(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 87 votes
      13%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(684 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg
    There are 804 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.
    #701 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Have not seen anyone actually list what the increase is, just 14 pages of complaining? I found out what the increase is (not saying so don't ask) and it isn't very much. Not enough that I am upset about it and I buy a lot of new Sterns. Not enough for a 14 page pitchfork rant either. If the increase is large from your dist then they are just trying to make more money off you.

I think it's not the fact that they are increasing the price this one time but that they have been doing it steadily with no end in sight. A price increase with each new Title or every other Title adds up quick...like it already has.

#702 7 years ago

I think the price increase on older unsold titles still sitting at distributors aggravates people more. How can you justify price increases on those.

#703 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I think it's not the fact that they are increasing the price this one time but that they have been doing it steadily with no end in sight. A price increase with each new Title or every other Title adds up quick...like it already has.

.... while simultaneously reducing game features and the quality of the end product.

#704 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Have not seen anyone actually list what the increase is, just 14 pages of complaining?

Haters gotta hate.

#705 7 years ago

I went on the Stern pinball arcade thread I do not care for ps game but thought I would look . What I find is people bitching about price code and modes WTF

#706 7 years ago

Im just gonna leave this here....

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#707 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Have not seen anyone actually list what the increase is, just 14 pages of complaining? I found out what the increase is (not saying so don't ask) and it isn't very much. Not enough that I am upset about it and I buy a lot of new Sterns. Not enough for a 14 page pitchfork rant either. If the increase is large from your dist then they are just trying to make more money off you.

That mentality is what is wrong with this hobby. You talk about 14 pages but skip to the end to inject your thoughts. Facts is, they keep going up frequently and they keep cost cutting. We had all the features for a reasonable price, now they slice and dice these games for more profits, have more and more issues, and we're left twiddling our thumbs.

Not me, I'm out. I bought a Spider-Man for $4200 with a shaker in near mint condition and no issues. Full side rails, real lock bar, under playfield slide rails, a real board set, full playfield features and masterpiece code. They can take that $3800 home model (which is the price a real "pro" used to be not so long ago) and shove it up someone else's behind, I'm done being their scarecrow.

#708 7 years ago

For those who don't like Stern or JJP prices you only have collectors to blame newly listed on Pinside a $5000 FH and a $12'700 TOAN

#709 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

For those who don't like Stern or JJP prices you only have collectors to blame newly listed on Pinside a $5000 FH and a $12'700 TOAN

Those are out of production units that have made their reputation over the course of decades. There's a difference between something naturally appreciating vs. selling a new product for "collector" prices out of the gate.

Collectors are paying $300+ for rare Sega Saturn discs ...does that mean the market for disc based games is $300? Imagine Sony reacting to that by selling PS4 games for $300....would never happen. Collector markets should not have a price impact on new products.

#710 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Those are out of production units that have made their reputation over the course of decades. There's a difference between something naturally appreciating vs. selling a new product for "collector" prices out of the gate.
    Collectors are paying $300+ for rare Sega Saturn discs ...does that mean the market for disc based games is $300? Imagine Sony reacting to that by selling PS4 games for $300....would never happen. Collector markets should not have a price impact on new products.

While I generally agree, the problem with your argument is that pinball collectors (in your Sega Saturn disc example) have been offered new disc based games at $300 and gladly paid. Even worse, a segment of those collectors paid $900 for a new disc based game they'd NEVER seen played.

#711 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Well then why doesn't Chevy start selling new model Corvette Stingrays for $125-150K then? Restored 1960's Corvettes are going for that price.. so should GM match those prices since people are willing to pay that price for a Corvette?

#712 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

These are not normal prices for these 2 pins (nice fh is 3-4k - nice totan 6500-7500).. these are restored older titles especially the totan which is loaded with upgrades and better than new.

#713 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Yep....I'm a huge Star Wars fan. In fact the whole family is. No plans to purchase the upcoming Star Wars pin. Maybe someday on the secondary market. I'm done (for now) with NIBs. And by "for now" I mean until the pricing comes back down to earth....if it doesn't then I won't be buying NIB pins period. I said a couple years ago that 6k was my ceiling on ANY pin.....haven't hit it yet and don't plan to anytime soon.
    That is not a financial ceiling for me.....just an arbitrary "pinball machines are WORTH no more than this" limit I came to. Above 5-6k there are better things I can be spending my money on.

So I doubt you would own it. If this one come out one day, it will be surely the most expensive nib ever and even in the secondary market ( maybe as espensive as an nib)....except if it is crappy.

So after hundreds of post, the conclusion is each one will choose to follow the price rising or not, depending on his means, his own expectation, his own desires, his own reflection. So nothing new and the world still goes on to turn around itself.

#714 7 years ago

We're coming up on the 50th anniversary this January of Gottlieb switching from chromed solid steel playfield posts to cheap ass molded plastic ones. The nerve of those guys! And they probably increased the prices of the games at the same time. Too bad Pinside wasn't around yet to blow the whistle on this cash grab and TELL THEM NO. Imagine the outrage that went un-vented?

20161228_163457 (resized).jpg20161228_163457 (resized).jpg

King of Diamonds Jan 1967:

000image-8 (resized).jpg000image-8 (resized).jpg

Solitaire Feb 1967:

00image-7 (resized).jpg00image-7 (resized).jpg

#715 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Have not seen anyone actually list what the increase is, just 14 pages of complaining? I found out what the increase is (not saying so don't ask) and it isn't very much.

Is it $1? If so, it's too much.

#716 7 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

No pinball machine from today is worth $8000.
    Sorry, someones signature and a new set of decals does not equate to that level of price to me.

And the signature is a Pen name.

#717 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I didn't realize that:
    A) he put in his notice at Raw Thrills
    Or
    B) Raw Thrills is jumping into pinball
    I guess I'll have some questions to ask during our Monday morning engineering meeting

I just wanted to say a big Thank you for creating great new product like last year's Jurassic Park World arcade and the new Crusin Blast.
    These are incredible earning games, just got Blast in but it's time for something to finally top Daytona in earnings.

Happy New Year.
    Buddy

20161223_104905 (resized).jpg20161223_104905 (resized).jpg

20161223_104858 (resized).jpg20161223_104858 (resized).jpg

20161223_112227 (resized).jpg20161223_112227 (resized).jpg

#718 7 years ago
    Quoted from doughslingers:

I just wanted to say a big Thank you for creating great new product like last year's Jurassic Park World arcade and the new Crusin Blast.
    These are incredible earning games, just got Blast in but it's time for something to finally top Daytona in earnings.

Thanks for operating them!

Now if Mr. Ritchie would spend less time at Stern or Heighway or Spooky or wherever the heck he's designing Pulp Fiction, his next game for Raw is hitting the production line in 3 weeks.

Walking Dead Arcade. Gonna be huge!

#719 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Thanks for operating them!
    Now if Mr. Ritchie would spend less time at Stern or Heighway or Spooky or wherever the heck he's designing Pulp Fiction, his next game for Raw is hitting the production line in 3 weeks.
    Walking Dead Arcade. Gonna be huge!

Another Sega product or will this one be by Chicago Gaming?

#720 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Another Sega product or will this one be by Chicago Gaming?

Walking Dead Arcade?

That's a full in house Raw Thrills/Play Mechanix production.

#721 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Walking Dead Arcade?
    That's a full in house Raw Thrills/Play Mechanix production.

Thanks.

#722 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

You have denied Mark Ritchie's involvement with a Pulp Fiction pin so many times now that I'm actually starting to believe that there is truth to the rumor!

#723 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

You have denied Mark Ritchie's involvement with a Pulp Fiction pin so many times now that I'm actually starting to believe that there is truth to the rumor!

Which rumor? At this point the rumor he's not working on it is as strong as the rumor that he's working on it

Time to go back to NOT working for a pinball company . . . or am I?

#724 7 years ago

Close enough to Jan 1 anyone know what the increase actually is on old titles?

#725 7 years ago

How many of the 75% will cave???

#726 7 years ago

Got news on the pricing.. Not nearly as bad as as we expected. I think people will find the price increase to be quite minimal

JJ

#727 7 years ago

LOL. Won't stop some people from freaking out here in full effect. Check out what happens on Pinside when a dealer puts an ad up for a NIB (BM66 LE) pinball machine for $1 over MSRP. This is just the where the chaos begins to get even more dumb. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-batman-66-le#post-3518430

#728 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Pro Model: $6199
    Premium Model: $7899
    Limited Edition Model: $8999
    Good grief. $6200 for the pro?

new Aerosmith pricing

#730 7 years ago

Staying with my NIB no. Will look at it after code updates. The Pro model looking to be the best playwise.

#731 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Got news on the pricing.. Not nearly as bad as as we expected. I think people will find the price increase to be quite minimal
    JJ

Since JJ can only talk in riddles he means $200 increase for the Pro.

#732 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

JJ

$200 doesn't seem like much.. It's more about the total amount of increments in the last 2 years that hurts.

#733 7 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

$200 doesn't seem like much.. It's more about the total amount of increments in the last 2 years that hurts.

That's probably what they are hoping we think, each time they do it

#734 7 years ago

A little over 14 pages to go through denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

#735 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Since JJ can only talk in riddles he means $200 increase for the Pro.

Sorry I hate it too. $100 for Legacy Titles $200 on Aerosmith.. Last night it wasn't public yet so I had to be extra careful

#736 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

A little over 14 pages to go through denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

The 5 steps of life on pinside

#737 7 years ago

Just wait till pinball machines get DLC.

#738 7 years ago

They kind of already have it. I'm sure some people would balk at how much I'm going to be putting into mods for my Metallica Pro. Let's just say it's a good thing I have every intention on keeping it for life.

#739 7 years ago

yep, not so much increase...
    lets admit for you in the USA guys, as i've read that you're not paying the STERN "fixed" price, but (for a pro model) lower & something like 5000-5200 USD !? right ?

here in west europe, its already (for GB) 6000 euros, than 6293 USD
    i even cant talk for aussies & neighbours... :/

#740 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

new Aerosmith pricing

MSRP not street prices.

#741 7 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Exactly.

I paid $6200.00 (shipped) for my TWD Premium. This was in May of 2015. I was also quoted $4700.00 shipped for TWD pro.

So Aerosmith pro looks like it will be about $500.00 more than TWD was a little more than a year and half ago. And the premium is about $800.00 more than I paid for my TWD premium.

Still, all things considered, Aerosmith pro looks to be one of the better values in pinball. It's still going to be about $4k less than Dialed In LE for example.

#742 7 years ago
    Quoted from comment23:

Just wait till pinball machines get DLC.

Already happened with CGC charging to "unlock" the MMR Color dots that were in the rom already.

#743 7 years ago

200 dollars? You call that an increase? Why that's just a poor man's 2,000 dollars.

#744 7 years ago

I wonder how many of those that voted "No" got their checkbooks out when they saw Aerosmith today.

#745 7 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

I wonder how many of those that voted "No" got their checkbooks out when they saw Aerosmith today.

Not me, but I'm guessing a lot of the ridiculous themed DI people canceled those checks.

Stern still delivers great pinball for everybody.

#746 7 years ago

I'm not an Aerosmith fan but that is one beautiful looking pinball machine and it appears to play nice and fast, good layout with a very cool toy in that clown and toy box, look forward to playing one. GB's, BM66 and now Aerosmith say what you want about Stern but they do deliver.

#747 7 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

Not this guy.

F that noise.

Man, if people are really backing off on their convictions and going to order Aerosmith after they made such a noise here, that is some SERIOUS weak willed crap.

#748 7 years ago

Being $4k less than Dialed In LE just tells you what a joke JJP's prices are. Let's not normalize $9k games!

Stern's Pro isn't a rip off. But as Rob points out it's a quick $500 increase too. $500 is money, whether you can afford it or not. That's not some little "cost of doing business" percentage. That's frog boiling 101.

Aerosmith doesn't appeal to me even slightly, no struggle here to not buy it. If you like it then great, enjoy! I think it's a cohesive package at least. But Pinside is already doing the goldfish memory thing on code, so don't come whining later about it please. Everyone should be eyes wide open by now.

#749 7 years ago

I was in the market for a new pin about a month ago. I wanted a GB premium but all I kept hearing was problems after problems and the code was non existent. The price point of NIB premium games isn't really the problem as much as the quality. I just couldn't pull the trigger on a new stern with all the problems, so I bought a nice TZ and put some money into it. I don't regret my decision at all.

#750 7 years ago

I'm done with stern. The ghostbusters issues were resolved and I have one and love it. But I am tired of price increases. Theme or not doesn't matter to me. And I'm sure my sitting out won't matter a bit to stern but I'm not paying these new prices.

There are 804 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-another-price-increase-tell-them-no/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.