• 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Sandman454
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Ali Stern Electronics, 1980

Topic poll

“Favorite Ali Quote:”

• Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee! His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see! 3 votes
    50%
  • I should be a postage stamp! That's the only way I'll get licked! 0 votes
  • I've wrestled with alligators, I've tussled with whales! I done handcuffed lightning, and thrown thunder in jail! 2 votes
    33%
  • I'm so mean, I make medicine sick! 0 votes
  • If you even beat me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize! 1 vote
    17%
  • I am the greatest! I said that even before I knew I was! 0 votes

(6 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9779.jpeg
IMG_9707.jpeg
IMG_9742.jpeg
IMG_9751.jpeg
IMG_9811.jpeg
Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 11.34.04 AM (resized).png
3B984860-3CD3-49D4-A826-5E7F2831C280 (resized).jpeg
DEDFF507-8B92-4933-B809-473E8A919DB0 (resized).jpeg
EEFE6BF5-A0F4-49E6-A122-7D3FEABDE31E (resized).jpeg
F0EEEF4C-EBFE-4A7D-9EFB-2065ECCADA8D (resized).jpeg
F4CEDC56-2F08-4335-AE51-912128778753 (resized).jpeg
8F740FC4-A85B-4C85-9DAB-7F16EAECDA5D (resized).jpeg
IMG_3441 (resized).jpeg
Adjustments SETTINGS.png
DIP Settings 3BALL NEW CODE.png
DIP Settings 3BALL BASE CODE.png
There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 1 year ago

So like many of you out there, I have a real soft spot for Classic Sterns. And when I recently had the opportunity to purchase an Ali in pretty nice shape, I just couldn’t resist. The Ali boxing theme is timeless, the layout makes for a unique shooter’s game, and all ways to collect bonuses & big points. Plus how many purple cabinet games are out there?

But it does have some flaws to be sure & some areas that could be improved. So that’s what I intend to do. I’ve got some ideas I'm just so accustomed to going over the top with restorations that it will be nice just to focus on gameplay improvement. Doesn't have to look perfect....just want it to play perfect. Since it's a pretty rare to see, this will be one of the games I take to future shows to let others enjoy

There aren’t too many Ali owners out there, but hopefully this thread will be a guide if you ever want to attempt any of these modifications.

So it’s time to start placing orders for parts & get this shop job shuffling! Stay tuned!

DING! DING!
34595B73-AF47-461C-A4E4-6A969BA1B4F5.jpeg34595B73-AF47-461C-A4E4-6A969BA1B4F5.jpeg5E0DB4ED-355E-40E2-8F0F-30B540FEC5D7.jpeg5E0DB4ED-355E-40E2-8F0F-30B540FEC5D7.jpeg0BECF476-2269-4ABB-AF08-4E1BC45FEE16.jpeg0BECF476-2269-4ABB-AF08-4E1BC45FEE16.jpeg

#2 1 year ago

Following! Hard regrets on not picking one of these up over the years. Last chance I had was at $750 but I had convinced myself I was out of room. That was like 10 games less than I have now. Haven’t seen one come up since (reasonably priced at least… that $750 one got butchered with truly terrible touch ups and flipped for $2k)

#3 1 year ago

Oh believe me I am out of room too. Yet I keep buying them because I cannot stop. Haha

This won’t be a 5* Quicksilver scratch build. Just want it well shopped, clean as a whistle, playing well, with many improvements that they should have done when it was first released.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

with many improvements that they should have done when it was first released.

like physical changes and/or software changes?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

like physical changes and/or software changes?

Both hopefully

#6 1 year ago

I say go big or go home. That upper tri-saucer mech is BEGGING for some sort of skill shot based multi ball mode where you get as many balls as you can skillfully plunge into a saucer.

#7 1 year ago

Skillshot on the plunge for sure. Adding Multiball would certainly take it to another level. And adding importance to the U-turn spinner/rollover, because it's the longest & coolest shot on the playfield & there's practically no reason to risk shooting for it, other than when the extra ball is lit.

So yes there's a lot that can be improved for sure. But I'm just going to start with the simple stuff first, like adding 7-digit displays. The game is just way to easy to roll.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Skillshot on the plunge for sure. Adding Multiball would certainly take it to another level. And adding importance to the U-turn spinner/rollover, because it's the longest & coolest shot on the playfield & there's practically no reason to risk shooting for it, other than when the extra ball is lit.
So yes there's a lot that can be improved for sure. But I'm just going to start with the simple stuff first, like adding 7-digit displays. The game is just way to easy to roll.

That's a good start. Recreating the original game is a good learning process where you can focus on figuring out how to program the various basics and not get lost trying to re-design things before you know how to implement those ideas.

1 month later
#9 1 year ago

Following… any updates?

#10 1 year ago

I haven't had much time for this project in the last month for multiple reasons.

The good news is that I'm finally through it all now & I can get back to working on this. I placed several orders for parts in December & I have everything I need on hand. So I should be making good progress with more updates in February.

I've been speaking with Slochar about the updated code & he's working through some issues & ideas. By the time he's done with that, I should have the game shopped, upgraded & ready for code testing.

Still on track to have it ready for GSPF in May

#11 1 year ago

The game didn’t arrive with a MPU, so finally got around to installing the Weebly MPU & lamp driver boards for testing. Everything powered up & working now. Now that I know it’s functioning, I’m going to pull the playfield to the rotisserie so it’s easier to install the replacement parts.

The Weebly MPU makes it so easy to add updated code via the expansion slot. This new version even has support for Scorebit & Arduino if you want. Weebly products are the best out there IMO.

B5AE36FE-60C0-4222-A251-9DF3AB376089 (resized).jpegB5AE36FE-60C0-4222-A251-9DF3AB376089 (resized).jpegE60010E9-2A7C-4B06-871A-0372A05CE29F (resized).jpegE60010E9-2A7C-4B06-871A-0372A05CE29F (resized).jpeg
#12 1 year ago

Also started soldering together the Pinitech displays. Upgrading from 6 to 7 digits with the revised code.

9030DBD1-788D-4516-8071-86413FEADFA4 (resized).jpeg9030DBD1-788D-4516-8071-86413FEADFA4 (resized).jpeg
#13 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The game is just way to easy to roll.

Aww.. I figured part of the game was to try to tilt as close to 999999 as possible. I mean.. It's a tilt with Ali.

#14 1 year ago

Ali6373 added to:
http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/

7 digit displays added (this time without the annoying artifacts of earlier 7 digit conversions of meteor and galaxy)
added skill shot
added bell
added ??? (spot the differences!!)

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Ali6373 added to:
http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/
7 digit displays added (this time without the annoying artifacts of earlier 7 digit conversions of meteor and galaxy)
added skill shot
added bell
added ??? (spot the differences!!)

I didn’t think you’d have it ready that quickly. Can’t wait to try it out! I’ll have to work faster

Were you able to implement everything we discussed previously?

#16 1 year ago

Not the spinner. You said that was least important

Also I was actually done a couple of weeks ago it's being tested.... and the previous 7 digit scheme which was copied from meteor was even older. I ripped that all out because I wasn't satisfied with the way it messed up the self test and audits some were shifted over.

The spinner can be easy to implement scoring wise, but doing the lamps (however) is the difficult part. I know you want that shot to be worth more; I see that when it's not lit, it's always 2k (that's a lot for a spinner, really, I'm surprised more people DON'T shoot for it.... unless it's not safe. I can see why everyone wants the bonus collect). When it's lit for extra ball, it pays the extra ball + 10k, which is interesting. It only pays the 10k once though all subsequent spins would be 2k.

I suppose I should add a spinner counter as well. Have to look at how much room is left.

Also, how about something crazy like bonus collect only lights for a bit AFTER you nail the spinner? That would change the strategy alot.... also apparently the greatest letters being worth a ton of points means the left bank is a good shot?

Why not play it a bit with the current setup and see if you think of any other ways to balance the PF?

#17 1 year ago

Yeah it’s hard for me to say since I have such little time on it.

My feeling about the base code is that once Ali & Greatest are spelled, it becomes rinse-repeat bonus collect at the saucer and greatest collects for huge points. Especially if 5x is lit. No incentive to shoot the spinner other than for the extra ball collect really.

That long spinner U-turn shot is the best in the game IMO. Was just trying to add a rule to entice players to go for it more often. I feel it can be dangerous too depending on setup, since entry on the right side sends it ripping out the other side towards the RT outlane.

Your idea is interesting for sure about only allowing another bonus collect after hitting the spinner. There is a rollover up there you could tie that too.

Or the other idea was to light 4K/spin spinner scoring for a brief period of time after dropping all the rope-a-dope 3-bank targets. Perhaps make this only occur after 5x has been lit. Make those controlled multiplier inserts at that 3-bank blink when the double spinner scoring is active.

Obviously spinner counts are awesome if you can find space for it. 100K bonus if land on intervals of 20 like the QS code.

Curious what other testers think about this

How did you implement the skill shot? Moving ALI letter or just stationary? How many points?

Again thank you so much for doing this. You’ll get full credit on the apron card recognizing your work when I take it to shows.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Yeah it’s hard for me to say since I have such little time on it.
My feeling about the base code is that once Ali & Greatest are spelled, it becomes rinse-repeat bonus collect at the saucer and greatest collects for huge points. Especially if 5x is lit. No incentive to shoot the spinner other than for the extra ball collect really.
That long spinner U-turn shot is the best in the game IMO. Was just trying to add a rule to entice players to go for it more often. I feel it can be dangerous too depending on setup, since entry on the right side sends it ripping out the other side towards the RT outlane.
Your idea is interesting for sure about only allowing another bonus collect after hitting the spinner. There is a rollover up there you could tie that too.
Or the other idea was to light 4K/spin spinner scoring for a brief period of time after dropping all the rope-a-dope 3-bank targets. Perhaps make this only occur after 5x has been lit. Make those controlled multiplier inserts at that 3-bank blink when the double spinner scoring is active.
Obviously spinner counts are awesome if you can find space for it. 100K bonus if land on intervals of 20 like the QS code.
Curious what other testers think about this
How did you implement the skill shot? Moving ALI letter or just stationary? How many points?
Again thank you so much for doing this. You’ll get full credit on the apron card recognizing your work when I take it to shows.

I always kind of figured there was a bit of a skill plunge based on the saucer lights already collected?

slochar Did you ever determine what all the excess code in the rom was for this one?

Wondering if any sort of timeout ideas could work for the bonus collect/ feature collects etc?

#19 1 year ago

koji hey aren’t you the guy who posted that Ali stream on YouTube that featured the implementation of the ring bell?

That video got me really interested in Ali. Thanks for making that

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

koji hey aren’t you the guy who posted that Ali stream on YouTube that featured the implementation of the ring bell?
That video got me really interested in Ali. Thanks for making that

Guilty. lol

Glad it was helpful and looking forward to seeing where you take this. Great project. Great game.

Thanks-

#21 1 year ago

Added spinner counter, with high spin storage and special award on multiple of 20. Max spins will go in the 100s although I doubt anyone could get that.
Added 5x when achieved will flash the 5x on the drop bank for a short time during this time spinner score doubled
Laid some framework to add a separate bell solenoid to the solenoid board so you can have knocker and bell separated
Laid some framework to make coin dips 1-5 and 9-13 be the same so there's 5 dips available to control things

The skill shot moves and scores 100k with GI flashing effect.

Rom is now full, before adding the dip options. Time to start crunching. I haven't done my favorite crunch yet with the checklamp, that will save at least 100-150 bytes. So should be able to do the dip options. Also might be able to add the stuff where you set the # of hstd credits and max credits in the audits if there's room there (maybe cut down the audits for replays won to get space there).

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Added spinner counter, with high spin storage and special award on multiple of 20. Max spins will go in the 100s although I doubt anyone could get that.

I couldn't get many spins from the game I had here.

Quoted from slochar:

Laid some framework to add a separate bell solenoid to the solenoid board so you can have knocker and bell separated

Nice.
Might be worth moving the G.I. flasher relay from a momentary coil drive to a constant coil drive because it affects the pop bumper/slingshots when the G.I flashes from completing GREATEST.

The code has some dead ends with respect to GREATEST and ALI where they don't reset after you get Special. Behavior is different from 3 ball and 5 ball (not that you'd configure 5 ball in 6-digit mode nowadays on this game).

Here's a bug in 5 ball mode:

DIP switches: 22=Off, 23=off, 24=On, 25=Off

First ball
complete GREATEST and ALI (order doesn't matter)
Extra ball lights
Complete GREATEST again
Specials lights
Get Specials (GREATEST target lamps switch off)
drain ball

Next ball
complete ALI
complete GREATEST
Extra ball lights
Hit *any* G-R-E-A-T-E-S-T target/lane and Specials will light.

#23 1 year ago

That bug is stock right with 3 vs 5 ball? I'll look into that one.

The GI relay I might be able to 'cheat' it, I'll look into that as well..... if it's firing the GI relay when a high priority solenoid takes place, I can probably override it.

I have plenty of space back in ram for adding other things, Ali is the last 6 digit game, and they were still allocating 3 bytes for stuff that only takes 2 or 1. So won't have to remove the coin dips. (Plenty of space in this context=4 bytes....)

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

I doubt anyone is breaking 100+ spins either, but I'll let you know after I rebuild my spinner mech & new flipper assemblies. I still haven't broken 100 on QS.
Thank you for adding this feature. Certainly gives another incentive to shoot the spinner if you're awarded a special (100K per dip setting) on a multiple of 20.

Quoted from slochar:

Added 5x when achieved will flash the 5x on the drop bank for a short time during this time spinner score doubled.

I will look at this & see if the length of time needs to be adjusted to get the ball back under control & complete the double spinner shot. Does double spinner feature & 5x flash every time that 3-bank is completed after 5x has been achieved? I will test & take a look.

Quoted from slochar:

Laid some framework to add a separate bell solenoid to the solenoid board so you can have knocker and bell separated.

That's interesting, but I was planning on just moving the knocker coil to strike the bell assembly for an easy setup. What do you think the benefit would be to separate them into two separate solenoids?

Quoted from slochar:

The skill shot moves and scores 100k with GI flashing effect.

Moving A-L-I skill shot for 100K, and GI relay fires if skillshot is made. That really sounds perfect.

Quoted from slochar:

Rom is now full, before adding the dip options. Time to start crunching.

It will be a few weeks before I'm ready to test

#25 1 year ago

The version posted doesn't have those added things just the things I posted about when I posted that I posted it (post)

The time for the 5x is the MAX time you can get, I'd have to do something else to make it longer, so I hope it's good enough. Once you hit it when it's lit it will be doubled until the spinner is done.

The benefit to a bell and knocker is more sounds to annoy people with. It's optional so it's just 'there'.

The 5x will be everytime you complete the drop bank, when it steps from 4x-5x and every time after that.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

That bug is stock right with 3 vs 5 ball? I'll look into that one.

Yes it happens in stock code too on 5 ball mode. Further config info: DIPs 22=Off, 23=off, 24=On, 25=Off
The bug doesn't happen in 3 ball mode because when you achieve Special, the ALI 5k/10k saucer lamps reset (they don't reset in 5 ball mode).

Quoted from slochar:

Added 5x when achieved will flash the 5x on the drop bank for a short time during this time spinner score doubled

If you drain the ball when the 5x lamp is flashing, it will then flash for the remainder of the game (doesn't timeout).

BTW the power-on bug I mentioned to you on email a few weeks back with the stock code relates to DIP switch 8 being ON. Doesn't happen when it's OFF.
For anyone else watching, there is a bug in the factory code with DIP switch 8 ON that if you start a game immediately after power up completes when the displays come on, but before the lamp attract mode starts, the saucers are dead in game and the lower star rollover functions incorrectly by giving abnormal points, instant maximum bonus and doesn't light the flashing G-R-E-S lamp with too many sequences. i.e if you see this behavior your game is not faulty, just set DIP switch 8 OFF as per the manuals recommendation or better yet upgrade to @slochar's ROM which doesn't have the issue

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Also, how about something crazy like bonus collect only lights for a bit AFTER you nail the spinner?

What if the bonus collect timer countdown is relative to how many spins you have? So the more spins you have gives you longer to collect the bonus. Sounds fun to me.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from BeachPickle:

What if the bonus collect timer countdown is relative to how many spins you have? So the more spins you have gives you longer to collect the bonus. Sounds fun to me.

While that sounds interesting, it's implementation would rely completely on how functional the spinner is on an individual game. If you can only get a low amount of spins, then the time would be so short, you'd likely never get to collect a bonus. Might be difficult to code as well.

If any rule change is made to the saucer bonus collect, it should simply be after collecting the saucer bonus, you have to hit the U-turn rollover switch before allowing another saucer bonus collect.

So after collecting a bonus at the saucer, an intelligent player would complete the rope-a-dope 3-bank, get double spinner scoring active, get a great spinner rip as the ball goes over the spinner rollover to allow the next saucer collect, then shoot the saucer for another big bonus collect. Rinse & repeat. That would add more difficulty to the collect process than just hammering the saucer repeatedly, yet also reward an intelligent player for shooting the bank & get double spinner scoring before hitting the rollover. Big big points to be had IF you could pull that off.

I really like that idea. If that's possible to implement. Something to think about. Perhaps not part of the standard rules, but make a dip switch setting to add the spinner rollover switch rule & make the game harder.

#29 1 year ago

Rapidly running out of dips.... The timer thing and your way are both easy to code at this point. Is there a lamp indicating bonus collect available though.... You can't turn the bonus lamps off as that's the actual bonus storage as well.

#30 1 year ago

Yeah I figured it would be quite a crunch for you.

There is no controlled lamp indicating saucer "bonus collect ready" to my knowledge. I think it's pretty much any time you build bonus you can put it in the saucer & collect. Worst case I could add another physical controlled lamp by the scoop (behind it under the plastic or underneath the PF backlighting the saucer) & wire it up if needed. But you are right, there aren't many controlled lamps in that area to use for a "bonus collect ready" function. I'll have to think about that.

Too bad there's no credit lamp in the apron like on a Bally game.

#31 1 year ago

I wonder if they could all blink? Non blink collects bonus 1x. After hitting spinner, they blink for a while. Collect now collect multiplied bonus.

Maybe animate it like an arrow but only using the lit lamps. ROM starting to get full again though.... Starting to get intertwined with options so that there won't be a way to only include certain ones. That's programming stuff though no end user issue.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

get a great spinner rip as the ball goes over the spinner rollover to allow the next saucer collect,

The spinner and adjacent star rollover are exactly the same logical switch. Not sure what the point of the star rollover was other than maybe to make sure potential extra ball was awarded on a comatose ball in the top of the U area that didn't trip the spinner from a mal-adjusted spinner switch.

Collecting maximum bonus (5x 28k) at the right side saucer is a 13 second process. i.e. while rewarding it becomes a boring wait. I'd simply reset bonus back to 2000 once you collect it so you have to build it again, just like the collect bonus saucer on Magic.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

The spinner and adjacent star rollover are exactly the same logical switch. Not sure what the point of the star rollover was other than maybe to make sure potential extra ball was awarded on a comatose ball in the top of the U area that didn't trip the spinner from a mal-adjusted spinner switch.
Collecting maximum bonus (5x 28k) at the right side saucer is a 13 second process. i.e. while rewarding it becomes a boring wait. I'd simply reset bonus back to 2000 once you collect it so you have to build it again, just like the collect bonus saucer on Magic.

I disagree. The saucer bonus collect countdown is one of the charms of the game. I love countdowns. It’s satisfying to hear the countdown. I don’t like the thought of resetting it back to 2000 after each collect. I’ve added 7 digits displays to accommodate collecting the big bonuses repeatedly.

The idea is just to make the process of collecting a little more difficult. Hence adding the spinner hit requirement after each collect. I like Ali’s rules, they just need a tweak.

I think you have the right idea Slochar. Use the 2x-3x-4x inserts at the 3-bank to point like an arrow. Blink up towards the spinner to indicate player needs to hit spinner, blink down towards the saucer to indicate saucer is ready for bonus collect. Kinda like the way the inserts on Flash Gordon indicate which direction the ball is going to come out of the saucer.

Leave the 5x insert at the 3-bank to indicate when double spinner scoring is active. Make it blink fast.

That should be clear to the player during the game. Rules will be updated on the apron cards.

#34 1 year ago

Displays are done . Lots of soldering. I think I’m going to need glasses soon.

E86C19FA-1603-48C6-B47E-102B45381C70 (resized).jpegE86C19FA-1603-48C6-B47E-102B45381C70 (resized).jpeg
93705251-7A80-4D76-8B62-012B54B0137E (resized).jpeg93705251-7A80-4D76-8B62-012B54B0137E (resized).jpeg

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I think you have the right idea Slochar. Use the 2x-3x-4x inserts at the 3-bank to point like an arrow. Blink up towards the spinner to indicate player needs to hit spinner, blink down towards the saucer to indicate saucer is ready for bonus collect. Kinda like the way the inserts on Flash Gordon indicate which direction the ball is going to come out of the saucer.

Leave the 5x insert at the 3-bank to indicate when double spinner scoring is active. Make it blink fast.

Well, no, I didn't mean to use the inserts that way at all. Also, you can't blink lamps at different rates (not without changing a lot of backend stuff). The arrow part indicating the bonus collect was the actual bonus lamps (and getting those blinking in a pattern might be hard enough as well, I think I tried that on flight2k and abandoned it although that was probably for space).

I was just throwing out ideas on what could be done to make the spinner more valuable. Getting a 5x bonus collect instead of a 1x would definitely be it I'd think.

We'll have to see once you have the beta code in the machine if the 5x completion gives you enough time to get the spinner or not doubled. If not, will have to modify some backend stuff re: timers.

I don't have the doubled spinner code up yet, Quench found a bug in the 5x so had to add some stuff to it. Will look at next week sometime.

#36 1 year ago

Oh I’m sorry I misunderstood about the inserts.

You’re right & im probably setting ahead of myself. Should just test what you’ve done so far & then go from there.

It will take me time to shop the playfield so reall no rush.

#37 1 year ago

Simple green is your friend. So long grime!

3D962E26-70CF-4845-8062-EA5DF122E137 (resized).jpeg3D962E26-70CF-4845-8062-EA5DF122E137 (resized).jpeg
29F18921-196F-48EF-B386-1CFD286E672E (resized).jpeg29F18921-196F-48EF-B386-1CFD286E672E (resized).jpeg

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I love countdowns.

Don't tell me you even love the countdown in the middle of gameplay on the left star drop targets when they're near/at maximum score

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I’ve added 7 digits displays to accommodate collecting the big bonuses repeatedly.

The game should have been 7-digit from factory - too easy to clock.

Quoted from slochar:

Just curious, since this causes the spinner score to be doubled, shouldn't the 2x lamp flash instead?

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Just curious, since this causes the spinner score to be doubled, shouldn't the 2x lamp flash instead?

I think that's too confusing. But if the spinner would score 10k spin in that situation i bet more people would shoot it.....

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

I think that's too confusing.

If I wanted to add this rule to my game I'd rewire the two G.I. lamps under the triangle plastic between the spinner and drop targets that says "Rope a Dope", to a vacant feature lamp driver and flash those two lamps.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

If I wanted to add this rule to my game I'd rewire the two G.I. lamps under the triangle plastic between the spinner and drop targets that says "Rope a Dope", to a vacant feature lamp driver and flash those two lamps.

Hey HoakyPoaky , you rewiring this???
J1-24-Q01
J1-5-Q24
I add it this way if you do. Might as well I'd like to see you put the separate bell in too as I think the bell for everything that knocks might get old quick.

#42 1 year ago

Yes I’m more than willing to run extra wiring if need be!

I like Quenches idea to rewire the 2 GI lamps under the rope a dope plastics to make them controlled lamps. That would really solve everything. If you’re able to code a vacant feature lamp driver for each bulb, then I’ll do the work. Just tell me where to run the wire on the appropriate board & connector.

You could do one lamp for 2x spinner scoring, and the other to indicate when the spinner needs to be hit to allow another saucer bonus collect.

I could create a new plastic piece with “double spinner scoring” & “next bonus collect” written on it, even with with the bulbs mounted on top of the plastic for the player to easily see.

If we’re doing that, then I’d just make a simple hard rule in the code…… after a saucer bonus collect, you must hit the spinner to allow next bonus collect. And every time the upper 3-bank is completed, it lights the double scoring feature lamp for xxx seconds.

Errant shots to the saucer when the feature bulb is lit won’t allow a collect & would just kick the ball back out. That rule alone will force players to shoot the spinner. Smart players will light double spinner scoring before shooting the spinner.

#43 1 year ago

And if you want me to run separate wiring for the bell, and leave the original knocker, I can do that too. I just started working on a mounting solution for the bell.

#44 1 year ago

Added a new Weebly solenoid driver board. Might as well make this game bulletproof

B88B643E-EEBC-4CC3-AB6D-06798EE47418 (resized).jpegB88B643E-EEBC-4CC3-AB6D-06798EE47418 (resized).jpeg
#45 1 year ago

Finished up the 7-digit Pinitech UNO displays. Used Purple gels for the player displays & yellow for the credit display. Still need to run the extra wiring for the 7th digit though. Have to do a little more research on that. I think it’s daisy chaining a wire on pin 12 of each display, & then run to the backbox. Still have to read some more.

8AAEF19A-F406-48EB-9C5A-19018509EE81 (resized).jpeg8AAEF19A-F406-48EB-9C5A-19018509EE81 (resized).jpeg8680F090-1A92-4AAA-9FB6-B1CCED56E9CC (resized).jpeg8680F090-1A92-4AAA-9FB6-B1CCED56E9CC (resized).jpeg7FDF000B-70C0-482B-AA73-F2EF6D55008E (resized).jpeg7FDF000B-70C0-482B-AA73-F2EF6D55008E (resized).jpeg
#46 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Finished up the 7-digit Pinitech UNO displays. Used Purple gels for the player displays & yellow for the credit display. Still need to run the extra wiring for the 7th digit though. Have to do a little more research on that. I think it’s daisy chaining a wire on pin 12 of each display, & then run to the backbox. Still have to read some more.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

.. those displays are purdy!

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

And if you want me to run separate wiring for the bell, and leave the original knocker, I can do that too. I just started working on a mounting solution for the bell.

I was thinking.. if you do re-use the bell / knocker.. that potentially keeps a driver free for something else.. extra lamp on a relay, shaker? lol.

#48 1 year ago

Pulled the playfield & got it on the rotisserie today. Will be much easier to work on.

Started tinkering away on the cabinet. Adding some lighted flipper buttons & rebuilding the flipper switches, etc.

Also started working on the ring bell assembly. I’ll be mounting it to a plywood base & placing it next to the the power supply. It’s a big 8 inch ring bell, so I want it mounted solid. As stated earlier, the bell will be wired separately from the knocker.

7AD44207-DFC3-4297-9A25-58649F566465 (resized).jpeg7AD44207-DFC3-4297-9A25-58649F566465 (resized).jpeg79D28709-C31F-4E0A-BDFF-4D383A2ADB2B (resized).jpeg79D28709-C31F-4E0A-BDFF-4D383A2ADB2B (resized).jpeg

#49 1 year ago

slochar

If I’m going to use a separate knocker for the bell, do you have a suggestion on an alternate replacement assembly? I’d rather just buy a new assembly than try to chase down a second original Stern knocker.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Still need to run the extra wiring for the 7th digit though. Have to do a little more research on that. I think it’s daisy chaining a wire on pin 12 of each display, & then run to the backbox. Still have to read some more.

Couple pics of the 7-digit mod wiring I did in my Galaxy, if it’s helpful. I used purple-green wire as it’s what I had on hand and wasn’t in the harness already.

463EF163-B059-4F49-94E0-A422AFFCB5CD (resized).jpeg463EF163-B059-4F49-94E0-A422AFFCB5CD (resized).jpeg9F6AA513-3ABD-4B10-85B4-8647B8225846 (resized).jpeg9F6AA513-3ABD-4B10-85B4-8647B8225846 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
$ 3.00
$ 69.00
There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-ali-project-improving-the-greatest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.