(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 87 votes
      13%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(684 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j85m.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I have been waiting since May for my GB/PRe,still no word!! Now,we hear the new B66 needs lane protectors like GB???Yes,I may be DONE, as well!!!!

Any chance you could share where you heard about BM66 needing lane protectors? I am pretty interested as I have a deposit down on an LE but if the ramp flaps over half of catwomans head are not rectified and lane protectors are needed then I will be dropping out for 10k I expect almost perfect not almost good enough.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Almost perfect and Stern?
    Ain't gonna happen.

That was kind of my point, when you want to charge these prices, the quality has to reflect it otherwise people will bail, I for one will happily miss out on BM66 and any other dream theme.

#134 7 years ago

I've found the best thing to do recently is buy older NIB Stern titles if you want or need that fresh pin fix! You know exactly what your getting in regards to code, build quality, fixes and their cheaper than current NIBs pins from Stern.

I am a Stern fan and have been a big supporter of theirs over the years and through the lean times, like a lot of us here! And I am in on a BM66 but if certain small issues and attention to detail are ignored by Stern I will reluctantly pull out, for 10k I except a certain level of quality in the finish and attention to detail that they have been lacking on their standard releases recently.

At the end of the day I think we all just want Stern to up there game so we can all feel more comfortable with any minor price increases, there is no one here that doesn't want Stern to continue thriving but at the same time as customers we need a certain level of that respect and desire to be mutual and for us to be given quality products that feel as though we are getting value and are valued customers at current price points.

#147 7 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I'd really love it if an overseas company would get in the pinball manufacturing business. I'd love to see what kind of prices they would get for a NIB game. People will say the quality would be worse than an American made game, but it still would be interesting.

Heighway Pinball?

Alien looks pretty well made from what has been shown so far, the playfields alone look like glass, far better than some of the dull clearcoats I've seen from Stern.

#238 7 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

I doubt the next generation will be enough to keep pinball alive.
    everyone i know under 25 years old (my son and friends included) don't give a sh*t about pinball, even most 40+ years old don't even know pinball still exist. ''what? those still exist?...''.

I am 30 and none of my friends who are around my age really care that much for my pins when they are round, they might have the odd play while we are kicking our heels waiting for others to arrive or a taxi but that's about it, two of them brought a pin each but sold them within a couple of months of having them, because "they didn't do enough" compared to tablets, smartphones, digital tv with game centres etc.

I hope I am wrong but it feels like Stern especially are maybe getting as much money in the bank as they can to either sell up or simply preparing for the bubble to burst and dark ages of pinball to return again, this continual price gouging is not something a business does if they want longevity, its usually done to make the books thicker in preparation for a sale or a goodbye, hope I am wrong.

#250 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You are 30? Enjoy the fruits of your youth young man!
    The first time I read someone online making all of the arguments you just made, you were about 13. If you are bored enough go google "pinball is dying" on RGP.
    Pinball is enough of a niche that you don't have to know anybody who likes it for it to survive - this isn't the NFL. There's no evidence that things are gonna slow down anytime soon. Raising the price of NIB games a few hundred bucks has never done it before and it isn't going to do it now.

Oh I do man I enjoy life, doing as much as I can but one of those things that makes me smile just so happens to be pinball. I grew out of computer games (the entertainment of my generation) but pinball still puts a smile on my face. I was actually reading RGP years ago when I was younger, my old man used to post on those forums and I used to sit and read with him so I have seen some of the old threads, that place had more drama than pinside LOL.

My point was that I am to some on these forums part of the next generation that is often referred to and a few of my friends are the generation after me, I have my friends with kids who are the next generation after them etc and no one really cares all that much for pinball, as you said its a niche, which is all well a good when you have one maybe two manufacturers fighting over that market but how much longer can this niche market support the emergence of more and more new companies brining more titles than ever to the market? while pricing are on the up and up? Higher and higher prices is simply another way to put off the up and coming generations to even consider giving pinball a try when they already feel a PS4 at $300 and a xbox one at another $300 plus games at $50 a pop are already superior.

#529 7 years ago

Bumping up prices on games already off the production line and shipped out to distributors is ridiculous

#533 7 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Increasing prices of NiB over the past 4 years combined with a weak currency against the USD hurts for sure. This goes for all NiB manufacturers, not just Stern.
    Also, shouldn't we look in the mirror a bit as well? Older machines have gone up the same or higher. And these are private sales ... no over head, no employees to pay, no profit margins to maintain. Just pure profit and greed.
    Buy an Addams Family for $3k four years ago, and sell for $6K today.

I agree with you, but I think the effect we are seeing on private sale prices is in direct relation to new pin prices.

If the sellers of older pins are looking to purchase a NIB then they probably need to make a little extra cash on the game/s they are selling to then spend on a newer game, which are now priced higher, baring in mind there are more new games to choose from, being offered by more manufacturers than ever so the temptation is far greater to get a shiny fresh smelling NIB.

I wouldn't rule out that some of the sales prices out there are out of greed, but I would bet a larger percentage are trying to sell on older titles at higher prices to afford newer games which are priced higher than ever.

#544 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

See: ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Petroleum, Amarada Hess, BP, Arco, Unocal etc.....

They all make pins?

I honestly don't see how price increases of a luxury non essential item in a niche market can compare to those of a product that is constantly in demand, used daily by billions and that the worlds infrastructure is built around/dependant on, unless I have totally missed the point, and it was a late night last night so there is every chance

#571 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I agree. It's even more extreme with the pre dmd solid states. Several games have just blasted off like Fathom and doubled in price.

As people get priced out of the latest and greatest they more than likely look around and stumble across greats from the past. As NIB prices continue to rise, unfortunately so will older titles from all previous eras.

#605 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I can't predict well and only speak for myself. I'm not looking to cash out. I enjoy pinball immensely. My complaint is the current NIB prices, mostly at Stern and JJP. They are just too high for the product I am receiving. I am not planing to buy any NIB at these higher prices.

I am in the same position I certainly won't be cashing out, especially since I've just rebuilt my collection following some hard times.

But after BM66 I don't think I'll be buying anymore NIB from Stern or JPP as I don't feel they are worth the ever rising price tags especially when compared to say Alien @ just under 2/3 the price of a Stern premium.

But when it comes to the pinball addition it's best to never say never.

2 weeks later
    #733 7 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

$200 doesn't seem like much.. It's more about the total amount of increments in the last 2 years that hurts.

That's probably what they are hoping we think, each time they do it

#736 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

A little over 14 pages to go through denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

The 5 steps of life on pinside

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j85m.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-another-price-increase-tell-them-no?tu=j85m and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.