(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 87 votes
      13%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(684 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 7 years ago

Ive had to buy a lower grade health Insurance Because prices have gone up.
    Ive had to take a lower cost vacation, because of Price Increases.
    Ive started to take a tight look at food, because of increases.
    I have less coming in being retired, and only bought my first NIB, a couple years ago.
    It ends with GB.

I love Stern, and JJP, and all Games.....But this is a problem.

Used is where I am back to, and I dont mind at all.

But we have Global Cost Changes likely coming with the New administration,
    and Stern Raising again, means only those earning more will feel no issues with this....maybe.

Its time, and I hate to say this....maybe they can get some tax incentives, but time to move the factory.
    This Labor is from $3-$6 an hour just across the border, and trucking costs are minimal.

It is a way to get full featured Pros back with profit at $3995 and top of the line at $5995.

Homeowners and collectors would benefit.....How much would this mean to Route operators????

Time to start listening a bit to customers, and if it stays status quo, data mine your customers for Toys and features.

Many of us, as independents, would love to see a toy idea or Proto, make it into a game.

Not every game needs to be over the top to be fun.....Iron Man, to me, is a perfect example.

I know its a bottom line deal, but its time to look at Labor costs, efficiency, and anything and everything else to squeeze out the profits needed, without the easiest method...simply raising prices.

I feel bad for the Hobby about this....How cool to be back at $3K HUO after a few years...??

That, to me, is how you grow the Hobby with New Blood.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Lets hope you're not having to cut corners in the kush department.

My Meds are thankfully safe! Those costs have dropped in half!

#69 7 years ago

Yikes! Some down votes....Im guessing you dont want the assembly to move out of country?

Yet, many parts are made there, or even an Alien Pin is OK, and made outside US....?

#75 7 years ago

In both our cases, these are assumptions.

I would think many of our consumer products have dropped in retail price point due to global production.

I appreciate the vote of "delusional", when everything else in the market place shows otherwise.

Sure, Im a Nationalist, and want everything made in the US.

Im addressing a method that might work with this thread....maintaining profits, without raising prices.

One method is labor costs.

Paying workers a decent wage shouldnt be a negative, of course, so Im guessing the price increases are OK
    by you?

I can respect that position.....or welcome another thought on how to see quality improve, while seeing MSRP drop.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

If a company can outsource the manufacturing they are doing it for profit, not for the buyers' benefit.

I would hope they are doing it for both...wouldnt you?

Either better availability, newer innovation, higher quality, or lower price......arent these the demands of a Consumer
    Market?

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

So do you think changing the labor force will solve the QC problems and late shipments? I think those are caused by higher up jobs than the assembly workers.

Some of them....especially after the tour at Expo.

If you have more eyes, perhaps those flaws that occur can be caught before shipping.

In LEDs, the MSRP was $1.59, before PBB, PBL, and myself, brought them to $.59-$.89 cents.
    To fix QC issues, I agreed to pay $.01 cent more, per bulb, for a final inspection before packing and shipping.
    I cant say which company my rejects went to in the US market.

In my other business, I went from NY manufacturing among friends, to Merida, Mexico, Thailand and China.
    I fixed late shipments, Quality Control, and lowered Consumer Prices, while increasing profit margins.

I think this is what most of US companies that have consumer merchandise have done in the last 20 years.

In regard to Stern, QC issues, may often be within a normal range, but social media magnifies it.
    This discussion, in anything Pinball, is communicated ad nausem, among vendors......seriously.

Its just people, and mistakes happen, while consumers expect and demand perfection.

If its Code....they need more programmers, right?
    If its lower cost, yet higher quality, Id love for this thread to have us help all of us with ideas on how to achieve,

The thread is titled "TELL THEM NO".

Im not sure if just bitching will fix this, or simply not buying...especially if sales still stay strong to a different
    income demographic....will change this.

We have some mighty fine talented people here...what if one of the toys that a Pinsider has made, designed and tested,
    were to be used? Wouldnt that save costs?
    How about Artwork? Coding maybe. Some of the Mods made are better than original toys....
    As a community, we can contribute, if a business would like us.

Maybe we could vote for less complex games to keep the price down, and Stern has heard this and made the New Home
    Spiderman.

Ultimately, I was doing nothing more than expressing my opinion after 45 years in manufacturing on how to avoid a price increase, and improve QC, etc.

Perhaps, its best, I just let this roll, and let you guys get back to complaining, and sharing, "No"

No worries...

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'd rather pay higher prices for pinball games if it truly is necessary to keep their assembly in the US.
    Even though I relocate 'em on my games, I appreciate what those Stern "Made in the USA" stickers represent!

No problem to respect this as a counter to my position.

Quoted from pinbum:

Do you think all the Chinese people on the assembly line working for Stern may have demanded a pay increase.

Yes. As an example the factory making the LEDs in your new Stern, is the same as I used and others.
    While, the standard example is to "Negotiate, tougher deals.....lower prices, minimal profit"...
    I am well aware of the complaints of the labor and the factory complaining of higher quotas, no pay increases,
    and a degree of "revenge" with letting quality slip.

Either we pay more, or we pay the same and get less. Otherwise, one needs to cut costs to stay in business, and maintain margins. Increase volume, and therefore gross profit is true, but most pin manufacturers forecast a finite market
    for this product....hence the home pin attempt again...profit and customer base market expansion.

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Don't sweat the down votes. They just mean not agreeing with your posting.
    Now, as far as your $3-$6/ hour labor; There soon coud be a 30% tariff/excise tax on goods made in certain low labor cost countries. That wil bring assembly back to the USA. The car/truck and semitrailer manufacturers with plants in Mexico are watching this carefully. Think about a plant that pays workers $20-$25/day, gives two hot meals/shift and provides subsidized housing. They sell their vehicle to a US buyer for $4k less than a US plant can due to labor cost differences, Eliminate that gap and maybe penalize it and the jobs will come back to the USA.

Oh, I agree...Never was a fan of NAFTA.

The problem we will likely face with rearranging trade deals or Tariffs, is (in a short comment, as it gets political), is hyper
    inflation here.

Im not sure how the public in the US will react.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-another-price-increase-tell-them-no?tu=oldpinguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.