(Topic ID: 175720)

Stern announces another price increase- TELL THEM NO!

By shacklersrevenge

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 804 posts
  • 223 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will you continue to buy NEW Stern games?”

• No 510 votes
      75%
    • Yes 87 votes
      13%
    • unsure 87 votes
      13%

(684 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aerosmith-topper-concept1 (resized).jpg
    20161223_112227 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104858 (resized).jpg
    20161223_104905 (resized).jpg
    00image-7 (resized).jpg
    000image-8 (resized).jpg
    20161228_163457 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Sabers (resized).jpg
    darth (resized).jpg
    pulp-fiction-pulp-fiction-13185677-1920-810 (resized).jpg
    mark-hamill-star-wars-the-force-awakens-png (resized).jpg
    SeaRaider (resized).jpg
    338033145f188f99b6ac6def558ea45bc62dc68b (resized).jpg
    mmrow (resized).jpg
    139rxc (resized).jpg

There are 804 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 17.
    #1 7 years ago

So Stern has just announced a new price increase for January 2017 and has put the pressure to the distributors again. This is too soon. With their issues, lack of adequate code across the board and cost shaving, we are getting less and less and Stern keeps getting more and more. This to me is no longer acceptable.

Show your support below that you are OUT and make Stern take notice of this post. I am a Stern Pinball fan and I like their games but enough is enough. Stern, stop hiding the real numbers and skirting around what people actually have to pay, typically a PRO costs $5000 and a Premium at $6600-6700, why is this such a secret when we're the ones that pay for it?

Tell them NO with your wallet.

#2 7 years ago

Didn't we assume this was happening with Aerosmith and the new LCD screen?

Does this affect the existing DMD titles too? I would assume it doesn't but if it does that's stupid.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Didn't we assume this was happening with Aerosmith and the new LCD screen?
    Does this affect the existing DMD titles too? I would assume it doesn't but if it does that's stupid.

Not sure yet but in the past price increases have also been applied to existing titles.

#5 7 years ago

I have been waiting since May for my GB/PRe,still no word!! Now,we hear the new B66 needs lane protectors like GB???Yes,I may be DONE, as well!!!!

#6 7 years ago

Done with Stern. Not that they will care...or notice.

#7 7 years ago

I'm not going to say I won't buy another game as I'm interested in the next Whizbang release. I won't be buying another normal release pro/premium/LE NIB though. If there's something I really want I'll wait and get HUO after the original buyer waits for it, deals with the code, adds mods, and fixes all of the gameplay issues.

Stern makes some really good games. I'm not sure price increases are going to be received well when 2016 had major shipping delays, major QC issues, price increases, and very little in the way of code releases. "Stay tuned" for the next price increase.

#8 7 years ago

The reality of the situation, is that Stern hasn't hit that price point to where sales are affected. They can't keep up with demand.

#9 7 years ago

Where's the announcement of the price increase? I haven't seen anything posted.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I'm not sure price increases are going to be received well when 2016 had major shipping delays, major QC issues, price increases, and very little in the way of code releases. "Stay tuned" for the next price increase.

And this is why. Relentless price increases while downgrading quality and code support.

I agree that they are making some interesting, fun games but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Buying a new Stern is very stressful due to the uncertainty. Not what I want out of a hobby.

#11 7 years ago

spooky getting my money

#12 7 years ago

Already voted no with my wallet as I want a GB Prem, Spiderman Vault and Kiss. Won't pay these stupid prices anymore for these toys. Waiting for used now.

I bet the price increase is to cover replacement pf's.

#14 7 years ago

Do you have a link on where Stern said this or is this via a distributor?

#15 7 years ago

I won't be buying a new Stern until they get their act together.

I bailed on my GBLE due to the ghosting issue. Are decals still peeling off heads or is that a thing of the past?

#16 7 years ago

I predict this will be a long thread.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I have been waiting since May for my GB/PRe,still no word!! Now,we hear the new B66 needs lane protectors like GB???Yes,I may be DONE, as well!!!!

Any chance you could share where you heard about BM66 needing lane protectors? I am pretty interested as I have a deposit down on an LE but if the ramp flaps over half of catwomans head are not rectified and lane protectors are needed then I will be dropping out for 10k I expect almost perfect not almost good enough.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Do you have a link on where Stern said this or is this via a distributor?

Distributor

#19 7 years ago

Still waiting for my GBLE playfield replacement, which Gary Stern himself told me on the phone would be in October. Now Patrick Powers tells me that program has been "pushed back" and won't tell me when my playfield will be replaced anymore.

After all the GB issues, they then have the nerve to jack prices up? No thanks. I voted with my wallet already, and recently bought an MMR and a TZ instead of ordering BM66 which actually looked pretty cool to me. I'll never buy another Stern NIB and play that lotto again..

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Any chance you could share where you heard about BM66 needing lane protectors? I am pretty interested as I have a deposit down on an LE but if the ramp flaps over half of catwomans head are not rectified and lane protectors are needed then I will be dropping out for 10k I expect almost perfect not almost good enough.

Almost perfect and Stern?

Ain't gonna happen.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Almost perfect and Stern?
    Ain't gonna happen.

That was kind of my point, when you want to charge these prices, the quality has to reflect it otherwise people will bail, I for one will happily miss out on BM66 and any other dream theme.

#23 7 years ago

Finally, everyone is listening and not spending thousands of dollars on bullshit games that aren't complete and quality is less than desirable.
    Do not buy unfinished games. Period! There is not reason to do so and we should wait until code is complete and quality is brought back to
    Williams/Bally grade.

#24 7 years ago

Wizard of Oz and Hobbit were my last 2 purchased games.

I was going to get Ghostbusters and Walking Dead.

#25 7 years ago

I heard it was possible to enjoy pinball without needing to buy the latest overpriced , undercoded LE

#26 7 years ago

Wow. Yup, I'll be passing on a GB for now and may pick one up used down the road. The quality issues, reducing value (less in games) and taking forever for code updates (that may then just be bug fixes and minor additions) just doesn't make me want to support a company like Stern with a NIB sale.

Also, Stern has increased their bottom line through cost savings with the Spike system (one tiny all in one board), the new backbox design, not offering support rails on pro's, and replacing the traditional lockdown bar with latches. Did any of that = prices staying the same, more code updates, or increased quality? No...that's sad.

73834177 (resized).jpg73834177 (resized).jpg

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I heard it was possible to enjoy pinball without needing to buy the latest overpriced , undercoded LE

Who told you this? Stern is very interested in finding this person.

#28 7 years ago

My limit has been reached just prior to BM66. I have bought almost every game nib since the second release of tron. (Wwe being the exception). Bummer but I am sure there will be second hand deals out there. Would be hard to justify even a dream theme at this point.

#29 7 years ago

Stern's quality control has gone into the crapper! They'll tell you they can't keep up with demand. Don't tell that to the distributors that are sitting on inventory that's almost two years old with games like The Walking Dead, Spiderman VE, Ghostbusters, KISS, Game of Thrones, WWE. As their reputation of poor quality continues to get worse their sales will suffer as distributors will be hesitant to buy new pinballs because of a declining reputation and poor quality.

#30 7 years ago

I bought 4 NIB in 2 years 2012-14

XMLE
    Tron pro
    STLE
    IMVE

that's $24K in 2 years time, but the LAST pin I bought from Stern was IMVE over 2 years ago.

Since then CQ or lack of code or price increases (or de-content for the same price) has led me to buying re-sale games.

Have bought 6 other Stern games but not from Stern directly, have been re-sale pins after the code was finished AcDc, Met, TWD or older pins like Tspp, SM, Lotr which were already finished code.

I'll say being in on ST and XM with poor code was really the breaking point. I would have bought SMVE if the price was a bit lower.

#31 7 years ago

Also voted with wallet. Heck, they can't even finish KISS code.

Bought a mint AFM instead of a Stern premium.

#32 7 years ago

Glad Heighway is around so we have alternatives for new pins.

I could get a IM or Avatar NIB to my front door in 2010 for $3600. No reason pros should be what they're going for now. Certainly isn't because there are so many more mechanisms or parts being put into the machines.

#33 7 years ago

Useless thread unfortunately. Between all the NIB flippers and people who have money, they are raising prices because they can and they know it. If they are selling games with enough room for NIB flippers to make money, then they are idiots. And people who can afford it will continue to buy as they should.

Also, spoiler alert, prices will go up again after this.

#34 7 years ago

Stern's gotta pay for those replacement GB LE playfields somehow.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Useless thread unfortunately. Between all the NIB flippers and people who have money, they are raising prices because they can and they know it. If they are selling games with enough room for NIB flippers to make money, then they are idiots. And people who can afford it will continue to buy as they should.
    Also, spoiler alert, prices will go up again after this.

You know what? You're wrong. They can and they will, maybe...but not from ME.

#36 7 years ago

Absolutely hold their feet to the fire at any price (even $3k) for the quality issues, but the price increases shouldn't surprise anyone.

Spooky is the only competition in the pro price range, but their volume is currently so low that it's not an option for many.

Heighway is the only competition in the premium price range, but again, volume of games shipping is an issue for many.

Customers who want a new game frankly don't have a lot of options; until the market really can't bear the prices, they will keep rising. Alternatively, Spooky / Heighway / Homepin start producing enough games in volume to become real competitors at those lower prices.

#37 7 years ago

I'd love to join the boycott but Aerosmith looks awesome and you know Star Wars is gonna rule. And pulp fiction with Mark Ritchie making a comeback?

As soon as I'm done buying all three of these I'll be sure to rosa parks this shit along with you guys.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd love to join the boycott but Aerosmith looks awesome and you know Star Wars is gonna rule. And pulp fiction with Mark Ritchie making a comeback?
    As soon as I'm done buying all three of these I'll be sure to rosa parks this shit along with you guys.

How many NIB have you purchased? My guess is none. I'd get off that branch, looks like it's about to buckle under the weight of your inflated ego.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And as soon as Stern quality and attention to detail can match my daughter's Barbie Dreamhouse, I'll be back.

#40 7 years ago

When you guys are done in this thread, could you also please start boycotting groceries, hydro, and plane tickets for me?
    Thanks much!

#41 7 years ago

I'm not someone with money to burn, but I recognize that as long as the used market continues to do as well as it does, what difference does it really make? If people can continue to sell games for what they roughly pay for them (maybe a little more or a little less), then the party continues. If for some reason that model ceases to exist, nighty night to Stern, and nighty night to a hobby that has paid for itself for the past 15 years.

#42 7 years ago

I don't think the people who will wait to buy HUO are doing anything to solve the problem either. They're still allowing the guys with limited room to buy the next Stern NIB & get rid of it whenever they want for almost what they paid. So it encourages those people to keep buying NIB Sterns. If you're really fed up & done, be done. Stop posing like you're actually going to 'show them'. Otherwise you're still part of the problem.

Disclaimer: I'm part of the problem because I buy what I want. Sometimes it's Stern NIB & sometimes it's not. To me I'm excited about BM66 so I'm getting one.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

When you guys are done in this thread, could you also please start boycotting groceries, hydro, and plane tickets for me?
    Thanks much!

Certainly, right after I don't have to hear another Canadian bitch to me about the exchange rate and having to pay border fees to get their game.

#44 7 years ago

Honestly who cares. They're toys. None of us actually needs them. If you can't afford it or think the price doesn't equal what you're getting (which is why I don't buy nib), don't buy them. I don't get all the complaining. Suck it up buttercup - you've got choices. You already know quality is going to be shit and the code will be slow or never. If this is acceptable and you have the money then by all means keep pinball alive!

#45 7 years ago

I've said this before. I'm also done with NIB Stern.

Bought the following Stern NIB:
    Lotr x2
    Monopoly
    Family Guy
    Tron
    AC/DC Premium
    Metallica Premium x2
    Star Trek Premium x2
    Family Guy
    Walking Dead LE
    Iron Man VE
    Spiderman VE x2
    GBLE
    POTC
    South Park
    WPT
    Xmen LE
    Kiss LE
    Mustang

Stern will be missing out on my money going forward. I have been buying Bally Williams games lately.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Thanks much!

FYI for others, by "Hydro", he means Electricity.

#47 7 years ago

I can't match the price with the quality of the product. Can I afford more? Yes. Will I pay more for a Stern? Not at this time. I think they have great potential with their titles. The problem is the designers are not given enough time to make a quality game. Everything seems to be rushed and the overall product suffers.

The only title that had my eye was GB. Of course we know where that ended up. There is a market for high-priced pins. I think JJP has a lot of that market looking their way now. Although there might be an opening with the release of Dialed In. Of course, they will be announcing a 4th title probably by the end of Q1 or Q2.

Should be interesting to see how this all shakes out. The costs of the GB recall have to be huge. That is not a rounding error on their books. That had to play into their decision to raise prices.

Hopefully all of these prices will level out as more and more of the market refuses to shell out this kind of cash.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Certainly, right after I don't have to hear another Canadian bitch to me about the exchange rate and having to pay border fees to get their game.

Well I wasn't going to bring that up, but since you did already, yes. In Canada we're paying the amount that you're whining about, + 35% exchange rate presently, + 13% for taxes, AND a little more since our distributors aren't are competitive as they are in the States.

So cry, cry, cry til all yours tears are gone. You don't know how good you have it.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And pulp fiction with Mark Ritchie making a comeback?

I didn't realize that:

A) he put in his notice at Raw Thrills

Or

B) Raw Thrills is jumping into pinball

I guess I'll have some questions to ask during our Monday morning engineering meeting

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I can't match the price with the quality of the product. Can I afford more? Yes. Will I pay more for a Stern? Not at this time. I think they have great potential with their titles. The problem is the designers are not given enough time to make a quality game. Everything seems to be rushed and the overall product suffers.
    The only title that had my eye was GB. Of course we know where that ended up. There is a market for high-priced pins. I think JJP has a lot of that market looking their way now. Although there might be an opening with the release of Dialed In. Of course, they will be announcing a 4th title probably by the end of Q1 or Q2.
    Should be interesting to see how this all shakes out. The costs of the GB recall have to be huge. That is not a rounding error on their books. That had to play into their decision to raise prices.
    Hopefully all of these prices will level out as more and more of the market refuses to shell out this kind of cash.

The first sentence of your post nailed it. I would pay the higher prices as well but not for what they are offering. Why on Earth would I pay more for less quality, less features and less code? It just doesn't make any sense. Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time but I'm not going to drop $5k-$8k on the pin because of that. At some point these crazy NIB prices need to be backed up by value and Stern has been failing terribly in that category. Stern won't even put proper support rails on a toy that cost $5k (the pro). Oh, metal rails are only offered on premiums and LE's. Give me a break Stern.

In the words of Peter Venkman "I need to feel loved, I need to be desired"...Stern isn't doing that for any customer right now, lol.

There are 804 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-announces-another-price-increase-tell-them-no and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.