peter-criss-kiss.jpg
220px-Eric_Singer_2012.jpg
Tommy-Thayer.jpg
kiss_-_ace_frehley_a.jpg
AceFrehley.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 5.21.18 PM.png
KISS_JAWS.jpg
image.jpg
There are 1,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 26.
#1151 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I am not sure if I am the only one who feels this way, but I am really starting to get bothered that this game completely leaves out Ace and Peter. At first Stern fooled me, I did not look very closely at the art, and the classic pop bumpers "appeared" to be the same. I actually thought they included them and proclaimed it to the world. Then, we heard the music which is the re-recordings and are inferior to the originals which made me take a closer look at the game. So I look closer at the art and it is Eric Singer on the drums and Tommy Thayer on guitar. Just feels like I am cheating Ace and Peter a bit. It's not a deal breaker - I am getting an LE, but I feel a little bit like a traitor. I grew up in the 70's; I mean, I wouldn't buy a Styx game without the singing of Dennis De Young or a Journey pinball without hearing Steve Perry or a Pink Floyd pinball without Roger Waters. I don't think I'd even buy a Van Halen pinball without David Lee Roth (this one is close because I like Sammy).
Anyone else feeling guilty here?

Why feel guilty? It was Ace and Criss who partied until they were completely out of it, their actions led to them being fired over and over again. I'm sure Gene and Paul would have rather kept them together as one unit this whole time and not have to deal with the drama, the BS and the lawyers.. Thats like feeling guilty about buying Metallica cause Dave Mustaine was shitcanned.. Buy the pin if you want it, dont if you dont, but its really pointless to bring emotions like this into your thought process. IMO.

#1152 8 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

No kidding. Some of this conversation is downright hilarious.
Why doesn't everyone complain to Hanna Barbara about not using Ace's real voice in Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park from 1979! That MIGHT HAVE saved the movie and garnered it an Emmy.....(sarcasm)
KISS has always been four ugly guys who couldn't sing, could barely play, with totally marginal music (complex lyrics like: "first I drink, then I smoke"), an outrageous stage show, and some of the best marketing any band ever put together.
Gene Simmons is laughing all the way to the bank watching people argue about versions of songs, eye makeup and balls shooting or dribbling out of a molded head on a 5k toy HE licensed to Gary!

If Kiss were just marketing they would have died out in the 70s. Yet they've been packing arenas for forty years--granted, they're more of a nostalgia act these days. Still, you don't have that kind of long-term draw if the music didn't work on some level.

Nothing wrong with geeking out on Kiss. Go to the forum of any band and see people sparring over the details...just like I see pinheads obsessing over...

#1153 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Thats like feeling guilty about buying Metallica cause Dave Mustaine was shitcanned.

Or even that Cliff isn't on the playfield. He's not in the band anymore (RIP). So it goes.

#1154 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Or even that Cliff isn't on the playfield. He's not in the band anymore (RIP). So it goes.

I thought about bringing up Cliff as well, but thought I would keep it framed in band members who did it to themselves, but it is an excellent point. It is a shame there was no mention of Cliff at all.

#1155 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I thought about bringing up Cliff as well, but thought I would keep it framed in band members who did it to themselves, but it is an excellent point. It is a shame there was no mention of Cliff at all.

Cliff is there. You bring him with you when you play. \m/

#1156 8 years ago

Maybe we can think of a name that covers all the guys on the machine wearing cat makeup. How about Pussyface? lol

#1158 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

How about Pussyface?

Lovely.

#1159 8 years ago

Metallica doesnt seem to be actively screwing cliff and jason out of song writing credits or royalties. I think they just bought the rights to the back catalog. No rerecordings.

Rocknroll induction ceremony had cliffys family there and jason as well. I have no way of knowing any business backend, but from what i have seen heard from the way metallica handles the business side it seems that they are probably making sure cliffs estate/family is being compensated.

In some kind of monster movie they indicated that with rob from that time one it would be 25/25/25/25 cut between the four of them.

Kiss is handling this in a very different manner.

#1160 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

[...] or a Pink Floyd pinball without Syd Barrett.

FTFY

#1161 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Metallica doesnt seem to be actively screwing cliff and jason out of song writing credits or royalties. I think they just bought the rights to the back catalog. No rerecordings.
Rocknroll induction ceremony had cliffys family there and jason as well. I have no way of knowing any business backend, but from what i have seen heard from the way metallica handles the business side it seems that they are probably making sure cliffs estate/family is being compensated.
In some kind of monster movie they indicated that with rob from that time one it would be 25/25/25/25 cut between the four of them.

Two different scenarios. Cliff was not fired, Jason was not fired. Ace and Criss were fired, rehired, fired... Metallica is doing the right thing, and so is kiss. Those two screwed themselves..

#1162 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Totally. I think Kiss also had a four-way split on everything when they were popular in the 70s. But when they reunited in 1996, Ace & Peter were contracted, getting a much smaller share of the touring profits--though still millions. Eventually things went sour again, Ace quit, and I think Peter was fired.

Then they did the Walmart deal that was popular a few years back (Journey did the same deal), where they put out an album of new material, bundled with a CD of greatest hits rerecorded, essentially leaving Ace & Peter out of everything except the songs they co-wrote. Sounds like these are the tracks being used in the pin.

#1163 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I might not be mad if they decided to rerecord And Justice and mix and master it properly ...

#1164 8 years ago

If you go by the KISS and Metallica logic in these last posts, there'd have to be like 40 people on that Deep Purple pin when they finally get around to making it.

Brad

#1165 8 years ago
Quoted from bsnelson:

If you go by the KISS and Metallica logic in these last posts, there'd have to be like 40 people on that Deep Purple pin when they finally get around to making it.
Brad

Or Chicago... They'll have to build 3 machines that go side-by-side just to fit them all.

#1166 8 years ago

Never mind the Yes pin!

Yes family tree.jpgYes family tree.jpg

#1167 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Two different scenarios. Cliff was not fired, Jason was not fired. Ace and Criss were fired, rehired, fired... Metallica is doing the right thing, and so is kiss. Those two screwed themselves..

You need to do some more research. Ace left because he was tired of the Bull from Paul and Gene Selling merchandise to kids etc. Hired a lawyer thinking it was a friend, that screwed him on signing ACE's likeness away. When Peter left the band was already done. You have to remember Paul and Gene think they are Kiss and any other member is just an addition. Still pissed on the way Paul treated his fans at this years SEMA, and the last concert in Calgary he was sitting on the stage during songs total BS.

#1168 8 years ago

And also look at the way they treated Ace and Peter when they inducted into the RRHOF

#1169 8 years ago

Seems simple enough to me, if you think Paul and Gene are dicks and you don't care for the state of the band then don't buy the pinball machine that puts money in their pocket.

#1170 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's no accident that I Can't Drive 55 on Nascar is a cover version and not the original Hagar tune.

for me the biggest disappointment is that they didn't splurge for licensing on Dirty Harry and incorporate Lalo Schifrin's Magnum Force theme, the music on Dirty Harry is just dreadful with this theme.

I hope there are going to be good callouts and can turn that up and the music down for Kiss, those songs are going to get old fast especially if one was never a fan to begin with.

#1171 8 years ago
Quoted from aberdeentp:

for me the biggest disappointment is that they didn't splurge for licensing on Dirty Harry and incorporate Lalo Schifrin's Magnum Force theme, the music on Dirty Harry is just dreadful with this theme.
I hope there are going to be good callouts and can turn that up and the music down for Kiss, those songs are going to get old fast especially if one was never a fan to begin with.

I thought the spike system was cracked by someone so you'll be able to change the songs. No?

#1172 8 years ago
Quoted from Cobra99:

You need to do some more research. Ace left because he was tired of the Bull from Paul and Gene Selling merchandise to kids etc. Hired a lawyer thinking it was a friend, that screwed him on signing ACE's likeness away. When Peter left the band was already done. You have to remember Paul and Gene think they are Kiss and any other member is just an addition. Still pissed on the way Paul treated his fans at this years SEMA, and the last concert in Calgary he was sitting on the stage during songs total BS.

So is what your saying is they both voluntarily left the band. So we should feel sorry for them now? Anyway, this is off topic, but sometimes Ya just have to live with your decisions.

#1173 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Anyway, this is off topic, but sometimes Ya just have to live with your decisions.

Tell that to Ron Wayne! =)

#1174 8 years ago

Is there any chance for alternative translites? Since the era on the costumes on the game are 77/78 - I would love to have a high def image of the album art for Love Gun on the translite. It is probably their most iconic album cover art.

#1176 8 years ago

Yes mate, we are waiting for the PS to Dance video for the LE and Prem.

#1177 8 years ago

So seeing how songs had to be re recorded to put in this game I'm guessing the chances of "Strutter" being added are 0 ((

#1178 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Is there any chance for alternative translites? Since the era on the costumes on the game are 77/78 - I would love to have a high def image of the album art for Love Gun on the translite. It is probably their most iconic album cover art.

Only of the bootleg eBay variety for this one I suspect. I wouldn't touch it, that's for sure. Now that Stern is doing their own mods I think it's an area that is going to require more circumspection. And with a brand like Kiss especially.

#1179 8 years ago

I would think the biggest risk would be in trying to sell them publically rather than making a one-off for yourself. An afternoon with Photoshop, a good scanner and a printer who doesn't object would be all you'd need. Wouldn't shock me at all if KISS pays someone to search for stuff like that and C&D their asses.

#1180 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I would think the biggest risk would be in trying to sell them publically rather than making a one-off for yourself. An afternoon with Photoshop, a good scanner and a printer who doesn't object would be all you'd need. Wouldn't shock me at all if KISS pays someone to search for stuff like that and C&D their asses.

From what I understand from the skit-b debacle is that if something is made for,personal use and not for sale, it doesn't violate IP rights. I could be wrong of course.

#1181 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

From what I understand from the skit-b debacle is that if something is made for,personal use and not for sale, it doesn't violate IP rights. I could be wrong of course.

You're safe scanning some old record covers or downloading KISS pics and making a translite for your personal use. You'll just have to find a printer that will print it (some won't touch copyrighted material). Where you can run into trouble is "distribution," either running off a bunch and trying to sell them, or making your art files publicly available for others to use.

#1182 8 years ago

Indeed. Don't do anything silly without talking to a lawyer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

#1183 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Indeed. Don't do anything silly without talking to a lawyer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Talking to a lawyer? That sounds costly.

#1184 8 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Talking to a lawyer? That sounds costly.

Funny thing about that...

#1185 8 years ago

stern kiss mods

stern kiss mods.jpgstern kiss mods.jpg
#1186 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

stern kiss mods

stern kiss mods.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

all the stuff s/b on le.........

#1187 8 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

all the stuff s/b on le.........

So skip buying the LE, which offers very little over the Premium anyways, and spend the price difference adding all the mods.

#1188 8 years ago

anyone have an update on delivery date for USA pros?

#1189 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

anyone have an update on delivery date for USA pros?

I was wondering the same on the LE's.

#1190 8 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

I was wondering the same on the LE's.

I was told late June to early July for the LE's in Canada.

#1191 8 years ago

Week of the 7th for USA pros.

#1192 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So skip buying the LE, which offers very little over the Premium anyways, and spend the price difference adding all the mods.

Exactly my thought... Muddy the waters enough and LE is a lot less enticing.

#1193 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

you are correct. here's what happens, I have my le's and I want matching games. I will buy the topper and maybe the inside panels. the armor will stay the same.

#1194 8 years ago

Starting to lean to the pro even over the premium.

#1195 8 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Do it! My Pro is paid for and I keep checking the mailbox for delivery.

#1196 8 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Feel the exact same way. The ball trick is cool, but does impact game play, haven't seen the light show and the Paul figure is the first thing I will rip off the playfield, so who cares he can dance?........why buy anything but a pro.

#1197 8 years ago

Oops

#1198 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I should have done this. Too late now, lol. I bought the LE before the mods were announced. Part of me thinks that was deliberate.

#1199 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I should have done this. Too late now, lol. I bought the LE before the mods were announced. Part of me thinks that was deliberate.

You should be able to change it to the premium. Any good distributor will do this.

#1200 8 years ago

After seeing Zombieyetis. KISS artwork, it has kind of ruined me on this artwork. It should have been updated, but I still appreciate the hand drawn artwork none the less.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-kiss-kinda-based-on-the-1978-bally-machine/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.