(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 85 votes
      12%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(682 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 37 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jy64.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#202 2 years ago
    Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I can't match the price with the quality of the product. Can I afford more? Yes. Will I pay more for a Stern? Not at this time. I think they have great potential with their titles. The problem is the designers are not given enough time to make a quality game. Everything seems to be rushed and the overall product suffers.
    The only title that had my eye was GB. Of course we know where that ended up. There is a market for high-priced pins. I think JJP has a lot of that market looking their way now. Although there might be an opening with the release of Dialed In. Of course, they will be announcing a 4th title probably by the end of Q1 or Q2.
    Should be interesting to see how this all shakes out. The costs of the GB recall have to be huge. That is not a rounding error on their books. That had to play into their decision to raise prices.
    Hopefully all of these prices will level out as more and more of the market refuses to shell out this kind of cash.

Last I heard Game 3 go's on the line in April I do not see announcement of game 4 before expo

#204 2 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Dirty bastards too, they've inched out the new spiderman home model and said ''look, here you go...under 4k...'' which looks interesting but it is garbage, because this was a full featured pro not too long ago for the same money.
    Then they continue the slap in the face by raising the cost of the pro. This isn't just a little bit here and there, the premium features that used to be Pro's are costing thousands extra now.
    The slimers are sliming you.

There is a place for the pin not for me but it is good for the future of the hobby

#210 2 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Not defending pricing of either company, but I'm pretty sure JJP will sell more DIs than BM'66 and Aerosmith put together, and easily.

who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg

#303 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Each new pin is just a box of coils with art

Wow you really believe this

#309 2 years ago
    Quoted from 3pinballs:

I bit the bullet and bought a GB Premium, expecting today. However, this is the last NIB I buy. The prices are way out of whack. I was going to get my 3rd JJP game until I saw the price. Now I could have stomached the 7,500 or even 8k, but no way in hell 9K. I won't even buy the 8k DI as it has some stripped components on the playfield.
    Going to buy pre-owned after this and hope my GB with the new Churchill playfield holds up. I think the gameplay of GB is really great. Just wish they would have done RGB throughout the game. Some of those crazy ultra bright lights underneath and flashers are totally blinding. Brighter doesn't mean better!!!!!!

Just looked $8000 DI http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/DI-Game-Comparison.pdf did not realize so striped down

#324 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If that passion transferred to pinball, then the 4 existing SW pinballs should be worth well more than they are, due to collectors snatching them up for theme alone...however, those games don't sell for unrealistic prices - so, why would they rush out for the new one at $10k
    or whatever? Star Wars fans aren't starved for gaming based on their franchise. They don't "need" a pinball. They've got a million video games to keep them entertained.

I think saying 4 SW games is a stretch Sonic is a toy and Williams is a pin 2000 to many not a true pin.SW was Data East biggest seller and the Sega SWT was a solid seller as well

#326 2 years ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

It looks to me like it has 1k in extras though. Powder coated armor, Invisglass, Shaker Motor. I mean those three things alone are worth 1k for a machine.

Look again the invisglass and powder coating are not there for the $8000 game

#336 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Funny thing is Stern's $15K BM66 SLE doesn't even have Invisiglass on it lol

You have never heard me say a kind word about all the over priced games out there Stern's $15'000 80 run game or JJP $12'000 open end run LE

#348 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Maybe, just maybe Star Wars will feaure a large Death Star toy that appears very interactive but then opens and reveals a large Darth Vader head to bash, lol.

Sounds more interactive then Smaug

#428 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Overall I could understand the price increases if Stern was keeping quality high, code updates were released regularly (with more then just bug fixes / minor additions), extras for LE's were included versus being sold separately (ex, proton pack side blades for GB), proper support rails were included on all models, and an actual backglass is included with all LE's.
    Stern is doing none of the above so it just seems crazy to paying their ever rising NIB prices.

Seems to me JJP is going down the same road.Game 1 two upper playfields a spinning house flying monkey melting witch crystal ball direct printed cabinet. Game two 4 popup trolls and a talking smaug

#445 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

wanted to shave costs by using a smaller LCD display,

Quoted from Whysnow:

LCD cost pennies now-a-days

#456 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Distributor gets a 8% cut after shipping costs, that works out to $582 profit for distro

I think you are way off they hold some games for years have large warehouses many employees there cut %25/50

#504 2 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If you conservatively take this into account you must decrease actual profit margin decreases to around 20% which equates to roughly $1600 per machine.
    If a person wants to do the research and understand the industry, they can find the data.
    The true benefit of maximizing profit margins with any title is the ability to produce and sell the maximum number of units under the provisions of the license, which is the same for any marketed product.
    This is what makes reruns so lucrative.

I think it's funny you find %20 lucrative

#588 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If Stern makes on average, $500 per machine, they make say 15,000 machines per year, that's $7,500,000 in profit.
    One would think that Stern is debt free. It's not like they have a fleet of trucks and heavy machinery. It's all hand built.
    The next down cycle, they should be able to ride it through unscathed.

Why would you think Stern is debt free when they just enlarged there plant

#589 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I don't buy this argument at all, though I've heard it repeated over and over. Don't you have a television? Do you worry about what it looks like when it's turned off? What about your iPad? Your phone? What about arcade games, I've never once heard anyone fret about what the screen looks when turned off. Weird argument.

If tv's had a image on the screen when off for 70 yr then people may not like the blank screen of today

#594 2 years ago
    Quoted from cooldan:

wow, i hadn't visited this thread in a week, now it looks like if anything it's gaining momentum. i agree that over the next 12-18 months the marketplace will thin down.
    i predict that it'll go from Stern-JJP-Heighway-Spooky-Homepin-Dutch-Chicago+/-American, P3, others .......
    ....to.....
    Stern-plus-2

I think with both JJP and Highway you still can't tell if there will be a next game and if so just how far down the rd it will be

#599 2 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Looks like the recent NIB boom is about to slow way down sometime in 2017?
    Not enough $$ floating around in pinball to support all these thousands of $8k plus pins hitting the market next year.
    Maybe I'm wrong, who knows, but I'm trying to get myself under control!

That was said last year. Highway ship ? JJP 1 game Stern only had 1 new game in 2016 Dutch well

#610 2 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I think collectors with large collections will cash out, they should value is at all time highs, and collections will shrink down to 2-3 all time favorite games. I think Stern will go under as the volume will disappear, and smaller boutique companies like JJP and Spooky will thrive as the NIB market right sizes to 500 units a release for the people interested.

That's it you are cut off no more 420 for you

#634 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Accounts payable is not considered debt. That's everyday business activity.
    I'm talking about loans on plants and machinery, vehicles, trucks, buildings. Look at their videos. There's nothing there that's expensive. It's all hand tools.

Accounts payable is listed under dept just as accounts receivable are listed under assets loans are listed under long term dept in liabilities

#638 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

To be fair, Jack is offering more for your money. Price is still too high, but compared to Stern - you can see why.
    Widebody, shaker, Invisiglass, headphone jack, all inserts color changing, Mirco playfields, high quality powder coat, 27 inch HD LCD.
    Stern is charging more for less, end of story.

JJP has removed the headphone jack' invisiglass and powder coating from $8000 game

#697 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That was always the case. Austin Powers, South Park, WPT, T3, Sopranos, Ripleys...we're all $2000 or less on the used market for the longest time, and that's when they were about $3500 new. So, if a $9000 NIB game is sold down the road for $7500, it's not unprecedented. And hey, let's face it ...it's still a chunk of change and not a huge loss for what was essentially "renting" a game for a while.

As far as I am concerned any one who leaves the hobby because he does not make a profit on his used game is no loss to the hobby.

#705 2 years ago

I went on the Stern pinball arcade thread I do not care for ps game but thought I would look . What I find is people bitching about price code and modes WTF

#708 2 years ago

For those who don't like Stern or JJP prices you only have collectors to blame newly listed on Pinside a $5000 FH and a $12'700 TOAN

2 weeks later
    #797 2 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Stern didn't do any price increases but pressured the distributors to raise and raise they did. This was an easy way for Stern to wash their hands of the dirty work.

So you don't know if Stern or the distributors are pocketing those price increases

#804 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I'd like to read more about minimum pricing etc. I'll be the first to admit I'm not informed on this topic.
    Does Stern get the same price per unit, or do they have bulk discounts to distributors?
    How does it benefit Stern to control distributors pricing?
    Just curious.

Min pricing is most likely there to protect the major distributors. I know of two guys who were Stern distributors who worked out of there home they bought enough games every yr to get a deal with out the overhead of a major distributor

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Women
    The Flipper Room
    $ 50.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 249.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 199.99
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.95
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 93.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jy64.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside