(Topic ID: 43295)

Stern and optos

By dinot

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Hi all,
    As I was adjusting some wire gates and switches on a couple of Sterns, I was wondering why Stern doesn't use optos on their ramp entrances. In my experience optos on ramps are more reliable than switches.

Just curious.

#2 11 years ago

Like the set of optos on the top of the ramp on POTC going to the mix master ?

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

I wouldn't be confident that it'd be reliable on location. Stern ball trough optos have given me a lot of trouble, and the Tron recognizer entrance opto isn't the most reliable switch either. Physical switches with actuator arms, it's more obvious how to fix and idiot proof than optos.

Optos are probably more expensive too, which is probably the real reason.

#4 11 years ago

How about those trough optos? Its not like I keep a cubby bin filled with those.... (hyperbole, but seriously its the #1 problem on my and my friend's Sterns)

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

How about those trough optos? Its not like I keep a cubby bin filled with those.... (hyperbole, but seriously its the #1 problem on my and my friend's Sterns)

I got so tired of screwing with them that I keep two extra sets on hand at all times for quick replacement. Nothing worse than having a machine go down at a party and having to wait a week for parts. Now I just switch them out in about 5 minutes. I have yet to have an led on them go bad, it is always the solder joint and a reflow always makes them useable again. the last go around a removed all the cra factory solder and used a good lead solder. It has yet to go bad again.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Like the set of optos on the top of the ramp on POTC going to the mix master ?
    LTG : )

Good one. Those caused all kinds of problems.

When mechanical switches fail they generally just don't work. When optos fail they often times send rapid switch state changes to the CPU causing all kinds of fun.

Optos are normally closed switches as far as the CPU is concerned. When the ball passes through the opto the switch "opens" briefly. But also, when power is interrupted to the opto, the switch "opens" as far as the CPU is concerned. And this is the issue most of the time - cold solder joints on the optos causing power to be intermittent - when this occurs the CPU sees multiple state changes.

So when optos are working correctly they are a nice solid state switch. But when they have issues the problems are more dramatic and many times intermittent and difficult to troubleshoot.

Parker

Parker

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-and-optos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.