(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 87 votes
      13%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(684 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

There are 804 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 17.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Still waiting for my GBLE playfield replacement, which Gary Stern himself told me on the phone would be in October. Now Patrick Powers tells me that program has been "pushed back" and won't tell me when my playfield will be replaced anymore.
    After all the GB issues, they then have the nerve to jack prices up? No thanks. I voted with my wallet already, and recently bought an MMR and a TZ instead of ordering BM66 which actually looked pretty cool to me. I'll never buy another Stern NIB and play that lotto again..

Maybe it's because you bitch and moan about it daily on the interwebz.

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

The jobs will come back with the 30% tariff in the price! Never been a success to do this. Or maybe not, given the cost to cover the tariff will be less than the cost to setup in the US...

But, we have never added a tariff on to a product made by a US company that moved their manufacturing to another country. We've only done it to foreign corporations that started dumping their products here without allowing our stuff to go there.

Best example, the $75.00 tariff added to Japanese teevees by Nixon. End result; US teevee manufacturers raised their teevee prices by.... seventy-five bucks almost overnight. My example would be different since car manufacturers have plants here. They may have to "idle" a plant in Mexico. Or several plants....

#103 7 years ago

I honestly don't care what Stern does if they can charge more and make more on a sustainable basis, good on them.

Between quality, code, theme and price though Stern is pretty far off my radar at the moment. Too many good old games out there that are too much fun to bring back to life and play for a hell of a lot less cash.

#104 7 years ago
    Quoted from Msch:

Maybe it's because you bitch and moan about it daily on the interwebz.

Anyone who is over the age of 14 and still uses the word "interwebz" should be bitch slapped into the next dimension. Ease up there cupcake.

#105 7 years ago

I held off on gb when all the playfield issues arose. Now they want more money....

#106 7 years ago

I believe its around 5500 for a pro now and 7100-7200 for premium...... i said this a while back and everyone downvoted me and said no way . Its crazy less than a year (jan-feb)ago i had trouble paying 6200- 6300 for a waking dead premium as it was my limit . Then prices went to 6700 soon after with stern telling distros they have to sell for the same price. Now we have crossed the 7k mark (for a so called full featured pin)which is just insane for the quality and pretty basic game you get imo . Thank goodness there are other options . I was in on dialed in bc its loaded with quality and features. Now my decision looks that much better with these new prices for not alot of pin from stern. Alien sld look that much better for people now also as u get alot more pin for less money .

#107 7 years ago

No Stern NIB for me.

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Anyone who got the e-mail..... it's worse than a price increase....
    "Please also consider your requirements for early 2017.  Not all of the models will be available in 2017and there will be price increasers.."

That's good. The misspellings continue.

#109 7 years ago

They will get away with anything they can, while the getting is good. Gary is about done and wants a phat retirement plan draped in gold plated pussay 24/7.

#110 7 years ago

Is that the British spelling?

#111 7 years ago

The only good thing that might come from this increase is better themes, the prices in Canada are stupid but I would pony up if the theme was something special, Aerosmith ain't cuttin the mustard for a price hike.

#112 7 years ago

I see Spooky Pinball getting bigger and having a help wanted sign out front in the near future. My money is coming your way Charlie.

Mike

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I believe its around 5500 for a pro now and 7100-7200 for premium...... i said this a while back and everyone downvoted me and said no way .

the current price is $5000 for a pro and $6600 for a premium. In the past, the increases have been $200.

#114 7 years ago

Dirty bastards too, they've inched out the new spiderman home model and said ''look, here you go...under 4k...'' which looks interesting but it is garbage, because this was a full featured pro not too long ago for the same money.
    Then they continue the slap in the face by raising the cost of the pro. This isn't just a little bit here and there, the premium features that used to be Pro's are costing thousands extra now.

The slimers are sliming you.

#115 7 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

the current price is $5000 for a pro and $6600 for a premium. In the past, the increases have been $200.

Was told it was more than 200 for new titles due to lcd also.... guess will see when next title is released . But even older titles still being made will now be 5200-5300 from what ive gathered.

#116 7 years ago

Yes! I love to pay more for a crappy product!
    Stupid poll...

#117 7 years ago

Crazy to think that just 1.5 years ago i bought my first nib which was met pro.... a nicely featured pin with great art, code, toys for 4500 .... man those were the day's lol.

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Crazy to think that just 1.5 years ago i bought my first nib which was met pro.... a nicely featured pin with great art, code, toys for 4500 .... man those were the day's lol.

Yep, in 2015 I paid $4400 for metpro LED delivered to my door. If the new actual cost is $5400 or so that's almost a 20% increase.

#119 7 years ago
    Quoted from newpinbin:

I held off on gb when all the playfield issues arose. Now they want more money....

I was in the same boat.

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

It's because it's politically related I guess. But in all fairness, I wonder how many people would be willing to pay $1500 for an iPhone if it was assembled in the US by union workers making $25/hr vs the Foxconn workers in China making $8/hr.

It's not as simple as the wages themselves. It's the health insurance costs. The liability insurance. The property taxes. The corporate earnings taxes. The risk management aspect of paying out settlements to protected classes of employees of frivolous lawsuits. It's workers compensation insurance. It's way more complicated than $25/hour to $8/hour comparisons.

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

But, we have never added a tariff on to a product made by a US company that moved their manufacturing to another country. We've only done it to foreign corporations that started dumping their products here without allowing our stuff to go there.
    Best example, the $75.00 tariff added to Japanese teevees by Nixon. End result; US teevee manufacturers raised their teevee prices by.... seventy-five bucks almost overnight. My example would be different since car manufacturers have plants here. They may have to "idle" a plant in Mexico. Or several plants....

its not so simple; manufacturing is truly global, especially for some of the precious metals that you need these days. don't get me wrong I'd rather see manufacturing local but when you can make something in China for half the price anywhere else...

#122 7 years ago

I really wanted to buy NIB GB Premium, but production and quality issues on top of code issues and cost savings are holding me back. Now after hearing this, I'm really glad I decided to buy used AMH instead. I'll think twice going forward if Stern deserves my business (I like their pins though)

#123 7 years ago

I have bought less Stern NIB since their last price increase, that being said, I paid $7200 for a used WOZLE recently and am very happy with that purchase, so I clearly have not hit my price limit. If quality games are built I will pony up the money once the code has been finished. Stern's business model is changing and overall I think their business model will be to sell less game for more, along with increasing revenue streams through toppers and other high margin pinball mods. Oh and let's not forget retheming games which cuts development costs significantly.

#124 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Is that the British spelling?

Laughed myself silly, and then again when I watched the YouTube!

Mike in Kentucky

#125 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

its not so simple; manufacturing is truly global, especially for some of the precious metals that you need these days. don't get me wrong I'd rather see manufacturing local but when you can make something in China for half the price anywhere else...

If the USA slaps a 20 or 30% tarrif on cars, trucks and trailers built in Mexico, you'll see how fast those companies close those plants up and move that manufacturing (back, in some cases) to the USA as there is not enough demand in Mexico for those vehicles.

Maybe Ford. GM, Fiat/Chrysler and Hyundai will lease their plants there to Jarritos so they can bottle soda in them.

#126 7 years ago

The ceiling is coming and Sterns sales will fall.

#127 7 years ago

So a pin crash is coming to the NIB market? It's hitting the secondary too.

They will sell the living turd out of Star Wars (not me).

Isn't it funny how so many people can now justify spending $8k, $9500 or $12500 on a DI pin from JJP.

Wtf, there is ZERO chance the above pricing model is sustainable.

Bargains galore coming on the "opened" market.

#128 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

So a pin crash is coming to the NIB market? It's hitting the secondary too.
    They will sell the living turd out of Star Wars (not me).
    Isn't it funny how so many people can now justify spending $8k, $9500 or $12500 on a DI pin from JJP.
    Wtf, there is ZERO chance the above pricing model is sustainable.
    Bargains galore coming on the "opened" market.

Well, people can justify spending $8k on a JJP pin as they are a pinball company that actually offers value at that price point along with regular + substantial (not just bug fixes / minor additions) code updates. It's hard to justify that same amount of coin with Stern when they are offering less in games, lowering QC, taking forever (or never) with proper code updates, leave people in the dark over issues, etc.

Stern won't even put proper support rails on their pro games that cost $5k. For $5,000 you get plastic pegs. Well, now probably $5200-$5500. Ridiculous.

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well, people can justify spending $8k on a JJP pin as they are a pinball company that actually offers value at that price point along with regular + substantial (not just bug fixes / minor additions) code updates.

Keep beating the drum Panzer, you and a handful of others. "Value" and $8k, what a joke.

I did it for years and am happy with my WozLE at $6500.

And I'll take my GBLE over it. It's actually a blast to play, not that Woz isn't fun.

Let's see how many pins JJP sell with that price plan!

Btw, where is the JJP $5k pin?

#130 7 years ago

How has the GBLE play field replacement program been pushed back when people are receiving them now?

There is a thread showing boxed up and ready to ship PFs

#131 7 years ago

They were overpriced since day one...............

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Exact price I paid. A lot of money but it was within my budget at the time and seemed reasonable for the game.

Not willing to pay more than that for a new Stern unless something changes drastically.

#133 7 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

While I tend to agree I doubt I could pass up Tron VE.

At the price they asked for SMVE, you're better off buying an original. Probably better build quality on an original too.

#134 7 years ago

I've found the best thing to do recently is buy older NIB Stern titles if you want or need that fresh pin fix! You know exactly what your getting in regards to code, build quality, fixes and their cheaper than current NIBs pins from Stern.

I am a Stern fan and have been a big supporter of theirs over the years and through the lean times, like a lot of us here! And I am in on a BM66 but if certain small issues and attention to detail are ignored by Stern I will reluctantly pull out, for 10k I except a certain level of quality in the finish and attention to detail that they have been lacking on their standard releases recently.

At the end of the day I think we all just want Stern to up there game so we can all feel more comfortable with any minor price increases, there is no one here that doesn't want Stern to continue thriving but at the same time as customers we need a certain level of that respect and desire to be mutual and for us to be given quality products that feel as though we are getting value and are valued customers at current price points.

#135 7 years ago

Gary will be on Shark Tank soon and we'll all tell him we told you so. I hope Mr. Wonderful destroys his valuation.

#136 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Jack played it; but he didn't like that low of a price.....

#137 7 years ago

Another increase? Already? Bitches!

renttoohigh (resized).jpgrenttoohigh (resized).jpg

#138 7 years ago

Its all fun and games ... Until sw is announced

#139 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

How has the GBLE play field replacement program been pushed back when people are receiving them now?
    There is a thread showing boxed up and ready to ship PFs

That's for Pros, not GBLE's I thought? Correct me I'm wrong.. and if I am, I'll be a little upset about it..

#140 7 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Gary will be on Shark Tank soon and we'll all tell him we told you so. I hope Mr. Wonderful destroys his valuation.

I'm just waiting for the first Stern Kickstarter campaign for their next pin release

#141 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Keep beating the drum Panzer, you and a handful of others. "Value" and $8k, what a joke.
    I did it for years and am happy with my WozLE at $6500.
    And I'll take my GBLE over it. It's actually a blast to play, not that Woz isn't fun.
    Let's see how many pins JJP sell with that price plan!

Not defending pricing of either company, but I'm pretty sure JJP will sell more DIs than BM'66 and Aerosmith put together, and easily.

#142 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

That's for Pros, not GBLE's I thought? Correct me I'm wrong.. and if I am, I'll be a little upset about it..

They should be doing the LE's first because of the $$ spent, maybe they are the pros, not sure. Either way, at least the process is starting.

On the plus side, you and the others get a brand new PF to swap out. Mine still looks good aside from the hammered shit dimples.

#143 7 years ago

I'd really love it if an overseas company would get in the pinball manufacturing business. I'd love to see what kind of prices they would get for a NIB game. People will say the quality would be worse than an American made game, but it still would be interesting.

#144 7 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Not defending pricing of either company, but I'm pretty sure JJP will sell more DIs than BM'66 and Aerosmith put together, and easily.

I'm not defending the pricing either but I seriously doubt that, won't even be close Imo. Stern will sell more BM66 premiums alone than DI.

#145 7 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I'd really love it if an overseas company would get in the pinball manufacturing business. I'd love to see what kind of prices they would get for a NIB game. People will say the quality would be worse than an American made game, but it still would be interesting.

Like homepin?

#146 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I'm not defending the pricing either but I seriously doubt that, won't even be close Imo. Stern will sell more BM66 premiums alone than DI.

Not a chance in hell.

#147 7 years ago

Heighway Pinball?

Alien looks pretty well made from what has been shown so far, the playfields alone look like glass, far better than some of the dull clearcoats I've seen from Stern.

#148 7 years ago

Let me introduce you to Dutch Pinball http://www.dutchpinball.com/ and Heighway Pinball http://www.heighwaypinball.com/

Both are overseas. One in the Netherlands, one in the UK.

#149 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Its all fun and games ... Until sw is announced

What's the big deal with sw? Is it that good of theme for people? Not me fortunately...hell i haven't seen the movies since i was a little lad... it does nothing for me .

#150 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

I'm just waiting for the first Stern Kickstarter campaign for their next pin release

If it keeps pricing down..........

There are 804 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-another-price-increase-tell-them-no/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.