks better in person. I came down HARD on this art when it was revealed, and while I still feel its a missed opportunity to make something creative and interesting, the 'stock' photo collage with photoshop paint over actually looks nice when you see it in person.

- The light show on this machine is pretty damn good. I hope that RGB General Illumination becomes standard. This also is something that doesn't translate well in videos. You need to see it in person. Wish it had been utilized more in modes.

- The Music/sounds are fantastic. This is the highlight of the machine. Music gets you pumped up, the fan-fair noises when you hit the Jedi mini targets is super satisfying. There's some good callouts that are mission themed. Like Han yelling "what are you DOING!?" in the Deathstar escape mission.

- Lack of air-balls. There's always a few in any game, but as a Ghostbusters Owner, It was nice to see a machine that does not require 4-5 extra plastic guards you need to purchase and install yourself just to make it playable.

- Mini LCD. I actually really like the mini screen on the playfield. I wish it had more info on it... but I almost never look up at the the big LCD, so it was nice to have something to reference during gameplay.

- This is going to be a very easy game to maintain. The machine has no gimmicky features, like gene simmons mouth, a rotating bat cave of craziness, slimer toy that needs to be constantly adjusted... etc... This machine has Pops, 2 ramps, a spinner, a scoop, and targets. That's it. Very little can go wrong, and anything that does go wrong will be very easy to fix.

- While the rules are very confusing, I can see this being a fantastic 'tournament' machine. High scores on Star Wars is all about rules. You can keep the ball in play for a long time and still score low if you are not clear on your objectives, and how to exploit the rules.

- Inner orbit was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Probably the best physical feature on the table. Never shot down the middle on an exit, and it was always a satisfying jolt of anxiety when you hit it fast.

THE BAD:

- As mentioned before, the pro model is VERY thin on features. Feels like it took a step toward a 'home model' design... or a 'budget' model. Which is ironic, as it's more expensive than Ghostbusters was, even though it has half as many features. This game REALLY needs a 3rd mini flipper, and/or some 'force magnet' action in that empty middle ground.

- Layout is boring. That's not to say the game wasn't challenging, but over time, I would get bored REAL fast with this game. All the shots are far up the field, and they all seem to be the same size. Most games have at least one 'wider' shot to make that you can feel comfortable hitting. These shots all seem to be of equal difficulty, just placed in different angles. Just... kinda boring

- Scoop is designed to drain. there were 10 Pro models where I was playing, and roughly 50% of the machines you had to hold up the right flipper if you didn't want to loose your ball coming out of the scoop. Even then a lot of times it would just kiss your flipper, bounce of the left, and go down anyway. This could be fixed at home by adjusting kicker power, but on location this is frustrating as hell. Of all the complaints I have about this machine, this scoop was the worst, and made me stop wanting to play. There really needs to be a 3 second ball save whenever the ball is shot out of there. That its not there is lazy game design.

- The 'hit button rapidly' is a terrible feature. Its not fun, it gets old. If I owned this game I would get SO tired of that BS. Enjoy your first week of existence middle button. Because after that everyone is going to ignore you outside a tournament setting.

- There is a noticeable lack of 'celebration moments' in the game. As example, the 'storage facility multiball' on Ghostbusters is a great dramatic light and sounds show that sets up a narrative experience and builds anticipation. By contrast, the 'We are ready to believe you' mode is just a boring multiball that starts with no fan fair or celebration. Star Wars seems to have no 'moments'. It never slows down, it never pauses to build the anticipation. There is very little acknowledgement of accomplishments. which contributes to its kinda being boring over time.

- Finally I'll complain about the code. I know the code will be worked on. It will become... 'more'...finished. But this game was barely playable. I saw many people have the game freeze up. And a few people got so far into the game that they hit the end of what has been programmed, and the game just went quiet and dark. So I get that those things are 'mostly' temporary. The BIGGER problem I see, is that STERN is fully invested in this big video screen movement that has a ton of animations and UI design going on while you play. Personally, I'm not a fan of the big screens, I almost never look up while playing, and if I do, its not to read a ton of text and watch movie clips. It's completely UN-necessary for the game. The video experience DOES however require a ton of extra work in code and development. Which will slow down STERNs already sluggish code updates. You think things are bad now? wait until STERN is trying to update and bug fix 10 different machines that all have video displays that need to have all their visuals and UI updated any time they make an update, along with their normal game code update.

I finished the weekend not wanting to play it anymore. With the frustrating over complicated code options, the kinda boring layout, and super frustrating 'auto drain' scoop return... I walked away from machines on free play. I don't intend to ever play it again. Its just not my game. That said, I can see how it will be a huge earner on location, and probably an excellent tournament pin. I hope stern makes a ton of money off of it and keeps making more pins. This one is not for me, but I have my fingers crossed for future titles.

#5998 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Have you not seen Rogue One? The designer intentionally made the Death Star vulnerable to a catastrophic event.

To be fair, that was pretty much a 2.5 hour movie designed to cover up a notorious plot hole.

#5999 6 years ago

The scoop is my one major complaint. Our one on location locally never locked up but I'm not particularly surprised to hear about that either with the state the code is in there's probably a lot of stuff that's 'commented out' in the code and God knows how that's affecting stability.

#6000 6 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

To be fair, that was pretty much a 2.5 hour movie designed to cover up a notorious plot hole.

And Bingo was his name-o!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 120 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/120 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.