8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 150.
#5001 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I'm wondering if the hyperdrive loop and jump ramp into the DeathStar on the premium and LE would be comparable to the "physical gimmicks" you are referring to on other games? Personally, many of those gimmicks only serve to slow down the flow of the game and the novelty wears off after seeing them a time or two. Hope this doesn't have the same end result on SW.

Gimmicks help justify these insane prices as well as increase the fun factor in my opinion.

Super fast flow games with little on the playfield can be fun...but myself and many others cannot see spending $5k-$8k+ on them when there's not enough on the playfield to justify the asking price.

The more fun gimmicks the better in my book. Bring on the mini playfields, magnets, moving bash toys, etc. Those are the types of items that help justify a $5k-$8k+ game.

#5002 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Actually, waiting for that dang animation is the ONLY thing on Metallica that I think gets old.

What? That's the best time to get your beer going while sparky prepares to fry.

#5003 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

That's the best time to get your beer going while sparky prepares to fry.

yeah, no time for that when there are tie fighters to be blown up here! Only beer break time, similar to GOT, is selecting your mode/modes.

#5004 5 years ago

curious how Derek got his so fast? usuually they ship the first 10 to operators but seems the first few are going to private colelcitons?

#5005 5 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Hey guys, Watching the video, I noticed the ball drop through to drain on the far left, but then another time it went through the same spot and did not drain... How does StarWars do that? Is there a diverter that is triggered by something?

There is suppose to be a ball save on the right outlane similar to Star Trek.
Per the Stern Matrix for SW

IMG_1682 (resized).PNG

#5006 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious how Derek got his so fast? usuually they ship the first 10 to operators but seems the first few are going to private colelcitons?

When are you getting yours ?

#5007 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

That's software only, like ST Pro left outlane.

#5008 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That's software only, like ST Pro left outlane.

Yes I know. On the premium and LE it is physical diverter. On pro it is software.

#5009 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Actually, waiting for that dang animation is the ONLY thing on Metallica that I think gets old.

That's 'sip of beer' time.

#5010 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

the ball save for outer lane drain is lit after completing a certain number of 'force' drop targets, exactly like GOT...see the GOT trends here yet people?

#5011 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Personally, many of those gimmicks only serve to slow down the flow of the game and the novelty wears off after seeing them a time or two.

Wrong. Thing on TAF never, ever gets old. Everyone who sees him come out of his box lights up with excitement. You did say "many" so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that Thing is not in "many" ....

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Gimmicks help justify these insane prices as well as increase the fun factor in my opinion.

Wrong (ok, well not really as you stated it's your opinion ). The one and only thing that justifies these prices are that people keep buying them, which really sucks as it has quite a ripple effect on the Secondary day market. Seriously, XF is now askin $3k, DM is near $2700, and T3 is around $3k now.

$5400 for a pro with zero interactive toys is so stupid. Yet, the money keeps flowing. Stern killed it with the tier system: take what used to be the base level game and make it the Premium and charge more for it, and then strip it down, call it the Pro and charge the old base level price for it.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Simple. They know people here will order when the reviews hit; they are kick starting sales by selling to private owners first. It is a lot easier to reach more people here than by operator location. I may be way off, but it makes sense.

#5012 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

They know they will get a "best game ever!!!" review to drive a few sales.

#5013 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Simple. They know people here will order when the reviews hit; they are kick starting sales by selling to private owners first. It is a lot easier to reach more people here than by operator location. I may be way off, but it makes sense.

Well some operators are suppose to get theirs first. That's part of the stern army perks.

#5014 5 years ago

Rob (Lermods) and I just played a game, now I can criticize or praise all I want.

IMG_1138 (resized).JPG

#5015 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

When are you getting yours ?

not sure. Hopefully soon!

#5016 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Rob (Lermods) and I just played a game, now I can criticize or praise all I want.

So with that out of the way, what are your praises/criticisms?

#5017 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That's my one complaint about TWD: the toys. The zombie heads (prison and bicycle girl) are way out of proportion and really just sad examples of bash toys. Well walker is ok, but if you've seen the show he's in like one tiny insignificant scene. Why did they pick him for a main toy??? The crossbow is just a pathetic reuse of Austin Powers and it doesn't even look like a crossbow! Other than that, the game is freaking awesome. I personally even like the art.

I like the art on the Pro & LE. I think it's visually a very nice package. But yeah, I just don't like that the Well Walker doesn't really do anything. Would have been nice if he had a coil that struck & flipped him back on the final hit...especially on the Prem/LE since he has the extra guts attached that you never see. Also I don't like that the Prison is a "wall bash toy" and when the door opens, the giant head inside is another wall. Would have been cooler as a ball release (like zombies rushing out of the prison).

#5018 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

He works with Cointaker, helps them setup games for customers. Might be a customer's game?

#5019 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

What's the software version?

#5020 5 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

So with that out of the way, what are your praises/criticisms?

Just played again. Gameplay is fast as hell, but not many shots to make. The ramps are fairly easy to hit. Definitely cool being able to select the modes, and changes it up a little. Rob and I agreed that there should be drop targets and an entry to "something else" under the playfield LCD screen.

Display is the crispest I've ever seen on a game. Other than the movie footage, some of the animations are lacking. Artwork, even in person is just not all that exciting for me as a SW fan. At this point, realistically, I give it a 6.5 to 7/10 at best.

IMG_1141 (resized).JPG

#5021 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What's the software version?

They wouldn't let anybody look in the back box or toggle through menus but the word up here is .8

#5022 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

They wouldn't let anybody look in the back box or toggle through menus but the word up here is .8

The fact that they're still trying to keep the software version secret when they're shipping machines has strong Batman'66 vibes. Inexcusable given that they supposedly had a much longer lead up on the title. I was hyped for this title, but it can wait. I'm not going to keep rewarding Stern for bad behavior. There's plenty in their back catalog that's actually finished with a more robust playfield feature set, not to mention pins from other manufacturers now. Bums me out Stern supposedly got Princess Bride if this is the treatment they give Star Wars, there's no hope for PB.

#5023 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But the deal killer really is the layout. It's boring. We've seen it too many times. I'm not paying thousands of dollars for it, doesn't matter how good the code is. I can buy video games for code. I buy pins for the physical experience, and this one is dull.

Welcome to the new Stern... ho hum...

http://gamertheory.com/2017/06/stern-pinball-believes-differentiation-happens-code-level-not-design/

#5025 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

At this point, realistically, I give it a 6.5 to 7/10 at best.

What score did you give GOT pro when you first played it?

#5026 5 years ago

Never thought I would do this, but just cancelled my Le order. I'll wait through the fall to see if it turns out better and possibly get a premium. I just can't get past the price and lack of a WOW factor for me personally. This is my all time theme, and the "must have" just never resinated for me. At the Le price, there are a lot of other options out there. If I'm spending$8-9k on a machine, I want a great looking pin with lots of cool features, toys, and rules. I'm not seeing that yet on SW. Time will tell if it's great, and believe me, I'm hoping it turns out great. Now at least, I can patiently sit back and wait.

#5027 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Just played again. Gameplay is fast as hell, but not many shots to make. The ramps are fairly easy to hit. Definitely cool being able to select the modes, and changes it up a little. Rob and I agreed that there should be drop targets and an entry to "something else" under the playfield LCD screen.
Display is the crispest I've ever seen on a game. Other than the movie footage, some of the animations are lacking. Artwork, even in person is just not all that exciting for me as a SW fan. At this point, realistically, I give it a 6.5 to 7/10 at best.

6.5/10. OUCH!!

#5028 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Power cycle, and it tells you the version at the end of bootup. Anyone up to "accidentally" trip over the cord?

#5029 5 years ago

There are a lot of good points in that article. While only so many layouts and shots are possible in a finite amount of space Stern could at least attempt to implement more interactive features more often when they choose to use a traditional 2 ramp layout.

I know some people dislike Ghostbusters for its non traditional playfield design but I think that is one of the best things about the game. GB in my opinion feels like Sterns most refreshing, loaded and unique game in years.

#5030 5 years ago

My prediction is that the Pro is going to end up being the model everyone wants much like it is on GOT. I think the hyperloop will be more of a nuisance than anything (similar to NASCAR) and the plastic ramps will flow better and smoother than the metal ramps on the Pre/LE.

I think the game looks great and I'm considering a Pro. The biggest thing holding me back is that I just bought an ACDC and I'm not sure if I want half of my Stern games to have basically the same layout? I kinda want to wait and see what Keith's game is like too. If it is anything like his Archer layout it could be amazing, especially on the chance that it could also feature Lyman on rules!

#5031 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I know some people dislike Ghostbusters for its non traditional playfield design but I think that is one of the best things about the game. GB in my opinion feels like Sterns most refreshing, loaded and unique game in years.

Ghostbusters needs some software work, but the playfield design is a breath of fresh air (sans the ridiculous flipper gap). Trudeau doesn't always hit, but you have to give it to him - he's ALWAYS trying something new. Props to him.

#5032 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

(he had a Gorgar in the garage)...the guy mentioned playing some new games on location - he brought up Ghostbusters and instantly started talking about how shitty it was...it was just drain drain drain and he couldn't understand how a new game played like that.

How did a new game play like that? How did Pinbot and Shuttle play like that nearly 30 years ago... as far as I can tell, GB is the ONLY game you consistently trash for physical design, but it's far from the first, or the last game that kills you for missing shots. The shots themselves aren't THAT hard, but they ARE very unforgiving when you do miss...

I feel like you were in a good position as a skilled player to correct the poor opinion that new games shouldn't be hard. If he owns a Gorgar, and *doesn't* get a lot of drains? That's a Gorgar that plays like crap, in MY opinion! That game is super tough when it's waxed and you can't move it 5 feet to either side. Sounds like the guy is just complaining because it's beyond his skill level, he's used to playing a flat, boring Gorgar, and refusing to learn new skills...like many many 'casual' players that I have seen post here and show up for league/tournaments only to never come back after the first week because they want to compete with 'pros' and feel like they have a shot at prizes and money....but not put in the time and effort to develop their skills and knowledge. Who the crap wants to walk up to a brand new game, and just pwn the thing the first two or three games into it, leaving nothing to aim for, nothing to improve on? Boring!

Not every pin needs to, or should be, built to suit causal players. Trudeau is as notorious as Oursler (and I do understand it's NOT the domain of the casual player to know who the heck designed a game and what their M.O. is!) when it comes to building layouts that will hand your butt to you if you just carelessly flail around. If you shoot the GHOST target from the left flipper...you deserve to drain, IMO. If you develop the skills to livecatch and can start with a skillshot, you really shouldn't ever need to touch that thing anyways. I'd say maybe 1-in-5 games I deliberately shoot it, mostly because I beefed my soft plunge. There's more to modern pinball than "FULL POWAH PUNCH-PLUNGE WITH THE PALM OF MY HAND AND MONKEY FLIP TILL I DIE" and people hopping in need to understand these games are NOT being aimed at EM/80's casual fans....they're for the kids with the ridiculous reflexes and coordination. I'm sure many old EM guys felt that the newfangled solid state games were/are utter garbage when they started showing up for the same reasons. If the opinion on GB is so split right down the middle (aside from Slimer which has never had the fix applied to it AFAIK), then it's not a case of the game just *sucking*, it's just your preference. That's perfectly okay, but to claim the game sucks? Give me a break. I won't even say that Aerosmith *sucks* or that TWD *sucks*, and I hate both of those games. They both have one or two little things that irritate the crap out of me. Aerosmith, GB, TWD.....none of these games are Avengers.

Your complaint about linear modes? You are certainly free to make the choice to not play them in a linear fashion if you wish to kneecap your own ability to score points. The option is there. Following the right loop ladder isn't the only path to success on GB for anything but the extreme top end of play. It's hard to pull off. Left ramp modes are much safer IMO, but again...scoring is lower to compensate for that, and the fact it's only 3 modes instead of four. No causal player is going to give two farts that the extreme end of play is linear, because all they're doing is flipping around, not intentionally shooting the same sequence of shots over and over. To make an analogy out of it...competitive play (I include things like going for high scores in an arcade as "competitive") of pinball is like speedruns for console and PC games. There are highly optimized paths to take to achieve specific goals, and just like speedrunners, pinball players are going to seek those out and go for them if they give *any* kind of competitive edge. You can't have a risk/reward structrue that is 100% balanced in a game like pinball. There's too many variables.

If you don't like the theme...fine...whatever, nothing can be done about that, but there's nothing wrong with the shots on GB *pro*. The premium right side ramp? I 100% will agree that thing is a POS, and the magnaslings were always going to be love/hate. I'll even give you the Scoleri Bros. and Slimer on all models **if** they haven't been fixed....our pro on location is STILL bricking balls and causing airballs over the lane guides, which we can all agree is crap. It definitely hasn't gotten better with age as many suggested it would. I'm super glad to not see mid-playfield drop targets on Star Wars LOL. Both of the issues that give players the most grief with this game are *fixable*... slimer and scoleri. Should Stern be chastised for not having a more reliable design out of the gate? Absolutely. Does two easy, but needed, fixes turn a game into a crap game? Not in my opinion...clearly yours is different.

Just complaining that the game drains too much? Pfft. Please. THEY ARE DESIGNED TO DRAIN YOUR BALL. THAT'S HOW THEY MAKE MONEY. Don't like it? Then don't play the game, plain and simple, and operator profit margins will speak for themselves in most cases. Or take it home and adjust it to your liking if it's a theme you JUST HAVE TO HAVE. But don't say that it's a crap game just because you couldn't make the shots and were punished for it. I've seen plenty of 'casual' players rock a GB, and I've seen plenty of 'pros' eat dirt on it. The game is pretty well balanced in that regard.

I've watched about 45 minutes of the Star Wars video...certainly isn't looking like a "casual friendly" game. Lots of punished flails to the outlanes and STDM, plus super complicated rules that DEMAND your attention on the fly to reach those big scores = this game is going to piss off a lot of newbs. Even the shot coming around that inner loop had some STDMs that I saw, and that's on an INTENDED SHOT. =|

/soapbox

#5033 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ghostbusters needs some software work, but the playfield design is a breath of fresh air (sans the ridiculous flipper gap). Trudeau doesn't always hit, but you have to give it to him - he's ALWAYS trying something new. Props to him.

I agree. I like variety in my collection and a game like GB would provide that. It's also packed with toys and the magna slings are innovative whether you like them or not. GB definitely has it's faults, but it's nice to see a different style layout.

#5034 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

My prediction is that the Pro is going to end up being the model everyone wants much like it is on GOT. I think the hyperloop will be more of a nuisance than anything (similar to NASCAR) and the plastic ramps will flow better and smoother than the metal ramps

I think the pro is bare of interactive toys and im not willing to pay an extra 2k(in my case) to get the loop which makes me pass on this game all together. Im sure im not the only one. So sterns loses on both counts . i looked the gameplay feed and got bored of looking at it after 20 minutes. Hit the button, make the death star loop, pick a mode...rinse repeat.

Go figure i like TF more than this thing. Perhaps because i can bash bumblebee, i can shoot the funky left ramp, i can hit Optimus with the lift ramp, and megatron spews out balls for multiball. Or you choose SW and get a big christmas ornament in the top corner, a $3 piece of plastic on a spring and a lcd that gives out instructions 85% of the time.

#5035 5 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

What score did you give GOT pro when you first played it?

#5036 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Power cycle, and it tells you the version at the end of bootup. Anyone up to "accidentally" trip over the cord?

It's beta. It was said my the stern team and posted my the stern team multiple times. .6-.8 most likely.

Looks like some pretty fun beta code to me. Looking forward to playing all the code revisions.

#5037 5 years ago

Furthermore (sorry I do have one last thing to say), that "Trudeau flipper gap"...why does everyone bitch about this, yet people LOVE Doctor Who and BSD, and lightning flippers on tournament games. It's the same bloody thing accomplished two slightly different ways, but one get shat on and the other is "just how it was intended".

#5038 5 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I think the pro is bare of interactive toys and im not willing to pay an extra 2k(in my case) to get the loop which makes me pass on this game all together. Im sure im not the only one. So sterns loses on both counts . i looked the gameplay feed and got biard of looking at it after 20 minutes. Hit the button, make the death star loop, pick a mode...rinse repeat.

Interactive toys can be overrated. Look at a game like AFM. How many toys does it have that directly affect gameplay? There's no magnets to speak of. It's just a 3 bank target and some lights and bouncy aliens and bouncing saucer. I think SW looks fast and fun and there are plenty of games with interactive toys that I would prefer it to.

#5039 5 years ago

GB has great playfield geometry, but it's hamstrung by its flimsiness.

#5040 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Working on it

#5041 5 years ago

nobody has mentioned the TWD comparisons for the 'force' drop targets yet? somebody in the stream mentioned there are 5 levels of completing the drop targets, which then fully lights the 'f', then, 'o', then 'r', then 'c', then 'e'. I think the 'e' is the last and highest level, some sort of mb mode or mini wizard mode.

so TWD fans, maybe this will prove to add gameplay and strategy to SW......

#5042 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

nobody has mentioned the TWD comparisons for the 'force' drop targets yet? somebody in the stream mentioned there are 5 levels of completing the drop targets, which then fully lights the 'f', then, 'o', then 'r', then 'c', then 'e'. I think the 'e' is the last and highest level, some sort of mb mode or mini wizard mode.
so TWD fans, maybe this will prove to add gameplay and stragety to SW......

Completing the drops five times gets your multiplier doubled.

#5043 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Completing the drops five times gets your multiplier doubled

so what are the other tiers? number one lites the outer lane saves? then what, i forget what was mentioned. I thought each 5 drop target completion awarded something different.

#5044 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It's beta. It was said my the stern team and posted my the stern team multiple times. .6-.8 most likely.
Looks like some pretty fun beta code to me. Looking forward to playing all the code revisions.

The excuse with Batman'66 shipping with 0.57 was that it was a last-minute thing and they only had a few months to pull it together. No such timeline for Star Wars, which supposedly had a long lead. So there's no excuse for shipping with beta code on Star Wars, except that Stern is pushing out so much stuff they can't get games even out of beta before they ship. That's wrong behavior and should not be rewarded.

#5045 5 years ago

Just rebooted the game.

#5046 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Just rebooted the game.

Excellent work, thanks!

#5047 5 years ago

I dont mind the lack of toys. But i do think the Animations are Weak, If you watch the hobbit backbox layout. the transitions are super slick. Scores are always posted and you know what mode your playing. Even if you watch the text as they unlock the transitions are like butter. JJ also have taken the time to integrate the videos ex. Smug multiball. The whole backbox plays a clip from the movie but watch the end and how the text is integrated with the fire.

Its little touches like this really make the experience whole. Right now its a bunch of video clips floating over top of a X-wing cockpit. And you have a Star destroyer floating in the middle of Hoth. Its a hot mess.

Also Checkout Dialedin Cell phone screen and what there displaying, SW hud just shows 3 tie fighters and a counter.

Still want to play it. lol ITS starwars! hopefully theres more code

#5048 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Furthermore (sorry I do have one last thing to say), that "Trudeau flipper gap"...why does everyone bitch about this, yet people LOVE Doctor Who and BSD, and lightning flippers on tournament games. It's the same bloody thing accomplished two slightly different ways, but one get shat on and the other is "just how it was intended".

-Those games don't have tons of linear modes to get through. The goals are simple, addictive, fun. BSD & Dr. Who's content & design work in tandem.

-They also have totally different geometry, and that geometry works just fine with those flipper gaps.

-Dr. Who and BSD's "gaps" are due to lightning flippers. Don't like it? Put regular flippers on it. GB should have been designed with regular flippers, and if people thought it was too easy, change to lightning.

-GB's gap is wider than any lightning gap or previous Trudeau gap. Trusted sources have told me it was a MISTAKE but too late to change.

-Dr. Who and BSD don't have constant airball-death, pop drips STDM, or cheap outlane hop deaths.

GB's problem is that it's CHEAP. Not that it's hard.

Quoted from Frax:

How did a new game play like that? How did Pinbot and Shuttle play like that nearly 30 years ago... as far as I can tell, GB is the ONLY game you consistently trash for physical design, but it's far from the first, or the last game that kills you for missing shots. The shots themselves aren't THAT hard, but they ARE very unforgiving when you do miss...

LOL, bro, don't compare ANY modern game to old games. Totally different in every possible way....especially rules and content. Simple games with simple rules WORK WELL with short ball time drainy playouts. GB's problem isn't that it kills you for missing shots, it kills you for HITTING SHOTS with gaddamn airballs. It kills you when the ball comes out of the pops and goes STDM. It kills you when the ball's coming back on the right orbit & ricochets, sending its path STDM. It kills you when the scoop shoots it STDM (if the op hasn't fixed it).

I can't believe people are still going to bat for this horrible, hobby-killing, fun-sucking garbage dumpster of a vomit box. It's fascinating how tastes in this hobby have changed over the past few years. A game of this terribleness would have never been accepted just a few years back. Theme and art can blind. They almost got me...but I saw the real horrors within!!!!

#5049 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The excuse with Batman'66 shipping with 0.57 was that it was a last-minute thing and they only had a few months to pull it together. No such timeline for Star Wars, which supposedly had a long lead. So there's no excuse for shipping with beta code on Star Wars, except that Stern is pushing out so much stuff they can't get games even out of beta before they ship. That's wrong behavior and should not be rewarded.

I don't see it as rewarding them for wrong behavior. I don't care what the code revision is. All I know is I can't wait to play it based off what I've seen. If people play before they buy, no disappointment is possible. Do your research and decide if the game is for you after playing it.

#5050 5 years ago

Yeah GB really sucks in a home environment. So glad my LE is gone. Not missing it at all. But back to SW here. I am teetering again with the unfinished code and talk of "oh Stern will have to fix it". NO THEY DONT! They are not fixing GB and they make no comment about fixing anything.

At this point and at these prices I don't need finished code to buy but shouldn't we at least be given an idea and guarantee as to what will be finished in the code and approximately when? If there was any communication from Stern it would be beneficial but there is nothing again... just like GB...

I am really teetering on my LE here. I am starting to feel like a real sucker. My GBLE was a joke and my stomach is telling me the same about SWLE....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!