(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 87 votes
      13%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(684 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Didn't we assume this was happening with Aerosmith and the new LCD screen?
    Does this affect the existing DMD titles too? I would assume it doesn't but if it does that's stupid.

Not sure yet but in the past price increases have also been applied to existing titles.

#7 7 years ago

I'm not going to say I won't buy another game as I'm interested in the next Whizbang release. I won't be buying another normal release pro/premium/LE NIB though. If there's something I really want I'll wait and get HUO after the original buyer waits for it, deals with the code, adds mods, and fixes all of the gameplay issues.

Stern makes some really good games. I'm not sure price increases are going to be received well when 2016 had major shipping delays, major QC issues, price increases, and very little in the way of code releases. "Stay tuned" for the next price increase.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I heard it was possible to enjoy pinball without needing to buy the latest overpriced , undercoded LE

Who told you this? Stern is very interested in finding this person.

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Crazy to think that just 1.5 years ago i bought my first nib which was met pro.... a nicely featured pin with great art, code, toys for 4500 .... man those were the day's lol.

Yep, in 2015 I paid $4400 for metpro LED delivered to my door. If the new actual cost is $5400 or so that's almost a 20% increase.

#198 7 years ago

I said when BM66 pricing came out that they would use this "special" release as a springboard for another big price increase. Release a game that you claim is a special small run for a big price increase. Go back to normal releases with a $400 price increase and the BM66 buyers won't hardly notice. When you just paid $9500 for a BMLE or $7900 for a premium all of the sudden $8400 and $7200 doesn't feel so bad.

In the end as long as they keep selling out the LE's and seeing good sales numbers pricing will continue to go up. It think the people most frustrated are the ones that have been buying NIB sterns for the last 5 years that are suddenly priced out now. Personally I don't really care, I'm not going to be a NIB buyer going forward anyway. The value isn't really there for any of the NIB games. I can get a HEP on the used market that was restored within the last 3 years for the price (or possibly cheaper) then the price on any of these companies full featured or limited release games. Or maybe I get 3 really good used games instead for the price. Simple fact is most good pinball machines are fun and the amount of fun does not vary 8K worth of fun. For the price of BM66LE you can get a nice Congo, Fishtales, and BSD. What is going to be more fun? The only NIB games that are going to interest me are the Whizbang releases and even those I'll try to get HUO if possible. The value just isn't there in any NIB games anymore.

#302 7 years ago

I think we will continue to see most of the LE's sell out quickly on any popular license. People that buy LE's are a different market group for the most part. They know there is not value in the difference between a premium and an LE but they want it anyway and the money is not an issue. Mid level titles like Aerosmith might really struggle to sell out though. I think the big drop will be in the premium sales. I normally know several people getting premiums of the next title and a couple getting LE's. For BM66 I know 2 people getting LE's and no one getting a premium.

Yes people are going to line up for star wars. Guess what though, it will just be another stern and it won't be the magical game everyone is looking for. People have already built it up to a level that it has zero chance of living up to expectations. The same thing happened with TWD and GOT. Both are solid enough games but neither are loaded with toys and both failed miserably with capturing the theme. Pinsiders had to fix the call outs on TWD just to have voices from the show and GOT doesn't feel like you are in the GOT world at all. 2 huge extremely popular licenses that couldn't live up to expectations.

#341 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Maybe, just maybe Star Wars will feaure a large Death Star toy that appears very interactive but then opens and reveals a large Darth Vader head to bash, lol.

I've ben joking with a friend for a year that it's going to be another run at the SM layout with a bouncing death star in the center instead of a vengeance ship.

#399 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Most, if not all the recent LEs have had backglasses. No excuse for no backglass on Batman LEs.

No they haven't. I think XmenLE was the last true backglass. All of the others are just mirrored translites glued on. Well, unless it's mustang or GB. Those didn't even get mirrored translites. Tron and Avatar have the 3D translites instead of mirrored ones.

#404 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

I remember when baseball cards were $.20 a pack!

It was worth every penny for the pink chalk they called gum

#440 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

One thing to consider is their LCD is going in all models, including their Pro, which none of their competitors try to match on price. If their LCD is inferior to others, its because of maintaining the Pro line.

Replaced the LCD in my laptop the other day for $64. Lets not build in excuses for it to suck at a price increase before they even ship the first pro.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-another-price-increase-tell-them-no?tu=jgentry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.