(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 87 votes
      13%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(684 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#678 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is it me or am I the only who thinks pulp fiction wouldn't be a good pin? (And I'm a fan of the movie)

I think it would be about as good as Big Lebowski. Fun idea, great on paper, and the further into it you get the less interesting it actually becomes. I was super excited for TBL, but then realized it's just a bit flat as a theme for a game.

Yes, Pulp Fiction is "quotable", but that just means a bunch of callouts that aren't really all that great out of context. "Talky" movies just aren't great fodder for pinball, IMHO. (I'm a fan of the movie too.)

I'm a Tarantino fan in general, have been since Reservoir Dogs, seen that movie who knows how many times, saw Hateful Eight at the 70mm roadshow etc, and if the rumor is true I hope it's good, wouldn't wish for a game to be bad. But I just think it's Not A Great Idea™ personally.

--

I'm bored to death with licensed pins, even if they're a necessary evil. But with the whole world of options out there, at least pick good ones. Ghostbusters was a good license. WOZ was a good one. Hobbit wasn't, but only because the movies ended up being disappointing and not all that great, the idea for a pin was there. Before anyone asks I think Alien is a great license, or I wouldn't have gotten sucked into it. But generally speaking great movie ≠ great pin. Because the things that make a movie great just aren't necessarily the same as things that make a pin great.

As for Star Wars, I'm a f—king Star Wars nut. I have display cases full of hundreds of toys, whole family went to Force Awakens twice, we loved Rogue One, I'm in on it. I actually hope no one makes a Star Wars pin. It's just going to be disappointing. Expectations will never match the commercial reality. See every previous Star Wars game. See Game of Thrones.

Regardless though, this idea that just general non-pinhead fans are going to line up to shell out $5500+ or whatever Stern raises prices to is ludicrous. Being a fan doesn't make you a moron. It's just a game collectible, you could get much cooler Star Wars stuff for that money.

#685 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Like what? Rogue One was great. If you are shelling out $5500 for Star Wars crap other than a pinball machine you are flushing it down the toilet.
    A K2 robot?

Well first off, just skip the shelling out $5500 part, because it's dumb.

But in the world of Star Wars collectibles you can do a hell of a lot more with that money. This notion that a Star Wars pin is a license to print money is just silly. Fans are not going to be lining up around the block to buy it, just not going to happen.

#692 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Fans aren't, I'm not, but the LE list is already a mile long.

Is it? Just the usual Pinsiders putting down some kind of hold my place deposit with distributors right? That doesn't really mean much to me. I'm sure the LE will sell out regardless though. LE buyers aren't who the price increases are hitting.

Quoted from iceman44:

What can you do with that $$ in the Star Wars collectible world that isn't dumb?

Well, I mean, to be clear it's all dumb. But I support people being free to be dumb with their money. Buy an overpriced pin, it's okay with me. I just think it will sound dumber to Star Wars collectors than say, going on a shopping spree at Sideshow: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/brands/star-wars/?ref=Z1C1-starwars

Just as an example of somewhere where you could drop a ton of cash easily on things to impress your friends or make yourself happy or whatever impulse drives you.

Stern can charge whatever they want, so can JJP and Heighway and all the rest. I'm not an idiot, I hope people buy Alien, I'll have wasted years of my life if they don't on that project. Don't let me try and talk you out of it!

But I'm out. No more from me. I just don't get enough value out of Yet Another Pinball™ that NIB doesn't feel like a waste of money. If there really is a Star Wars game I hope it's fun and lovely and doesn't suck. My life will go on without buying it.

#694 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Stormtrooper life-size figure for the bargain bin price of $7999!!!

I know right? I almost linked that one up, ridiculous. Here's the thing though, people aren't lining up around the block to buy that.

1 week later
    #731 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Got news on the pricing.. Not nearly as bad as as we expected. I think people will find the price increase to be quite minimal
    JJ

Since JJ can only talk in riddles he means $200 increase for the Pro.

#748 7 years ago

Being $4k less than Dialed In LE just tells you what a joke JJP's prices are. Let's not normalize $9k games!

Stern's Pro isn't a rip off. But as Rob points out it's a quick $500 increase too. $500 is money, whether you can afford it or not. That's not some little "cost of doing business" percentage. That's frog boiling 101.

Aerosmith doesn't appeal to me even slightly, no struggle here to not buy it. If you like it then great, enjoy! I think it's a cohesive package at least. But Pinside is already doing the goldfish memory thing on code, so don't come whining later about it please. Everyone should be eyes wide open by now.

#761 7 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

This thread turned out to be the Chicken Little thread to a degree. I don't think a $200 increase is unreasonable for a nice Pro with an LCD.

It's not yet another $200, it's the total price. People were paying $4400 for Pros not too long ago, and now they're $5200.

Either you get that and care or you don't, but dismissing it doesn't mean anything to the people who are feeling that wallet hit. Maybe your job is killing it with the year over year % increases in salary, I doubt it's keeping pace with what Stern is doing. If so then good for you, you're a baller.

Maybe you have money and just have a limit for what a toy should cost you. It's a personal thing, you can't scold people for setting up a threshold. If you're constantly letting it shift up a couple hundred bucks then it's really not any kind of limit.

#792 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Twd
    Pro Model: $5,995 (MSRP)
    Limited Edition Model: $8,595 (MSRP)
    Gb
    Pro Model: $US 5,995
    Premium Model: $US 7,595
    Limited Model: $US 8,795

Metallica launch MSRP for reference:

Pro Version: $4,995
    Premium Version: $6,995
    Limited Edition Master of Puppets Version: $7,595

#795 7 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

The letter stated no price increases in the last 2.5 years. So what does a game released over 3 years ago
    have to do with anything.

Maybe it was ... a reference? You know, for this whole conversation we've been having about prices going up over time. I give no shits about what Gary says.
    Here are some more:
    Star Trek
    Pro model ($5,395)
    Premium ($7,495)
    LE ($8,795)
    Mustang
    Pro Version: $5,395
    Premium Version: $7,495
    Limited Edition Version: $8,495

Added over 7 years ago: Edit to clarify those are MSRP prices.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-another-price-increase-tell-them-no?tu=Aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.