8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 118 of 150.
#5851 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Very cool. Checking the video out now. I'll be able to play it in a few days, and I'm getting really excited.

It's pretty cool these are making it out so quick. Last week I wanted to play it and there was only a few dozen listed nationwide with none near me. I checked again last night and have one 30 min away now, even with our area usually lacking in public pins. Im sure it's a testament to the theme and SW will be everywhere within a few months.

#5852 6 years ago
Quoted from timballs:

Put together a tutorial of the current code release v0.85 in time for Pinburgh. Goes up to and beyond the "end" of the game in current code, so if you're looking to see how complete the game is so far you'll see the whole thing here.

Cool mod the floating x-wing pilot head. (Your post has a preview of the video and your head looks to be floating)

starwarsfighter (resized).jpgstarwarsfighter (resized).jpg

#5853 6 years ago

Yeesh, that's surprisingly unfinished. Still looks fun, but it might be a little while before that game is ready to be called complete.

#5854 6 years ago

Drove down to the Pinball Lounge today and finally got to try this out. I put 10 games on it to try and give it a fair shake. I'm a pretty big fan of both Star Wars and Steve Ritchie. The short if it is that I really wasn't impressed.
The good:
The music obviously
The speed
The lightshow

The bad:
That is one empty playfield.
Quite a few STDM or weird ricochet shots (really I had 2 go off the right flipper and over everything else into the left drain)
The tie on spring. A friend was watching and thought someone added that as a joke mod.
Whack a mole tie destroying.
Pops are kind of an afterthought.

The indifferent:
The rules. Lots of options here. I know some people are going to love this, but it didn't make up for the shortcomings for me.
The video clips. These were nice, but I didn't feel immersed in the game or connected with what I was doing on the field. Especially when stacking objectives as they threw the timeline way off.
The LCD. This has potential, but certainly isn't showing it now.
The art. It was serviceable but nothing special.

After driving 2 hours for this I was looking forward to playing it all evening. After playing 3 sets of 3 for $2 games on it (and one match), I was done. I then ended up playing quite a few other games there. Aerosmith just felt more fun and with a more vibrant light show. Star Trek felt more satisfying (which surprised me as I've enjoyed it before but didn't expect it to hold a candle to Star Wars). MMr and NGG ended up sucking up most of my time and money.

For me this ends up pretty far down my list of modern Stern games. I'd rather play MET, TRON, AS, POTC, LOTR, SM, GB, TWD, ST, or AC/DC. It isn't a horrible game, just not one I enjoy. And after 10 games I felt like any more on it would be wasting time instead of playing something better. If I want my Steve Ritchie fix I'll just play my BK2K or go nearby for No Fear.

#5855 6 years ago

I still can't believe there is not a single Star Wars on location in Chicago yet. What gives.

#5856 6 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

I still can't believe there is not a single Star Wars on location in Chicago yet. What gives.

No SW ghosting in chicago! It's 2 close 2 the factory.....

#5857 6 years ago
Quoted from timballs:

Put together a tutorial of the current code release v0.85 in time for Pinburgh. Goes up to and beyond the "end" of the game in current code, so if you're looking to see how complete the game is so far you'll see the whole thing here. » YouTube video

This makes things alot clearer.

#5858 6 years ago

Timballs "Go Giants"

#5859 6 years ago

The constantly-active, increasing-decreasing, locking and unlocking multipliers (with potential to be multiplied further) are just too much.

I hope they take a serious look at this as a potential turn-off for ALL players. It's a great idea that's implemented on a level only few people will enjoy.

I went to Timballs school of Star Wars and my brain still hurts.

At least put the buttons on a Dance Dance Revolution foot pad if i have to constantly move multipliers and i'll jig my way to a high score.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5860 6 years ago

I like moving multipliers as a concept, but it looks insane in action. Maybe they should dial that back and you can set them up during times when the ball is stopped (mode select, before the plunge, etc.). The action button is just way, way overused, especially for how fast the game plays in the first place. All that can be tweaked though.

#5861 6 years ago

Outside of the values of the multipliers, timers, etc. I doubt anything changes. I think it's great. Log me in as one of the few that likes it. Until now, lockbar buttons served little to no purpose. I like the change up on this game.

#5862 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Outside of the values of the multipliers, timers, etc. I doubt anything changes. I think it's great. Log me in as one of the few that likes it. Until now, lockbar buttons served little to no purpose. I like the change up on this game.

It took me a while, but now that I have quite a few plays on mine and know the modes/shoots well I like that I can always move my multiplier around also. At first I was trying to utilize it and it was to much, so for a while I just focused on the shots and getting to know the game better.

Quoted from jar155:

I like moving multipliers as a concept, but it looks insane in action. Maybe they should dial that back and you can set them up during times when the ball is stopped (mode select, before the plunge, etc.). The action button is just way, way overused, especially for how fast the game plays in the first place. All that can be tweaked though.

There have been many times I have been playing that I start a hurry up or some shot to finish I mode that I know will be worth a lot of points, so I take a minuet, catch my ball and move my multiplier over and lock it. Moving them around mid play is part of the risk /reward style of game play. You could technically lock them at the start of ball 1 and never move them the entire game. I usually lock them on the death star/endor/hoth shots right at the start as those are seem to be used the most for the modes. Although I will say the most I am focused on where it is, is when I hit the mystery and while that is doing its clip I move it around.

#5863 6 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

The constantly-active, increasing-decreasing, locking and unlocking multipliers (with potential to be multiplied further) are just too much.
I hope they take a serious look at this as a potential turn-off for ALL players. It's a great idea that's implemented on a level only few people will enjoy.

Quoted from jar155:

Disagree. Had a chance to play the game a few times on the weekend and the first couple of games I paid no attention to the multiplier shots at all, just shooting around the game to get a feel of the shots and it was fun. You can play every single mode, get multiballs, etc. without worrying about the multipliers at all, so the casual player will probably not even notice. However if you want to maximize scoring on the machine it is something you would have to learn. You cradle up, look at where your multiplier shots are, see if it makes sense for the mode/multiball you are on and move them if you need to. Not rocket science.

#5864 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

It took me a while, but now that I have quite a few plays on mine and know the modes/shoots well I like that I can always move my multiplier around also. At first I was trying to utilize it and it was to much, so for a while I just focused on the shots and getting to know the game better.

There have been many times I have been playing that I start a hurry up or some shot to finish I mode that I know will be worth a lot of points, so I take a minuet, catch my ball and move my multiplier over and lock it. Moving them around mid play is part of the risk /reward style of game play. You could technically lock them at the start of ball 1 and never move them the entire game. I usually lock them on the death star/endor/hoth shots right at the start as those are seem to be used the most for the modes. Although I will say the most I am focused on where it is, is when I hit the mystery and while that is doing its clip I move it around.

Don't forget about the mystery shot. I've gotten massive points from multiplying that.

#5865 6 years ago

Since there doesn't appear to be any valid reason to turn multipliers off (except for when you move them), wouldn't it just make sense to leave them "on" all of the time and just use the lockdown button to shift them over one spot to the right with every press? -it would greatly simplify the process.

#5866 6 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I went to Timballs school of Star Wars and my brain still hurts.
At least put the buttons on a Dance Dance Revolution foot pad if i have to constantly move multipliers and i'll jig my way to a high score.

I love pins with depth, but the multipliers have WAY too much complexity to make me even care.

#5868 6 years ago

We're closing in on two months since the reveal of SW and still no Prem/LE video.

#5869 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Since there doesn't appear to be any valid reason to turn multipliers off (except for when you move them), wouldn't it just make sense to leave them "on" all of the time and just use the lockdown button to shift them over one spot to the right with every press? -it would greatly simplify the process.

That seems to be a better idea and could easily be integrated. They could just lock out the ability to move the multiplier while hitting the button for TIE Fighters so it doesn't send the multiplier all over the place during that sequence.

#5870 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I agree in that why don't you just always leave them on, besides moving them is there a point to turning them off?

I think it was Chuckwurt and a few others suggested that multipliers can only increase in value when turned off, and hold the multiplier value when it's 'locked in'. This would make more sense.

#5871 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I agree in that why don't you just always leave them on, besides moving them is there a point to turning them off?
I think it was Chuckwurt and a few others suggested that multipliers can only increase in value when turned off, and hold the multiplier value when it's 'locked in'. This would make more sense.

I *think* (stress think, not 100% sure) that they currently decay slower when disabled.

#5872 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Looked like they kept growing regardless of whether or not they were locked in during Tim's video. I didn't pay close enough attention, but he was getting to 28x and I didn't see him locking/moving during those multiballs.

#5873 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I love pins with depth, but the multipliers have WAY too much complexity to make me even care.

Hit targets to increase the multiplier. Multipliers decrease if targets not hit for awhile. Multiplier is applied to the locked in multiplier shot(s). Number of available multiplier shots decrease as multiplier gets higher. Hit button to unlock, move, hit again to lock to change where your multiplier is.

It is a different system than people are used to for sure, but I don't think I would call it complex.

#5874 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

That seems to be a better idea and could easily be integrated. They could just lock out the ability to move the multiplier while hitting the button for TIE Fighters so it doesn't send the multiplier all over the place during that sequence.

I really don't even care if the multiplier still moves during "Tie Fighters". It's better than turning the multipliers on and off all the time like how it is currently implemented. There's been a few times where I've forgot to turn them back on again after doing the Tie Fighter hurry-up which likely caused me to lose significant points.

The only way it makes sense to leave it as-is if if you had a way to "lock-In" or pause the multiplier timers and save them for when you really need them vs. having them grow and decay whether the multipliers are turned on or off.

#5875 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

They could just lock out the ability to move the multiplier while hitting the button for TIE Fighters so it doesn't send the multiplier all over the place during that sequence.

I will recheck tonight but thought this was already implemented. Multipliers don't unlock while in tie fighter hurry up now until the timer reaches 0. Once it hits 0 if you are still pounding the button it will start to turn them on and off. Also multipliers don't move unless unlock and moved left to right with the flipper buttons, the lockbar button doesn't move them.

#5876 6 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

It is a different system than people are used to for sure, but I don't think I would call it complex.

It's not functionally complex, it's mechanically complex. It looks like you're playing Pop'n Music at times rather than pinball.

#5877 6 years ago

Just looked at the timballs video, and when he is in tie fighter hurry up his multipliers don't unlock or move at all until it is over.

#5878 6 years ago

20246192_10159072774965300_4241213337967911547_n (resized).jpg20246192_10159072774965300_4241213337967911547_n (resized).jpg

Got to play the game this weekend and had a really positive first impression. Game shoots and sounds great! Those of you who are complaining about the open playfield do you also hate games like AFM?

Only worry is rules may be a bit too complex when it comes to choosing heroes, bonus rewards and managing multipliers. I just felt like I was spinning too many plates for such a fast and hectic game. Once I get more time with the code maybe I'll appreciate the complexity but choice paralysis had me launching the ball most times without caring about what I picked. I usually gravitated to a bonus that would help me start a mode. Speaking of modes, big fan of the mode stacking in this game.

#5879 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Just looked at the timballs video, and when he is in tie fighter hurry up his multipliers don't unlock or move at all until it is over.

Right, I meant to keep them freezed if they changed it so just a single action button tap rotated the multipliers.

#5880 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's not functionally complex, it's mechanically complex. It looks like you're playing Pop'n Music at times rather than pinball.

Mechanically complex? Hit button, hit flipper, hit button? You could train a monkey to do it with two bananas and 10 minutes of time. The single action button tap to move them removes the ability to disable them altogether. It seems premature to make a design decision like that imo.

I can honestly say never once while I was playing was I overwhelmed by the complexity, either functionally or mechanically. It isn't something I would want to try in the middle of a multi-ball, but I think it would become part of the strategy to have the multipliers situated properly before you got into the multi-ball...

#5881 6 years ago

Finly broke through on the game. Factory settings. Had a 600 mil bonus on one ball and hit a few 60 mil tie fighter hurry ups. Really an incredible rush playing this game. Simiar to iron man only better as there is a lot more going on. Game awarded me a couple of extra balls.

20170723_204424 (resized).jpg20170723_204424 (resized).jpg

#5882 6 years ago

Timballs' stream was pretty good. I think he correctly described it as the rules making it focused on game management. As far as I know, that's pretty innovative on Stern's part, which is really cool. I don't think anyone that regularly plays pinball will have too hard a time figuring it out. That being said, I do worry it might be too complicated for a casual player that just likes to hit shots to what happens next in a mode.

#5883 6 years ago

Multipliers are staying as is. Just get to practicing! Haha

#5884 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Finly broke through on the game. Factory settings. Had a 600 mil bonus on one ball and hit a few 60 mil tie fighter hurry ups. Really an incredible rush playing this game. Simiar to iron man only better as there is a lot more going on. Game awarded me a couple of extra balls.

What character did you play as? I hit 3.3 billion the other night (my personal high) as R2 and find he is the easiest to get a big score out of the gate due to which missions he has completed from the start.

#5885 6 years ago

Nope too confusing sorry. I don;t even use Magna-Save on older games becasue i refuse to use anymore than 2 buttons

#5886 6 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

I think he correctly described it as the rules making it focused on game management.

This is exactly what it felt like. Complexity does not always equal "fun". I guess I just prefer games where I'm making those strategic decisions with the ball not a menu.

#5887 6 years ago

I'll adjust, I just don't like this as a new direction for pinball. It was fine with GoT, but took a while to figure out. Star Wars can be learned fine, sure, but it's going to have an even longer learning curve. They're just asking you to take your hands off the flippers so often. Feels weird.

#5888 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'll adjust, I just don't like this as a new direction for pinball. It was fine with GoT, but took a while to figure out. Star Wars can be learned fine, sure, but it's going to have an even longer learning curve. They're just asking you to take your hands off the flippers so often. Feels weird.

I was utterly clueless on the use of the multipliers for hours of play. But once I figured it out, it became so much fun. Those times where you thought you multiplied a shot, but forgot to turn it on, are brutal. But those times when you move the multiplier from shot to shot like a surgeon ("A"players multiplying every shot in the Boba Fett hurry up mode is going to be a site to see, and what tons of other players will try to duplicate) is an amazing feeling.

It's hard no doubt. But at least they are trying new things. Not everyone will like it, that's why with new pinball more than ever people need to play before buying.

#5889 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It's hard no doubt. But at least they are trying new things. Not everyone will like it, that's why with new pinball more than ever people need to play before buying.

I was just about to post this. People bitch non stop no one is trying new things with pinball, then new things are tried and everyone bitches because its to complex or I have to move my hands from the only two buttons on the machine? Lets bitch about how GB sucks because its the same modes in the same ladder time over time again (do I really need to play who brought the dog for 19th billion time?), now lets bitch about how SW has to many paths/options to pick from? I truly feel no matter what anybody does anymore, people are just going to find some reason to bitch. Its not just pinball its plaguing society has a whole.

All star wars literally asks you to pick is a character at the beginning of the game, and then pick a path (ie: reward) at the start of each ball. Thing is you don't even have to pick either of those things, you can just plunge the ball and start the game and shoot for whatever you want, you never have to use move or lock in your multipliers either. You can see every mode, and aspect of the game without ever having to take your hands from the two flipper buttons, it will however just make you shoot a lot more shots to do so.

Society is in such an instant satisfaction state of mind now, if you cant pick it up and figure it out within a few minuets, then its to much to handle. People truly need to just take a step back (maybe take a brake from pinside?) play some pinball and realize how good we have it. We are in 2017 and have new pins coming out (multiples from different manufactures), what would people do if all pinball manufactures closed shop? No new pins were coming out to bitch about?

Okay, end rant.

#5890 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

They're just asking you to take your hands off the flippers so often. Feels weird.

This sounds weird.

#5891 6 years ago

You dont have to play who brought the dog first on GB, you can start 1 of the other 2 ladders if you want.

#5892 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

People bitch non stop no one is trying new things with pinball, then new things are tried and everyone bitches because its to complex or I have to move my hands from the only two buttons on the machine? Lets bitch about how GB sucks because its the same modes in the same ladder time over time again (do I really need to play who brought the dog for 19th billion time?), now lets bitch about how SW has to many paths/options to pick from? I truly feel no matter what anybody does anymore, people are just going to find some reason to bitch. Its not just pinball its plaguing society has a whole.

And now you're bitching about people who bitch....

#5893 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

And now you're bitching about people who bitch....

Damnit Ted, now im mad at myself for contributing to the bitching HAHA.

#5894 6 years ago

Great feedback going on here keept it up. Question; is button mashing tie fighter mode monotonous and old after say 50 plays? And would it make sense to have an option adjustment in the menu to change it from button hits to switch hits? Or would it make sense to toggle it randomly, sometimes it's switch hits and sometimes it's button mashing? Would need specific call outs of course but shouldn't be too hard.

EDIT: reason I bring this up is if I get this game, I typically play with headphones as to not disrupt the house too much but hearing me play and mashing away at that button every 10 mins could get old with the family lol

#5895 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I was just about to post this. People bitch non stop no one is trying new things with pinball, then new things are tried and everyone bitches because its to complex or I have to move my hands from the only two buttons on the machine? Lets bitch about how GB sucks because its the same modes in the same ladder time over time again (do I really need to play who brought the dog for 19th billion time?), now lets bitch about how SW has to many paths/options to pick from? I truly feel no matter what anybody does anymore, people are just going to find some reason to bitch. Its not just pinball its plaguing society has a whole.
All star wars literally asks you to pick is a character at the beginning of the game, and then pick a path (ie: reward) at the start of each ball. Thing is you don't even have to pick either of those things, you can just plunge the ball and start the game and shoot for whatever you want, you never have to use move or lock in your multipliers either. You can see every mode, and aspect of the game without ever having to take your hands from the two flipper buttons, it will however just make you shoot a lot more shots to do so.
Society is in such an instant satisfaction state of mind now, if you cant pick it up and figure it out within a few minuets, then its to much to handle. People truly need to just take a step back (maybe take a brake from pinside?) play some pinball and realize how good we have it. We are in 2017 and have new pins coming out (multiples from different manufactures), what would people do if all pinball manufactures closed shop? No new pins were coming out to bitch about?
Okay, end rant.

Amen. Major thumbs up here Willy!

#5896 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

EDIT: reason I bring this up is if I get this game, I typically play with headphones as to not disrupt the house too much but hearing me play and mashing away at that button every 10 mins could get old with the family lol

Once I got used to the mode I could be very quiet and still mash away. Also there much less time to mash away than earlier code and typically you only get to 2 to 3 mash button modes per game. 15-20 hits max possible per mash mode.

#5897 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Great feedback going on here keept it up. Question; is button mashing tie fighter mode monotonous and old after say 50 plays? And would it make sense to have an option adjustment in the menu to change it from button hits to switch hits? Or would it make sense to toggle it randomly, sometimes it's switch hits and sometimes it's button mashing? Would need specific call outs of course but shouldn't be too hard.

The only way I could see this disturbing to the family is if you have a shaker installed. The shaker shakes a little bit with each tie blowing up via the button push. Other then that I don't think its any louder then hitting the flipper buttons, with some plays you should beable to learn it well enough to press quietly.

#5898 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

...as to not disrupt the house too much but hearing me play and mashing away at that button every 10 mins could get old with the family lol

First rule of Track & Field/Hyper Sports club is hitting the buttons louder does not equal hitting them faster.

#5899 6 years ago

The "button smashing" tie fighter mode is actually a bonus. Gives you the opportunity to rack up your count quickly as opposed to the other means. Faster you get them, the faster you get to multi-ball and beyond. You don't have to button smash, but it sure helps. I for one love that Stern is trying new things and making the game more interactive. Seems like they might actually be listening to us? Heck, even the bottom edge of the play field has a radius on it to prevent clear coat from chipping. I always try and change the led's in my games to make it "original" and suit my tastes, but not this one. Stern has done a heck of a job with the led placement and colors. Really cool seeing the color scheme from mode to mode. Hope they keep it up in all aspects (except the price increases, that sucks).

#5900 6 years ago

I looked at Timballs tutorial video and i find it sad there's nothing more to do after he completed all the modes.
It's a turn off for me. I hope future code will allow to star again with harder settings or choose another character and etc ...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Union, KY
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 21.50
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Ashburn, VA
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 118 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/118 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.