(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 87 votes
      13%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(684 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

There are 804 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.
    #651 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Like Derek says, if you just say no to Stern price increases, wtf do you say to JJP and that Assinine pricing model.
    Let's call it a $9500 LE and just make as many of them as people will buy!
    I don't care what you think you are getting for $9500, it's a Guaranteed $$ loser on the secondary market if you care about such things

since this is a toy I don't care. I'll buy one and play it, if I decide to sell it I get what I can out of the used game. To expect it to go up in value, or even hold value is stupid. When I get a game for the ps/xbox i don't expect to get the money back if I sell. I used it, I enjoyed it, I wore it down. Of course its worth less when used.

#652 7 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

Of course its worth less when used.

Some are more worthless than others.

#653 7 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

since this is a toy I don't care. I'll buy one and play it, if I decide to sell it I get what I can out of the used game. To expect it to go up in value, or even hold value is stupid. When I get a game for the ps/xbox i don't expect to get the money back if I sell. I used it, I enjoyed it, I wore it down. Of course its worth less when used.

That's why i said "if you care about such things". You don't, I don't, but a whole lot of people do and don't share our expectations.

#654 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I don't think I'm alone here. I think it's all about perceived value for the price tag. I could justify paying a little bit more for a proven winner like ACDC with a vastly improved DD art package and large color LCD than I would for an old DMD based game with no improvements. If they are going to price old Premium games like GOT and TWD at over $7K now then they better have improvements such as color LCD and improved art to justify it. If they are going to charge you more they should be giving you more! I don't necessarily think the price is the sole issue here. I think plenty of people would be willing to plop down $7K for a GB or Met Premium with larger color LCD and updated art package.

I wasn't intending to single you out... more of a general comment...

#655 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Can I introduce you to Data East Star Wars? Or the other existing SW games??

Noted.

But I stand by my statement. The Star Wars franchise has changed dramatically since those machines were manufactured. Star Wars has had it's own resurgence in recent years. It has reinvigorated old fans and brought in a new generation of new fans. Granted many won't spend 6-8k ($11k AU) on a pinball machine, but I'm certain that the pinball community will support the game (in big numbers) provided it is not a dud.

#656 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

Star Wars has had it's own resurgence in recent years. It has reinvigorated old fans and brought in a new generation of new fans.

Wonderful.

#657 7 years ago

I would put something over my face too if I was in that picture.

#658 7 years ago

I picture those are the guys begging for another Star Wars pinball machine.

#659 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

Noted.
    But I stand by my statement. The Star Wars franchise has changed dramatically since those machines were manufactured. Star Wars has had it's own resurgence in recent years. It has reinvigorated old fans and brought in a new generation of new fans. Granted many won't spend 6-8k ($11k AU) on a pinball machine, but I'm certain that the pinball community will support the game (in big numbers) provided it is not a dud.

When ep1 was coming... the pent up demand was unstoppable.

There will not be this wave of buyers coming out of the woodwork expanding the pin market just because it's Star Wars.

#660 7 years ago

I would be down for a Pulp Fiction LE if Stern is listening. I'll even pay $$$ for a cool topper.

#661 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

There will not be this wave of buyers coming out of the woodwork expanding the pin market just because it's Star Wars.

I doubt even this guy will want one.

mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpgmark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg

#662 7 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I would be down for a Pulp Fiction LE if Stern is listening. I'll even pay $$$ for a cool topper.

And we wonder why prices keep going up....

#663 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That looks more like darth vaders grandfather not son.

#664 7 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

And we wonder why prices keep going up....

What about this as a topper?

pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpgpulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg

#665 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

That looks more like darth vaders grandfather not son.

Maybe he digs Aerosmith.

#666 7 years ago

Just think , If they were to launch Star Wars and Aerosmith at the same time, they could have a mega old farts convention reunion of sorts.

But you would have to send in an application, a video and a down payment on both to attend.

#667 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Gottlieb Sys 80s Ice, they are great and cheap.

Ice Fever is Trudeau greatest game.

#668 7 years ago

Is it me or am I the only who thinks pulp fiction wouldn't be a good pin? (And I'm a fan of the movie)

#669 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is it me or am I the only who thinks pulp fiction wouldn't be a good pin?

it would be newer than everything else, for sure.

#670 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is it me or am I the only who thinks pulp fiction wouldn't be a good pin? (And I'm a fan of the movie)

I think it would be awesome. Foot Massage Multiball, Zed's Dead, 5 Dollar Milkshake, Pot Belly, Say What Again! Big Kahuna Burger, etc.

This would have to be a pin for adults with all of the F bombs in tact, and actual call outs from the movie are an absolute must.

#671 7 years ago

You had me at Big Kahuna Burger!

#672 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You had me at Big Kahuna Burger!

Don't forget to wash it down with Sprite.

LTG : )

#673 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Well get ready because its coming. Ritchie style, not Steve.

#674 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I think it would be awesome. Foot Massage Multiball, Zed's Dead, 5 Dollar Milkshake, Pot Belly, Say What Again! Big Kahuna Burger, etc.
    This would have to be a pin for adults with all of the F bombs in tact, and actual call outs from the movie are an absolute must.

Just like the call outs from the Walking Dead were a must?

I can hear the hick voice now: "Bits of brain Multiball!"

I don't trust Stern to guarantee a spot-on machine...

#675 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Well get ready because its coming. Ritchie style, not Steve.

Can't wait! Still waiting to see if that means Mark is putting in his 2 weeks notice at Raw Thrills or if I'm now working for a pinball company and nobody has told me about it yet

#676 7 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Just like the call outs from the Walking Dead were a must?

No. Call outs directly from TWD sure would have been nice, especially compared to what's there, but would be nowhere close to as important as they would be with Pulp Fiction in my opinion.

Pulp Fiction is one of the most quotable films of all time. The dialogue is what makes the movie great. The same can't be said for TWD.

I always said I'd prefer a more general zombie themed pin vs one based on TWD anyway, so not having call outs from the show isn't that huge of a deal (although it makes you wonder why they even bothered getting the license).

#677 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Just think , If they were to launch Star Wars and Aerosmith at the same time, they could have a mega old farts convention reunion of sorts.
    But you would have to send in an application, a video and a down payment on both to attend.

Pre order both games with your social security check and get white glove delivery.

#678 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think it would be about as good as Big Lebowski. Fun idea, great on paper, and the further into it you get the less interesting it actually becomes. I was super excited for TBL, but then realized it's just a bit flat as a theme for a game.

Yes, Pulp Fiction is "quotable", but that just means a bunch of callouts that aren't really all that great out of context. "Talky" movies just aren't great fodder for pinball, IMHO. (I'm a fan of the movie too.)

I'm a Tarantino fan in general, have been since Reservoir Dogs, seen that movie who knows how many times, saw Hateful Eight at the 70mm roadshow etc, and if the rumor is true I hope it's good, wouldn't wish for a game to be bad. But I just think it's Not A Great Idea™ personally.

--

I'm bored to death with licensed pins, even if they're a necessary evil. But with the whole world of options out there, at least pick good ones. Ghostbusters was a good license. WOZ was a good one. Hobbit wasn't, but only because the movies ended up being disappointing and not all that great, the idea for a pin was there. Before anyone asks I think Alien is a great license, or I wouldn't have gotten sucked into it. But generally speaking great movie ≠ great pin. Because the things that make a movie great just aren't necessarily the same as things that make a pin great.

As for Star Wars, I'm a f—king Star Wars nut. I have display cases full of hundreds of toys, whole family went to Force Awakens twice, we loved Rogue One, I'm in on it. I actually hope no one makes a Star Wars pin. It's just going to be disappointing. Expectations will never match the commercial reality. See every previous Star Wars game. See Game of Thrones.

Regardless though, this idea that just general non-pinhead fans are going to line up to shell out $5500+ or whatever Stern raises prices to is ludicrous. Being a fan doesn't make you a moron. It's just a game collectible, you could get much cooler Star Wars stuff for that money.

#679 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Regardless though, this idea that just general non-pinhead fans are going to line up to shell out $5500+ or whatever Stern raises prices to is ludicrous. Being a fan doesn't make you a moron. It's just a game collectible, you could get much cooler Star Wars stuff for that money.

Like what? Rogue One was great. If you are shelling out $5500 for Star Wars crap other than a pinball machine you are flushing it down the toilet.

A K2 robot?

#680 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Maybe that is his "I wish they would bring back Metalocalypse" face.

#681 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Well, the modes wouldn't be linear...so it's already got a leg up on GB....OOOOOOOOOOHHHH!!!

#682 7 years ago

People will just have to get used to taking a bigger hit when selling their NIB pin down the road.

Clearly the market has spoken, and the average newer game post 2005 - seems to have a top at $6500-7500. It's very difficult to see games sell that much higher unless there's significant value due to lack of supply- even STLE holds well due to that reason.

But look at JJP's games.. WOZ and TH. I bought my TH in June for $8300 shipped and sold it last month for $7500. That's the most I was getting offered for it. Really new WOZ's sold for $8500-9K delivered are struggling to sell at $6900-7K.

Stern raising prices will really make people go to the second hand market vs NIB. Something has to give, because people aren't going to be happy taking hits like that- hits that will only get worse as pinflation's current trend keeps rocketing upwards.

#683 7 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

I'm now working for a pinball company

congrats! must be awesome!

i know I am pumped to have the head of competitive pinball/ IFPA now working at a pinball company!

#684 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Stern raising prices will really make people go to the second hand market vs NIB.

This has already happened, but not exclusively Stern games.

Holiday sales for used games are off the charts from dealers.
    The market is going deeper and deeper into uncharted territory for very old games.
    NIB games are already stalling, but this is not Stern's concern as they are not catering to the average home owner anymore.
    Over blinged home games with $3K of mods have already stalled.
    Overpriced HUO games recently produced in the last 5 years with "less than 200 plays" have stalled unless highly collectible LEs, and I still would not believe the owner based on code updates.
    The days of flipping games are not quite over though, as they are still plenty of people "with the fever" spending money.
    This has been evident with BM66 LE that have already exchanged preorder hands from people off this website.
    Still humorous to watch people ogle over a sold $11K BM66 LE change hands for a "slot" and consider another "resale resale" when the games are still not ready.
    Price speculation bites people in the ass sometimes, unless money and space is not an object.
    If its not a problem, and its fun to do online auctioneering bartering, I say go for it.

However,when new pinball customers have a choice, they don't want to pay the price of a used car for a home toy.
    Many don't know the difference between a Lethal Weapon 3 and a Four Million BC, anyway.
    I cannot blame them.
    Not everybody buys new games, and they do not reside on these forums.

#685 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Like what? Rogue One was great. If you are shelling out $5500 for Star Wars crap other than a pinball machine you are flushing it down the toilet.
    A K2 robot?

Well first off, just skip the shelling out $5500 part, because it's dumb.

But in the world of Star Wars collectibles you can do a hell of a lot more with that money. This notion that a Star Wars pin is a license to print money is just silly. Fans are not going to be lining up around the block to buy it, just not going to happen.

#686 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This notion that a Star Wars pin is a license to print money is just silly. Fans are not going to be lining up around the block to buy it, just not going to happen.

And non fans will probably just laugh it off.

#687 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

But in the world of Star Wars collectibles you can do a hell of a lot more with that money. This notion that a Star Wars pin is a license to print money is just silly. Fans are not going to be lining up around the block to buy it, just not going to happen.

Yep....I'm a huge Star Wars fan. In fact the whole family is. No plans to purchase the upcoming Star Wars pin. Maybe someday on the secondary market. I'm done (for now) with NIBs. And by "for now" I mean until the pricing comes back down to earth....if it doesn't then I won't be buying NIB pins period. I said a couple years ago that 6k was my ceiling on ANY pin.....haven't hit it yet and don't plan to anytime soon.

That is not a financial ceiling for me.....just an arbitrary "pinball machines are WORTH no more than this" limit I came to. Above 5-6k there are better things I can be spending my money on.

#688 7 years ago

A Stern Star Wars pin will have two ramps and an R2D2 bash toy and it will take 2 years for the code to be complete however it will probably sell.

If someone would have told me that people would be paying $10-$15k for a re-worked version of the Costco BDK with a small color display, I would have laughed. Shows you what I know.

#689 7 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

People will just have to get used to taking a bigger hit when selling their NIB pin down the road.

That was always the case. Austin Powers, South Park, WPT, T3, Sopranos, Ripleys...we're all $2000 or less on the used market for the longest time, and that's when they were about $3500 new. So, if a $9000 NIB game is sold down the road for $7500, it's not unprecedented. And hey, let's face it ...it's still a chunk of change and not a huge loss for what was essentially "renting" a game for a while.

#690 7 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

My friends and neighbors could care less which games I have.
    I had twelve 10 year old girls over the other day for my daughter's birthday party. Do you think they played WOZ or KISS? The hit of the party was a game from 1969 and not even a pin.

What's that they're playing on?

Same here, when my non-pinhead friends come over to play, they couldn't care less what titles they are. The most popular game at mine is always The Sopranos, but they dig all of them.

In the UK, hardly any of my pinhead friends buy NIB, it's a luxury item like a car, and not that many people have more than one car. We all circulate the same second hand titles, but the prices have shot up by 20-30% on most machines in the last 18 months. Lots of new blood is good for the hobby, but plenty of the new guys seem to have very deep pockets: on the UK forum, nearly all the guys who are discussing their NIB games are newcomers. It's not a hobby for postmen and teachers and mechanics any more.

I'm glad I got my collection pretty much complete between 2010-2015, much better of course to have done it 10 years earlier. I'd cash out in a heartbeat if I suddenly needed the money, then later I'd track down my 3-5 favourites to play in my retirement, and just get my fix of variety at pinball shows.

All change. Merry Christmas pinsiders

#691 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Fans aren't, I'm not, but the LE list is already a mile long.

What can you do with that $$ in the Star Wars collectible world that isn't dumb?

Non pinheads aren't buying any pinball machine of any stripe.

#692 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Fans aren't, I'm not, but the LE list is already a mile long.

Is it? Just the usual Pinsiders putting down some kind of hold my place deposit with distributors right? That doesn't really mean much to me. I'm sure the LE will sell out regardless though. LE buyers aren't who the price increases are hitting.

Quoted from iceman44:

What can you do with that $$ in the Star Wars collectible world that isn't dumb?

Well, I mean, to be clear it's all dumb. But I support people being free to be dumb with their money. Buy an overpriced pin, it's okay with me. I just think it will sound dumber to Star Wars collectors than say, going on a shopping spree at Sideshow: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/brands/star-wars/?ref=Z1C1-starwars

Just as an example of somewhere where you could drop a ton of cash easily on things to impress your friends or make yourself happy or whatever impulse drives you.

Stern can charge whatever they want, so can JJP and Heighway and all the rest. I'm not an idiot, I hope people buy Alien, I'll have wasted years of my life if they don't on that project. Don't let me try and talk you out of it!

But I'm out. No more from me. I just don't get enough value out of Yet Another Pinball™ that NIB doesn't feel like a waste of money. If there really is a Star Wars game I hope it's fun and lovely and doesn't suck. My life will go on without buying it.

#693 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Well, I mean, to be clear it's all dumb. But I support people being free to be dumb with their money. Buy an overpriced pin, it's okay with me. I just think it will sound dumber to Star Wars collectors than say, going on a shopping spree at Sideshow: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/brands/star-wars/?ref=Z1C1-starwars

Stormtrooper life-size figure for the bargain bin price of $7999!!!

IF there are Star Wars fans that drop that kind of dumb $$$ on that thing, then surely they would drop dumb $$$ on a collectible pinball machine they can actually play? If they knew about it.

I guess pinheads are just smarter consumers

#694 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I know right? I almost linked that one up, ridiculous. Here's the thing though, people aren't lining up around the block to buy that.

#695 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I bet the Empire wasn't spending that on a real one.

#696 7 years ago

Ted knows a thing or two about stormtroopin.

#697 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That was always the case. Austin Powers, South Park, WPT, T3, Sopranos, Ripleys...we're all $2000 or less on the used market for the longest time, and that's when they were about $3500 new. So, if a $9000 NIB game is sold down the road for $7500, it's not unprecedented. And hey, let's face it ...it's still a chunk of change and not a huge loss for what was essentially "renting" a game for a while.

As far as I am concerned any one who leaves the hobby because he does not make a profit on his used game is no loss to the hobby.

#698 7 years ago
    Quoted from cooldan:

What's that they're playing on?

1969 Midway Sea Raider.
    EM periscope "gun" game using fluorescent lighting for targets and a light bar which represents the torpedoes.
    Very popular in its age.

Example in fully restored condition:

#699 7 years ago

Have not seen anyone actually list what the increase is, just 14 pages of complaining? I found out what the increase is (not saying so don't ask) and it isn't very much. Not enough that I am upset about it and I buy a lot of new Sterns. Not enough for a 14 page pitchfork rant either. If the increase is large from your dist then they are just trying to make more money off you.

#700 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

IF there are Star Wars fans that drop that kind of dumb $$$ on that thing, then surely they would drop dumb $$$ on a collectible pinball machine they can actually play? If they knew about it.
    I guess pinheads are just smarter consumers

I'm a bit of a dumbass when it comes to Star Wars, but I never paid $7999...

darth (resized).jpgdarth (resized).jpg

Sabers (resized).jpgSabers (resized).jpg

There are 804 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-another-price-increase-tell-them-no/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.