(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 85 votes
      12%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(682 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 37 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#58 2 years ago

This has been a boiling pot for a while now - going back to Transformers with its "roadblock" code issue and the year it took to solve it - then we had ACDC LE with cloudy window and simple code (which thankfully got fixed after about 6 months), X-Men with the worst code ever and multiple design and engineering issues, Metallica with base code and design issues (thankfully fixed)...and on and on...WWE, Kiss, ST, and up through GB. All these games have had problems yet the prices keep going up.

STLE was my breaking point - when 8 months had passed and the asteroid flashers weren't coded yet, I was told "who cares, regular players don't notice that stuff". That's no excuse for extra features to NOT BE CODED. If you don't want to code the extra features, don't include them!!!! Sold it, don't miss it.

Even though "I know the drill" by now, I was in on Ghostbusters due to dream theme factor...and as usual - they fucked it up! Horrible, untested design problems, code issues, bugs, and then "Insertgate". Logic dictates that the game sucking should have been enough to cancel my order, but logic isn't our strong suit sometimes....the ghosting inserts was finally the "final straw" that made me get a refund...and now I'm officially done. I won't buy a NIB pre-launch from ANYONE at this point. Seriously - NONE of these companies have their shit together.

JJP is the closest, at the moment. I have a lot of respect for them for putting a bunch of Dialed Ins out on test locations. They'll be able to learn a lot from that and make the production games way more trouble free than the way Stern does things.

#247 2 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Just biding time for eventual closeouts from a variety of sources.

Sweet! My first NIB was a closeout Wheel of Fortune for $2450! BRING IT ON!!!!

#255 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Is there no possible way to inspect a game before taking delivery of a NIB? Honest question...

Only if you're buying from a local dealer or showroom. Many of us order from distributors from other states - so, for us - nope. We get what we get when we open the box.

#281 2 years ago
    Quoted from Brickshot:

Right, right, right. Of course, Stern is the same company who looked at the market and is now on their THIRD attempt at a cheap home version of a pinball machine (ie. The Pin, now SM) in the 2-4k range and it's not still not getting a warm reception.

Third?

1. Costco Batman "Standard": Real cabinet, minimized features...the proto "Pro"

2. Iron Man "Classic": Cheaper MDF cabinet, minimized features

3. Transformers & Avengers "The Pin": Smaller, cheaper, one speaker, alpha numeric display, not serviceable.

4. The Pin 2.0: Redesign of the same concept

We're on #5!

#314 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

There are Star Wars collectors that pay big money for all sorts of merchandise and collectables. They collect everything from candy bars, expensive maquettes to life size statues worth more than a pinball machine.

If that passion transferred to pinball, then the 4 existing SW pinballs should be worth well more than they are, due to collectors snatching them up for theme alone...however, those games don't sell for unrealistic prices - so, why would they rush out for the new one at $10k
    or whatever? Star Wars fans aren't starved for gaming based on their franchise. They don't "need" a pinball. They've got a million video games to keep them entertained.

#315 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Ritchie plus Starr Wars equals NIB for me.

If he continues with his current trends, it will have no good toys, bad photoshop art, gaudy colors, and no characters on the playfield. When it's announced, people will go "hmmm that Data East one sure is a looker"

#488 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Needs a real skill shot. Do or die multi ball needs to be made somewhat attainable. Needs work on the multi ball. Just minor stuff but it needs it.

That's just like...your opinion, man. Iron Man is a masterpiece of "simple" coding with excellent nuance and challenge. It doesn't "need" anything. There's a reason demand went up & it back into production...that doesn't happen to games with code that "need work". Some games have simple skill shots...it's no big whoop. Most people who play pinball don't even remotely care about skill shots - they just plunge and go. I've had LOTR since 2008 and haven't been to Valinor...does it need an update to make it "attainable"? No. If a game is fun enough and has enough stuff to do, and the logic all ties together nicely - and there's ONE thing that's really really really hard to get to...that's absolutely acceptable.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

The do or die multiball is the biggest problem. I've never even seen it; it is not attainable except for the literally the upper upper echelon of player (top 100 quality player).

...and most have never been to Sperm Attack on FGY, Super Duper Uber Whatever Wizard on TSPP, Encore on AC/DC....nothing wrong with that if the game is awesome.

#503 2 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

It would show people that Stern will still support a game even six years after release (if it's still been in recent production and sold well) and want to deliver a high quality product. This doesn't hurt them, it's just a minor polish.
    Obviously I agree Kiss is a bigger priority but that doesn't mean spending a day on IM code to get tiny tweeks in is a bad business move. Just my two cents.

They have so many games right now that are fundamentally broken, full of bugs or missing features ...Iron Man is solid and complete. Those other games problems are much higher priority than "issues" like a skill shot you don't like or a wizard mode you can't reach.

#543 2 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

Get your games before the new year guys

No.

The most "recent" Stern game in my collection now is Metallica: Master of Puppets LE...it was $6800 shipped, NIB. Nothing they've made since has been as good...and while that game had design and code growing pains, it has since become a masterpiece. I don't think anything they've done since then can claim that. So - no, I won't buy inferior games at inflated prices before the prices inflate again.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I had read that existing titles in distributor's inventory, will be going up in price because of Stern.
    It would be cruel if Wrestlemania was subjected to this.

LOL, that makes sense...Wrestlemania's that weren't selling will go from not selling to...not selling?

#564 2 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

People say they're not going to buy anymore but tons of people in this thread have Ghostbusters when all of these issues have been going on for 5+ years. I don't believe that people aren't going to keep buying when Star Wars comes out...unfinished code, high priced, more cost cutting, etc won't matter, IT'S STAR WARS!!!! MUST HAVE NOW!!!!

GB was one of my all time dream themes, and even though it was tough, I cancelled my order and got a refund. If I can do it, SW fans can resist. Thankfully, I give zero fucks about SW, so for me it won't be an issue. I'd pass even if it was a great game.

#635 2 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

Did everybody tell jack no his first realese was 6500$ and now was at 9$k and now at 8k$? Just curious

To be fair, Jack is offering more for your money. Price is still too high, but compared to Stern - you can see why.

Widebody, shaker, Invisiglass, headphone jack, all inserts color changing, Mirco playfields, high quality powder coat, 27 inch HD LCD.

Stern is charging more for less, end of story.

#681 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is it me or am I the only who thinks pulp fiction wouldn't be a good pin? (And I'm a fan of the movie)

Well, the modes wouldn't be linear...so it's already got a leg up on GB....OOOOOOOOOOHHHH!!!

#689 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

People will just have to get used to taking a bigger hit when selling their NIB pin down the road.

That was always the case. Austin Powers, South Park, WPT, T3, Sopranos, Ripleys...we're all $2000 or less on the used market for the longest time, and that's when they were about $3500 new. So, if a $9000 NIB game is sold down the road for $7500, it's not unprecedented. And hey, let's face it ...it's still a chunk of change and not a huge loss for what was essentially "renting" a game for a while.

#709 2 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

For those who don't like Stern or JJP prices you only have collectors to blame newly listed on Pinside a $5000 FH and a $12'700 TOAN

Those are out of production units that have made their reputation over the course of decades. There's a difference between something naturally appreciating vs. selling a new product for "collector" prices out of the gate.

Collectors are paying $300+ for rare Sega Saturn discs ...does that mean the market for disc based games is $300? Imagine Sony reacting to that by selling PS4 games for $300....would never happen. Collector markets should not have a price impact on new products.

1 week later
    #742 2 years ago
    Quoted from comment23:

Just wait till pinball machines get DLC.

Already happened with CGC charging to "unlock" the MMR Color dots that were in the rom already.

#787 2 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Well maybe it's that I am newer than you in the hobby because I never knew a $4400 NIB pro.

Ah, too bad - just a few years ago the full featured games like Spider-Man were $3700 NIB. I think the Black Suit LE was $4500 or less Thooooose were the daaaaaays!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 149.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Haus
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.95
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 8,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside