(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 85 votes
      12%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(682 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 37 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#215 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Based on the current poll results, Stern has a serious issue here going into 2017.

Not necessarily.

If I had a dime for every time a poll/thread like this was done over the last several years, with people promising that they will no longer buy a NIB Stern (for dozens of different reasons in addition to price) I'd be a very rich man.

I am willing to bet that the percentage of people who voted that they will not buy a NIB Stern, who actually *will* buy a NIB Stern, is extremely high.

People have been bitching about price increases on Pinside forever. Yet, we have more pinball manufacturer's than ever, and prices are as high as ever.

#222 2 years ago

I'm sure it will come as a big shock to Stern that people don't like price increases.

#224 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

The pricing would be easier to swallow if the quality and attention to detail were there.

Yeah, I've never heard that one before.

It's like Deja Vu all over again.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Etc. etc. etc.

#350 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If he continues with his current trends, it will have no good toys, bad photoshop art, gaudy colors, and no characters on the playfield. When it's announced, people will go "hmmm that Data East one sure is a looker"

......and no Lyman on code.

#351 2 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

The number of KISS sales to the KISS army is highly dissappointing. You'd expect Stern to be cranking out KISS games for years to meet the demand, but apparently the demand isn't there. So why would it be different for Star Wars?

Because KISS is a terrible theme to most pinheads and Star Wars isn't?

#352 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Funny thing is Stern's $15K BM66 SLE doesn't even have Invisiglass on it lol

Why would Stern put a competitor's product on their pin?

#359 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Well, you know what I meant.. lol.. and why does a competitor have a superior piece of playfield glass than Stern? You would think Stern would come out with a competing product themselves, especially if they are selling pins for JJP prices and even up to $15K. I can't own a pin w/o Invisiglass anymore.. that's just stupid to spend $15K on a machine and it comes with some plain ass $2 glass that comes on their Spiderman Home edition POS

Be careful what you ask for my friend! That sweet ass BM66 SLE would be even more than $15k if Stern has it's own anti-glare glass on it.

#361 2 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Last Lyman / Ritchie game? AC/DC? Dammit I am gonna buy it.

Yes, and from the rumors they won't be working together again any time soon if ever.

#384 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

the whole market is propped up on fluff right now..

It's been that way for a long time now too.

#409 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Quite staggering that people are paying these prices for a cheap plastic translite.
    If you really are celebrating 30 years of pinball, a real backglass honors pinball history more than anything else.
    Wow, $15000 and no backglass.
    Wow.

This shouldn't be surprising for numerous reasons, including the fact that people who bought pins like STLE swore that they had a true backglass, even after looking at it closely. If most people can't even tell the difference, why bother with a real backglass?

Stern's new process for the translite (or whatever they are calling it these days) is much better than it used to be.

#465 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Iron Man has fun code but it needs a polish. It does not belong in the same catagory as TWD or Met (and I own all three games).

IM code is superb for what it is. Obviously nowhere near the depth and nuance of pins like TWD etc., and I agree that there are some things that should be polished, but code on IM is one of those things that transcends it's relatively simple appearance.

#467 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Can anyone speculate the cost of materials for Stern to build a Premium version of a pin?

You can speculate about anything.

End the end, though, that's exactly what it is: pure speculation. This seems particularly true when it comes to manufacturing pinball machines. From what I hear, making pinball is hard.

#505 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I've been to Sperm Attack on FGY, twice. Totally different level of player needed for Do or Die Multiball. Same with Valinor on LOTR's. You can just increase the number of balls to five on LOTR's and a solid player that knows the game will eventually get to Valinor with a couple dozen attempts.

Huh?

Sorry, I have to completely disagree with this. Increasing the number of balls to 5 on LOTR means that a solid player will get to Valinor with a couple dozen attempts?! Really?

I don't think so. Not even close. Makes me wonder how familiar you really are with this pin?

#511 2 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Had LOTR for eight years and single games the lasted up to two hours......never got there.

Exactly.

Eskaybee is one of the best players that I know. He had his LOTR for 7 years. I think he got down to the last shot to start Valinor twice and he drained both times.

He and I did get to Valinor, but on a pin that had a loose tilt and the outlane posts in the most closed position. But even with those settings, it took me almost a year to get there.

#524 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

How many times have you or ESKB been to DoDMB?

Completely irrelevant to the part of your post that I disagreed with.

#596 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Thanks for letting us know your limits. It makes the thread less stupid.

I literally laughed out loud!

#609 2 years ago

People have been speculating about people "cashing out" ever since I first got into the hobby. Hasn't happened on a large scale yet, no reason to think it's going to happen any time soon.

If it does, that's fine with me, as a big supply of pins will drive the prices down.

#670 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is it me or am I the only who thinks pulp fiction wouldn't be a good pin? (And I'm a fan of the movie)

I think it would be awesome. Foot Massage Multiball, Zed's Dead, 5 Dollar Milkshake, Pot Belly, Say What Again! Big Kahuna Burger, etc.

This would have to be a pin for adults with all of the F bombs in tact, and actual call outs from the movie are an absolute must.

#676 2 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Just like the call outs from the Walking Dead were a must?

No. Call outs directly from TWD sure would have been nice, especially compared to what's there, but would be nowhere close to as important as they would be with Pulp Fiction in my opinion.

Pulp Fiction is one of the most quotable films of all time. The dialogue is what makes the movie great. The same can't be said for TWD.

I always said I'd prefer a more general zombie themed pin vs one based on TWD anyway, so not having call outs from the show isn't that huge of a deal (although it makes you wonder why they even bothered getting the license).

1 week later
    #722 2 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Now if Mr. Ritchie would spend less time at Stern or Heighway or Spooky or wherever the heck he's designing Pulp Fiction, his next game for Raw is hitting the production line in 3 weeks.

You have denied Mark Ritchie's involvement with a Pulp Fiction pin so many times now that I'm actually starting to believe that there is truth to the rumor!

#741 2 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

$200 doesn't seem like much.. It's more about the total amount of increments in the last 2 years that hurts.

Exactly.

I paid $6200.00 (shipped) for my TWD Premium. This was in May of 2015. I was also quoted $4700.00 shipped for TWD pro.

So Aerosmith pro looks like it will be about $500.00 more than TWD was a little more than a year and half ago. And the premium is about $800.00 more than I paid for my TWD premium.

Still, all things considered, Aerosmith pro looks to be one of the better values in pinball. It's still going to be about $4k less than Dialed In LE for example.

#768 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It's not yet another $200, it's the total price. People were paying $4400 for Pros not too long ago, and now they're $5200.
    Either you get that and care or you don't, but dismissing it doesn't mean anything to the people who are feeling that wallet hit. Maybe your job is killing it with the year over year % increases in salary, I doubt it's keeping pace with what Stern is doing. If so then good for you, you're a baller.
    Maybe you have money and just have a limit for what a toy should cost you. It's a personal thing, you can't scold people for setting up a threshold. If you're constantly letting it shift up a couple hundred bucks then it's really not any kind of limit.

But Aurich, Gary said that this is the first price increase in 2 1/2 years!

From the Aerosmith thread:

Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Gary Stern email received via our distributor:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Ladies & Gentlemen,
    Today at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas we are introducing our next "Cornerstone" game, Aerosmith, based on the classic, high energy rock band and its music. We will exhibit to the Electronics industry our Spike 2 system with our new high definition LCD display. We are also exhibiting "Everything Pinball" including Batman, PBR private label pinball, smart phone and other digital Stern pinballs, Oculus virtual reality pinball and more.
    Aerosmith pinball will be available in Pro, Premium and Limited Edition models. We will build only 500 LE's.
    This game utilizes our new high definition display with custom animated content. Unique and new mechanical features include a "Jacky in the Box" toy box into which balls are thrown through the air and locked for multiball and the "Love in an Elevator" toy. An upper playfield is among the features distinguishing the LE and Premium models from the Pro.
    We have again drafted Dirty Donny to provide art for the various Aerosmith models. All models use some color changing RGB LED lighting. Players can choose between 9 Aerosmith performed songs.
    To learn more, please see the attached photographs and read the attached comparative features matrix. You can also watch a video of Aerosmith pinball at https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7b8wqzanesr8p1/1080p.mov?dl=0

We have announced a price increase, our first in 2 ½ years.

We have or will soon discuss the pricing with you. We continue our LE game policies, requiring $2,000 deposit and thereafter full price prepayment . The charge to claim specific numbers 2-9 and numbers over 10 are unchanged.
    We will begin production of Aerosmith Pro around the middle of January, starting with export deliveries. Limited Edition production will be a month later, followed thereafter by Premium.
    We ended 2016 with very little game inventory. In January we will produce to fill both backorders and new orders for Batman Premium, Ghostbusters Premium, and Spiderman VE. In February we will make more of our great earning Ghostbusters Pro. We have a very few Metallica Monsters, Whoa Nellie and WWE.
    Please review the attached Aerosmith pinball material. We will soon contact you for opening orders.
    Best regards,
    Gary

Edit: Dr.Willy beat me, I missed his post.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 14.00
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 49.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 9,500.00
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Forever
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 109.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 149.00
    $ 25.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside