peter-criss-kiss.jpg
220px-Eric_Singer_2012.jpg
Tommy-Thayer.jpg
kiss_-_ace_frehley_a.jpg
AceFrehley.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 5.21.18 PM.png
KISS_JAWS.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't think anybody will be able to swap songs with the new Spike system.

I was just going to ask this. I thought Pinball Browser only worked with SAM on the Stern games.

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Does Stern sell directly to consumers? I've never purchased a NIB but this will be my first!

No, you have to buy through a distributor. If you're close to the Stern plant, you can pick it up from Stern, but you have to order it through a distributor. Distributors' "shipped" prices are usually much lower than Stern's msrp. Shop around.

#500 8 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Can someone explain the difference in the Gene head function on pro vs prem? Does Gene spit balls out of his mouth on the pro?

It's my interpretation that the Pro will be a virtual lock and the ball will simply come out the mouth by gravity. The Prem/LE will actually lock and hold the balls, and then eject them out for MB one after another. Does that sound right?

#508 8 years ago

One of the inserts on the scoop hole reads, "New Track." I guess the option to change songs is available like ACDC?

#555 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Pinball browser will likely not work with this game since it is expected to be a Spike system game.

Quoted from Aurich:

Pinball Browser won't work on this game, only for SAM, not Spike.
Maybe that will change later, but at least for now there will be no song swapping on new games.
Edit: Damnit DCFAN!

Quoted from oga83:

No, Pinball Browser is not compatible with Spike ...yet

It's coming.

#558 8 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

this is from pinballnews:
As to what's actually on the playfield, a spinning disc under the head of Gene Simmons throws the ball back to the player Tron-style. This area is also used to lock balls in the Pro, whereas in the Premium and LE, the head tilts forward to allow shots into the mouth to lock balls.
is this true ???????

Based on the feature matrix, I don't think the info about locking balls is correct.

#562 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I have no idea but my educated guess is you have to complete the STAR targets and hit the ramp. The ball then gets diverted to the backboard area and the magnet (mist effect) cares the ball to the little mini stage/playfield behind the Starchild figure and drops down that hole.
Again just a guess based on pics.

But levitating ball is only on the LE/Prem. The feature Pinballer07 is asking about is check marked on all three version on the main attractions section of the feature matrix. The Pro doesn't have the diverter on the ramp either.

#565 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I'm not sure then. Maybe a mistake in the matrix.

According to Pinball News: The Starchild (Paul) enclosed area features four S-T-A-R targets and - on the Premium and LE versions - a controlled drop target to reveal a hidden saucer.

Maybe the hidden saucer is not so "hidden" on the Pro? Or maybe you are correct about a mistake in the matrix.

#613 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Comic art never had awkward poses back in the 70s.

KISS.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Does the LE come printed with real KISS blood, too?

#718 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Stern did right with AC/DC, who are a top 10 group. They could have done phenomenally well with a Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin pin, who are both acts in the top 10 all time artists....if you had to go with a music themed pin I guess.

I would consider those three bands as "Top 10," also, but what criteria are you using? Record sales?

From the ultimate source, wikipedia: "worldwide sales exceeds 100 million records, making them one of the world’s best-selling bands of all time."

Pinball sales are always going to be a small niche. They're expensive! Picking themes that have recognition worldwide is a good thing.

Edit: Based on certified world-wide record sales, which is half to a third of "claimed" record sales by all artists listed, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are 6th and 7th respectively. ACDC is 11th. Rolling Stones 13th. Metallica 32nd. KISS is around 93rd.

#733 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But I don't like it when people get all bent out of shape over some criticism. Rarehero has an opinion (that I and other people happen to think is right), he gave it in a constructive manner, and took the time to hand draw an example sketch to illustrate his point. That's a useful contribution to the community. Frankly, whining about it isn't.

I didn't really see anyone getting bent out of shape. One guy said "nit-pick...KISS hater," another said, "start your own 'bitch about KISS art' thread," but everything else seemed to be part of a discussion. The things Rarehero is pointing out may be valid points regarding the artwork, but how is it constructive if O'Connor isn't part of the discussion? It's not going to change.

Artists who collect/buy pinball machines are going to have an eye for the little things, but I think the resistance to that opinion in this thread is because it seems like such a "little thing."

I'm also confused by the whining comment. There was a pretty good discussion from both sides. Did you mean whining about bad hands, or whining that someone pointed out bad hands?

#744 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Exactly. Why go with a band ranked 93rd musically? With such a narrow audience? Plenty of other bands with a much wider audience.

Except most of those bands don't have the theatrics and comic-book/superhero-style that fits pinball. Pink Floyd would work, and so would Led Zeppelin, but you could say the same thing about Elvis and The Rolling Stones. Most of the recording artists ahead of KISS in world-wide sales don't have the same "attitude" that ACDC, Metallica, and KISS have. Elton John? ABBA? Garth Brooks? Madonna? Mariah Carey? Whitney Houston? Won't happen. KISS is known for its merchandising and its place in American pop culture of the 70's. Star Wars, Planet of the Apes, and KISS! It would be interesting to know how KISS merch compares in sales to Elvis merch.

#750 8 years ago

‘We outsell the Beatles and Elvis put together': Kiss’ Gene Simmons makes no apologies for merchandising.

In almost every article I found about KISS merch on the trusty ol' Internet, the Bally pinball machine is mentioned in the lead. Close to 4,000 different products, and the pinball machine gets mentioned every time! What better exposure for the new machine? It's not about the music, it's about the marketing.

#752 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yes and no....remember TWD? Everyone was salivating like Pavlov's dogs about that theme but the game play..well you know. So yes this maybe a hit if the game play lives up to the hype. The pf looks really good but there is only one ramp and the upper left side is a Cul de sac, so it's a gamble at this point to drop $8k without playing it first.

Two ramps.

#756 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Technically one up ramp with two exits...unless I missed something?

Right ramp feeds right flipper. Center ramp feeds left flipper.

#759 8 years ago
Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

The songs used on this machine are all from the re-recorded-without-Ace-and-Peter-so-we-don't-have-to-pay-them-for-their-performance "KISS Klassics" CD that came with Sonic Boom. I assume these are the song versions that will be used on this machine.
That's why we, unfortunately, won't see "100,000 Years, Firehouse, Cold Gin and Parasite", or any of the other non-KISS Klassics tunes.

When Pinball Browser is set up for the SPIKE system, you can add whatever you want.

#761 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Kiss has always been a bunch of whores.

From the Internet: Bassist and co-founder Gene Simmons, who has been the most aggressive and ambitious member of the band in seeking merchandising deals, has voiced disregard for the portions of his fan base who disapprove of such merchandising. In his book Sex Money Kiss, he states: "I think it's cool to see my face on a lunchbox. It's fun. I'm doing this for me. You don't have to buy one."

#931 8 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Yes. I'll be in the factory tomorrow.
Much more on that in a different thread later.

Ask them if the one-size-fits-all, sloppy, bad hands, messed up guitar strap translite on KISS was just a mock-up.

#950 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

3. No mini LCD? There's a mini LCD toy on Wrestlemania and I though we would see another here. On the premium and LE it would be nice and help justify the price if a mini LCD existed above the "stage".

I make a Micro Display Mod for about 30 titles. I would love to make one for KISS in the future, but I've been told the new SPIKE system doesn't have the same 5v/12v plug by the coin door that other Sterns have had. I would need an easy way to tap a 5v source.

#978 8 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

The way the Ace wears his strap, under his shoulder costume pieces, and the type of strap that it is, plain black, I don't think you would really see much of it in that crouching pose he is in.

"Can't see the lines, can ya, Russ."

Shooter__00a.jpegShooter__00a.jpeg

#1015 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

Can't see it? Plain black??? Ace's incredibly iconic lightning bolt strap is pretty clearly visible in that photo.

Yeah, I guess it depends on the era and the outfit. I chose a bad example, as the lightning bolt strap is clearly visible. Here's a better image as it relates to the translite. In fact, this is probably the image KISS provided to O'Connor, as it's almost identical.

AceFrehley.jpgAceFrehley.jpg

#1096 8 years ago

So that's the pro with color changing leds in the arrow inserts? Has Stern been doing that now with the led pros?

#1120 8 years ago

My plan was to buy the pro by the end of the year. I may need to step up my timeline a bit!

#1131 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I am not sure if I am the only one who feels this way, but I am really starting to get bothered that this game completely leaves out Ace and Peter. At first Stern fooled me, I did not look very closely at the art, and the classic pop bumpers "appeared" to be the same. I actually thought they included them and proclaimed it to the world. Then, we heard the music which is the re-recordings and are inferior to the originals which made me take a closer look at the game. So I look closer at the art and it is Eric Singer on the drums and Tommy Thayer on guitar. Just feels like I am cheating Ace and Peter a bit. It's not a deal breaker - I am getting an LE, but I feel a little bit like a traitor. I grew up in the 70's; I mean, I wouldn't buy a Styx game without the singing of Dennis De Young or a Journey pinball without hearing Steve Perry or a Pink Floyd pinball without Roger Waters. I don't think I'd even buy a Van Halen pinball without David Lee Roth (this one is close because I like Sammy).
Anyone else feeling guilty here?

Isn't the pic below Ace, which is portrayed on the backglass? And isn't the artwork on the cabinet from the solo albums?

AceFrehley.jpgAceFrehley.jpg

#1143 8 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

I'd say Eric Singer is in the backglass instead of Peter Criss, and Ace is there instead of Tommy. Not sure why they did it that way, but that's what it looks like.

I think it's a stretch to say it's NOT Peter Criss based on the makeup. The makeup on Dynasty doesn't look any different than the drummer on the backglass. I think Nuclear_Waste is closer to the truth: It's Catman and Spaceman.

Kiss Dynasty.jpgKiss Dynasty.jpg

#1148 8 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

As long as we're comparing makeup: did nobody notice that on the 4 face inserts the Starchild has black lips instead of red? Catman has no lips at all (and if they would be there, they should also be red, not black). It may not be a big deal, I just noticed it.

But that's because those inserts are referencing the pop caps, which are black and white.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-kiss-kinda-based-on-the-1978-bally-machine?tu=sparky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.