8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 150.
#5151 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The guy with sleeves is beelzeboob.

Haha, I'm F ing with him.

Show us your ass Boobie. You said its nice.

#5152 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Unless you have a gut like I do

Is that you next to Boobie Trunch?

He's got a nice arse.

#5153 6 years ago

Beezleboob IS the man from Nantuckit! Haha I love that shirt and I must get one!

#5154 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Is that you next to Boobie Trunch?
He's got a nice arse.

Ahaha. I can't speak to the arse but I've definitely got more of a keg than that dude. So long as I can reach the flippers, right?

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Beezleboob IS the guy from Nantuckit! Haha I love that shirt and I must get one!

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who saw a coin return and said...

#5155 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Ahaha. I can't speak to the arse but I've definitely got more of a keg than that dude. So long as I can reach the flippers, right?

That's all that matters!

#5156 6 years ago

*review retracted due to extreme stupidity*

#5157 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Lol delay the game you say. All the majority of Pinside has been doing is bitching and moaning for weeks about no game play video. So Stern finally puts one out with some good players too on obvious very early code and now more Pinsiders bitch and moan about some things that look off. God I wish someone at Stern had big enough balls to tell the majority of you to F off.

Do you know what being an apologist gets you? A worse product. Stop defending incompetence and start expecting better. It's the only way to make Stern improve.

You don't owe Stern anything. Chill with the white knight stuff and realize that critics just want a better product.

Also, if you've ever launched a product professionally, you would be appalled at how shoddy Stern's releases are handled. They want to talk about how they are the most legit and professional outfit in pinball, but they don't want to act like it. That shouldn't be defended nor excused away.

We pay for better than we get. It's a shame.

#5158 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm sure some of you feel that way and that is a shame. What I do is pay for something I've seen and played and expected nothing more than that because I know exactly what it is I'm getting. So no way of me paying for something then being surprised when it's not what I expected. Every single purchase I've made has been exactly what I've expected.

I suggest the people that feel so upset about all this spend time doing other things. It seems this isn't any fun for you.

#5159 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I'm sure some of you feel that way and that is a shame. What I do is pay for something I've seen and played and expected nothing more than that because I know exactly what it is I'm getting. So no way of me paying for something then being surprised when it's not what I expected. Every single purchase I've made has been exactly what I've expected.
I suggest the people that feel so upset about all this spend time doing other things. It seems this isn't any fun for you.

Well Chuck, here's to hoping! Haha!

#5160 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Do you know what being an apologist gets you? A worse product. Stop defending incompetence and start expecting better. It's the only way to make Stern improve.
You don't owe Stern anything. Chill with the white knight stuff and realize that critics just want a better product.
Also, if you've ever launched a product professionally, you would be appalled at how shoddy Stern's releases are handled. They want to talk about how they are the most legit and professional outfit in pinball, but they don't want to act like it. That shouldn't be defended nor excused away.

How should stern make their games better? Add more toys that'll klunk up play and breakdown making less money for operators? Slow down gameplay so we can take naps instead of drink and have fun? What am I missing? IM TRON MET AC/DC TWD GOT are some of the best pins made and can all be had in the $5k range (when they were available NIB - pro version. And $6k prem). Way better than the $8k and 9k pins out there. Plus location pinball has blown up in the last 5 years compared to what was happening 10 years ago. Buy a $9k tank and watch it out of order or buy a $5k quarter sucker with speed beyond belief? And home use - want a heavy tank paper weight where it's tough as nails to fix or lightweight easy maintainable game? Again, what is stern doing wrong again?

#5161 6 years ago

I'm wasted after some shots with @yzfguy. So about Star Wars…

#5162 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nailed it.

#5163 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I'm wasted after some shots with yzfguy. So about Star Wars…

How do you like it now?

#5164 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Nobody is making you buy anything. Stern has a long history of taking time to update game codes. If you aren't patient you should wait till the game is at a level you like. I'm not making excuses for anyone just stating the facts of what has been a track record of Sterns process in game code.

#5165 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Time for another beer for me

#5166 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Loss for words because you are wasted?

Let's hear the wasted review

#5167 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Alien is a completely different layout. It looks much more unique than Star Wars actually (not a fan layout), in my opinion. More flippers, many more shots, and interactive toys. Alien looks to have very smooth geometry, but in a unique layout. I'll likely be passing on Star Wars, but buying Alien.

Alien has the worst lock shot I have ever seen in a pinball design. It has a unique layout but not in a good way. Good luck buying one. When I played it nothing was clear on what to hit. Not an enjoyable experience.

#5168 6 years ago

Obviously some things work and some don't seem to. For example, the superimposed tie fighters and star destroyer seems to be the one thing most disliked. It's the initial reaction that just makes you think 'oh that doesn't look right, maybe it's a bug' or something like that. Even once you understand why it's there, you're still left wishing it wasn't like that. Perhaps these graphical assets can be shown on the mini lcd instead of the big lcd instead? The second biggest complaint appears to be with some of the animations just not looking smooth. I would agree that I'd like to see this improved as well. How beta is the code in regards to graphic design? I hope there's still plans for improving some of these graphical assets. Yes, I certainly want this game to be the best it can be for everyone who buys one!

edit: I don't mean my comments in a negative fashion, just talking about the game in general and what we all think of it so far.

Rob

#5169 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Obviously some things work and some don't seem to. For example, the superimposed tie fighters and star destroyer seems to be the one thing most disliked. It's the initial reaction that just makes you think 'oh that doesn't look right, maybe it's a bug' or something like that. Even once you understand why it's there, you're still left wishing it wasn't like that. Perhaps these graphical assets can be shown on the mini lcd instead of the big lcd instead? The second biggest complaint appears to be with some of the animations just not looking smooth. I would agree that I'd like to see this improved as well. How beta is the code in regards to graphic design? I hope there's still plans for improving some of these graphical assets. Yes, I certainly want this game to be the best it can be for everyone who buys one!
Rob

I think SW will be fine Rob, matter of fact I think it's going to be really really good. Seems like every game that Stern makes, everyone at first complains about it and says it sucks. Only one really that I can think of that didn't get bashed much here recently is maybe AS.

The mediocre reviews that Beezleboob and Colsand gave it does concern me a little bit because I do put some value in their opinions but I also seen with my own eyes what appears to be a very good game. I can't wait to play it and make my own decision on it.

#5170 6 years ago

*review retracted due to extreme stupidity*

#5171 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I am only one drink in on the east coast this Friday night, so slighlty buzzed enough, but still sober enough to say that there are just so many whiney bitches here after catching up on this SW thread. I dont know? Maybe bitch after you played it? If you dont like it OK, but who are you protecting by putting games down? No pinball or pin company is perfect.
A lot of you are really making Pinside suck. It was not always like this and I am not an elder of this group who has been on here forever. It is really getting out of hand.
I am not at all happy stating this but it is true. Sucks.

I'm several beers in and I've said the same thing 1000 times

The little whiny bitch crowd is quite persistent and yes, very F ing annoying once again

Heading in to see Spidey, grab a box of popcorn and chill out

Send me my LE, thanks

#5172 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think SW will be fine Rob, matter of fact I think it's going to be really really good. Seems like every game that Stern makes, everyone at first complais about it and says it sucks. Only one really that I can think of that didn't get bashed much here recently is maybe AS.
The mediocre reviews that Beezleboob and Colsand gave it does concern me a little bit because I so put some value in their opinions but I also seen with my own eyes what appears to be a very good game. I can't wait to play it and make my own decision on it.

I thought AS looked exceptionally polished when it was released and was so tempted to buy one. But, I have held out for SWLE. I think the pro looks really good so far. Some room for improvement yes, but it just takes time. We have yet to see the Premium/Le...

Rob

#5173 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I can tell you that my review is a tempered one. DO NOT be overly concerned because the game is mediocre right now. I really do think the added stuff on the premium and future enhanced code will bring it to a new level. I'm not bailing on my order and I wouldn't recommend anybody else should either.

What did you think of the lighting effects when you played it?

Rob

#5174 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Loss for words because you are wasted?
Let's hear the wasted review

Best fuckin game ever. Home run Stern. Just ordered an LE.

#5175 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

What did you think of the lighting effects when you played it?
Rob

Awesome. One of the highlights (pardon the pun!). Video was great, too...but that button-mashing blow-up-the-tie-fighters thing was ridiculous. I didn't even see it going on until a guy reached over to do it for me. I was too busy playing pinball. Perhaps there's a callout for it that I didn't hear in all the noise, but again, that's why I'm reserving judgment until I play it in a quiet or home setting.

#5176 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I'm wasted after some shots with yzfguy.

Colson just propositioned me in the bathroom.

#5177 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Alien has the worst lock shot I have ever seen in a pinball design.

Why is that? Isn't it similar to Sparky from Metallica?

#5178 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Best fuckin game ever. Home run Stern. Just ordered an LE.

Rofl. Funny ass shit there. its like vegas, you're going to wake up tomorrow morning and be all, 'I did what?'

lol congrats

#5180 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

but that button-mashing blow-up-the-tie-fighters thing was ridiculous.

No callout that I heard during the live stream, but definitely a fast beeping effect from the movie, like during the millennium falcon tie fighter battle.

I think i'd rather see Tie Fighters flying by and blowing up (or not) as you shoot them as opposed to a stack of 15 or so on the screen. Couple that with Tie Fighter roars from the speakers going right to left or vice versa... Just thinking out loud...

Rob

#5181 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

cantina-drinks (resized).jpgcantina-drinks (resized).jpg

#5182 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

edit: I don't mean my comments in a negative fashion, just talking about the game in general and what we all think of it so far.
Rob

I think it becomes difficult with some of these licenses to please the fan base. I had this issue with Star Trek. I knew the game was good but there aspects of it that really annoyed me as a fan. For games where I'm more of a casual fan or somewhat indifferent to the theme, some of the 'rough edges' don't bother me nearly so much or I may not even be aware there is an issue like a fan would.

#5183 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

How should stern make their games better? Add more toys that'll klunk up play and breakdown making less money for operators? Slow down gameplay so we can take naps instead of drink and have fun? What am I missing? IM TRON MET AC/DC TWD GOT are some of the best pins made and can all be had in the $5k range (when they were available NIB - pro version. And $6k prem). Way better than the $8k and 9k pins out there. Plus location pinball has blown up in the last 5 years compared to what was happening 10 years ago. Buy a $9k tank and watch it out of order or buy a $5k quarter sucker with speed beyond belief? And home use - want a heavy tank paper weight where it's tough as nails to fix or lightweight easy maintainable game? Again, what is stern doing wrong again?

How about they at least play test something before they ship it? My GBLE was unplayable upon arrival. Obvious things were wrong due to it not being tested that I spent hours fixing. If a casual buyer had received that game, it would have had to be sent back. Then when I get my replacement playfield, I did it all over again, because that hadn't been tested either. Not shipping causing adjustment needs, actually incorrectly assembled or installed stuff.

You think those Star Wars games that arrived without an SD card and code were play tested? Obviously not. That's the easiest thing in the world to catch. "Hey, this game doesn't boot. Ship it!"

What are they doing wrong? They're cutting every corner possible. We get to beta test their stuff and act as their QC department. That's not how this is supposed to work.

I'm as hopeful as anybody for Star Wars, but I'm sure not ever giving Stern the benefit of the doubt anymore. That used to be a reasonable risk, when you only worried about whether the game would be fun or not. Now there are a whole host of possible issues, and people want to apologize for them. Why? Why not admit that they're issues and expect better? What do any of us gain by defending a game being shipped to a customer in a non-playable state?

I've said that Star Wars looks to be fun, and I expected a warmer batch of initial impressions. But if there are issues, why not call them out? What is gained by swallowing a valid complaint?

#5184 6 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I don't really agree here. This implies that shots on JJP games are exciting.

usandthem
I didn't mean to imply that at all. I literally meant that with JJP you can make a purchase decision (like or dislike) without worrying about the state of software. Do so with a Stern machine at your own peril.

#5185 6 years ago

To be fair, I waited a LONG time to buy a WoZ due to concerns over maintenance. It's not like my skepticism only applies to a single manufacturer. Obviously JJP had to prove their WoZ issues were behind them.

#5186 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Colson just propositioned me in the bathroom.

Word on the street is that boob shot first!

#5187 6 years ago

I think the world of pinball maybe changing and others are just not aboard with the changes. I could really see less "stuff" on the playfield going forward and more attention to the software. It makes sense from a value perspective as a manufacturer could save a ton not having to build one off toys for specific games. While I love toys, I think I am leaning towards a Pro. Can't see two toys worth the few extra thousand hike.

#5188 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Word on the street is that boob shot first!

Plausible.

fembotshot (resized).jpgfembotshot (resized).jpg

#5189 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

How should stern make their games better? Add more toys that'll klunk up play and breakdown making less money for operators? Slow down gameplay so we can take naps instead of drink and have fun?

Well, actually, yeah. More speed and more flow is not more fun for everyone every time. Flow games are popular, but Twilight Zone and Wizard of Oz clearly have fans. Both are slower stop and go games with lots of toys.

#5190 6 years ago

I mean after seeing that cute picture of beelzeboob I figured he was packing some guns under that shirt!

#5191 6 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Well, actually, yeah. More speed and more flow is not more fun for everyone every time. Flow games are popular, but Twilight Zone and Wizard of Oz clearly have fans. Both are slower stop and go games with lots of toys.

I love woz. Owned it for a few months. It's great. But theme and quality issues had me moving on. TZ is a classic but again maintenance issues and been there done that, nothing new to venture there. I understand speed and action isn't for everyone, but it seems to be a hit lately as the rise in pinball continues.

Another thing that's easily forgotten is SW PRO is the first and only pro with RGB GI. Plus RGB inserts, LCD, design, integration, code, etc... just like total annihlation, the magic + BOM is behind the scenes, and it doesn't need complex toys to be fun.

#5192 6 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

My pro arrives tomorrow!

Let us know if it has an SD card!

#5193 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Did you play it today? The wireforms and metal ramp on the premium/le should make it look a bit more populated I think.
More bare looking than GoT pro? I guess the dragon toy on GoT pro at least gives it something extra.
Rob

So yes, I did finally get a chance to play it today. And yes, I think it looks more bare than GOT Pro in person.

Stern has done an interesting thing with this game. They have tried to do more with less. The geometry of the game is tight. Some reverses seem really quick when shot at speed. The inner loop flies back at you. The ramps seem to change the ball direction instantly, but it keeps its speed. It felt very quick and snappy all around. Tighter shots than GOT.

Overall it was fun. And that is the most important measure of a game to me. I'm looking forward to getting a few more games on it tomorrow. It's not a buy for me, but that's because I don't like the SPIKE (or SPIKE2) system enough to buy another game built on it.
But if I find one on location, I'll play the crap out of it.

#5194 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Another thing that's easily forgotten is SW PRO is the first and only pro with RGB GI. Plus RGB inserts, LCD, design, integration, code, etc... just like total annihlation, the magic + BOM is behind the scenes, and it doesn't need complex toys to be fun.

The ball times on TNA seem so short that I'm not sure that equals fun. I've watched several videos and everyone is just getting butt kicked on that game. It seems like a cool, yet frustrating game to play and I don't think I would want to own that.

Rob

#5195 6 years ago

Fuck yeah...tried talking Barry Oursler into shooting a game of SW in my drunken stooper, but he wanted to play BSD instead. Very cool to play with a legend. I whooped him, but almost wanted to let him win just due to who he is. He signed a card...and laughed when I started slurring my words as I was ranting about the cab fade and the owner's use of cool white LEDs in a friggin Dracula.

IMG_1144 (resized).JPGIMG_1144 (resized).JPG
IMG_1145 (resized).JPGIMG_1145 (resized).JPG

#5196 6 years ago

After watching the whole game play video , my guess was confirmed that Steve again delivered a fast and fun to play layout.
On Top, the rules and modes seems to be amazing.
But..

If you strip down the Star Wars related prints and the two plastic toys, theres nothing that make you think you are playing star wars.(except the animations)
The pin could easyliy be rethemed to "Fast and Furios", Speedy Gonzales" or whatever.
It looks like the layout wasnt desiged with Star Wars theme in mind.
Reminds me at the EM machines, where the playfields were mass designed , an then they put a theme on the backglass, which could attracked people most.

Again: Looks like its a lot fun to play, but thats also "No Fear" and if i replace the Skull with the Death Star, thats more Star Wars than this one.

#5197 6 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

If you strip down the Star Wars related prints and the two plastic toys, theres nothing that make you think you are playing star wars.(except the animations)

Sound? Music?

Rob

#5198 6 years ago

I hope its fun to play as no fear.
I loved the video.
As the shape dude says, the music freaks me out. Sw soundtrack is great.
Gandalf/sean connery callouts is missplaced.

I wa really exited about the mini lcd display, BUT i feel its placed odd, 3/4 of the pf doesent get used that much. Upper right side is a dead side. Allmost everything happends on the right side. Wish mini lcd was placed further back. Popbumpers seems like a dead area.

Maby it makes more sense on LE

#5199 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

That's interesting, I didn't notice this.

Sorry I should have included time clips from the video.
It all happens between 1:12:07 and 1:13:15 .
At 1:12:54 , a lone ball does not drain in that far outlane.
In that minute you will see the ball drop in the far left out lane and drain past what appears to be smooth plastic guide, but you will also see some balls not go through. I wonder if there is a hole where the ball can fit yet might also bounce weirdly and not pass through. But there is also a light that turns on & off in that lane. I was thinking the lane may open and close based on the things hit in the game.

Time coded YouTube link.

#5200 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Sorry I should have included time clips from the video.
It all happens between 1:12:07 and 1:13:15 .
At 1:12:54 , a lone ball does not drain in that far outlane.
In that minute you will see the ball drop in the far left out lane and drain past what appears to be smooth plastic guide, but you will also see some balls not go through. I wonder if there is a hole where the ball can fit yet might also bounce weirdly and not pass through. But there is also a light that turns on & off in that lane. I was thinking the lane may open and close based on the things hit in the game.
Time coded YouTube link.
» YouTube video

It looks to me like a multiball knocks it up into the ramp and it just falls back out into the lane guide and over to the flipper...but my eyes aren't super trained.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 21.50
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/104 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.