(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 87 votes
      13%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(684 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pintucky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#124 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Is that the British spelling?

Laughed myself silly, and then again when I watched the YouTube!

Mike in Kentucky

#176 7 years ago

WARNING! GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION: Back in 2010, I was sitting on the john reading . . . (that's the graphic part! Ha!) . . . a Parade Magazine that is an insert in our local Sunday paper. There was a story about the collapse of the pinball industry and they featured Stern and how they may be on their last leg. The Avatar movie was recently out and I saw a picture of an Avatar pinball machine that Stern was producing. The interview with Gary gave the impression that all their hopes were on Avatar selling a lot of pins so as to save the company. Since I loved pinball as a youth, I found the story intriguing and felt bad for Stern. I wanted them to succeed so I could still play the pins out in the wild. Then, I threw the magazine in the wast basket.

Two days later when I was emptying the trash, I saw the magazine again and just had to take one more look at the picture of the Avatar pin. Suddenly, I thought to myself, "Now if every pinball enthusiast reads this article and a large majority of them would buy one, perhaps the pinball industry could be saved." And of course, Gary professed that his was the last company in American manufacturing pins. The author of the piece said, "Can pinball be saved by this Avatar pinball machine, or will it become extinct?" The bottom line to the story was if Avatar didn't really sell well, the death of pinball could come right after that release.

So . . . I decided to see how much they cost and when I found out I was astounded at how much the price was. I kept wrestling with myself about how could I possibly justify paying nearly $5,000 for a toy!!! But, since I was in my mid 60's, I thought what the heck. And that pin sure looked good! I became an excited kid again. I might just be buying the last pinball machine to ever be made in America. This is HISTORY! Plus, the backglass was in 3-D and the pin looked magnificent. That's when I made the decision to go for it, and that hopefully many more people would see this article and if a lot of people such as myself bought one, we all might COLLECTIVELY save this factory from closing. I had a two-fold mission: 1. To get me a nice new pin. 2. To know I might be helping save the pinball industry. I bought one and I must say it exceeded my expectations and I still have it. It has played flawlessly ever since and still looks pristine; like it is just fresh out of the box.

Now . . .to the subject matter of this thread. I love Stern pins and have had good luck with them. I have bought NIB Sterns: LOTR LE, Iron Man, TSPP, and a damned near new HUO The Walking Dead. Plus, many other pins such as WOZECLE and MMr. And as the old potato chip commercial said, you can't eat just one, and I began to buy pins frequently. I went nuts! I now have nearly $100,000 worth of pins in my Man Cave. I'd like to think I helped save pinball. But NOW . . . NOW I'm beginning to sour on the high costs of pins.

In summary, I have gone through a phase of 'thinking' I helped save Stern, to feeling like Stern is now being a bit ungrateful for the many of us who helped salvage this company. I can no longer justify forking over such large sums of money for a hobby and I cannot justify buying another new Stern pin.

This was a long-winded post but I am hoping some others out there did the same thing I did. Maybe they read that magazine (Did anyone else see it?) and jumped on board to ensure the Stern factory succeeded and we all helped save pinball. I have nothing else to offer, other than this bit of history of myself and my thinking I helped old Gary out by buying an Avatar. And look what that has got me now! GIGANTIC PRICES! Haaaaaaaaa!

Mike in Kentucky

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pintucky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-another-price-increase-tell-them-no?tu=pintucky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.