(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 85 votes
      12%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(682 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 37 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

There are 804 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 17.
    #351 2 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

The number of KISS sales to the KISS army is highly dissappointing. You'd expect Stern to be cranking out KISS games for years to meet the demand, but apparently the demand isn't there. So why would it be different for Star Wars?

Because KISS is a terrible theme to most pinheads and Star Wars isn't?

#352 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Funny thing is Stern's $15K BM66 SLE doesn't even have Invisiglass on it lol

Why would Stern put a competitor's product on their pin?

#353 2 years ago

I am a member of the Kiss army and still have not bought the game! I say Stern can kiss my Dark Knight a$$! I am done buying games before the code is finished, unless it's used at a discount price.

#354 2 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

Yawn. I cannot imagine what would happen if a pinball factory opened in Asia and we were flooded with those pins

There is a thread right here on Pinside keeping readers abreast of EXACTLY this development - you should have a look

Better get your toolbox ready then....................

#355 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Funny thing is Stern's $15K BM66 SLE doesn't even have Invisiglass on it lol

It does not have a REAL backglass either based on the feature listing.
    (Subject to further Stern change or reduction of features at anytime)

Actual backglasses make games valuable, for their art factor alone.
    More important than equivalent PDI glass.
    I bet most people did not even catch this change.

- SLE gets all 3 translites (SLE)
    - SLE unique translite and cabinet art by Christopher Franchi (SLE)
    - LE unique translite and cabinet art by Christopher Franchi (LE)
    - Premium unique translite and cabinet art by Christopher Franchi (Prem)

Basically, owners get three pieces of plastic instead of a proper mirrored and detailed backglass.
    Just another reason not to be impressed, based on cost reductions.
    Remember this game was supposed to be their "30th Anniversary Special" game but it ships with no real backglass?
    New owners now do not even realize the true differences.
    It like watery Prego, it's in there, but it does not always taste good.

#356 2 years ago

Just picked up a MINT The Simpsons Pinball Party for 5k. Think I'll hang out in the awesome used game arena for a while and let this all shake out.

#357 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Why would Stern put a competitor's product on their pin?

Well, you know what I meant.. lol.. and why does a competitor have a superior piece of playfield glass than Stern? You would think Stern would come out with a competing product themselves, especially if they are selling pins for JJP prices and even up to $15K. I can't own a pin w/o Invisiglass anymore.. that's just stupid to spend $15K on a machine and it comes with some plain ass $2 glass that comes on their Spiderman Home edition POS

#358 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

that's just stupid to spend $15K on a machine and it comes with some plain ass $2 glass

Please tell me where I can get a glass for $2 - even here in China is it a lot more than that!!

#359 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Well, you know what I meant.. lol.. and why does a competitor have a superior piece of playfield glass than Stern? You would think Stern would come out with a competing product themselves, especially if they are selling pins for JJP prices and even up to $15K. I can't own a pin w/o Invisiglass anymore.. that's just stupid to spend $15K on a machine and it comes with some plain ass $2 glass that comes on their Spiderman Home edition POS

Be careful what you ask for my friend! That sweet ass BM66 SLE would be even more than $15k if Stern has it's own anti-glare glass on it.

#360 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

......and no Lyman on code.

Last Lyman / Ritchie game? AC/DC? Dammit I am gonna buy it.

#361 2 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Last Lyman / Ritchie game? AC/DC? Dammit I am gonna buy it.

Yes, and from the rumors they won't be working together again any time soon if ever.

#362 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Be careful what you ask for my friend! That sweet ass BM66 SLE would be even more than $15k if Stern has it's own anti-glare glass on it.

Hahaha seriously man. $17K SLE's here we come!

#363 2 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Please tell me where I can get a glass for $2 - even here in China is it a lot more than that!!

Used and lightly scratched owners can always have my sheets for free in courtesy.
    That is what I do for new collectors who with with to save money in restorations.
    I have given away at least 4-5 sheets this year alone.
    We all do it, or at least we used to overall.
    I am sure you have.
    Shipping is what always seems to make it worth it to take a ball peen hammer and have a fireworks display.

Some people do not realize most local glass shops will provide custom specification, round edged, non logo, tempered safety glass at proper thickness for cheaper in "one offs" that most pinball suppliers, and you can pick it up the next day.
    My glass shop here will provided sheets for less than $40/sheet, and even further reduced if you buy in bulk.
    Granted it may not be PDI or Invisiglass featured, but new glass increases the quality of used games ten fold in clarity.

#364 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Yes, and from the rumors they won't be working together again any time soon if ever.

Why is that?

#365 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

It is like any other "fallout" in the industry between engineering, design, and coders team members.
    They generally come back together, especially when their are only a handful of manufacturers.
    Same thing happened with BLY/WMS in the 90s.
    They need a job, particularly for exclusive pinball designers.
    That is part of the reason Steve Ritchie returned to the industry.
    The recent "Same Player Shoots Again" DVD, you can catch hints of this in his interview.
    He had some tough times in the early 2000s.

#366 2 years ago

Lyman leaving stern? Ritchie retiring?

#367 2 years ago

I don't see what everybody's complaining about.

All the raises and bonuses pinsiders will be getting at their places of employment should be more than enough to cover it.

#368 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't see what everybody's complaining about.
    All the raises and bonuses pinsiders will be getting at their places of employment should be more than enough to cover it.

No kidding! My bonuses are so big pinball just isn't keeping up. I have decided to start purchasing tulip bulbs instead. They are only going to be worth more!

#369 2 years ago

And the stock market's going to the moon! It's boomtime in boomtown!

#370 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Lyman leaving stern? Ritchie retiring?

By the inferences being made I'd assume some kind of personal issue between the two...just reading between the lines of what a few are saying.

#371 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And the stock market's going to the moon! It's boomtime in boomtown!

Winna winna chicken dinna

Boom boom. I'll take 5 SLE's please.

#372 2 years ago

COME ON STERN!!!! HIKE THOSE PRICES BABY.

jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough (resized).png

#373 2 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Is there a way to purchase stock in Stern? I foresee BIG earning potential there. Stern futures FTW!

#374 2 years ago

I'll never say never, but this frequent NIB buyer is sitting on the sidelines at these prices. Just too much for a toy. The right theme with execution of design/code and I might bite. I guess time will tell.....

#375 2 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

No kidding! My bonuses are so big pinball just isn't keeping up. I have decided to start purchasing tulip bulbs instead. They are only going to be worth more!

My bonus is ... I have a job.. according to my boss.

#376 2 years ago

I hope I get the same Christmas bonus I always get.

0002135702911_A (resized).jpg

#377 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Ritchie plus Starr Wars equals NIB for me.

I bought the last three richie machines NIB, but I'm not buying anymore of his games.

The kings crown is crooked.

#378 2 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I'll take 352,749 SLE's please

Especially after my short position I took in the market today starts working. Lots of greedy bastards who didn't sell their stock into this rally will be giving back a lot of gains soon.

#379 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Especially after my short position I took in the market today starts working. Lots of greedy bastards who didn't sell their stock into this rally will be giving back a lot of gains soon.

#380 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

We'll see what JY has to say tomorrow. 50 basis point hike could send market a jolt of reality. Or a hawkish tone going forward.

Tax sellers might wait until next month though to take gains for a lower Trump tax rate in 2017.

#381 2 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

We'll see what JY has to say tomorrow. 50 basis point hike could send market a jolt of reality. Or a hawkish tone going forward.
    Tax sellers might wait until next month though to take gains for a lower Trump tax rate in 2017.

I really wonder what will happen when she steps down - the whole market is propped up on fluff right now.. so much downside risk at this point

#382 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I don't agree. Each new pin is just a box of coils with art.

Quoted from JY64:

Wow you really believe this

I will concede that it was a poor word choice. It was only part of my point. I have tremendous respect for the people at Stern that make pinball. I did not mean that to diminish their efforts.

My longer point, below, was an attempt to point out that it was essentially the same amount and type of parts in the games coming off the line a few years ago, but with a substantially increased price. Furthermore, that the price has crossed my personal definition of reasonable.

Quoted from Nevus:

I don't agree. Each new pin is just a box of coils with art. I love Star Wars and would like to see the theme. I can't imagine any pin, even my precious Led Zeppelin, getting the new pricing out of my wallet. It's just a game and the new pricing is now beyond where I'm willing to deal with the possibility of bad playfields, peeling decals and other common issues with recent Stern titles. I have disposable income, but don't like to be anyone's sucker.
    How long before a $5700 pro, $7200 Premium and $8700 LE? I'm predicting during Calendar 2017.

Dude expressed my sentiments with a better choice of words.

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I don't care what the title is Star Wars, Pulp Fiction or other I will not buy NIB from Stern anymore. I'm not saying those will be made just providing examples of two themes I'd love to own but even on those I'd wait to buy on the secondary market. That's my right to say that this price is my line in the sand I will not cross for a new pin that has a decent chance of having defects unseen by me before purchase. Not making a big deal about it or saying others should do the same just that I've had enough with the issues and constant price gouging.

#383 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

I really wonder what will happen when she steps down - the whole market is propped up on fluff right now.. so much downside risk at this point

She helped prop it up. I think she will be determined to take the "fluff" out of the market. Tax cuts, deregulation, higher growth and inflation, resulting in higher interest rates.

"Don't fight the fed". Could be different this time?

Anyhow, on topic, Stern will be a major beneficiary of tax cuts, repeal of Obamacare. Lower pin prices coming

#384 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

the whole market is propped up on fluff right now..

It's been that way for a long time now too.

#385 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Disagree...yes there is going to be .25 hike but it's already baked in, Xmas earnings around the corner, Pres elect has said mucho dinero for military and infrastructure. So I'm looking for Dow 21k before give back.

#386 2 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Disagree...yes there is going to be hike but already baked in, Xmas earnings around the corner, Pres elect has said mucho dinero for military and infrastructure. So I'm looking for Dow 21k before give back.

I love this!! Now I know I'm right... super bulls come out and make statements like this. The best contrarian indicator out there

#387 2 years ago

Haha..I'm not a day or swing trader so it won't matter to me. But I think there is a better chance of seeing 21k+ before a 10% correction (that is if he doesn't start a skirmish with somebody).

#388 2 years ago

I'm out of the market, but people thought I was nuts saying it would take off after the election if it turned out the way it did. Nothing lasts forever though...

#389 2 years ago

Inflated stock market, but without the corporate earnings to show for it. Smells like 2007.

#390 2 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Haha..I'm not a day or swing trader so it won't matter to me. But I think there is a better chance of seeing 21k+ before a 10% correction (that is if he doesn't start a skirmish with somebody).

I don't think there will be a 10% correction.. I would think a 4-5% pullback in the short term- similar to the pullback 20 years ago when the market was this overbought. It sprung back big time after that dip.. I think that's entirely possible, then another re-test of Dow 20K and go from there.

#391 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Is there a way to purchase stock in Stern? I foresee BIG earning potential there. Stern futures FTW!

I seriously already researched this as an opportunity.

I kept liking what I have been seeing in the market in general over the past couple of years from the significance.

Why spend money on new games, when you can have other new owners with the "fever" do all the work for you and reinvest accordingly?
    You might be able to buy a new machine on the profit every 6-12 months.
    It would an incredible amount of reverse humor to know that indifferent buyers were paying for my interests.

Currently, Stern is rolled into other investors and not directly public, so their was no way to isolate, manage, and evaluate changes over time of their actual profit margins based on their changes in game MSRPs.
    If they do go fully public, throwing the cost of 2-3 new pinball machines for shares would be an interesting pastime.
    Maybe even more fun than other stocks, because it would combine the hobby with regular market checks.

#392 2 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, there have been plenty of threads like this. But, I will grant this..through all the other threads I was still buying. This time around, and a few guys I know who have been in the same boat, are not buying. I hope there are enough new people around to keep it trucking along, but I sense quite a few of the medium-long term buyers are backing off.

I had the same impression - things have changed. I was amazed by the number of regular NIB Sterns buyers, often LE buyers, who declared they would not buy anymore. Yes, SW will probably be sold out. But Stern better beware as not all licences will be SW...

The situation is even worse overseas with the €/$ exchange rate - we have to swallow a further 25%+ increase in prices because of that.

#393 2 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

I had the same impression - things have changed. I was amazed by the number of regular NIB Sterns buyers, often LE buyers, who declared they would not buy anymore. Yes, SW will probably be sold out. But Stern better beware as not all licences will be SW...
    The situation is even worse overseas with the €/$ exchange rate - we have to swallow a further 25%+ increase in prices because of that.

Not not picking at you, but frankly, this liscense notion makes zero sense. A buyer is either principled and disciplined enough to say "no, not at this price" or they're giving Stern a thumbs up.

One of the oddities of this hobby is the insanely impulsive and compulsive nature of a lot of collectors. They simply can't stop themselves... no matter how ludicrous pricing is. As long as that 'gotta have' impulse overrides common sense/principles, then Stern will continue behaving exactly as they have for the last couple of years without ever looking back.

I know someone who openly slammed Stern for pricing... but they're in on Batman 66 because it's a dream theme. The two simply can't coexist.

#394 2 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Not not picking at you, but frankly, this liscense notion makes zero sense. A buyer is either principled and disciplined enough to say "no, not at this price" or they're giving Stern a thumbs up.
    One of the oddities of this hobby is the insanely impulsive and compulsive nature of a lot of collectors. They simply can't stop themselves... no matter how ludicrous pricing is. As long as that 'gotta have' impulse overrides common sense/principals, then Stern will continue behaving exactly as they have for the last couple of years without ever looking back.
    I know someone who openly slammed Stern for pricing... but they're in on Batman 66 because it's a dream theme. The two simply can't coexist.

Welcome in the collector world (whatever thematic).

Being reasonable (buyer and seller) is the most difficult in a collector world. It can be an illness.

What i can add on this thread, is i think the market will regulate by itself. As prices have increased about 20% and that is not the same for wages, people (I mean most of us) will target the theme/licence pin he would really like to have. So I think the volume sales will decrease and then prices. I'm sure that manufacturers and distributors can already see it. But as I said, the lure of gain is so strong that some people are blind and still go on in the error even if that must kill them.

#395 2 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

I bought the last three richie machines NIB, but I'm not buying anymore of his games.
    The kings crown is crooked.

Nah, Borg just is wearing it now.

#396 2 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

It does not have a REAL backglass either based on the feature listing.
    (Subject to further Stern change or reduction of features at anytime)
    Actual backglasses make games valuable, for their art factor alone.
    More important than equivalent PDI glass.
    I bet most people did not even catch this change.
    - SLE gets all 3 translites (SLE)
    - SLE unique translite and cabinet art by Christopher Franchi (SLE)
    - LE unique translite and cabinet art by Christopher Franchi (LE)
    - Premium unique translite and cabinet art by Christopher Franchi (Prem)
    Basically, owners get three pieces of plastic instead of a proper mirrored and detailed backglass.
    Just another reason not to be impressed, based on cost reductions.
    Remember this game was supposed to be their "30th Anniversary Special" game but it ships with no real backglass?
    New owners now do not even realize the true differences.
    It like watery Prego, it's in there, but it does not always taste good.

Quite staggering that people are paying these prices for a cheap plastic translite.

If you really are celebrating 30 years of pinball, a real backglass honors pinball history more than anything else.

Wow, $15000 and no backglass.

Wow.

#397 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Quite staggering that people are paying these prices for a cheap plastic translite.
    If you really are celebrating 30 years of pinball, a real backglass honors pinball history more than anything else.
    Wow, $15000 and no backglass.
    Wow.

Most, if not all the recent LEs have had backglasses. No excuse for no backglass on Batman LEs.

#398 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Most, if not all the recent LEs have had backglasses. No excuse for no backglass on Batman LEs.

Stern is like Sears. I just don't care about either of them anymore.

#399 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

No they haven't. I think XmenLE was the last true backglass. All of the others are just mirrored translites glued on. Well, unless it's mustang or GB. Those didn't even get mirrored translites. Tron and Avatar have the 3D translites instead of mirrored ones.

#400 2 years ago

Ghostbusters was mirrored paint for certain. It didn't even have the defusing sheet of white.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 209.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 27.50
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 10.00
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 40.00
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Boards
    PCB Emporium
    $ 159.00
    There are 804 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside