(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 87 votes
      13%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(684 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brickshot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#264 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Isoquants and Isocosts. I would bet that Stern has not only "looked at the market", but made graphs, projections, and a whole lot of pretty charts showing that this is the way to profit.
    Companies make decisions on one thing and one thing alone, dollar signs.
    No decision is a blind guess. It's all based in cold hard data.

Right, right, right. Of course, Stern is the same company who looked at the market and is now on their THIRD attempt at a cheap home version of a pinball machine (ie. The Pin, now SM) in the 2-4k range and it's not still not getting a warm reception.

#269 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

On pinside. A niche forum for highly dedicated dedicated hobbyists with, you must admit, an EXTREMELY pessimistic general view on things.
    We know it's lacking features compared to $6000 machines but some random nobody who wants a NIB but doesn't want to pay real NIB prices? Time will tell. There's a demand for it.
    I also find it funny that people say "games shouldn't cost $6,195" and "the game that costs $4,000 sucks" in the same thread. People asked for a $4,000 game. Spider Man Home Edition is what $4,000 worth of game gets you. From what I hear, the $4,000-ish HomePin early reception is that it feels cheap too. In allllllllllll my other hobbies there's a familiar saying - "you get what you pay for". I'm not surprised the budget games feels like budget games.

What I think people expect is the current quality of Stern games at about 2k less than the current MSRP. Nobody can understand the minimal increase in game quality from 5-7 years ago to the percentage price increase of today. The two do not correlate.

The current 4k game you refer to is so cheaply made the margin must be incredible. Clearly the folks paying for the SM VE shouldered a lot of the costs (notably the artwork costs).

#277 7 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I have purchased 3 NIB pins in the last couple months. They are a Ghostbusters Pro, a standard Wizard of Oz and a Smaug SE The Hobbit. The Ghostbusters cost me $5500 with shipping and has functioned perfectly and has been enjoyed dozens of times by me and my guests. The Hobbit Smaug SE and Wizard of Oz standard each cost me $8300 with shipping and both have had multiple problems from day 1. Stern may have its issues but they are delivering a more reliable product for less money than any other manufacturer out there. When my The Big Lebowski arrives, that sentiment may change, but for now there is no more reliable manufacturer than Stern. Heighway, Spooky, Dutch and some other manufacturers may have some good looking stuff but Stern has kept this game alive for the past few years and they deserve some ******* respect for doing so.

With all due respect you are basing your opinion on VERY limited numbers. My SM VE has the auto-launch dead currently. I've had minor issues with other NIB Sterns too. It happens. I've heard from two different FT owners that their games have had multiple issues so Heighway is no different. Pinball is not easy. To suggest Stern is more reliable at this point (especially after the recent palyfields fiasco) is a little silly.

I'm more interested in how well support responds to help me!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brickshot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-another-price-increase-tell-them-no?tu=Brickshot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.