(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 85 votes
      12%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(682 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 37 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#156 2 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Sorry, have to jump in here. I wish Heighway nothing but success with Alien. But went to the Expo unveil at Twin Peaks and they barely had the games working - in fact we were there for over an hour and saw 2 minutes of gameplay because couldn't get to work. At their own party!! I heard later in the evening and at Expo people saw them working.
    So while I'm hoping its turns out great, lets be careful talking "well made" and Alien in same breadth until proven.

Yeah an that bm66 played so well... Lol

Actually the PROTOTYPE aliens played just fine on sat and sunday at expo. Full throttle is also the best built new machine i have seen in the past few years. Extremely well made and well thought out engineering also.

#366 2 years ago

Lyman leaving stern? Ritchie retiring?

#426 2 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

At Expo George and Gary specifically pointed out that they choose their LCD size so that the backbox art would still be there and be prominent.

those 2 are salesmen.

Reality is they knew they were WAY behind on leaving dots for color LCD, they wanted to specifically avoid the direct comparison to JJP and Heighway as much as possible (since they will fail in that comparison), wanted to shave costs by using a smaller LCD display, and decided the best thing was to spin it as "backbox art is important"

You gotta look through their hype for the reality most of the time.

#443 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

One thing to consider is their LCD is going in all models, including their Pro, which none of their competitors try to match on price. If their LCD is inferior to others, its because of maintaining the Pro line.

LCD cost pennies now-a-days and even Stern admits that. There is supposed extra cost in the people making the images, but in talking with those in the know dots took more time then LCD images do. Just a different skill set.

Other manufacturers offer a PRO model that is full featured with nothing taken out. It is those other items that likely bump the 'pro' / standard/ whatever it is called model.

Reality is that if Stern is trying for 5k or now the rumored price fixing at 5300 for a Pro then things like a full featured JJP standard, Spooky regular, or Heighway regular are in the same price realm for an actual and complete game.

#444 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

R u guys for real? Prices increase on most items every year from food to electricity so on and so on and all of these factors play a role in the increased pricing of manufactured goods and a lot of other areas, I would agree prices are too high but to make it out like ur some victim when you don't have to buy pins is really stupid, priced out then find a new hobby. Jesus am I the only one that can see whats happening here, these guys know this won't last and are capitalizing, same thing in the used market, 3 to 4K for a Shadow, WTF? don't buy anything, its quite simple.

agreed that Stern is pushing as hard and fast as they can as they see the cliff is coming.

The problem people have with price is less about the increased price and more about the RATE of the increase combined with the decreased value of the product (i.e. QC, failing pfs, pealing decals, unfinished and increasingly buggy code).

#446 2 years ago

well yes... those statements are not in opposition.

Small LCDs cost little.

Smaller LCDs cost even less.

Let's not forget that Stern went to cheaper quality screws to shave fractions of pennies per game. It all adds up and they continually push the limits of how much they can cut from a game.

#555 2 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Confirmed by JJ at Gex. Floor is being raised across the board, including dealer stock

more reason to just say NO!

#683 2 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I'm now working for a pinball company

congrats! must be awesome!

i know I am pumped to have the head of competitive pinball/ IFPA now working at a pinball company!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    € 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 28.95
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,700.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Flipper Room
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 30.00
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside