Topic Stats

• 1,252 posts
  • 348 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by lllvjr
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 166 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0993.jpg
image.jpg
screen-capture-5.png
stern kiss mods.jpg
Yes family tree.jpg
Kiss Dynasty.jpg
peter-criss-kiss.jpg
220px-Eric_Singer_2012.jpg
Tommy-Thayer.jpg
kiss_-_ace_frehley_a.jpg
AceFrehley.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 5.21.18 PM.png
KISS_JAWS.jpg
image.jpg

There are 1252 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 26.
#901 4 years ago
Quoted from Iceman5000:

due to WWE flop.

It would be a shame if this flopped too. I honestly can't see too many non Kiss army people buying this just because it is a "new" pinball machine.

#902 4 years ago

Would love some videos of game play
Shame they offer preorder before showing game play.

#903 4 years ago
Quoted from Pindiddy:

I heard a rumor that the music being used is from the re-recordings from 2009 to get around paying the original members from the 70's. I hope it isn't true. not hearing the originals would be a huge letdown.

No one knows yet what versions are being used.

The Re-recordings have A LOT more punch, and it would be pretty hard to tell the difference on pinball machine speakers. Listen to the whole album here:

The above link does not play the entire album because pinside chops off the end of the link.

Cut and paste:

Quoted from Pindiddy:

What's the possibility of replacing the songs if the new re-recordings are used? Code can be updated. Could owners replace songs?

That is being worked on right now.

#904 4 years ago

Vid is my hero!

#905 4 years ago

Spent some time looking at KISS music videos. Not too many bands have had such perseverance.

They played arena rock when it was cool. Glam rock became cool, so they ditched the makeup and wore weird glam stuff. Darker, moodier stuff became cool so they went that direction. They lost their target audience, so back to the makeup.

The lead guitarist and drummer are like the Rusty and Audrey Griswold of the rock world. They keep changing. It's almost like the running gag in Spinal Tap where the drummer keeps dying.

Anyway, looking forward to my Pro.

#906 4 years ago

A lot of bands like to use re-recordings so *they* get paid (as opposed to record labels from old crappy deals). So it's just as likely it's about that then it is trying screw old members. Might have made the negotiations easier too. (Pure guesswork, have zero inside knowledge on this)

#907 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

I would love a Katy Perry pin. Can you imagine the artwork. Have you seen her chest?
This image got 2 "unsafe" tags and has ben hidden automatically, per your settings. un-hideScreen Shot 2015-05-10 at 10.02.34 PM.png (Click image to enlarge) 2

what is she looking for?

#908 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

A lot of bands like to use re-recordings so *they* get paid (as opposed to record labels from old crappy deals). So it's just as likely it's about that then it is trying screw old members. Might have made the negotiations easier too. (Pure guesswork, have zero inside knowledge on this)

I don't believe that Ace and Peter helped to write any of those songs....so there must be another reason why they would be used.

Some of the re-recorded versions are ok -Duece for example has much more space to it as do a a few others. The three that are not anywhere near the original recordings are Detroit Rock City, Love Gun, and Calling Dr. Love. The last one was a production milestone and the re-recorded version doesn't come anywhere close.

#909 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Re-recordings have A LOT more punch, and it would be pretty hard to tell the difference on pinball machine speakers.

I agree that the instruments are a lot more vibrant and robust.

However, Paul and Gene's aging vocals don't come nowhere close to their 70's recordings.

The digital technology used to hide this, didn't help much.

Just my opinion...

#910 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

what is she looking for?

where the next tongue ride is supposed to go?

#911 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

where the next tongue ride is supposed to go?

Ha! Reminds me if an old Rodney rude song lyric (Aussie comedian who is known for working "blue")
"Me face'll be leaving in quarter of an hour, I'd like you to be on it."
The song is called, "Do you f*ck on first dates?".

#912 4 years ago

Must be the re-recordings. Makes perfect sense. I was wondering why I love it loud and Lick it up was in the line-up but looking at the re-recording link that vid1900 put up a few posts ago, the 10 they chose is ok if those 15 songs is what they had to choose from. I would rather have I was made for loving you than Lick it up, but no big deal.

I do get a sour taste if this is true. True, the old recordings is far from perfect (bad sound and not the best band in the world to play the songs) but they sound like 70' Kiss, young and hungry, the way I remember them. The re-recordings, though ok, sounds like what they are; an old band trying the best they can, using all the recording tricks they possible, in the process. I have not been a Kiss fan the last 33 years (43 now) so who am I to judge, ey?

Judging from the instruction cards, they have taken some of the rules from ac/dc, (changing songs, song awards, completing songs) some from Metallica, (kiss army wizard modes aka crank it up etc) + a few new ones. The layout looks to be really solid (I love the position of the scope. Perfect for back hands)so this could be a great game. We are lucky to have had Lyman do the ground-work with ac/dc and Metallica first, makes it a lot easier for the other programmers not having to re-invent the wheel again.(or screw it up )

I love the art style but I agree that it looks like a hurry-up/sloppy job. Not a deal breaker but it is a bit surprising, if Kevin O had a carte blanche on it.

#913 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

When you see it in full rez you'll realize there is some "photoshopped junk" in there too. The drum set is just a quickly masked photo, and the lights and stage atmosphere in the background are from a pretty low rez photo too. Frankly most of it was drawn over photos, and lots of it was just left bare.
Again, it's not a huge deal. I'm just saying, it feels like a rush job. There's a sloppy masking error on Gene's left calf. It's pretty subtle from a distance , you won't notice it with these small pics, but I'll see it every time I view the translite now. Bad masking on the logo. Clone errors in the background. Starchild or whatever his name is, look at his guitar strap. It doesn't actually connect to the guitar, it just ends in mid air with a couple inches of invisible strap connecting it. If it wasn't obvious that guitar is just a low rez photo with a quick outline around it. And I mean quick, it's not even hand drawn or cleaned up, has artifacts from using an outline layer effect on something that wasn't masked properly (see a theme developing?).
I don't have a problem with drawing over a photo, I use that technique myself, no accusations of "cheating" or anything here. But I have little tolerance for the slop. This is like a first draft sketch submitted for concept approval that was just rubber stamped and never actually finished.
Considering that Stern is using the same art for all three versions of the game it would have been nice if someone had give then whole thing a better once over. I wouldn't have let sloppy work like that past me on something I was art directing, you damn well better at least nail your masks. Give me the source file for this and I could fix all of these issues in an hour. There's really no excuse for it.
So it goes though. I doubt a single sale will be affected by it one way or the other. I'm not gonna bother posting images for all these problems, if you don't see them then just enjoy the art, no point in trying to ruin it for you. But here, just as a single illustration of what I mean, tell me there's a reason why no one bothered to at least finish the guitar strap?
Dat strap

You know whats really bad about that photo of the guitar... That circle that the strap stops before it gets to is NOT the strap button, its the pickup toggle switch....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-ps-series-ps40-paul-stanley-signature-electric-guitar?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAjwycaqBRCSorjE7ZewsmUSJABWzM54xOgpUtyXaaLdkHXLH5lWAdOZCQb85nFWqZZw3a5mixoCSFDw_wcB&kwid=productads-plaid%5E80557600827-sku%5EJ19593000001000@ADL4MF-adType%5EPLA-device%5Et-adid%5E51870555867

The strap button should be on the edge of the guitar ans stick out in te same direction as the neck. Its been totally clipped off on this pic.

#914 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I don't believe that Ace and Peter helped to write any of those songs....so there must be another reason why they would be used.

Writers royalties/ownership are separate from performance royalties and ownership. The 'lets re-record our songs' angle is typically to get around the latter... a particular recording/mix of a song would typically be tied up in ownership and royalties as part of a record deal and re-recording the song outside of that old record deal will allow them to distribute and market that copy under new terms.

Compensation for digital distribution is a common sticking point that the old deals may not be as favorable to bands.. so they re-record under a new deal with someone else to get better terms.

As for the old band mates angle.. that's hard to say because it would all be dependent on how the band's internal arrangements were. The performance ownership is typically the main purpose.

#915 4 years ago

Any speculation on what type of Cliffy will be needed for the shooter lane (left side, under the apron)?

I see a wire guide that disappears under there. I'm trying to figure out if a "standard" Stern protector is going to work, or if it'll need the Metallica one with the slot cut into it.

I suppose you could use the Metallica one whether or not the wire guide is in the way, right? Anything wrong with that logic?

#916 4 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

You know whats really bad about that photo of the guitar... That circle that the strap stops before it gets to is NOT the strap button, its the pickup toggle switch....
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-ps-series-ps40-paul-stanley-signature-electric-guitar?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAjwycaqBRCSorjE7ZewsmUSJABWzM54xOgpUtyXaaLdkHXLH5lWAdOZCQb85nFWqZZw3a5mixoCSFDw_wcB&kwid=productads-plaid%5E80557600827-sku%5EJ19593000001000@ADL4MF-adType%5EPLA-device%5Et-adid%5E51870555867
The strap button should be on the edge of the guitar ans stick out in te same direction as the neck. Its been totally clipped off on this pic.

Wow, nice catch.

#917 4 years ago
Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

Ha! Reminds me if an old Rodney rude song lyric (Aussie comedian who is known for working "blue")

haha Love that guy. Blue comedy is a staple in our house.

#918 4 years ago

I would "hope" that the artwork we've seen for the backglass/translite is a mock up and not the final piece. We know it's not the final piece because there is no Stern logo on it anywhere. Hopefully Stern is reading this thread as we know they read Pinside and are going to make these changes before going into production. I'd really be surprised they let these issues make it to production as some of which are just sloppy photoshop editing skills.

Being fluent in Photoshop myself I don't think it would take too much effort to fix the glaring issues the eagle eyes have spotted on the translite

Time will tell though.

#919 4 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

We know it's not the final piece because there is no Stern logo on it anywhere.

Good point, that's a hopeful sign.

#920 4 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Actually the neck strap button for the Ibanez PS1CM is on the back of the guitar so it would be an easy job to clean up the artwork. I agree that this is pretty sloppy. Imagine the outcry if a CPR artist were this sloppy on one of their repros?

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eg_page15.php?year=2015&cat_id=1&series_id=28&data_id=314&color=CL01

Here's the back of the guitar:

PS1CM_33_01_CU_Body_Back.jpg

PS1CM_33_01.png

#921 4 years ago
Quoted from Doostur:

Would love some videos of game play
Shame they offer preorder before showing game play.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

#922 4 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Actually the neck strap button for the Ibanez PS1CM is on the back of the guitar so it would be an easy job to clean up the artwork. I agree that this is pretty sloppy. Imagine the outcry if a CPR artist were this sloppy on one of their repros?

I just don't understand it. Maybe it's not final art, here's hoping, but why not just finish it? Especially if it goes to the back, that's dead easy. We're talking 45 seconds of work here.

Anyways, when the final machine comes out I'll do a "strap check".

#923 4 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

Are you visiting stern tomorrow?

#924 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No one knows yet what versions are being used.
The Re-recordings have A LOT more punch, and it would be pretty hard to tell the difference on pinball machine speakers. Listen to the whole album here:
ยป YouTube video
The above link does not play the entire album because pinside chops off the end of the link.
Cut and paste:

That version is horrible. If that is the audio for the game, ahh it would be a pass.

#925 4 years ago
Quoted from woz:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eg_page15.php?year=2015&cat_id=1&series_id=28&data_id=314&color=CL01
Here's the back of the guitar:
PS1CM_33_01_CU_Body_Back.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
PS1CM_33_01.png (Click image to enlarge)

Good call. I didnt find the mirror finish model when i was looking for my link. So i made the assumption that the lower end model (but also paul stanley version) would be similar.

#926 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Are you visiting stern tomorrow?

Yes. I'll be in the factory tomorrow.

Much more on that in a different thread later.

#927 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Writers royalties/ownership are separate from performance royalties and ownership. The 'lets re-record our songs' angle is typically to get around the latter... a particular recording/mix of a song would typically be tied up in ownership and royalties as part of a record deal and re-recording the song outside of that old record deal will allow them to distribute and market that copy under new terms.
Compensation for digital distribution is a common sticking point that the old deals may not be as favorable to bands.. so they re-record under a new deal with someone else to get better terms.
As for the old band mates angle.. that's hard to say because it would all be dependent on how the band's internal arrangements were. The performance ownership is typically the main purpose.

I would venture to say it's the later of your reasons.

#928 4 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Let us know if you spot any Game of Thrones items.

#930 4 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Have a great time ! Let us know what you think of the new building.

LTG : )

#931 4 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Ask them if the one-size-fits-all, sloppy, bad hands, messed up guitar strap translite on KISS was just a mock-up.

#932 4 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Ask them if the one-size-fits-all, sloppy, bad hands, messed up guitar strap translite on KISS was just a mock-up.

Yes, that's definitely a priority. We need an official response.

#933 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Yes, that's definitely a priority. We need an official response.

#wheresthestrap

#934 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

#wheresthestrap

There's a kinky version of an old Wendy's commercial in it for the winner.

#936 4 years ago

Hey Jared,
I think the whole package is awesome. I'm more concerned if they're going to release a new batch of LE machines. Was there an official limit on LE models originally or is it subject to change?

Looking forward to gameplay video to knock this out of the park.

Cheers!
Adam.

#938 4 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Do me a favor.
I've not had time to read all 18 pages here yet.
Please describe the whole issue in detail, bullet points. Try to make it clear and concise. I will personally bring the issue to attention today and see what's up. Fair warning, I may or may not be able to post an official response, but I can promise that the issue will be brought to attention. Thanks.

Paul's guitar strap does not reach his guitar.

#941 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Paul's guitar strap does not reach his guitar.

#Strapgate. #Handsgate. The public needs answers!

#943 4 years ago

Damage done

#944 4 years ago

And they say nothing happens when only the Aussies and Kiwis are watching..

#945 4 years ago

These are not the droids you are looking for........

#946 4 years ago

Loose lips sink ships

#947 4 years ago

I've been saying since the game was announced that they would be using the 2009 re-recordings.

Kiss did this EXACTLY for this reason. They don't have to share money with the record company (and likely can withhold money they'd have to pay ace and peter) by using these.

This mixed with the fact that they used the re-recording of Detroit rock city in that stern promo makes it clear that's what's happening.

#948 4 years ago

Guess we will have to wait for Pinball Browser to work with Sterns Spike system

#949 4 years ago

The game looks pretty cool the more I look at it, especially the pro. I'm surprised by a couple things on the LE though.

1. Why isn't the side artwork more unique compared to the pro and premium versions? Having side artwork that goes with the design of the back glass would look much better in my opinion.

2. The red powder coat looks kinda odd on the LE. It doesn't go with the back glass to me. Having black metallic powder coated side armor with side cabinet artwork with a design similar to the back glass would have looked amazing.

3. No mini LCD? There's a mini LCD toy on Wrestlemania and I thought we would see it again here. On the premium and LE it would be a nice feature and help justify the price if a mini LCD existed above the "stage".

#950 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

3. No mini LCD? There's a mini LCD toy on Wrestlemania and I though we would see another here. On the premium and LE it would be nice and help justify the price if a mini LCD existed above the "stage".

I make a Micro Display Mod for about 30 titles. I would love to make one for KISS in the future, but I've been told the new SPIKE system doesn't have the same 5v/12v plug by the coin door that other Sterns have had. I would need an easy way to tap a 5v source.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 399.95
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
, NB
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Davie, FL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 1252 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside