peter-criss-kiss.jpg
220px-Eric_Singer_2012.jpg
Tommy-Thayer.jpg
kiss_-_ace_frehley_a.jpg
AceFrehley.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 5.21.18 PM.png
KISS_JAWS.jpg
image.jpg
There are 1,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 26.
#551 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Noted.
Good luck Runner in finding a pin that meets your high artistic standards.

#552 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Wow.
The artwork is really great. I would have never thought they would have gone this direction with this machine. I think it looks fantastic.
Damn you Stern!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you going to order 2?

#553 8 years ago

The art on the new machine is a fantastic homage to the original. As a non-Kiss fan, I love the tone and style of it. Its quirky and bright, feels right out of the late 70's. Its perfect!

#554 8 years ago

this is from pinballnews:

As to what's actually on the playfield, a spinning disc under the head of Gene Simmons throws the ball back to the player Tron-style. This area is also used to lock balls in the Pro, whereas in the Premium and LE, the head tilts forward to allow shots into the mouth to lock balls.

is this true ???????

#555 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Pinball browser will likely not work with this game since it is expected to be a Spike system game.

Quoted from Aurich:

Pinball Browser won't work on this game, only for SAM, not Spike.
Maybe that will change later, but at least for now there will be no song swapping on new games.
Edit: Damnit DCFAN!

Quoted from oga83:

No, Pinball Browser is not compatible with Spike ...yet

It's coming.

#556 8 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

whereas in the Premium and LE, the head tilts forward to allow shots into the mouth to lock balls.

Oh oh, I will have to see that. May scare me down to a pro from Prem. Those extra tricks can be worse than good. Have to see it to know.

#557 8 years ago

My distributors order got cut in half on the LEs because he said Kiss took another 80 LE machines for themselves. Can anyone confirm this?

My distributor is already sold out of the LE.

#558 8 years ago

As to what's actually on the playfield, a spinning disc under the head of Gene Simmons throws the ball back to the player Tron-style. This area is also used to lock balls in the Pro, whereas in the Premium and LE, the head tilts forward to allow shots into the mouth to lock balls.
is this true ???????

Based on the feature matrix, I don't think the info about locking balls is correct.

#559 8 years ago

"Play the "Starchild" (Paul) mini play area, complete the targets and get the ball in the hidden hole"

Can anyone shed any more light on this in the feature matrix?...just curious to see how this plays out.

#560 8 years ago

Put your balls into Paul's hidden hole.

Seems like a normal backstage occurrence.

#561 8 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

"Play the "Starchild" (Paul) mini play area, complete the targets and get the ball in the hidden hole"
Can anyone shed any more light on this in the feature matrix?...just curious to see how this plays out.

I have no idea but my educated guess is you have to complete the STAR targets and hit the right ramp. The ball then gets diverted to the backboard area and the magnet (mist effect) cares the ball to the little mini stage/playfield behind the Starchild figure and drops down that hole.

Again just a guess based on pics.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-887.jpgimage-887.jpg
image-701.jpgimage-701.jpg
image-173.jpgimage-173.jpg
image-847.jpgimage-847.jpg
image-533.jpgimage-533.jpg

#562 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I have no idea but my educated guess is you have to complete the STAR targets and hit the ramp. The ball then gets diverted to the backboard area and the magnet (mist effect) cares the ball to the little mini stage/playfield behind the Starchild figure and drops down that hole.
Again just a guess based on pics.

But levitating ball is only on the LE/Prem. The feature Pinballer07 is asking about is check marked on all three version on the main attractions section of the feature matrix. The Pro doesn't have the diverter on the ramp either.

#563 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

But levitating ball is only on the LE/Prem. The feature Pinballer07 is asking about is check marked on all three version on the main attractions section of the feature matrix. The Pro doesn't have the diverter on the ramp either.

I'm not sure then. Maybe a mistake in the matrix.

#564 8 years ago

With 2x 3x bonus do you think they will go old school scoring?

#565 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I'm not sure then. Maybe a mistake in the matrix.

According to Pinball News: The Starchild (Paul) enclosed area features four S-T-A-R targets and - on the Premium and LE versions - a controlled drop target to reveal a hidden saucer.

Maybe the hidden saucer is not so "hidden" on the Pro? Or maybe you are correct about a mistake in the matrix.

#566 8 years ago

Hmm! I thought that the single drop target was for the pro, instead of the floating mechanism.

I guess we will find out in a few weeks

This bit is also off I believe: "The amplifier and action model are also LE-specific features"

In the matrix was there not an amplifier and a (non moving) action figure for the pro also?

I must admit that I am a bit confused.

#567 8 years ago

Do we know when the Pros start shipping?

#568 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

With 2x 3x bonus do you think they will go old school scoring?

How badass would it be if you have to TILT so you don't roll the game over at 999,996 ????

#569 8 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

Do we know when the Pros start shipping?

Late June. I'm in.

#571 8 years ago

I was told pros are first for the end of may, early june.

Then LEs mid/end of june.

#572 8 years ago

Late May or early June would be great, but not what I was told. It's usually about a month after announcement that games start to show up.

#573 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You know, I could quibble over a lot of things on the art. But I'm not going to, because I think Stern is awesome for going back to Kevin O'Connor, going full on hand drawn art, and capturing the vibe of the original table. It's cool that they were willing to do that, even though it was a Bally game.
I also think that whatever issues it has, it does make a great complete package when you see it all together. Looking forward to checking it out in person. Stern gets an A. If this is a bar that another game can try and top then we're in a good place.
No art can make a game without code good though, so that's really the question I have. It looks like it shoots well, and Borg is a great designer, but how are the rules?

Good thought Aurich and I agree to an extent. I am not calling out Stern, rather sending a message to Kevin O'Connor that his art has gotten worse since 78'. I love the art on the 78' machine, it is amazing in every way and still holds up. This latest job was thrown together.

#574 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Pinball browser will likely not work with this game since it is expected to be a Spike system game.

I thought about that right after posting. Rats. Pardon my language.

#575 8 years ago

Damn it Stern, you're killing me!

When I first heard the rumor of a Kiss pin being made, I thought I would pass. I like some of their songs, but just not a big fan (although they do remind me of my teenage years. I mean, who didn't want the Kiss comic made from their blood that was injected in the comic ink??)

At first music pins didn't excite me, but I finally bent and got the AC/DC premium. Afterwards, I thought " should I have got the MET pin instead" because I loved the toys. Ended up getting a MET premium and love it just as much, if not more, than the AC/DC. I passed on it initially because I wasn't a fan of Metallica's music as well, but damn that pin is a blast to play. I felt so foolish passing on it earlier because of the music. So now, here comes Kiss. Same story, different pin. I gotta admit. I love this art package, along with the toys and gimmicks on this one. Just standing by on the shore to see how this one pans out, but I would be lying to you if I didn't have a shaky hand on my checkbook with a check waiting to be written out to Stern.

Just curious. Any ideas on how the animated figure works? Will it move around like the Elvis figure, or rotate around like the BBB dancer. I can't wait to see a gameplay video on this one! Gotta admit this one will look sweet right between the "other two" rock heavy hitters of Stern.

#576 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Good thought Aurich and I agree to an extent. I am not calling out Stern, rather sending a message to Kevin O'Connor that his art has gotten worse since 78'. I love the art on the 78' machine, it is amazing in every way and still holds up. This latest job was thrown together.

Be aware Kevin's art is a great and tight as always. If you have any gripe, its with the process when the original art is then inked and colored with a computer versus having a real artist do it.

Case in point - look at all the reproduction comic books that have old stories "re-touched" with computer black lining and coloring. If you look at the original old comic books, the art is tight and detailed. For example, Marvel's 1970's Tomb of Dracula series. Front page credits are for an artist, inker, and colorist and Gene Colon/Tom Palmer pages are masterpieces.

As soon as you see the reproduction of these comics - and no disrespect to the computer folks - with original art now "re-inked and colored" via computer program, it looses, IMHO, all the warmth, detail, and greatness.

I suspect Kevin's art is spot on just as you desire as with the 1978 machine, but its the later computer inking and coloring that has an effect to not feel/look the same as might want. To blame Kevin on his current artistic skill is unfair an inaccurate.

IMHO...

#577 8 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

If you look closely at this pic, you can see a saucer just below Paul's legs.

2.jpg_thumb.png2.jpg_thumb.png
#578 8 years ago

One last thing. LOL. I almost bought a Nightmare on Elm Street because I thought it was cool how that Freddy head worked on the pin. After all, I loved my FH when I had it and have a RS glued to my gameroom floor. The Gene Simmons head looks just like him and it seems to be incorporated into the play of the pin. Hats off to you Stern on this toy. Can't wait to see how it works!

#579 8 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Be aware Kevin's art is a great and tight as always. If you have any gripe, its with the process when the original art is then inked and colored with a computer versus having a real artist do it.
Case in point - look at all the reproduction comic books that have old stories "re-touched" with computer black lining and coloring. If you look at the original old comic books, the art is tight and detailed. For example, Marvel's 1970's Tomb of Dracula series. Front page credits are for an artist, inker, and colorist and Gene Colon/Tom Palmer pages are masterpieces.
As soon as you see the reproduction of these comics - and no disrespect to the computer folks - with original art now "re-inked and colored" via computer program, is looses, IMHO, all the warmth, detail, and greatness.
I suspect Kevin's art is spot on just as you desire as with the 1978 machine, but its the later computer inking and coloring that has an effect to not feel/look the same as might want. To blame Kevin on his current artistic skill is unfair an inaccurate.
IMHO...

I completely understand what you are speaking about as it relates to comics, but I am stating that the line art is flawed. This is all Kevin. Again, he would have flunked the figure drawing classes I took in college and high school if he handed this in as his work.

#580 8 years ago

I don't like how the pro has the guitar doll on the left but no amp

To me the amp is cooler than a GI Joe blocking my view of whatever is in that area behind & under him.

I will say the amp is an after thought however. This assumption of mine is based on the plastics having art/wording that's covered up on the premium/LE

#581 8 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I don't like how the pro has the guitar doll on the left but no amp
To me the amp is cooler than a GI Joe blocking my view of whatever is in that area behind & under him.

God...so bad looking.

#582 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

God...so bad looking.

I see myself buying this game eventually

Odds are no matter what version I get the gothic JEM doll will be completely removed & an amp will be mounted in the left corner somewhere/how.

Edit: Left corner

#583 8 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

Does the $2000 price difference between the Pro and the LE seem worth it? The ability to see the ball hover across the back is cool as hell, but I'm not sure it's $2000 cool as hell. I'm going to place an order, but wanted some feedback from you all.
$_12.jpg

With the $2000 you save by buying a pro you could buy an entire Bram Stoker's Dracula machine, watch the ball float across the playfield, and take shots at it while it does so. Dracula kind of looks like he could be in Kiss with some makeup, so break out some fingernail polish and draw some patterns on his face and you've got 2 KISS machines, Bram Stoker's KISS and Stern's KISS Pro.

#584 8 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I see myself buying this game eventually
Odds are no matter what version I get the gothic JEM doll will be completely removed & an amp will be mounted in the right corner somewhere/how.

If it's good I'll buy it, owning somehting with KISS is just as wacky for me as Met.

It's snap that doll off the second I unbox it.

#585 8 years ago
Tomb_of_Dracula_1.jpgTomb_of_Dracula_1.jpg 1144103.jpg1144103.jpg
#586 8 years ago

TDK77 is absolutely right. This has nothing to do with using the computer. The computer's just a tool - the computer doesn't make you forget how to draw limbs in perspective or dynamic poses.

Look at the hand holding the drumstick 'toward camera'....this is just a poor drawing. The arm should look like it's coming at you, the hand and stick should be bigger. He looks like he doesn't have a forearm...as if the hand is connected to the elbow. Bad_arm.jpgBad_arm.jpg

Same with Starchild on the playfield. Look at that hand and arm. The hand in the "foreground" is the same size as the one holding the guitar. The arm itself makes ZERO sense. Aagain it looks like he just has an upper arm with a hand on the elbow like some kind of deformity. Catman's arm holding the drumstick is way too short. Look at the proportions of the arm on the Spaceman in front of him...then look at Catman's arm.PF_art.jpgPF_art.jpg

This is just a stiff weird pose of Gene....again, this is just a drawing - a computer doesn't make stiff drawings.

Stiff_gene.jpgStiff_gene.jpg

#587 8 years ago

Does anyone know when the Kiss LE's are shipping?
Automated says August on their website, and they are usually one of the first distributors to get stock.
What are other distributors saying?

2015-05-07-20-37-32.png2015-05-07-20-37-32.png
#588 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

TDK77 is absolutely right. This has nothing to do with using the computer. The computer's just a tool - the computer doesn't make you forget how to draw limbs in perspective or dynamic poses.
Look at the hand holding the drumstick 'toward camera'....this is just a poor drawing. The arm should look like it's coming at you, the hand and stick should be bigger. He looks like he doesn't have a forearm...as if the hand is connected to the elbow. Bad_arm.jpg
Same with Starchild on the playfield. Look at that hand and arm. The hand in the "foreground" is the same size as the one holding the guitar. The arm itself makes ZERO sense. Aagain it looks like he just has an upper arm with a hand on the elbow like some kind of deformity. Catman's arm holding the drumstick is way too short. Look at the proportions of the arm on the Spaceman in front of him...then look at Catman's arm.PF_art.jpg
This is just a stiff weird pose of Gene....again, this is just a drawing - a computer doesn't make stiff drawings. Stiff_gene.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Really, this is what you have to gripe about. This is some of the best art on a pin in recent history period.

#589 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

If you look closely at this pic, you can see a saucer just below Paul's legs.

2.jpg_thumb.png (Click image to enlarge)

Nice Catch! I see it now.

#590 8 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Does anyone know when the Kiss LE's are shipping?
Automated says August on their website, and they are usually one of the first distributors to get stock.
What are other distributors saying?

2015-05-07-20-37-32.png (Click image to enlarge)

Late June I am hearing but could always be later.

#591 8 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

Really, this is what you have to gripe about. This is some of the best art on a pin in recent history period.

Agreed! Artwork is still better than 97% of Stern's other games. Reminds me of the guys that say Megan Fox isn't hot because she has clubbed thumbs I kind of like when their are small flaws and things to look at... Anybody ever check out the dude on the Paragon backglass? He's got no neck and body looks out of proportion but yet it's still one of my favorite pinball art pieces!

paraglass16.jpgparaglass16.jpg
#592 8 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Are you going to order 2?

Ha. Just 1.

#593 8 years ago

Angus' face wasn't exactly drawn by Rembrandt and the ACDC game sold fine

#594 8 years ago

Sorry, the art is absolutely perfect.....comic book/action figures from 1978, its killer.

#595 8 years ago

Okay, but I still think there is something lost when the computers and art come into player versus hand drawn/hand colored/hand inked images.

I miss Frank Frazetta...

Frank Frazetta (Gargoyle HD).jpgFrank Frazetta (Gargoyle HD).jpg
#596 8 years ago

is this true ???????

Looks like you would get some wicked air balls off the tip of that tongue if this was true. I hope it works this way tho but I do not see how it could.

#597 8 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

It's great art for the theme...fit its it perfectly. That doesn't mean it's drawn well by normal artistic standards. I'm very happy Stern went this route...I just think the artist could have drawn better arms and hands. He's totally capable of it. It's not going to deter any Kiss fans from enjoying it....but I can't NOT see it.

I'm no comic book style artist...but this is the type of note I would have given to help improve this pose:

arm_note.jpgarm_note.jpg Bad_arm.jpgBad_arm.jpg
#598 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

Looks like you would get some wicked air balls off the tip of that tongue if this was true. I hope it works this way tho but I do not see how it could.

Agreed. I don't see how this can be true. Some other things I noticed from watching the video:

1. In theory the star area of the playfield can capture 2 balls. One behind the drop and one in the saucer. Maybe the floating ball will be the start of a 3 ball multiball.

2. Looks like at least some of the dots are going to be processed images: Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 7.27.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-05-07 at 7.27.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-05-07 at 7.27.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-05-07 at 7.27.42 PM.png

3. I REALLY hope that the right orbit doesn't wind up in the pops.

#599 8 years ago

Is it just me or is this possibly one of the best received launches to date?

90% of the comments are praise/interest

MET & TWD didn't even get this much appreciation IIRC

#600 8 years ago

Okay, but I still think there is something lost when the computers and art come into player versus hand drawn/hand colored/hand inked images.

This is just nonsense, sorry. Tools are tools. There are always lazy ways to do things, and computers just allow you to be lazier. There's nothing inherently wrong with coloring on a computer.

That Dracula image you posted is purely about stylistic choices. The inking and coloring on the first version would have been child's play on a computer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-kiss-kinda-based-on-the-1978-bally-machine/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.