8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 150.
#5551 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Judging by this post and many others in various topics, I have to ask;
Are you affiliated with Stern?

Lol.

#5552 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Distros don;t open boxes and look at games though.

I know that. But, assuming you have been reading this thread consistently, you'll notice that several people have been told that there game doesn't have the SD card by their distro. So, it leads me to believe that Stern communicated this to the distros and some distros are choosing to ship non-working games knowing full-well they don't work and not disclosing that fact to the buyer. Again, knowing Stern, maybe they didn't communicate that to the distro. Either way, it's pretty shitty.

#5553 6 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Again, knowing Stern, maybe they didn't communicate that to the distro. Either way, it's pretty shitty.

Well pretty shitty no doubt there.
I just think the distros heat on this one isn;t really needed. I think if your guy said "you have no card do you want the machine anyway" every single person would take their machine.

#5554 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Hilton did you get your SD card yet?

Last I heard... nope

No SD card

#5555 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well pretty shitty no doubt there.
I just think the distros heat on this one isn;t really needed. I think if your guy said "you have no card do you want the machine anyway" every single person would take their machine.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm probably in the minority and wouldn't take it.

But, this is more about someone (whysnow) paying extra to get it shipped sooner expecting to get a working game and receiving an non-working game.

#5556 6 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Maybe, maybe not. I'm probably in the minority and wouldn't take it.

But, this is more about someone (whysnow) paying extra to get it shipped sooner expecting to get a working game and receiving an non-working game.

There's always 1 troublemaker!

but yeah the extra shipping thing is a total shit show...not cool at all.

#5557 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Judging by this post and many others in various topics, I have to ask;
Are you affiliated with Stern?

No. Just being practical. Stern can't afford to let these sit in the factory and stand down the scheduled shipping. Unfortunate turn of events? Yes. Sky falling? No.
Best thing would have been for them to ship the game knowing the software was old and ship a second card later. They are only $5 or $10.

#5558 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think if your guy said "you have no card do you want the machine anyway" every single person would take their machine.

So true!

#5559 6 years ago

Why doesn't someone with a card copy it somewhere so these guys can make a copy and play thier games?

#5560 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Why doesn't someone with a card copy it somewhere

Because it's illegal (copyright laws)?

I could host the files on my web site, but again, it's illegal to distribute software like that.

#5561 6 years ago

It's not illegal to provide it to people who have purchased the machine: they bought the right to use it.

Anyone can download all the components directly from Stern, so not sure why it would be illegal for you to provide it.

Finally, you can't use it unless you have a machine, so who cares?

I am not a lawyer, but am staying at a Holiday Inn Express right now.

#5563 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

It's not illegal to provide it to people who have purchased the machine: they bought the right to use it.

Unauthorized copying of software is illegal. This includes distributing the software over the network or Internet – not just burning a copy of the CD or DVD. Copyright law protects software authors and publishers, just as patent law protects inventors.

IF SOFTWARE IS NOT COPY-PROTECTED, DO I HAVE THE RIGHT TO COPY IT?

Lack of copy-protection is not the same as absence of copyright. Lack of protection does not constitute permission to copy software to share or to sell. Unprotected software enables you to safeguard your investment by making a backup copy. In offering unprotected software to you, the developer or publisher has placed a significant amount of trust in your integrity.

#5564 6 years ago

Hey umm....whom let the narc in here?

#5565 6 years ago

I posted the link to the instructions a page or two ago on how to make your own SD card when you own the game.......

#5566 6 years ago

I too was wondering why someone was waiting on an SD card

There's like 10 in my house right now

If I had a new game I'd be downloading shit onto my own SD card right now

#5567 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Unauthorized copying of software is illegal. This includes distributing the software over the network or Internet – not just burning a copy of the CD or DVD. Copyright law protects software authors and publishers, just as patent law protects inventors.
Lack of copy-protection is not the same as absence of copyright. Lack of protection does not constitute permission to copy software to share or to sell. Unprotected software enables you to safeguard your investment by making a backup copy. In offering unprotected software to you, the developer or publisher has placed a significant amount of trust in your integrity.

It's illegal to misrepresent a product.

You know, like a pinball machine that doesn't have the code to boot up

Integrity & stuff

#5568 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I too was wondering why someone was waiting on an SD card

Believe me, I was *this* close to doing it. However, you've gotta have a base image to install the software on, and it's proprietary to Stern at this point. The tutorial linked to earlier was great, but was for v1 of the Spike board and it was untested on v2. I personally didn't want to screw up a node board by installing a version of software on there that may or may not be the same - especially when the game will be out on route.

I was also thinking of imaging the Aerosmith code, dropping that into SW and then changing the software to SW. But again...I really didn't want to run software not meant for a particular machine to kill a node board or screw something else up.

edit: Received the SD card earlier today, installed and it's up and running!

#5569 6 years ago

Man didn't mean to bring up a sensitive subject. I understand the legality, was focused on the practicalities of letting someone play their games.

There are laws and there are ethics. I would have no issue breaking the law in this case because it's the right thing to do for owners and there is truly no one harmed.

I understand if you don't personally want to do it, but it would be a shame if these machines couldn't be played over the weekend.

#5570 6 years ago

Which is worse, internet tough guys, internet police, or internet lawyers?

#5571 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

When they pay in full for a working game, who gives a shit whether or not it is illegal. Are they going to prosecute a customer who has purchased the right to a working game with working code. Of course not. Can you imagine the uproar if they tried prosecute in this case.

You have to be realistic. If it can be done, then in his case it should be done.

#5572 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Last I heard... nope
No SD card

My SD card finally showed up about 2:30 this afternoon. I hope yours shows up as well. I love the game so far, it's fast and a little confusing at first, but I'm starting to figure some of the modes out. It has the great SR flow, but that horseshoe shot if hit too fast will end up SDTM.

#5573 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

My SD card finally showed up about 2:30 this afternoon. I hope yours shows up as well. I love the game so far, it's fast and a little confusing at first, but I'm starting to figure some of the modes out. It has the great SR flow, but that horseshoe shot if hit too fast will end up SDTM.

That's possibly a leveling/adjustment issue, one I've played on-route doesn't drain SDTM off the Death Star loop (ball save off targets and straight down right outlane is another matter ...)

#5574 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Righteo now make a backup of it and upload the image file for others

#5575 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Which is worse, internet tough guys, internet police, or internet lawyers?

Yes

#5576 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

That's possibly a leveling/adjustment issue, one I've played on-route doesn't drain SDTM off the Death Star loop (ball save off targets and straight down right outlane is another matter ...)

I sure hope it is an leveling/adjustment issue, because right now this is the most frustrating game I have ever played. As soon as you plunge the ball it is out of control side to side every single time. So you get a lot of outlane drains. Then the loop is a drain monster, It doesn't drain if I hit it softer but if you hit it hard with a rebound combo its SDTM and lightening fast. If it would hit a flipper then it would be great. I just feel so cheated, I hate getting punished for making the shot I was supposed to make.

#5577 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I sure hope it is an leveling/adjustment issue, because right now this is the most frustrating game I have ever played. As soon as you plunge the ball it is out of control side to side every single time. So you get a lot of outlane drains. Then the loop is a drain monster, It doesn't drain if I hit it softer but if you hit it hard with a rebound combo its SDTM and lightening fast. If it would hit a flipper then it would be great. I just feel so cheated, I hate getting punished for making the shot I was supposed to make.

Maybe the machine you were playing wasn't set steep enough? But there's definitely still some hectic side-to-side action on this game, if you like to cradle up after every shot you'll have to earn it.

#5578 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Thx, ours showed up today also. Glad Stern got it in the mail quickly. Still not happy with the situation, but glad they recified it as quick as they could once they realized the issue.

#5579 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Thx, ours showed up today also. Glad Stern got it in the mail quickly. Still not happy with the situation, but glad they recified it as quick as they could once they realized the issue.

So are you up and running?

#5580 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So are you up and running?

Yes, game is live and out onroute at Maria's in Madison. Cool artand music spot on the hip east side of town. 8 games there now. We have 35 games total onroute now and to think 4 years ago youwere hard pressed to find a single machine orth playing in town.

#5581 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Well I'm on day 3 now with a new game that I still can't play. I was told the SD card would be here by 10:30 am this morning and it is still MIA... I'm a pretty patient guy but this is pushing my buttons

Your Pinside username sums it up, lol.

#5582 6 years ago

Played it Friday night on location for first time. Maybe 15 games or so. Got bored. Play field is so barren. You would think Stern would have gone all out on this considering every other Star Wars pin sucks balls, but nope. Hopefully the premium is up to the task. Scoring is ridiculous. Imagine getting over 3 billion on your 7th or 8th game ever playing TWD. Luke and Leia are strong. Han and R2 are at a disadvantage, which is probably why extra ball is lit for them at the beginning.9

IMG_0664 (resized).JPGIMG_0664 (resized).JPG

IMG_0667 (resized).JPGIMG_0667 (resized).JPG

#5583 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Every person I've talked to about this game says this at first. Just keep playing.

#5584 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Han and R2 are at a disadvantage, which is probably why extra ball is lit for them at the beginning.9

That's a bug. Power cycle the game to fix.

#5585 6 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

Righteo now make a backup of it and upload the image file for others

I think there should be a library of SD card images. While living on the GB forum for a year, I saw more than once someone had accidentally erased their card or the card became corrupted which made it very hard for them to get it back.
I made a copy of my GB card for safety per Super Nova Pinball video, but not everyone did that or did in time.

#5586 6 years ago

Game arrived Wednesday, SD arrived Friday, I knew in advance from my distro that the SD was coming later. No biggie. The SW bug was a pretty serious "eats hardware" bug. People are LOVING the machine.

20116756_10156424698122571_2000481522639681330_o (resized).jpg20116756_10156424698122571_2000481522639681330_o (resized).jpg

#5587 6 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

Game arrived Wednesday, SD arrived Friday, I knew in advance from my distro that the SD was coming later. No biggie. The SW bug was a pretty serious "eats hardware" bug. People are LOVING the machine.

I love the placement of the machines in the middle of the room with the side table. I had long pondered this, and thought it would be the ideal set up for a more social pinball experience, as opposed to the traditional row of machines along the wall with everyone's backs to the room.

#5588 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That's a bug. Power cycle the game to fix.

Power cycle fixes the immediate extra ball thing?

#5589 6 years ago

"" The SW bug was a pretty serious "eats hardware" bug. ""
Umm.. What does this mean... Eats hardware? Is there a bug popping node bds?

#5590 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Power cycle fixes the immediate extra ball thing?

Yep. I think after it has been on for 50 plays or so it starts happening.

#5591 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Your copyright law sucks if you're right.

And I think you're wrong. - With software you're generally buying not the CD/ DVD/ SD-Card but a License to use Software on it. That's kinda obvious in this case since the install files are for free download on Sterns website. You gain the right to use there by purchasing the machine. A real copyright problem is if you're downloading it for free, not owning the machine and just listen to the music in pinball browser on PC.

And at least 'here' there is one more thing to copyright law:
You're allowed to make a private copy for yourself as long as there is no copyright protection and also give that to friends (no open internet distribution). - So basically pirating within friends and family is ok and in this case it's not even pirating since you have to own the game and with that allready own the license to use the software.

#5592 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

I'd guess that means it gets played a lot.

#5593 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

I was messaged from another pinside that was missing SD card. Was told that .83 is eating node boards. Sounded like it was something to do with going into test mode and trying shaker? Sounds like they are not sure if that was the only node eating bug, hence this whole snaffu and reason for pulling SD cards from games.

In short, if you are on .83. Update to .84 asap to be safe.

#5594 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was messaged from another pinside that was missing SD card. Was told that .83 is eating node boards. Sounded like it was something to do with going into test mode and trying shaker? Sounds like they are not sure if that was the only node eating bug, hence this whole snaffu and reason for pulling SD cards from games.
In short, if you are on .83. Update to .84 asap to be safe.

Maybe that's what happened to my node board #10...

#5595 6 years ago

Finally got to get some good time on one at a friends house..... Honestly Im not impressed with it and I would probably never buy one for my collection.

Its a fantastic shooter but has the same old same old SR layout that feels like you just hitting the same thing over, and over, and over. No real change up in game play except the modes. It has a ACDC feel, but feels stripped and lacking. Zero cool toys on the pro . If you took the screen off and the death star it would be like a piece of plywood with two ramps. The horseshoe shot is pretty cool, tie fighter is meh but ok.

Playfield art is fair at best. The one strong point of the game seems to be code , light show and sound. I give it that, but you can only glitz up a Oldsmobile so much...And to me thats really what it feels like. ( Same typical stripped fan layout with new code ). Unlike Tron which is simple but has a unique feel to it. I quess if you don't own any SR games it would be a great addition... but theres no way I trading out my ACDC , ST, SM or even T3 to make space for one.

Ok ..... Flame suit on

#5596 6 years ago

I dont think you need a flame suit. You played it and formed an opinion. I really dislike ghostbusters and would never own it but many others love that piece of shit - haha.

That's what makes his hobby unique and interesting.

#5597 6 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

I dont think you need a flame suit. You played it and formed an opinion. I really dislike ghostbusters and would never own it but many others love that piece of shit - haha.
That's what makes his hobby unique and interesting.

It does as I really like GB...... If they get the code done there is so much they can do with that game and all the neat toys.

#5598 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I love the placement of the machines in the middle of the room with the side table. I had long pondered this, and thought it would be the ideal set up for a more social pinball experience, as opposed to the traditional row of machines along the wall with everyone's backs to the room.

I wish my location had power set up to do this. Can't have cords lying across the floor due to creating a trip hazard.

#5599 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Honestly Im not impressed with it.
Its a fantastic shooter.... It has a ACDC feel....... The horseshoe shot is pretty cool.......,The one strong point of the game seems to be code , light show and sound..... I quess if you don't own any SR games it would be a great addition...

No flame suit needed. But you do say a number of very positive things about the game, just to be "not impressed with it".

#5600 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Yes! I'm a fat dude and I like to play with my buddies typically. If the games are all crammed in together it's so hard to rotate between players and still be able to watch your friends play their turn. I wish more route places had a side table between each game for drinks, snacks, purses, etc..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Ashburn, VA
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.