(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 87 votes
      13%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(684 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#127 7 years ago

So a pin crash is coming to the NIB market? It's hitting the secondary too.

They will sell the living turd out of Star Wars (not me).

Isn't it funny how so many people can now justify spending $8k, $9500 or $12500 on a DI pin from JJP.

Wtf, there is ZERO chance the above pricing model is sustainable.

Bargains galore coming on the "opened" market.

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well, people can justify spending $8k on a JJP pin as they are a pinball company that actually offers value at that price point along with regular + substantial (not just bug fixes / minor additions) code updates.

Keep beating the drum Panzer, you and a handful of others. "Value" and $8k, what a joke.

I did it for years and am happy with my WozLE at $6500.

And I'll take my GBLE over it. It's actually a blast to play, not that Woz isn't fun.

Let's see how many pins JJP sell with that price plan!

Btw, where is the JJP $5k pin?

#130 7 years ago

How has the GBLE play field replacement program been pushed back when people are receiving them now?

There is a thread showing boxed up and ready to ship PFs

#142 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

That's for Pros, not GBLE's I thought? Correct me I'm wrong.. and if I am, I'll be a little upset about it..

They should be doing the LE's first because of the $$ spent, maybe they are the pros, not sure. Either way, at least the process is starting.

On the plus side, you and the others get a brand new PF to swap out. Mine still looks good aside from the hammered shit dimples.

#144 7 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Not defending pricing of either company, but I'm pretty sure JJP will sell more DIs than BM'66 and Aerosmith put together, and easily.

I'm not defending the pricing either but I seriously doubt that, won't even be close Imo. Stern will sell more BM66 premiums alone than DI.

#194 7 years ago

I get the idea of "voting with your wallets". I think its great and I hope Stern listens, although the sentiment expressed here is most likely part of the loud vocal minority.

If its a pinball theme people want, a $200 increase isn't going to stop people from buying it, yet. Cue up the Star Wars music and a few of the other themes coming in 2017.

While you are voting with your wallets, and I'm all for total pinball anarchy, let's not act like dumbfounded hypocrites as if Stern is the only responsible party.

JJP isn't exactly the pillar of truth and value. In addition to the misrepresentations, deadlines missed, multiple continuous LE versions they keep pumping out, let's not forget the RISING PRICES and BROKEN PROMISES from JJP when throwing around our selective outrage.

Vote with your wallets, I will too.

#228 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I'm sure it will come as a big shock to Stern that people don't like price increases.

Finally, RobT weighs in as a voice of reason. I thought i was out on an island.

Btw, when the corporate tax rate goes to 15% I'm sure a "huge" price decrease will be coming as well

#230 7 years ago

Meanwhile, i'll keep banging away at my TWDLE, GBLE and AC/DC premium! That's great pinball.

#242 7 years ago

15-20 yrs from now? Who knows. I have a tough enough time figuring out what's going on tomorrow.

My guess is pinball manufacturers are F Ed with the combination of higher prices and 99% of the younger generation not giving a F

Cry me a river for Stern? No way. They will be fine. They have a manufacturing plant and could transition into a lot of different avenues if the profit margins and/or volume isn't there

If I'm not mistaken, Bally/Williams did just that. Pinball is F ing hard, especially if you aren't pumping out 25,000 TAFs every release

Stern might be doing that anyhow. Nobody knows their true cost structure and profit margins. They are in business to make money

If sales drop off and more profitable opportunities arise then we will simply be left with less pinball

But that's a given down the road anyhow isn't it?

#319 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How many people are already on the star wars list with their distributors?
    I bet a whole lot more than people are willing to admit.

Same guys complaining are the same ones climbing all over themselves to get on the Star Wars LE list.

Once again, the prices increases are in part due to the "flipper party" that takes place every popular LE release.

WTF do you expect Stern to do, or anybody else, when they sell a GBLE at $8k and people are on an all out siege to grab them up and flip them for $9k-$10k.

Or maybe you forgot the Metallica LE fiasco?

WTF do you think is going to happen. Get used to it, its the new normal, and when Stern can no longer get those prices because people are losing $$$ on the secondary market, then it will go back to the old normal.

Patience. Things go in cycles.

#371 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And the stock market's going to the moon! It's boomtime in boomtown!

Winna winna chicken dinna

Boom boom. I'll take 5 SLE's please.

#372 7 years ago

COME ON STERN!!!! HIKE THOSE PRICES BABY.

jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough (resized).pngjim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough (resized).png

#380 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

I'll take 352,749 SLE's please
    Especially after my short position I took in the market today starts working. Lots of greedy bastards who didn't sell their stock into this rally will be giving back a lot of gains soon.

We'll see what JY has to say tomorrow. 50 basis point hike could send market a jolt of reality. Or a hawkish tone going forward.

Tax sellers might wait until next month though to take gains for a lower Trump tax rate in 2017.

#383 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

I really wonder what will happen when she steps down - the whole market is propped up on fluff right now.. so much downside risk at this point

She helped prop it up. I think she will be determined to take the "fluff" out of the market. Tax cuts, deregulation, higher growth and inflation, resulting in higher interest rates.

"Don't fight the fed". Could be different this time?

Anyhow, on topic, Stern will be a major beneficiary of tax cuts, repeal of Obamacare. Lower pin prices coming

#470 7 years ago

I wouldn't buy Stern pinball with my $$ for ANY price multiple and have to deal with you bunch of whiny m fers on a daily basis.

Why do you think Gary drinks. The external infliction of emotional distress has to be off the charts!

#472 7 years ago

I should include myself. I wouldn't want to deal with me either

Kpg, you need to get to re working those charts !

#549 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Stern now mandates the floor the dealers can sell for and mandate that no add ons like a free shaker motor can be used as incentives (the floor is still below MSRP, so your point is not entirely incorrect but presumably the minimum sale price floor goes up with the MSRP increase).

Confirmed by JJ at Gex. Floor is being raised across the board, including dealer stock

#597 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Up until just a few short years ago, pinball was struggling to survive.
    The revival in the 90s lasted about 10 years thankful partially to a resurgence of games on route and several manufacturers making machines. One of the biggest booms in pinball ever during the 70s lasted about the same.
    It would be highly optimistic to think the boom of the last few years will outlast any of those.

Looks like the recent NIB boom is about to slow way down sometime in 2017?

Not enough $$ floating around in pinball to support all these thousands of $8k plus pins hitting the market next year.

Maybe I'm wrong, who knows, but I'm trying to get myself under control!

#615 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think we have another year or two of the pin boom. Pinball will have a bigger problem when there is an economic crisis in the US and thus far it looks like 2017 will be a pretty good year (granted that can change quickly).

The wave could continue in 2017?

JJP has DI and another pin release coming.

Heighway will actually have Alien in production.

Stern will finally get to Aerosmith, Star Wars, probably Pulp Fiction, Elvira and Iron Maiden!

Can they possibly roll all of those pins out in 2017 being behind on BM66 and GB? Doubtful.

Throw in some Spooky at the bargain end of the spectrum and you have a ton of pins hitting the market. Fun and interesting times!!!

#620 7 years ago

Nevus hit it on the head for me too. I love pinball, will never sell out but the NIB train is leaving the station.

I've said it before but this time I'm checking into a pinball rehab facility for NIB buyers.

I have plenty of great pins to keep me occupied.

Secondary market and exploring EMs sound good to me.

With an occasional Kapow mixed in

#646 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I can't wait for 2017. I want to see how many 'no more NIBs for me' people actually well.....buy an NIB!
    Think you're gonna get a HUO star wars for -$1000 less than NIB 3 days after release or even 3 months? Think again.

I personally think you will be getting huge HUO discounts on the secondary market for anything they make going forward.

Especially Star Wars because they will produce LEs JJP style, meaning the stupid non LE continuous run of different models, "2500 Star Wars LE's". Patience will be required but people will be losing 4 figures on these NIBs going forward.

Always have that contingent of people that have to or need a quick sale.

#647 7 years ago

Like Derek says, if you just say no to Stern price increases, wtf do you say to JJP and that Assinine pricing model.

Let's call it a $9500 LE and just make as many of them as people will buy!

I don't care what you think you are getting for $9500, it's a Guaranteed $$ loser on the secondary market if you care about such things

#653 7 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

since this is a toy I don't care. I'll buy one and play it, if I decide to sell it I get what I can out of the used game. To expect it to go up in value, or even hold value is stupid. When I get a game for the ps/xbox i don't expect to get the money back if I sell. I used it, I enjoyed it, I wore it down. Of course its worth less when used.

That's why i said "if you care about such things". You don't, I don't, but a whole lot of people do and don't share our expectations.

#664 7 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

And we wonder why prices keep going up....

What about this as a topper?

pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpgpulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg

#673 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is it me or am I the only who thinks pulp fiction wouldn't be a good pin? (And I'm a fan of the movie)

Well get ready because its coming. Ritchie style, not Steve.

#679 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Regardless though, this idea that just general non-pinhead fans are going to line up to shell out $5500+ or whatever Stern raises prices to is ludicrous. Being a fan doesn't make you a moron. It's just a game collectible, you could get much cooler Star Wars stuff for that money.

Like what? Rogue One was great. If you are shelling out $5500 for Star Wars crap other than a pinball machine you are flushing it down the toilet.

A K2 robot?

#691 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Well first off, just skip the shelling out $5500 part, because it's dumb.
    But in the world of Star Wars collectibles you can do a hell of a lot more with that money. This notion that a Star Wars pin is a license to print money is just silly. Fans are not going to be lining up around the block to buy it, just not going to happen.

Fans aren't, I'm not, but the LE list is already a mile long.

What can you do with that $$ in the Star Wars collectible world that isn't dumb?

Non pinheads aren't buying any pinball machine of any stripe.

#693 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Well, I mean, to be clear it's all dumb. But I support people being free to be dumb with their money. Buy an overpriced pin, it's okay with me. I just think it will sound dumber to Star Wars collectors than say, going on a shopping spree at Sideshow: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/brands/star-wars/?ref=Z1C1-starwars

Stormtrooper life-size figure for the bargain bin price of $7999!!!

IF there are Star Wars fans that drop that kind of dumb $$$ on that thing, then surely they would drop dumb $$$ on a collectible pinball machine they can actually play? If they knew about it.

I guess pinheads are just smarter consumers

1 week later
    #745 7 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

I wonder how many of those that voted "No" got their checkbooks out when they saw Aerosmith today.

Not me, but I'm guessing a lot of the ridiculous themed DI people canceled those checks.

Stern still delivers great pinball for everybody.

#769 7 years ago
    Quoted from ExtremePinball:

And in a single sentence, you've described exactly why my normal $100,000+ per year pinball budget has been entirely reallocated. But I'm just one small fish in a very big pond, so I'm sure this won't affect Stern's bottom line.

Man I'm sure it will make a difference. Its the compounding effect of every lost sale that is bound to hurt at some point.

You weren't the guy in JJP's FB video promoting DI were you?

#770 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

But Aurich, Gary said that this is the first price increase in 2 1/2 years!

He's telling distributors this! Absolutely amazing. Maybe he really meant to 2 1/2 "months" and not "years"

Jack and Gary, gotta love em. They'll say anything no matter how absurd it is.

#789 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

I would say 2 1/2 years is correct for no increases. I have been buying new sterns for 3 years and have not seen any increase. If you have seen any increase prior to this official increase that anger needs to be directed towards your disturibtor and not Stern.
    TELL THEM NO (your dist, not stern)

Am I missing something? My GBLE cost much more than my TWDLE. Was Stern msrp the same? I didn't think so.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-another-price-increase-tell-them-no?tu=iceman44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.