(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 85 votes
      12%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(682 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 37 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#173 3 years ago

I was interested in BM66 but passed. For now, I think Dialed In will be getting my NIB 2017 bucks anyway.

#271 3 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Isoquants and Isocosts. I would bet that Stern has not only "looked at the market", but made graphs, projections, and a whole lot of pretty charts showing that this is the way to profit.
    Companies make decisions on one thing and one thing alone, dollar signs.
    No decision is a blind guess. It's all based in cold hard data.

No doubt. That said, it is not long term thinking. They will only grow the market with good entry point pricing to start/entice new collectors coming in. Maybe I'm wrong and their home model spider man for $3,800 will attract entree level people...maybe.

#272 3 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

People asked for a $4,000 game. Spider Man Home Edition is what $4,000 worth of game gets you. From what I hear, the $4,000-ish HomePin early reception is that it feels cheap too. In allllllllllll my other hobbies there's a familiar saying - "you get what you pay for". I'm not surprised the budget games feels like budget games.

That's the problem, the $4,000"ish" game three years ago was a Metallica Pro or Star Trek Pro (okay, $4,300...but close enough).

I've not played the Pin 2.0 (it looks cool) but can say it can't be as good of a game as Met Pro or Star Trek pro or Iron Man VE.

#275 3 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

Stern has kept this game alive for the past few years and they deserve some ******* respect for doing so.

I hear you and do respect Stern on many levels. That said at that some point they need to respect the customer base to though, I don't feel valued by them right now.

#370 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Lyman leaving stern? Ritchie retiring?

By the inferences being made I'd assume some kind of personal issue between the two...just reading between the lines of what a few are saying.

#431 2 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Agree. You can throw in TWD, IM, MET into that mix... hell, Mustang is well coded game.

Iron Man has fun code but it needs a polish. It does not belong in the same catagory as TWD or Met (and I own all three games).

#478 2 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Can you please elaborate.....what needs to be done to IM...?...it gets my quarters(dollars) 100% of the time when I play location....Thank you.............Joey

Needs a real skill shot. Do or die multi ball needs to be made somewhat attainable. Needs work on the multi ball. Just minor stuff but it needs it.

#485 2 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Those things would make it better......but it doesn't need them. As is it's one of my all time favorites.

The do or die multiball is the biggest problem. I've never even seen it; it is not attainable except for the literally the upper upper echelon of player (top 100 quality player).

#490 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

...and most have never been to Sperm Attack on FGY, Super Duper Uber Whatever Wizard on TSPP, Encore on AC/DC....nothing wrong with that if the game is awesome.

I've been to Sperm Attack on FGY, twice. Totally different level of player needed for Do or Die Multiball. Same with Valinor on LOTR's. You can just increase the number of balls to five on LOTR's and a solid player that knows the game will eventually get to Valinor with a couple dozen attempts. That just won't happen on IM with Do or Die MB...

Anyway, why not just adjust the settings to reduce the number of drones you need? That's the big problem on IM...if someone likes it the way it is and never wants to see the mode they can leave the settings alone, but give us mere mortals an option to reduce the number of drones we need...or some other adjustment.

#493 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I love my IM. I probably play it the most out of all my games. But I can't imagine Stern taking the time to crack it open and update it. From a business perspective updating that might make 20 people that care happier, and would piss off WAY more than that who are rightfully bitching about things like cities in KISS. Updating IM would make other customers even madder. That is the bigger impediment.

It would show people that Stern will still support a game even six years after release (if it's still been in recent production and sold well) and want to deliver a high quality product. This doesn't hurt them, it's just a minor polish.

Obviously I agree Kiss is a bigger priority but that doesn't mean spending a day on IM code to get tiny tweeks in is a bad business move. Just my two cents.

#518 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

He and I did get to Valinor, but on a pin that had a loose tilt and the outlane posts in the most closed position. But even with those settings, it took me almost a year to get there.

How many times have you or ESKB been to DoDMB?

#525 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Completely irrelevant to the part of your post that I disagreed with.

Not at all. My point is DoDMB is a different level of challenge than the others identified by Rare Hero (I have no idea about TSPP).

Put a top 500 IFPA player on LOTRs on five balls and take the 40 hours it'll take to watch them play a couple dozen games and see how deep they get. Wizard on LOTRs is not a unicorn, many people do get there, DoDMB is a different story.

#548 2 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

Just because says the MSRP of a game went up doesnt mean the distributor will sell it for that price. With the exception of a high demand LE model who pays MSRP anyways?

Stern now mandates the floor the dealers can sell for and mandate that no add ons like a free shaker motor can be used as incentives (the floor is still below MSRP, so your point is not entirely incorrect but presumably the minimum sale price floor goes up with the MSRP increase).

#557 2 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

I dont see how thats gonna work with older titles that arent selling like WWE. Distibutors dont have unlimited warehouse space, when things dont sell the price has to come down.

Presumably the dealership agreement has clauses for what is considered dealer stock and what isn't and perhaps once a game goes out of production or X months after dealer purchase pass the item can be treated however the dealer wants subject to warranty requirements.

#563 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

This is sad... it means seeing new titles at TPF'2017 (pinball shows) is going to be a challenge. Even more so as this pricing continues.

Just so I understand the point you are making: it will be a bigger challenge because the local distributors that normally bring the games will be less inclined to bring and unbox them at the shows since they will cost more and are become a higher dollar item?

#568 2 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Where I am located, a players TAF was $3k 4 years ago. It is now $6K for a players TAF. If you can find one.

Your numbers you are using are all in US dollars right?

#570 2 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

The point I was making was that the used market has increased as much if not more than NIB.

I agree. It's even more extreme with the pre dmd solid states. Several games have just blasted off like Fathom and doubled in price.

#573 2 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

So what happens when NIB prices crash?
    I can't wait.

Sadly I think that will result in a wipe out of the manufacturers (most of them anyway), none of us know what Stern's margins might be but I'm guessing they are not as high as many may feel they are (at least on pro models). Would Stern stay around if they had to make pros for $1,000 less retail?

#600 2 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Looks like the recent NIB boom is about to slow way down sometime in 2017?

I think we have another year or two of the pin boom. Pinball will have a bigger problem when there is an economic crisis in the US and thus far it looks like 2017 will be a pretty good year (granted that can change quickly).

#639 2 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

JJP has removed the headphone jack' invisiglass and powder coating from $8000 game

And the lit ramps as I understood the matrix.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 104.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 35.00
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    The Flipper Room
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 92.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.95
    $ 9.50
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside