8C27DD6D-A823-4FFA-B44C-E63B6047D984 (resized).jpeg
970B6D1A-3A9B-40D1-A2EF-7F253E53A3F2 (resized).jpeg
SW-GC (resized).jpg
SW-fork (resized).jpg
IMG_5800 (resized).PNG
IMG_5799 (resized).PNG
IMG_5798 (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 100 of 150.
#4951 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Stern already has the infrastructure in place which negates any establishment startup costs. There are going to be very few startup companies able to undercut an established company which holds 95% of the market share and an effective monopoly on all the traditional supplier/distribution channels.

Quoted from pinsanity:

As long as Stern keeps throwing out the cheap grade birdseed and preaching to the aviary that this is the A grade product there will always be a percentage of parrots all too eager to keep squawking for more at ever increasing prices and ever diminishing quality standards.

I don't believe that is what is happening here. I see the market leader responding to very real market threats.

At least one new pinball company has shown you can produce very high quality pinball machines that sell for much more than Sterns. Stern went from sole producer to having five competitors who have fielded working prototypes.

JJP and American are mounting challenges that could take real market share from Stern. I've played Dialed In and Houdini, and though I'm probably buying SW I'm buying Houdini too. I'm seriously considering Dialed In.

If Dutch comes through with TBL, they could take more market share. If Heighway delivers on Alien, that's possibly more market share. Multimorphic is a dark horse that could also take market share.

Being the established leader carries different risks. What Stern has that a newcomer does not is a big staff and the salaries that come along with it and the support costs for all their back catalog. They /must/ sell units in volume to stay alive.

Stern is in a tough place. They must sell to a broader market that demands a lower price point, but they also have to offer similar features lest they seem un-innovative and risk letting a startup take market share. Their response has been on multiple levels, and I'm impressed by it. They have demonstrated they can sell at the ~$5k mark through production optimization and owning the entire supply chain while also offering higher end product to take money from JJP.

Recent titles like Aerosmith, SW and even BM66 look to me like Stern is awake and responsive to the competition. I'm seeing their big LCDs get better. SW looks to have some innovations in gameplay, and from the video it looks pretty good, maybe even fantastic.

Quoted from pinsanity:

They have no clear succession plan in place, their upper management are all past retirement age and their manufacturing philosophy is controlled by a third party entity with ROI as their primary objective.

I have been thinking about this lately, and I see the succession plan issue as a real risk for them.

However it's not clear to me yet that the investors were a bad idea. Without sarcasm, it's possible that pins were overbuilt and the cost savings they've been able to gain won't matter in the long run. It's possible that moving to surface mount motherboards won't matter to operators and collectors. Pulling playfield work in house seems to be working for them despite a rocky ride there for a while. I can't think of other ways they have cut costs, but insert those here.

And while Aerosmith, AC/DC, GOT and GB are not interesting to me, I can't deny they sold a lot of units with many enthusiasts and super, super high ratings here.

Quoted from pinsanity:

Of course milking the market for as much as they can and riding the wave while it lasts is the primary mission.

I don't understand this line of reasoning. I'm pretty sure that's the mission of every company. If you have something that sells, sell a hell of a lot more of it. Repeat until sales drop, keeping a close eye on competitors, introduce innovations strategically.

Or perhaps your implication is that Stern isn't innovating? If they were still putting out monochrome DMD machines without sophisticated LED lightshows and not innovating gameplay, I'd be much more worried for them. But they don't feel like Gottlieb in the 80s/90s to me.

I find these times very exciting for pinball.

#4952 6 years ago

The risk is in the fact that you have to control your ball, move your shot multiplier and continue.

You cannot wait too long or you time out your multiplier (it times out faster on higher multipliers apperently). Also to keep the multiplier from timing out you have to hit the 3 bank target, and that is a risky (uncontrolled) shot.

So the choice between progressing and making shots and in the meantime keeping your multiplier alive is risk/award. Granted in multiball you have more room for this.

Also the add-a ball trough hold the lockdown bar button in a few seconds (after completing FORCE drops) and not just a single hit is a nice touch.

#4953 6 years ago

Is Stern just using stock public domain NASA pictures for filler backgrounds and just adding color filters?

Fan debate aside, pretty sure the Andromeda galaxy isn't officially in the first three Star Wars movies...

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/650137main_pia15416b-43_full.jpg

#4954 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Speaking of that can you change the audio out on Spike games? Actually I don't care, can you change the videa clips?
I know i must be the 100th person to think of replacing everything witch Family Guy Star Wars clips right?

Is spike 2 a real computer? If so, does anyone know what's in it?
CPU/GPU/RAM/Storage type&size/Operating system (some linux I guess?).
If the answer to the 1st question is yes, then there's no reason you can not change any of the assets (video clip and sound).

#4955 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is Stern just using stock public domain NASA pictures for filler backgrounds and just adding color filters?
» YouTube video
Fan debate aside, pretty sure the Andromeda galaxy isn't officially in the first three Star Wars movies...
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/650137main_pia15416b-43_full.jpg

Yes, it has already been mentioned when firsts pics were revealed. As I already said, everything that doesnt come straight from the movies on the screen is really poorly done...so far.

#4956 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Just because I have an LE on order doesn't mean I can't question the way some things are constructed in the rules. I think it's a fair question to ask about the playfield X and how often a player will be wanting/needing to switch it around.
edit: You get 3 inserts locked out of 7. I don't know if it's always 3 or if you can have more/less. 3/7 lets you cover almost half of the shots so maybe it's something that you can leave locked in place for the most part unless you absolutely want to move it.
Edit: sometimes it's less, like 1 locked. I think it might be combos that builds these up?
Rob

From Keith on TiltForums: "Use flippers to move a span of 3 shot multipliers, button to lock it in. As the shot multiplier increases fewer shots light. <5x = 3 shots lit. <10x= 2 shots lit. >10x only one shot lit. Playing as r2d2 the threshold is higher (7x,14x)"

#4957 6 years ago

Now i have seen the video, best Stern ever.
This is a new level of pinball seen by Stern.
And this is a pro!!!!!!!!!!!.

#4958 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

serious (resized).jpgserious (resized).jpg

#4959 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

That has been fixed already.

Right you are Ken.

#4960 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Taking a shot with little risk because you move a giant multplier over it is just gaming the math... there's no risk and I don't necessarily find it all that rewarding. It is still challenging as you need to be cognizant of where you place your mutillier to maximize your shot.

You seem to know how the multipliers work on this game. Care to explain them in depth? From what I've seen there are multiple risky shots that are involved in increasing them and it's required you take your hand off the game to move them. That seems risky too.

#4961 6 years ago

Serious.

#4962 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I thought it was full of interesting ideas, and I suspect lots of people will have a lot of fun with it.
I just don't see myself as one of them.
As a big Star Wars fan it didn't click with me, the magic of the theme wasn't there. That's just a personal thing. This looks better for people who aren't actually giant fans and won't care about nitpicky shit that doesn't feel right, or who don't use ridiculous words like "magic" when thinking about the game.
The LCD style and animations reminded me of a slot machine, just a mash of different things from the movies popping up all over. For me that's not a good thing, but I bet it works great on location with casual players who see all the shit flying around. I'd route this for sure if I was an op, it will earn.
If I could sum it up I'd say that I'd prefer a game that was more story immersive, more focused, and they had a different vision for this that's more stack-heavy, more chaotic, more tons of things going on. Just a personal preference. It's probably because I love the idea of the theme so much, like I said, if you're not pre-biased you might not care.
Still curious to play it and experience it in person!
But the deal killer really is the layout. It's boring. We've seen it too many times. I'm not paying thousands of dollars for it, doesn't matter how good the code is. I can buy video games for code. I buy pins for the physical experience, and this one is dull. Ritchie played it safe, did what he's done a ton of times already; it will flow and be fast, and it's not even vaguely interesting. No crazy shots, nothing that interacts with the ball, just straight up fan layout. If you've owned a modern Ritchie you've played it already. I have ACDC, I had Star Trek, no need to rebuy something so similar. (Not the same! But close enough to feel like it.)
No video was going to change that, probably why after a bit I got bored and closed the stream. I was just watching the LCD screen, the actual ball play wasn't compelling.

If this is boring to you then i can't see why you like Alien .
As a pinball player i like it and as a Starwars fan i like it even more.
No we see 2 people with the same intrest but different feels about it.

#4963 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

You're not serious. New level of Stern? You really need to play TSPP, MET, TWD, LOTR, SM, and ST. You'll find those to be high water marks, not this.

#4964 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Don't get me wrong, I love stacking...but I don't like the choice to "pass"....just something inherently unsatisfying about it.

i like this coz is about risk..to score more or loosing all...like on GOT or AS (when you get the choice to the number of ball in MB)..

#4965 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I like a slower, more methodical form of gameplay. The only Steve Ritchie game I really love is Flash Gordon (edit: oops! ST:TNG, then), the new ones feel like hyperactive video games, or like those Japanese rhythm arcade games, just things flying at you while lights flash. Jpop's pins are shallow (and the guy himself is a turd), but they balance theatricality and flow way better than Ritchie's pins. Modern Stern pins in general have never felt thematically cohesive to me. I like the focus on points in EMs and SS pins - Stars, for example - because they're difficult and simple, but I crave the actual wholesale packaging of pins like TZ and WH20, which aren't "deep" like GOT but have a presentation that feels lovingly crafted and generally together.
I've said it a few times but playing GOT feels like I'm playing with a fancy calculator while someone's watching a TV show. There's no soul. Obviously, that's a really specific thing to "feel" in a pin, but as a total package, GOT feels flimsy and obsessively mathematical. The game as a concept doesn't come together, so it's harder to lose myself in it. What happens in GOT? What's going on when Arya Stark is marking names off her list? Nothing! It's terrible, uninvolving gameplay and the only point is to get points. That's terrible. That's a terrible way to design a game. I need something to play for besides numbers. Pinball machines have a great capacity to be wholly theatrical experiences and it's frustrating to see it being wasted repeatedly.
What I love about Pat Lawlor, besides the methodical gameplay (stop-and-go, the antithesis to "flow" pins) and unique playfield geometry, is the sense of emotion that ties the pin together. There's the inevitable coup de theatre that defines the game, like Rudy's head or the cracking state line on Earthshaker, but there's also the sense of irony, whimsy, and menace. The pin isn't just a thing that adds up numbers based on when you push a button, there's an intent behind the gameplay that becomes apparent as you play. Rudy turning on you is one of the most astonishing moments in pinball, because it demonstrates that the game itself has an opinion about the player, and that's a key element that's not present in a lot of Stern's modern pins.
This is part of why I like Wheel of Fortune - even if it is silly and nonsensical, it feels like it's interactive. You could call it "character". Road Show is packed with character, where every mode leads up to a gag. Candy 2000 in Safecracker is in all parts of the game and she gives it a palpable sense of menace. Even the overlap of themes in Earthshaker - studly 50s cruiser meets cataclysmic faultline failure - generates a sense of ironic tension and fun. It's that extra step that creates a hook for the player that takes the game beyond being a series of switches, buttons, and points and becomes an experience. That's what's missing, and it's that absence that I hate.

all this comment is about orange and apple.
There is 2 ways to concept a game imo, one is to use the 2 main flippers and the other with more than 2 flippers. as soon as you use 3 flippers you can add more variety shots and horizontality to your game. in each concept, you can modulate the flow of course but basically a pin with 2 flippers gets more flow than 3 or more.
Don't forget the gameplay is a major factor in the way of how a pin plays, whatever the concept. i have a MB and a TWD and they play way different.

#4966 6 years ago

Multipliers explained:

- A multiplied shot is marked with a lit green arrow X insert.

- At ball start, you can choose a group of 3 lit multiplied shots, these multiply the shot value with the multiplier count in the center top of the display (which is default at 2x)
- you can change this group of 3 shots by pushing the lockdownbar button, then moving it using the flippers (X arrows are orange) and locking it by pushing the lockdownbar button again (X arrows are green again). And you can do this even during ball in play, multiball, etc...

The multiplied shots are lit but the higher your current multiplier count is, only 2 or even 1 of the 3 chosen shots is lit.
I quote TomGWI: (<5x = 3 shots lit. <10x= 2 shots lit. >10x only one shot lit. Playing as r2d2 the threshold is higher (7x,14x)

So the multiplier counter starts at 2x. Every time you hit the 3 bank targets, it increases by 1x. Up till a max of 20x.
There is a timer that makes it timeout. You can see this because of your multiplied inserts start strobing, a sound fx (tumb tumb tumb..) and the display flashing your multiplier count red. The higher your multiplier, the faster it will time out.
To reset the multiplier timer, you need to shoot the 3bank targets again. This way you can keep it alive and try to rise it to the max possible multiplier (20x).

You can also double your multiplied shots for the rest of the ball by completing all the FORCE drop targets the fourth time (so the forCe insert). This doubles your multiplier. So if you have 5x running, it becomes 10x. But instead of a max of 20x you can now go to 40x.
If if resets it goes back to 4x (double 2x). A hit to the 3bank targets increases it by 2x (4x, 6x, 8x, 10x, ...)

So, changing your shot (lockdownbar button) depending on what mode or hurry up or jackpot is lit, shooting the 3 bank, shooting the force targets is important. Force drop targets and 3target bank is not without risk. And moving your shot using the lockdownbarbutton is that too. So risk vs award!

#4967 6 years ago

Hey guys, Watching the video, I noticed the ball drop through to drain on the far left, but then another time it went through the same spot and did not drain... How does StarWars do that? Is there a diverter that is triggered by something?

#4968 6 years ago

The only thing saving this great theme is the new LCD and interaction with that. More like a video game than actual pinball interaction. The loops will make it fast as shit, I was expecting much more. O well, I don't need to own it as there will be many on location that I can play.

#4969 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

» YouTube video

In a galaxy far far away......

Playfield may be sparse by the rules look great. Great interaction on LCD. I want one.

#4970 6 years ago

Open playfield means more room for models and figurines everywhere.

#4971 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Multipliers explained:
- A multiplied shot is marked with a lit green arrow X insert.
- At ball start, you can choose a group of 3 lit multiplied shots, these multiply the shot value with the multiplier count in the center top of the display (which is default at 2x)
- you can change this group of 3 shots by pushing the lockdownbar button, then moving it using the flippers (X arrows are orange) and locking it by pushing the lockdownbar button again (X arrows are green again). And you can do this even during ball in play, multiball, etc...
The multiplied shots are lit but the higher your current multiplier count is, only 2 or even 1 of the 3 chosen shots is lit.
I quote TomGWI: (<5x = 3 shots lit. <10x= 2 shots lit. >10x only one shot lit. Playing as r2d2 the threshold is higher (7x,14x)
So the multiplier counter starts at 2x. Every time you hit the 3 bank targets, it increases by 1x. Up till a max of 20x.
There is a timer that makes it timeout. You can see this because of your multiplied inserts start strobing, a sound fx (tumb tumb tumb..) and the display flashing your multiplier count red. The higher your multiplier, the faster it will time out.
To reset the multiplier timer, you need to shoot the 3bank targets again. This way you can keep it alive and try to rise it to the max possible multiplier (20x).
You can also double your multiplied shots for the rest of the ball by completing all the FORCE drop targets the fourth time (so the forCe insert). This doubles your multiplier. So if you have 5x running, it becomes 10x. But instead of a max of 20x you can now go to 40x.
If if resets it goes back to 4x (double 2x). A hit to the 3bank targets increases it by 2x (4x, 6x, 8x, 10x, ...)
So, changing your shot (lockdownbar button) depending on what mode or hurry up or jackpot is lit, shooting the 3 bank, shooting the force targets is important. Force drop targets and 3target bank is not without risk. And moving your shot using the lockdownbarbutton is that too. So risk vs award!

Well said.

But the 3 bank shot, drops, and using action mid play are the safest things to do in this pin, where's the risk, game looks too easy - even that one dude with the beard killed it

#4972 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

i like this coz is about risk..to score more or loosing all...like on GOT or AS (when you get the choice to the number of ball in MB)..

I dislike this approach on those games too. I'm not sure how to explain it - there's just something unsatisfying about making a shot and then pausing to choose a non-event. I prefer the stacking risks like AC/DC - I know I can hit the ramp to start a Multiball - but I can wait, and hit the targets or orbits to qualify the other multiballs - then hit the ramp to start 2 or 3 at once. In AC/DC you "chose to pass" by continuing to play differently. Then when you hit the MB ramp - BOOM the MB sequence starts instantly as a reaction to your shot - very satisfying. Compared to Aerosmith - if you want to start the MB, you have to wait for a countdown first. I guess I just like an instant response to a shot vs. a choice menu.

#4973 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I dislike this approach on those games too. I'm not sure how to explain it - there's nmjust something unsatisfying about making a shot and then pausing to choose a non-event. I prefer the stacking risks like AC/DC - I know I can hit the ramp to start a Multiball - but I can wait, and hit the targets or loops to qualify the other multiballs - then hit the ramp to start 2 or 3 at once. In AC/DC you "chose to pass" by continuing to play differently. Then when you hit the MB ramp - BOOM the MB sequence starts instantly as a reaction to your shot - very satisfying. Compared to Aerosmith - if you want to start the MB, you have to wait for a countdown first. I guess I just like an instant response to a shot vs. a choice menu.

You need a TWD

#4974 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Hey guys, Watching the video, I noticed the ball drop through to drain on the far left, but then another time it went through the same spot and did not drain... How does StarWars do that? Is there a diverter that is triggered by something?

That's interesting, I didn't notice this.

#4975 6 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Looking at the photo musketd posted, I don't see any type of mechanism to control something like that unless, its just a gate ala WMS Indy. I didn't notice it in the video but also wasn't watching the outlanes much.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4976 6 years ago

watching the video wondering how many modes there are? looks like 4X Characters but each character has 5 + modes highlighting on the planets? Are those modes different depending on the character?
example

Is
Luke +Deathstar 1 different then Han + Deathstar 1? assuming there both lit?

Or is all the plants and and wizards modes are the same. the Character just sets the path?

#4977 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I thought it was full of interesting ideas, and I suspect lots of people will have a lot of fun with it.
I just don't see myself as one of them.
As a big Star Wars fan it didn't click with me, the magic of the theme wasn't there. That's just a personal thing. This looks better for people who aren't actually giant fans and won't care about nitpicky shit that doesn't feel right, or who don't use ridiculous words like "magic" when thinking about the game.
The LCD style and animations reminded me of a slot machine, just a mash of different things from the movies popping up all over. For me that's not a good thing, but I bet it works great on location with casual players who see all the shit flying around. I'd route this for sure if I was an op, it will earn.
If I could sum it up I'd say that I'd prefer a game that was more story immersive, more focused, and they had a different vision for this that's more stack-heavy, more chaotic, more tons of things going on. Just a personal preference. It's probably because I love the idea of the theme so much, like I said, if you're not pre-biased you might not care.
Still curious to play it and experience it in person!
But the deal killer really is the layout. It's boring. We've seen it too many times. I'm not paying thousands of dollars for it, doesn't matter how good the code is. I can buy video games for code. I buy pins for the physical experience, and this one is dull. Ritchie played it safe, did what he's done a ton of times already; it will flow and be fast, and it's not even vaguely interesting. No crazy shots, nothing that interacts with the ball, just straight up fan layout. If you've owned a modern Ritchie you've played it already. I have ACDC, I had Star Trek, no need to rebuy something so similar. (Not the same! But close enough to feel like it.)
No video was going to change that, probably why after a bit I got bored and closed the stream. I was just watching the LCD screen, the actual ball play wasn't compelling.

This got buried a few pages back, but there is much to agree with here.

#4978 6 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

watching the video wondering how many modes there are? looks like 4X Characters but each character has 5 + modes highlighting on the planets? Are those modes different depending on the character?
example
Is
Luke +Deathstar 1 different then Han + Deathstar 1? assuming there both lit?
Or is all the plants and and wizards modes are the same. the Character just sets the path?

All the modes are the same regardless of character chosen. Choosing a character automatically "completes" a handful of specified modes at start (the modes in which the character isn't in apparently).

#4979 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

All the modes are the same regardless of character chosen. Choosing a character automatically "completes" a handful of specified modes at start (the modes in which the character isn't in apparently).

I was under the impression that depending on which character you selected, each mode might have some variation.
We know that Han Solo doesn't have to complete "Escape from Cloud City", since he was frozen in carbonite, but I think that depending on your character, your mode may differ slightly. I expect many are the same though, especially if all the characters were together for a particular scene.

#4980 6 years ago

Any pin that I've ever liked has one or more cool physical gimmicks. Addams Family has the hand, the magnets under the playfield to randomize the ball. TZ has the gumball machine and magnaflip. LOTR has the magnetized ring that freezes the ball before disappearing onto the ramp behind the playfield. TS has the Sanctum, player-controlled diverters, and the best upper playfield in pinball. AS shoots the ball into the air into a toy box. NGG has the slam ramp to elevate the ball into the hole. The list goes on and on. This game has nothing in a physical sense. Does it have cool rules that Stern has shown that it is capable of when it tries? Yes. But that layout is SOO tired. Couple that with no, zero, zilch interactive toys and it's blah to me. And the fact that you have to pay 40-80% more for the version that may throw an interactive toy your way. Stick it!

#4981 6 years ago

I'll play it on location, and I like the code - but for home use I don't like the theme or toys, so it's a no-go. The most recent Stern I have is Metallica - and it will probably remain that way until the next Lyman "cornerstone" game. (I refuse to participate in the Super LE overpriced forced-rarity scam).

#4982 6 years ago

blockquote cite="#3854366">But that layout is SOO tired. Couple that with no, zero, zilch interactive toys and it's blah to me

you forgot about the hyper drive loop on the premium/le. although not interactive, it will be pretty epic with balls looping around during ballplay. It is one of a kind (besides the Getaway).

This game gets your heart beating with the music, bonus and playfield multipliers timing out, and fast returning shots from the inner orbit loop. Throw in the balls warping around in front of your face and flippers, and the game will be complete madness.

i love all of the mode stack options, and Dwight said you can stack 3 multi balls at once!

#4983 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I was under the impression that depending on which character you selected, each mode might have some variation.
We know that Han Solo doesn't have to complete "Escape from Cloud City", since he was frozen in carbonite, but I think that depending on your character, your mode may differ slightly. I expect many are the same though, especially if all the characters were together for a particular scene.

If anything you *might* get a different video clip, but the shots and mode rules are identical.

#4984 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'll play it on location, and I like the code - but for home use I don't like the theme or toys, so it's a no-go. The most recent Stern I have is Metallica - and it will probably remain that way until the next Lyman "cornerstone" game. (I refuse to participate in the Super LE overpriced forced-rarity scam).

Yea unfortunately they benched Lyman and put him on all the throw away dog titles; WWE, BM66. Waste of talent honestly. Hope for another Borg/Sheats game soon.

#4985 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's almost as if they knew that had the king of all licenses and decided that the game would sell on that fact alone. So, why try?

#4986 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

you forgot about the hyper loop loop on the premium/le. although not interactive, it will be pretty epic with balls looping around during ballplay. It is one of a kind (besides the Getaway).

NASCAR does it more like Star Wars than The Getaway does.

#4987 6 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

This got buried a few pages back, but there is much to agree with here.

There is, but I did respond with this to help open the mind:

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Aurich, I'm saying this cause you're a fan of Star Wars. You're not seeing the big picture. What stern delivered is a game for any home owner to play the way THEY CHOOSE. You say you don't like the rules of multipliers and that picking two missions makes no sense; but the game is developed to play however you like. You can choose to start on tatooine, then take your chance to battle the Death Star, then escape from Hoth, then have your ewok orgy and face off against Vader in the battle for endor. All while dodging Boba Fett, fighting tie fighters, playing millineum falcon multiballs, increasing your Jedi mastery (just like Luke in the movies!), and having light saber duels! Dude, as a fan of the trilogy, how can you not be excited for having an SW pinball where YOU choose how you want to play it. That's why people like me are getting a boner over this game. Not just because there's 40X jackpots to be had, not just cause there's 5 wizard modes, not just cause you can stack two missions and multiple hurry ups, not just cause there's 12 multiballs, not just cause you can pick one of 4 heroes and picking what diplomatic power up you're going to utilize each ball, but because you can play it SO MANY ways including your preferred story mode fashion and try to conquer the game in a more linear fashion - i.e. Play a new hope, empire strikes back, return of the Jedi in that order. The world under the glass is endless...that's what's so special with this pin especially since it is Star Wars.
Take that for what you will, but there's a bigger picture here besides multipliers and huge jackpots.

#4988 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's my one complaint about TWD: the toys. The zombie heads (prison and bicycle girl) are way out of proportion and really just sad examples of bash toys. Well walker is ok, but if you've seen the show he's in like one tiny insignificant scene. Why did they pick him for a main toy??? The crossbow is just a pathetic reuse of Austin Powers and it doesn't even look like a crossbow! Other than that, the game is freaking awesome. I personally even like the art.

#4989 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

NASCAR does it more like Star Wars than The Getaway does.

true, but that loop isn't right in front of your face. I forgot about that one, probably because it is...well...nascar and forgettable.

#4990 6 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Any pin that I've ever liked has one or more cool physical gimmicks. Addams Family has the hand, the magnets under the playfield to randomize the ball. TZ has the gumball machine and magnaflip. LOTR has the magnetized ring that freezes the ball before disappearing onto the ramp behind the playfield. TS has the Sanctum, player-controlled diverters, and the best upper playfield in pinball. AS shoots the ball into the air into a toy box. NGG has the slam ramp to elevate the ball into the hole. The list goes on and on. This game has nothing in a physical sense. Does it have cool rules that Stern has shown that it is capable of when it tries? Yes. But that layout is SOO tired. Couple that with no, zero, zilch interactive toys and it's blah to me. And the fact that you have to pay 40-80% more for the version that may throw an interactive toy your way. Stick it!

I'm wondering if the hyperdrive loop and jump ramp into the DeathStar on the premium and LE would be comparable to the "physical gimmicks" you are referring to on other games? Personally, many of those gimmicks only serve to slow down the flow of the game and the novelty wears off after seeing them a time or two. Hope this doesn't have the same end result on SW.

#4991 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Personally, many of those gimmicks only serve to slow down the flow of the game and the novelty wears off after seeing them a time or two.

Personally it never gets old frying sparky. Best toy ever.

#4992 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Personally it never gets old frying sparky. Best toy ever.

Actually, waiting for that dang animation is the ONLY thing on Metallica that I think gets old.

#4993 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I'm wondering if the hyperdrive loop and jump ramp into the DeathStar on the premium and LE would be comparable to the "physical gimmicks" you are referring to on other games?

I suspect that hyperspace loop is exactly that. Just a visual gimmick that will not affect gameplay in any way. You heard it here, Pro and Prem will play identically, more closely than any previous SR game since he came back to Stern.

#4994 6 years ago
Quoted from Jojo1111:

I suspect that hyperspace loop is exactly that. Just a visual gimmick that will not affect gameplay in any way. You heard it here, Pro and Prem will play identically, more closely than any previous SR game since he came back to Stern.

If that's the case, it makes going pro the logical choice and you don't lose much. We'll have to see though.

#4995 6 years ago
Quoted from Jojo1111:

Well seeing as you can add up to 6 balls in that mode it may score slightly different.

#4996 6 years ago

The only thing that is going to get old on SW is the main theme playing over and over again.

#4997 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

From Keith on TiltForums: "Use flippers to move a span of 3 shot multipliers, button to lock it in. As the shot multiplier increases fewer shots light. <5x = 3 shots lit. <10x= 2 shots lit. >10x only one shot lit. Playing as r2d2 the threshold is higher (7x,14x)"

Ok, that makes perfect sense and is exactly how I thought it could be. Higher multiplier values should be more difficult to score...

Rob

#4998 6 years ago
Quoted from Jojo1111:

i think the big difference will be the hyper space mb. i noticed the captive balls are released at the death star on the pro, and added into gameplay if i recall (1 ball per death star shot?). i will assume the hyper space loop on premiums will actually loop these balls into the death star or something?

#4999 6 years ago

Screenshot_20170707-125809 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20170707-125809 (resized).jpg

#5000 6 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I am very impressed by all folks, here and in France, that bother to express their resentment of this game (without even having played it)
So let's have fun!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 210.00
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 7,455 posts in this topic. You are on page 100 of 150.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-star-wars-pinball/page/100 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.