You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Interest in Aerosmith pinball machine”

• Yes- I would be interested if it plays well 193 votes
    19%
  • Yes-I would be interested if it has hand drawn art and plays well 106 votes
    10%
  • No-I do not care for Aerosmith, regardless of how it looks or plays 492 votes
    49%
  • Mabye-Not a huge fan of Aerosmith but if it plays good and looks good-mabye 221 votes
    22%

(1012 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Marshall (resized).jpg
d112c526ae84fbb4157faf6e388f5475--james-hetfield-pinball (resized).jpg
HOMER-THANOS (resized).jpg
AS-Grill2 (resized).jpg
marshall (resized).jpg
aero (resized).JPG
9435340A-B7F7-475B-A643-A171B165CB2B (resized).jpeg
FyYli72 (resized).jpg
F8EB5979-E9A5-46A9-A824-115180171946 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6660 (resized).PNG
Harry and the Hendersons (resized).png
IMG_1673 (resized).JPG
code is coming (resized).jpg
20170817_212543 (resized).jpg
IMG_5940 (resized).JPG
AS-tunnel-004 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #733 First official pictures, press release and feature matrix from Stern. Posted by Gexchange (7 years ago)

Post #762 Link to Stern "Gameplay Video Sneak Peek" on Facebook. Posted by Apollyon (7 years ago)

Post #784 Approximate Street Prices to expect for Aerosmith Pinball Posted by PinB (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

The jukebox idea is great. Provide a great mix of songs and then people always have the option to change out some or all with pinball browser

Yeah, in the "what music pin next" thread, I mentioned that a "Monsters of Rock" arena tour theme would be awesome because you could have a lineup for the game that covers a number of bands and players could load their own tunes via USB to change the lineup.

But licensing for more than one band per pin is probably cost prohibitive.

4 months later
#379 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

What songs do you think will be on this game?

Mu favorite post was when someone said that Aerosmith was the code name for the Star Wars pin. THAT would be hilarious (and a relief).

#453 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Middle aged men are the biggest demographic for home sales so yes, games are targeted at them. It's why an obsolete band like KISS can sell while a rumored completed Hunger Games pin gets turned into WWE.

Really? They have to be second-guessing that decision while staring at the piles of WWE unsold stock. Is that the only LE that never came close to selling out?

#454 7 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

love it can't wait to ride it again... took this photo in 2014.. going back in 17'... (hopefully Avatar Land will be done when i return..rumor is Earth Day)

Haha. Took my son on this when he was 6 and it turned him off coasters for life. As soon as we launched, I knew it was a mistake.

#457 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I then told her there was a fat chance they would ever make a...Red Hot Chile Peppers,

Is that the South American cover band?

#458 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Mistake there was making a pin that cost more to buy than the target demo's trailer homes.

So wrong, and yet painfully true.

#478 7 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Haven't been on the site in awhile, happy to see though that everything is as it has been for the last 15 years, with people still predicting Stern's demise. If you ever get time, go back and search RGP and read all the naysayers mentioning how Lord of the Rings was cheaply made, and surely Stern was on it's last legs.

They were almost right. Stern was very, very close to dead not that many years after LotR. It's been an impressive comeback for Stern, but RGP wasn't on the wrong track way back then.

#483 7 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Where are the Scorpions in that list??

Wikipedia says Scorpions sold over 100 million, but I don't see them on that list. Maybe because it's a list of US sales only, which makes it kind of worthless? MTV says 22 million records.

Other notables:
Led Zeppelin 111.5 million
Pink Floyd 75 Million
Queen 34.5 Million

I'd probably buy a Zep, Pink Floyd, Queen, or Scorps pin, but Zep will never happen. Too much licensing cost.

#484 7 years ago

Found a list with worldwide ALBUM ONLY sales instead of US only sales of albums and singles (which is more what you'd want for deciding on a pin theme that would be sold worldwide).

3 - Pink Floyd = 193.700.000 (02/2008)
5 - Elvis Presley = 187.000.000 - ALREADY DONE
7 - Queen = 170.100.000 (09/2008)
8 - Rolling Stones = 169.100.000 - ALREADY DONE
10 - Led Zeppelin = 165.500.000 (01/2008)
17 - AC/DC = 133.700.000 (11/2007) - ALREADY DONE
28 - Aerosmith = 113.500.000 (11/2007)
29 - Bon Jovi = 107.200.000 (12/2007)
34 - Metallica - 102.500.000 (01/2008) - ALREADY DONE
35 - Prince = 99.900.000 (02/2008)
37 - David Bowie = 95.700.000 (12/2007)
38 - Van Halen = 94.000.000 (02/2008)
39 - Guns N' Roses = 93.200.000 (12/2007) - ALREADY DONE
57 - Nirvana = 69.400.000 (02/2008)
60 - The Who = 66.200.000 (11/2008)
67 - Def Leppard = 62.500.000 (12/2007)
69 - Meat Loaf = 61.500.000 (01/2008)
70 - Deep Purple = 61.400.000 (11/2008)
72 - Iron Maiden = 59.700.000 (02/2008)
84 - Kiss = 54.500.000 (11/2008) - ALREADY DONE
91 - Black Sabbath = 48.400.000 (11/2008)
95 - Ozzy Osbourne = 46.700.000 (11/2008)
97 - Scorpions = 44.900.000 (11/2008)

#486 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah but done so poorly, a new Elvis with real music and more stuff from the 70's would be great.

I'm not saying it was done well, but it was done. The Elvis we got was super-corny. Guns n Roses was also a pretty mediocre effort. They deserve better.

#497 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Iron Maiden - Number 72 on the list, but Number 1 in our hearts... up the irons!!

If you take out all the acts that wouldn't translate well to pinball, Iron Maiden is easily in the top 20, based on worldwide album sales alone (not singles, videos, touring, which I think would boost them higher).

#499 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well Stern can't do that; WWE, Mustang
Damn all the way in the top 20? Looks like I have 5-7 years to save up

If the rumors are right, you have a year or less. Supposedly IM is already in the works, sometime after Star Wars.

#503 7 years ago
Quoted from nman:

I'd drop a few quarters in that if it had a bash toy for every band member...

The coin slots will be Chad's nose, upside down.

#504 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

A coaster the Disney fan base always looks to have rethemed every time the ride comes up because they all feel the band is out of place now and stale. Like right now, Guardians of the Galaxy is the IP Disney is looking to shove into the parks.. with a dinosaur of Universe of Energy on the chopping block.. but people quickly turn to Rockin Roller Coaster and say it would be a better retheme over there.

Given that they're re-theming Tower of Terror as Guardian's of the Galaxy and it's literally right next to Rockin' Rollercoaster, I doubt they're re-theme it to GotG, too.

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ahhh the magic rumors. You mean the ones we've been hearing aboot for the last 5 years? Is this after or before Jaws?

I only really heard Iron Maiden strongly the past year or so, from enough places that I believe it.

#515 7 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

wiki says 90 million worldwide.
puts it much farther up the list.

That quote is from 2015, so you have to realize that everything else on the 2008 list I quoted from sold more, too. They're probably in roughly the same area.

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Man, TOT into Guardians of the Galaxy?
Worst idea ever. Jesus.
Next thing you know, they'll be taking out the classic Country Jamboree Bears and replacing it with some shit 4th rate Winnie the Pooh ride through. Oh wait ... They already did that.
Disney is going down in my estimations. Daily.
rd

Yeah, it was announced about a month ago after being rumored for like a year:

http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/2016/07/23/its-official-dcas-tower-of-terror-to-get-guardians-of-the-galaxy-makeover/

1 month later
#555 7 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Aerosmith chatter has gone quiet since Batman 66 flyer came out. Is Aerosmith a code name for a Borg/Lyman/Dirty Donny Iron Maiden pin?
Dirty Donny just posted this to Facebook. An old photo of himself wearing a Maiden tshirt. Is he currently working on an Iron Maiden project?

Classic Maiden art has a very specific style. I really hope that DD isn't doing the art or not doing it in his usual style because I'm really looking forward to buying one of these and DD art could be a dealbreaker on a Maiden pin.

3 weeks later
#576 7 years ago

Like someone else said, this confirmation of DD doing Aerosmith at least means the Iron Maiden pin maybe, might, possibly have Derek Riggs for the art. Fingers crossed.

#591 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Could Derek riggs even do that, legally?
I don't think so. He's out of the maiden game and not on friendly terms with the band.

If the band is into the pin and wants the best result that solves that. Stern just has to play mediator and try to get both the band and him on board with the idea. Doesn't Riggs own the character of Eddie, anyway?

2 months later
#645 7 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Put me down for a Stern Alice Cooper pinball machine!!!!
He's also a pinball fan which helps.

Dunno how it would sell, but it could have a CRAZY good amount of thematic material to work with. Guillotines, Frankenstein, weird ball-eating/spitting monsters, levitations. I'm not a HUGE fan, but I could see myself buying it.

1 week later
#659 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Not a chance. Pretty lame theme, and Stern has yet to show that they can actually do cool stuff with the LCD. I bet that Aerosmith is going to be a slow seller unless the layout is truly special. With so many people afraid of buying games where Lonnie is the lead programmer, this game has a lot working against it.
Dirty Donnie is doing the art, however. He will probably put out a pretty nice looking machine.

Given that we've seen most of the machine, including the cabinet and playfield, in his art book, there's not much mystery left.

#691 7 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

My spies are setting up their booth at CES as we speak and just texted me this photo. They have instructions to head over to the Stern booth as soon as possible and try to get any photos of a new release. My sources tell me it will be Aerosmith –and get this…. It will ship with COMPLETE code.

Is that Lonnie complete, or actual complete?

#700 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I'm actually kind of looking forward to Aerosmith, it could be a decent game, I like the artwork and the music isn't bad. Looking forward to seeing this at a show soon and having a chance to play it.

I think they should have upped the game a bit and made the legs clawfoot style with Steven Tyler's messed up toes.

steven-tyler-feet-close (resized).jpgsteven-tyler-feet-close (resized).jpg

#722 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

This game will be a huge hit...LCD will be much much better implemented than BM66, insanely cool artwork on the display and playfield, rad looking toys.

I dunno. The screen in the pictures in the DD art book looked like they just took live action music videos and ran them through a "cartoon-ize video" filter. If that's what they're really doing, it will be a huge fail.

#906 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These wacky arrangements don't work well with ramp games, which is exactly why they disappeared.
When they try it nowadays it sucks. I know WOZ has it's fans but I didn't like the layout at all.

WOZ is good *exactly* because it's different and done well. If you're not a fan of stop and go games, I can understand the dislike, but for a collection, WOZ is a perfect antidote to "sameness".

#928 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I hate the stupid ball save games on the right and left. The game would just be better with a NORMAL inalne/outlane layout.
And ok...I'll finally bite, and not just because I think it's hilarious that people keep saying "Italian Bottom" as if they are liberace placing a craigslist personals ad.
Why do they call it that?! The Italians invented it? I have Gottlieb games from the 1960s with that arrangement.

Well on that point we agree. I'm okay with TOTO because it's pretty quick, but the other one gets old real fast. I could have done without that one.

#936 7 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Glenn Miller SLE

Mozart or Bach would really mess up that graph.

#1019 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The game has stupid greedy outlanes and the reward is getting to play these tedious ball-save games.

Turn them all the way down (they ARE adjustable) and they're way less greedy than KISS or GB, so that problem is a non-issue.

#1023 7 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I think Van Halen will happen before Rush. Maybe a boutique Rush pin would work, it's more of a niche audience.

Van Halen could be fun. Band fight multiball and they could have a meter like the PKE one in GB for Eddie's ego.

#1031 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

After sticking to my guns on my promise to not buy a pin before buying it...

That is a neat trick. How do you do that?

Quoted from RobT:

Even some of the classic B/W pins, like I500, I loved playing that pin so I decided to buy one. Got it home and I regretted buying it two weeks later.

I have been waffling on that machine for like 5 years myself! Love playing it at shows, but I think it might be too shallow for home.

#1052 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Has anybody considered what kind of location an Aerosmith pinball machine would do good at?
Or even fit in at?

KISS does ridiculously well at *some* bars, from what I've seen. I think Aerosmith will probably be the same. In the right bar it will do all right.

#1053 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Ball save would be Sammy Hagger in for David.

TILT could be a picture of Gary Cherone.

#1059 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I don't get band pins, there's no narrative there, it's like reading some old rock guy's autobiography as opposed to a fantasy novel.

Some old rock guy autobiographies ARE others fantasy novels.

#1061 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I could see that happening.

(Un?)Surprisingly, from what I've seen it's the redneck bars where KISS does NOT do well.

#1068 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I don't think bands like KISS or Aerosmith are redneck bands.
Think more southern rock. Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Molly Hatchet, Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ted Nugent etc.

We agree. I was just posting because someone posted a pic of a redneck bar where KISS would do well, and I was saying, no, that's not my experience.

#1130 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I wish Donnie would whip up some blades for Metallica that match the game. I like thos things best when they're cohesive with the design of the game like ZY's Ghostbusters, or the ones SillyOldElf made for Monster Bash and TSPP.

Seconded! Since they're making more Metallica machines now with a renewed license, this is a no-brainer.

#1133 7 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Gary Stern email received via our distributor:
-------------------------------------------------------
Dear Ladies & Gentlemen,
<snip>
We have a very few Metallica Monsters, Whoa Nellie and WWE.

Best regards,
Gary

Ha ha! How much is "very few" WWE? 100? 200? It bet it's more than Metallica, and unlike Metallica, there's no WWE demand in sight! I predict "very few" WWE next year, too, unless they chop the price in half to blow them out.

#1170 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Not picking, but you don't see the glaring similarity to Metallica? A bash toy, voiced by the same actor, named Jacky instead of Sparky? Now don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea to re-use something that works so well. I just see a huge similarity there....

Bash toy, yes. Layout? No. Almost identical to KISS, not that close to Metallica at all.

#1185 7 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

I think you mean this

Nope. Closer to KISS than Indy.

2 weeks later
#1388 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

For $5200, tough to go wrong with Aerosmith.
Are we to the point now where we say it doesn't even matter what code is at that price? Don't think so.
For me, if its not Lyman or now Dwight, I've gotta see the finish off. Don't want to get the Kiss treatment.

Or worse, the Wheel of Fortune treatment.

It will be interesting to see how the market at large reacts. Seems like a lot are sitting this one out for a lot of different, and valid, reasons.

#1409 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's why I still contend that Rush would be a huge hit. You can argue that they're niche...but their fans are BEYOND passionate. 500 Rush LEs would sell out instantly.

Yeah, but the ball times would be ridiculous.

#1426 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The initial code update on Batman was enough to get owners excited. But that was about it.
Still shipped with better initial code than WoZ. That one we had to take the glass off to play it because the ball search wouldn't free the ball.

JJPs first machine ever vs Stern who have been doing this for decades. Also, JJP has blown away anything Stern has ever done (or will do?) with code updates on WoZ. Above and beyond.

#1445 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Sorry, but as a Hobbit owner, I have to disagree with this. I was surprised, given how long Hobbit was delayed and therefore how long they had to work on code, that it was not much more complete than it was when it shipped. Pretty disappointing.

Yeah, Hobbit is pretty underwhelming, and both Hobbit and WoZ currently have problems related to the new Ubuntu they went to. Hobbit has really annoying popping sound that starts after it's been played a while that gets worse over time, and any flavor of WoZ 6.xx has lockups that happen within about 24-48 hours if it's left on. Both are being worked on, but they've been this way for many months.

#1485 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Does anyone know enough about this new Aerosmith machine to be able to tell whether or not pinball browser can be used to modify a song or two along with the corresponding graphic/text on LCD?
I'm really liking this machine but there are two songs that absolutely can't stand and kind of ruins it for me.

Even if you can change them (probably can), you still have them on the inserts on the playfield, unlike KISS or AC/DC, etc.

#1487 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

That was my next concern, I have to say a couple of these tunes are really holding me back on this one. For the most part I like what is on there but two of them I really find friggin annoying as hell.
Maybe a custom insert sticker or something can address this.

I dunno. I am NOT a KISS fan, but I like the machine, and some of the songs have grown on me. It can happen.

#1499 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

$400 for the Aerosmith topper

As toppers go, it's pretty crappy compared to others released in that price range.

#1516 7 years ago
Quoted from jdpilot:

Anyone know of the LEs come with a topper and side blades?

No and No.

If you want those (topper seems underwhelming for the dough) get a Premium and use the money you save to buy those and some lollipop rails, and still have $600 left vs a LE. LE is generally a waste of money (with few exceptions).

#1570 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Man, if Stern could build a quality product I would have already ordered a Premium.

Even if I was interested, that Jester voice sparky-rehash completely turned me off, especially with how much he's chatting. I'm sure that production choice has blown quite a few sales of Aerosmith.

1 week later
#1600 7 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

Looks great.... watching the stream now.. little disappointed neither designer nor developer are present to offer some insight and feedback during the event. Oh well, make it happen next time!

Very KISS-y. Very.

#1605 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

At least the sound effects have been changed for the better. It doesn't sound like KISS any more.
Rob

Yes, that's a plus, but the play is VERY KISS-like.

#1609 7 years ago
Quoted from T7:

It's like they took everything that's wrong with KISS and redesigned it to make an awesome pin!

We'll see about that. For one, the upper playfield does not seem awesome at all. Seems dumb in the livestream.

#1613 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I am surprised there wansn't more attention to the stream on Pinside. Maybe because there wasn't much to complain about? It played really well and the code seemed pretty deep. This may be a sleeper hit.

Seems like quite a few are sitting this one out, hence the lack of excitement for the stream.

#1629 7 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

He was drinking a coke too. A coke theme on the way?

I'd be really excited if he was wearing a pepsi t-shirt and a Pepsiman pin was on the way. Insta-buy for me.

#1661 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I mean, it comes down to personal taste but so far I think the Aerosmith LCD animations look like a bad flash game.

Word. The band animations are especially low-rent. They've had a lot of time to work on this, too, so that's pretty depressing.

#1692 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Honestly, WOF is probably better. At least it has a truly original layout, inline drops, and a deep Keith Johnson ruleset. Aerosmith is better than anticipated but just doesn't bring anything new or exciting to the table. It is pretty though!

No, no it's not. There are so many rough edges and unfinished things (including missing animations and inserts that do nothing), it's completely distracting to play WoF. Also, the VOICES are TERRIBLE. I'm no fan of Sparky2 aka Jester in Aerosmith, but it destroys the bargain barrel WoF voices.

#1697 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

WOF's unfinished code is a tragedy, it's such an odd, unique layout, like one of the cool 80s widebodies.

Finished, and with those awful voices redone straight instead of failing at funny, it could have been something special.

#1698 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

it's a great throwback game for anyone who likes pre-DMD layouts.

That's exactly why I got it, but in the state Stern abandoned it, I couldn't live with it.

#1713 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Still, seems like there is a whole lot more discussion and interest in BM66 than Aerosmith. I think BM66 is a much better theme but for half the cost you could get Aerosmith which looks pretty fun.

It will be very interesting to see how Aerosmith does. Seems like the PF drama from all of 2016 and the almost code-free Batman launch combined with a polarizing band have put the kibosh on interest.

The interest around the livestream was the lowest I've seen for one of those since I've been here. Very few were talking about it when it was happening. I mean, I don't think it will be WWE level bad, but Stern has to be concerned about the presales.

2 weeks later
#1821 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Wait! Is that for real?? ^^^

Wrong screen, for one.

#1824 7 years ago
Quoted from MacLean:

... couldn't find a BM66 with new LCD screen at the right angle, so I settled for a TWD ... just keeping my dream alive!

I share your dream. I want an Iron Maiden pin even more than Star Wars.

#1843 7 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

They probably changed the jesters voice after people complained and the severe lack of preorders compared to previous titles, hoping to juice sales. Is anyone buying an LE at all? Like even WWE had people wanting the LE, I haven't seen hardly anyone saying they were buying this LE.

Most people that are even buying one (rather than boycotting because of the code problems with Stern titles) are getting a Pro. The LE extra playfield is simple to the point of retarded. Why bother with it? Seems like most people getting an Aerosmith are skipping the LE.

#1866 7 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

I played the same pin as Frax today. Yeah this happens a lot. When the ball rolls out of the left orbit the left pop bumper sends the ball straight down the right outline the majority of the time. It happens very fast and you don't have much time to save it with a nudge. Once you know it this happens you can start nudging as the ball comes out of the orbit but this drain happens often. I played maybe 5 games of 4 player games and I saw at least 4 full plunge, immediate drain out the right, ball save auto plunge, and immediate drain out the right. Be careful!

Hmm, sounds just like KISS. Go figure.

On KISS you have to close up the right outlane or you're losing balls like this all the time, too. Given that this is a very similar layout, probably the same solution - close up the right outlane.

#1872 7 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

More Pro gameplay courtesy of the SDTM pinball show:
» YouTube video

Sounds like jester voice is almost the same, maybe just a little less pitch shifted. Is this the "new" jester audio?

#1918 7 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

The one I played at Logan Arcade has a factory Cliffy. Should it be called a "Sterny"?

It should be called a "ripoff." I'm sure Cliff's getting zero out of his idea from them.

#1923 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Cliffy did not invent the idea of an edge protector.

What games had them before he made them for pinball machines? I can't think of any.

#2007 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I think the apathy towards the game is partly people sick of Stern, partly people at saturation, and partly that with Aerosmith there really is nothing new.

All of that PLUS it has the unfortunate placement of being the pin before Star Wars, and I'm sure plenty of people are waiting to see if the 4th (6th if you count international) time's the charm with the Star Wars pinball license.

#2011 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And in Texas soon there are another 4 games announced!
Houdini
AFMR
Elvira 3
New Spooky game
Competition is fierce.
Code is an area where Stern have excelled in the past but if they fail to finish off games and don't try and make them over the top, they are slowly going to lose sales.

I thought Elvira 3 was the next KAPOW/Stern game. Pretty ballsy to show that when their first title is, well, neglected.

#2035 7 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I just played it last night. It's okay. I don't think it will be a legend.

As for play, I never felt like I was doing anything other than making ramp shots and hitting the elevator. It wasn't clunky but I didn't feel like I had a purpose.

And, given Stern's declining code polishing reputation, assume what's there now is about what it will be for the future. Not a home game, but probably okay on route (KISS does great on route, and this is a KISSing cousin to that).

#2042 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

I'd buy a Beastie Boys pin.

Depending on how the theme was implemented, but yeah, I'd be into it too, most-likely. Unless Lonnie was on it. Then no...just no. He needs to start building some "polished to a shine" credibility first, IMO. Too many buggy carcasses.

#2067 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

They are still hoping to sell a bunch of AS while they have probably sold most of the 66's they will sell. So guess where the attention is going!

Plus AS is Stern proper, while Batman'66 is boutique Kapow.

#2069 7 years ago
Quoted from Avatar:

Played AS Pro today. Nice, fun and fast. Way better than Kiss.
We (team of 2) kept on playing for almost 4 hours and wanted to come back each time. When the code will be polished, will be a good game.

It's a Lonnie game, so the best you can hope for is mostly complete. It will likely never be polished, given his extensive history with not really doing the polish step on his games.

#2077 7 years ago

WORSE, because I can see those Jacky callouts getting super grating in home use.

#2084 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Look at how simple of a game IMVE is and there was never anything added like a super skill shot or extra ball rule. People have asked over and over for that for the past few years and it just hasn't happened.
Rob

Yeah, that was really surprising on IM. Making Extra Ball a random award like that machine does is lame. Wonder why they went that route?

#2095 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Collect EB on IMVE by collecting two full sets of shields on the same ball (rollovers, then War Machine), then hit the ramp shot.

So it's not random? I knew it was connected to the shields, but I always thought the award was random. I would always milk the shields for awards, and it seems like it would take more than two before EB would light on the left ramp.

#2158 7 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I think the lack of Dream On is the single biggest miss on this game, I think because it's widely viewed as one of their top three songs with Walk This Way and Sweet Emotion, and because it would be perfect for the wizard mode. My biggest question on the game right now is staying power, when I hear people are getting to the wizard mode in the first week after getting the game, I get concerned that the game might become stale or average game times get too long eventually. I don't know if there's any validity to that though, just past experience I guess.

I still think this is a fairly repetitive pin that's better for a route, but being able to get to the Wizard mode early on doesn't really mean anything. I remember playing Spiderman on location with pretty early code, not really knowing what I was doing and getting to Super Hero that first time ever playing it. That is something it took me years to do again once all the "game" was in the machine. So, yeah, wizard mode will likely be more challenging to reach over time.

#2199 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It does not have 11 songs.
There are only 7 selectable songs and 1 for each multiball for a grand total of 9.
Hopefully they add one to the final wizard mode with a code update.
Kind of cheap to have to listen to the same music when reaching the final wizard mode, could they throw us a bone here please?

Didn't get a special Wizard Mode song for Rock City on KISS. Same song you already heard a lot of if/when you get there. I assume Aerosmith is the same.

#2277 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

We were just looking at that post between the pops today and wondering why it was even there. lol
By the way, has anyone gotten to KISS Army Multiball on this game yet?

That reinforces that Aerosmith is a light reskin of KISS (completely obviously from the layout), and also explains how the code had a headstart to be so far along.

And the post that was removed between the pop bumpers is there for KISS, too.

#2298 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I have owned bot and Aerosmith rules are way better then kiss it's not even close

Well, when you start with a good base (KISS) and spend almost two years polishing it, that's not surprising.

The system settings slipup is just confirmation of what everyone suspected. If you've spent time with KISS, the overall similarities are overwhelming.

#2312 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

You need to get over this bitterness.

I'm really not that put out about the KISS situation. It's fun as-is, and it earns GREAT on location for the one I help maintain, so not really bitter. Irritated would be a better word, mostly at Stern outright lying about the "big update" (Nov) then "not so big" update (Jan) then, oh, they haven't been working on it (Mar).

If you want to talk bitter, THAT is a conversation for the abomination that is Batman'66 and the alpha version they shipped that's stuck in a user beta test until at least Summer - at our expense. I AM pissed about that.

#2321 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

You have a Pinsider with a WOZ avatar who comes on Stern game threads and bash the games shocking

It's a little more complicated than that. I help an op with his route pins and they live at my house for anywhere from a couple weeks to months (BM'66, which is nowhere close to route-ready, so it's sequestered because, unlike Stern, he's not dumping a turd on his customers) while I get them bulletproofed to go out. So I have access to pretty much every Stern and JJP and have played them extensively at home before they go out.

BM'66 is a disaster. Period. It might someday be just okay, but it's terrible now, and in no way route-ready. There's nothing there. It might as well be the late 1980s with that pin's content and rules. AeroKISS is a modified KISS layout using (verified by the OOPS! in the system settings) the KISS code skeleton. Surprised? No KISS owner is. The software has been built up differently, but the layout is clearly KISS with only minor changes.

And not to just give Stern some lumps, Hobbit from JJP is still a beautiful mess. Earns nowhere near as well as WoZ on location and isn't super-fun to play, long-term. The OP I help sent his down the road because it wasn't earning. The problems JJP is having with a buggy Ubuntu core are the biggest threat to them moving forward. Both WoZ and Hobbit have serious Linux-based bugs (WoZ lockups, Hobbit loud popping) related to the drivers in the Ubuntu core upgrade last year that make them problematic on route. And the bugs have been there for like 8 months now with no improvement at all. Since it's a Linux problem, I would have thought they would pay a Linux OS genius to work it out for them as a contractor months ago. Nope.

There. A little bit of reality for JJP and Stern. Feel better now?

#2323 7 years ago
Quoted from T7:

But why is it so upsetting that the layout or code has similarities to Kiss? Most of Borgs games have close similarities to each other. Aerosmith doesn't *feel* like you are playing Kiss, especially if you look at the Premium with the additional playfield - so the similarities are of no consequence. Additionally, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

It's not upsetting, per se, just lazy design. And that quote doesn't work when you're copying yourself.

#2397 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Dude, not even close to a re-theme. Give it up.

The layout is EXTREMELY close to a re-theme. Undeniable. Look at the picture. The red is where the elements are on KISS, overlaid on an Aerosmith. Gene head became Jacky-box and it was moved to the Starchild area in the same placement. didn't mark the targets, but they're 3 on the left and 4 on the right vs 4/4 on KISS in approximately the same location. The overlay clearly shows AS is not a from-scratch design. The rules, however, are definitely different and expanded. So not a total retheme, but the layout definitely borrows VERY HEAVILY from KISS, and the software borrows lightly from the same (as evidenced by the system settings still having a KISS setting still in AS).

AeroKISS (resized).jpgAeroKISS (resized).jpg

#2407 7 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

It definitely needs something more. I really hope there is more code to come. That's the only thing that worries me at this point. It's pretty linear as it stands now.

You should be worried. History is not on the side of AS for updates. I don't think this is a home game for any kind of decent player, but I bet it earns really well on route, just like KISS. Almost tempted to talk the OP I help into putting one out.

#2443 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

tom is way better then woz; for this reason alone it shoots much better then woz which is very slow and lethargic

Different kinds of games. ToM is a flow game. WoZ is stop and go. You can't really compare them directly as a result, but for gameplay experience, WoZ is a much better game. MUCH. ToM is just too shallow and easy to complete in a collection. I've had ToM a couple times, even making a pristine one (pictured) that I sold not long after finishing it.

ballview (resized).jpgballview (resized).jpg

rollovers (resized).jpgrollovers (resized).jpg

IMG_3683 (resized).JPGIMG_3683 (resized).JPG

#2448 7 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

I saw a tutorial vid w/tim sexton stating the right ramp on AS is backhandable (everytime?) even though it isn't on KISS. Can anybody tell me how this affects the game goals/strategy?

Right ramp is backhandable on KISS, too. Hard, but not impossible.

1 week later
#2602 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I try them all, but most of the newer ones I've bought didn't last very long for sure. They aren't making any dream themes for me.

Uh, hello? Thunderbirds? Looks like a perfect fit.

#2644 7 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

Just went to get my AS PRO today. I love it so far but I may have an issue with my speakers and I don't know where to start to maybe fix the problem myself. I have a constant electromechanical noise coming from both speakers.
Does anybody have an idea what could cause this?
I put a video on youtube because noise is always difficult to describe:
» YouTube video

Replace the power supply fan with a quiet one (no idea why Stern doesn't demand this in the power supply spec from their supplier). The stock fan is ANNOYINGLY loud on all the Spike machines.

#2648 7 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

Just unplugged the speakers and the noise is gone.
Hopefully not one of those electromecanical noises.

So probably a ground issue, then.

#2652 7 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

I may sound like an idiot now but how can I fix this?

I'd start with Stern or your distributor. Stern may have failed to ground all the items properly, so they can tell you what to check.

Since this isn't the only pin you have, I'm assuming your house is wired properly, so it's not that.

#2654 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

No idea?$?$?$?$
Really?$?$?$?$?$

The cost is a wash or literally pennies. At retail the fans (current vs quiet) are the same price. This has to be a case where Stern just can't be bothered to take care of something really annoying (especially in a home environment) that would cost nothing or next to nothing to change.

#2656 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I guess that's why the fan in my WOZ is so loud. I can hear it before even entering the room. Unfortunately it is also a pain in the butt to get to compared to the Stern fan or I would have replaced it by now. There is also a very noticeable static through the speakers on that game that gets louder and quieter as the LEDs come on and off.

Yeah, the WoZ fan is loud, but it's nothing compared to the fans on those Spike power supplies.

Put a ground isolation device on the sound output from the motherboard and it takes care of that static on the speakers.

#2730 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I still have a problem with modes currently. Not so much a problem, but specific strategy. The modes seem very lopsided, in terms of being able to complete anyway. Some modes are a gimme, others very difficult.

KISS is the same way, Deuce and Lick it Up are dead simple and ones like Black Diamond and Hotter than Hell are quite challenging. There's definitely an order to get through them. On KISS do the easy ones first and try to set up the hard ones for a multiball.

#2742 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

I don't agree. Filtering through thousands of lines of code. A missed title change isn't lazy. And who really friggin cares. Would you rather they spent time re going over the code or writing an enhancement. I feel starting with other code is a smart way to save time and use known good code.
Every coder does it. Some call it library's. Some cut and paste. imnhappy to see he's using his library to its potential and gave us good code a launch.

Yes, but that's why any experienced coder uses defines or something similar in their reusable code. #define gamename "KISS" and then you only have to change that to #define gamename "ASmith" (or the whole thing if you have room) and it changes it in all the strings you used gamename at compile with no mistakes like the one in the AS settings. Lonnie must know this, but I have no idea why he isn't using it.

#2751 7 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

ok so im a AS member as of last Friday I got a AS pro I want a add a shaker motor anyone have the part number and is they any tricks to installing it ? its a fun game thanks

Dead simple to install. The cabs are pre-drilled and t-nutted for the shaker motor. You want this:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3710

While you're there, get these to preserve the art around the flipper buttons from rubbing off:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1747

#2755 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Agree with using constants at the beginning of code. But here that would only apply if setting #xx was always multiball ... setting. And a coder does fall in the trap of what they do too much.

No. What I'm saying is if Lonnie (or whoever) had defined gamename variable as "KISS" then in his system menus only referenced gamename and NEVER the actual name, it would replace gamename with KISS at compile time EVERYWHERE. Then when AS comes around he changes the #define for gamename to "Aerosmith" (or shorter if space needed) and all those settings now immediately become Aerosmith. Doesn't matter what the setting is, if the game name is referenced, use a define.

Now, as you pointed out, if it's a graphic that's more complicated, but there are ways to streamline that flow, too.

Point is, reusing a code base is good, but you need to have a well designed set of tools. WAY too many programmers end up jumping in and making spaghetti that isn't modular. It's a universal thing at ALL levels, just because bad code is easier than good code - INITIALLY. Eventually bad code becomes a much larger burden. I've seen and worked with the worst spaghetti code you can imagine written at the professional level in Japan and Europe's biggest game companies. Some is shockingly bad. No one is immune.

#2788 7 years ago

Is there a way to adjust the lock launch into the toybox? We got a Premium in and the lock shoots high and to the left 9 times out of 10. Almost never goes IN. Coil pulse is set to soft.

#2791 7 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Yes. I posted a while back. I lowered mine about 80points. I think it's in the AS adjustment menu

Took it down to 140 and it's better at probably 4 out of 5 tries making it. I'll keep playing with it.

EDIT: I dunno, now it's inconsistent again. Is Toybox Diverter the right adjustment?

#2802 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Distributors are moving a ton of AS's. Also, some shipments might be delayed because people who have ordered Pro's are getting Premiums instead(like me). I just hope the guy who ordered a Premium doesn't receive a Pro

AS pinblades are OOS until the end of May, too.

#2813 6 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

You can get these ones from PBL. I just installed mine, they look great!
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4574

PBL's search sucks. I searched and that didn't come up, only Batman blades. Crazy.

#2814 6 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

PinStadium UV lights will make the art really pop. I've seen them at the Ohio and PATZ shows on AS. Really good.

Isn't that just basically two strips of LED lights that go beneath the glass channel with a shield over them so they don't hit you in the eyes? Seems pretty basic.

#2816 6 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I have always found the interface and engine one of the best out there. Did you try to perform a game-specific search?
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=513&pg=1
Brad

Huh. It's all coming up now. Maybe their server was under maintenance in the middle of the night when I checked...

#2823 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

What's the general consensus on pro vs premium?
I've played the pro and like it, just wondering the the premium is worth the $$ jump.

Premium has some nice extras like additional RGB inserts, etc, but that mini-playfield is a near total waste.

After playing it for a few days, I have no idea why people are so in love with it when they give KISS non-stop grief. Toybox aside, it's essentially a slightly crappier-playing version of KISS. Has the same "shoot for the lit arrows" gameplay with different arrow progressions for different songs...just like KISS. But the song timer thing is crappier than KISS. Has one additional playfield shot over KISS. And I think the KISS levitating ball is cooler than the AS toybox launch - plus the levitation works EVERY TIME, unlike the toybox. I think once the honeymoon is over people will be just as restless with AS as they are with KISS.

It will be really interesting to see if AS earns as well as KISS (which earns great) on route.

#2828 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I like AS because it shoots like Kiss.

That said, I think it shoots a little worse than KISS. Moving the scoop killed the ability to backhand with any regularity and didn't add anything. Adding the elevator shot to the right of the center ramp didn't really add anything, and the magnet in front of the Toybox has less action than the Star area most of the time. I'm pretty sure we'll see KISS-like whining before the year is out. It's a very basic game that doesn't add much over KISS (and doesn't it have a lot less multiball modes than KISS, too?).

#2830 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Before the end of the year??
More like the end of the month!!
I like KISS, similar to Transformers in a lot of ways, except with tighter shots.
KISS maybe seems a little tougher than AS gameplay wise in my opinion. I found all the shots pretty easy on AS vs very tight left orbit and right ramp on KISS. Consistently hitting Starchild area can be a mission on KISS, whereas I have no problem hitting the lock lane on AS.
Funnily enough, if/when I do get an Aerosmith, it'll sit right next to KISS Pro and Transformers LE, so you'll have 3 pins in a row with basically the same rulesets. The Ropp Row! Hahaha
rd

I'm apparently one of the few that's overall pretty happy with KISS (though I would like a wrap-up update to fix the bugs and add a some polish to RC and KA multiballs). Aerosmith plays similarly enough that I wouldn't own it AND KISS. Given the choice, I'd still buy a KISS over an AS. Plus I don't know what it is, but AS music they chose for the pin doesn't really pump me up like the KISS music (and I'm no KISS music fan). It seems like AS needed more uptempo songs. Dunno.

#2833 6 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

What mods have you guy put on I just ordered the shaker kit and the green slim plastic mirror blades will be next

Get some lollipop rails on there, stat, if you have a Pro or Prem.

#2837 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If they never updated the code I doubt that I would complain. I don't see anything that needs improving yet. If there is anything though that needs improving, I'd like to see it fixed of course.

The timer for double points not being paused while it plays the unskippable 10 second or more extra ball animation NEEDS to be fixed. Really ticked me off. Was having a great game, great multiball, double scoring, hit the scoop, and the Extra Ball animation stole the rest of my clock and could not be skipped.

#2839 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I wasn't aware of that. That should be changed for sure then. I'm sure we are going to see an update or two but I'd also say that the code is pretty much complete too. That's a good thing. I would like to see the spotlight turned to light up Jester when it's getting ready to start into multi ball and the toy box is shaking. It's a cool feature that needs to be seen and it's really dark when that is going on.

ALL the animations should be skippable with both flipper buttons pressed. That's pretty standard. I was surprised they aren't already.

#2841 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm not talking about the animations, I'm talking about the actual box on the playfield. All the lights go out when you are going into multiball. They could turn the light on in front of the toy box so you could see it shaking. The animations don't really bother me personally and I don't feel like they are long or drawn out. I could watch the opening of love in an elevator multi ball a million times and never get tired of it. I love it!

But if they're not pausing timers, I'll take skipping an animation over losing bonus multipliers any day. Right now, there is no option, you just can't skip anything and lose time when they happen.

#2850 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

OK so I need some help. Some how my grand plan about the Ghostbusters Prem being a big hit with the family has been a flop. I LOVE the game but it's too hard for the rest of the family. I'm completely addicted to the "one more game" challenge of GB, but I'm more addicted to my family having fun together and GB has failed me there. My question is, and anyone who owns both and could weigh in would be greatly appreciated, will this game be fun for the family and satisfy my constant 10-12 games a night? My kids really like RS and Tommy. p.s. I love 1974-1979 Aerosmith.

Personally, in that situation I would mod the Ghostbusters to be less punishing so your family enjoys it. You're going to be bored with AS before too long.

#2853 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Why do you think AS would get boring? It's an awesome game that I guarantee will never leave my collection.

There will be a honeymoon period as with any new pin, but it's basically "shoot this arrow, because" with variations on that per song, but they're all similar. The mini-playfield is the most worthless one I can think of in modern Stern history. Super dumb to bounce the ball 2 inches to get the targets up there lit.

That said, I think it will do pretty well on route, because it's very pick up and play, but at home I can see it getting old pretty fast. It's essentially a slightly worse-shooting KISS.

#2857 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Completely wrong - Vic has a vendetta against Aerosmith as he's obviously upset about Kiss. Don't pay any attention to his posts as all he's doing is constantly posting negatively about it. If you don't think it's true, just look at his post history.
The mini-playfield is great - not going to repeat myself here but made a whole topic comparing it to others. It's suppose to be easy to get the targets by necessity of how it works into the rules. Once the targets are complete you need to get the outer loop shot which isn't easy from the upper flipper - but you can then get the loop with a ramp shot. Vic doesn't get it because he's too biased against the game.

A> I play AS with an open mind. Having played KISS extensively, AS is just too rehashed. I have no idea why the same people who complain about KISS not having a story driven game and just being told to hit lit arrows somehow give AS a pass when it's the SAME THING. Hit lit arrows in various patterns, depending on the song chosen, just like KISS.
B> Hitting the outer loop shot on the ridiculous AS upper playfield once you have the targets lit is dead simple. I have no idea why you'd say it's not easy.
C> KISS LE is still in my house and still gets played all the time, and having now played a TON of AS, I can say KISS is a better-playing game than AS. Where's the beef I have with KISS you're talking about?

I'm a pinball fan that's lucky enough to have literally almost every pin released, at least for a while, so I don't have to gloss over flaws in them to justify a purchase to myself. Another is always coming in the door right behind the current one. I call them like I see them based on extensive hands-on with them in my house. But hey, my opinion can change if the game improves. With the update this week Bat Turn mode made Batman'66 actually FUN for the first time since it was released almost 5 months ago, and I'm singing its praises.

#2868 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

It's great you like KISS, and I don't want to bag on it - but I guarantee most people are going to like AS more. The majority of pinsiders were anti-Aerosmith based on theme alone before the game was ever revealed. Now many are seeing it's a great game, even though they hate the band/theme.

Time will tell. I think AS will become boring pretty quickly, you don't. We'll see.

I totally believe you have the right to enjoy it and talk about enjoying it. It's PINBALL, after all. Supposed to be fun. I DO like it, but just don't think it's AMAZING like you might think from reading the endless new toy fawning posts.

#2869 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Because the shot itself must be hit from the very tip of the flipper. Most good/great players miss it more than they make it.

Then they're not good/great players. I'm a solid middling player and I can hit that 90% of the time. It's not a hard shot.

#2870 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I have to completely disagree with you on all fronts and I'm and excellent player and a hardcore collector that has had several hundred games throughout the last 17 plus years

I'm not saying because I think it will be boring in a home collection before long YOU can't like it. *I* think it's not that great and will get boring - that's just my opinion. You've shared yours and it's a perfectly valid opinion. This isn't a dictatorship. We all get opinions! Yay!

And, for example, the fact that I will watch Xanadu more than once and like a lot of it each time shows that my opinions are not, well...always mainstream. Don't be offended if they don't match your opinions.

#2871 6 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

I have both an Aerosmith Le and Kiss Le. They are both a blast to play. They are simply fun!! And the artwork is amazing on both!!! Just my opinion.

Finally! Some psi-ops to cool things down!

#2874 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Dude not cool! You are a disgrace to fellow Kiss owners! Just embarrassing. Stop!

KISS and Xanadu enjoyment is not mutually exclusive.

#2881 6 years ago

Upper Playfield questions:
1. Can you light mini-targets ahead (ready them), but wait to activate 2x scoring later? That would be wise.

Yes. Once the targets are all lit, you activate 2X by making the trip around the outside, so you can either drop it down the elevator instead (which drains to the toybox launch) or let it run down the ramp (dangerous, can drain down the middle) to save the 2X for later. Then hit the ramp when you want 2X. Note that you lose the lit 2X arrow if you lose the ball, and once 2X is going do NOT collect an extra ball at the scoop (if lit) during the 2X since the unskippable extra ball animation doesn't pause the timer and that will eat about 10 seconds off the short 2X timer.

#2883 6 years ago
Quoted from Blu:

Jesus, give it a rest. Roughly 10% of your all time posts are in this thread. The only other topic that has more posts is the where is the kiss code thread. I get that you want 1 more kiss code release to clean up a few things, and are trying to push people away from stern but it's ok if other people want or are excited about Aerosmith.

Why would I be pushing people away from Stern? I'm an equal opportunity offender and will just say what I think on any given topic, plus or minus. I've said plenty of negative things about JJP, too (WoZ to have an unfixed lockup bug in all flavors of 6.xx for going on a year is inexcusable, ditto Hobbit's "popping sound" bug). News flash, all manufacturers have problems. Stern just seems to have cost-reduced a little too far in the past 12 months so they're getting reports of much more than usual.

For the record, for JJP I love WoZ and really disliked Hobbit. And of the recent Sterns I like Metallica Prem/LE, Ghostbusters Prem/LE, Game of Thrones Prem/LE, and KISS Prem/LE a lot. And with the addition of Bat Turn, Batman '66 is finally showing a glimmer of light on it's extended Alpha testing in the field. That's a lot of Sterns to like, isn't it? But I'm not going to go all "bestest pin I ever played" when one doesn't hit the mark. You will get my unvarnished opinion. But just because I don't like it doesn't mean you're not entitled to. By all means, have your own contrary opinion!

#2886 6 years ago
Quoted from Blu:

It's not that I don't like it, or even don't appreciate it. I'm all for multifaceted points of view, but over a 100 posts of the same thing? It all just starts to wear a bit thin.

That's a tiny 3% of this thread's total posts - a small counter to the huge amount of fawning posts from mostly the same people in this thread.

#2889 6 years ago
Quoted from Blu:

A counter to what end? We get it, you're not enamored with the game. If you are here to tamp down others excitement and enjoyment, it doesn't make you some kind of a realist. Instead it's just a daily pecking at the enjoyment and educational discussion that could be happening with the rule, strategy, or Easter eggs that could be found in the art. So I ask, what's the end game, what's the point.

I'm not posting random negative posts about the game. Generally I'm responding to something someone has posted already. And, again, it's like 3% of the posts in this thread. The other 97% is something you can get behind. The 3% isn't made-up stuff. It isn't from someone who hasn't played the machine. It isn't from someone who bought their first pin. It's a counter for the people that maybe weren't going to get an Aerosmith, but they see all great posts with no realistic negative opinions. It's helpful for decision-making, and obviously spawns more conversation, too.

#2925 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

May be ordering an AS Pro and some art blades to go with it in the next few days.

Note that Stern is out of art blades for Aerosmith until the 26th, and so is pretty much everyone else. The Stern store will take your order and charge your card, but Stern will not ship them because they don't have any. I had to call to find this out. There's no indication on their website and no email was sent saying they were OOS.

Pinball Life is the last place I knew of that had actual stock in hand.

#2967 6 years ago
Quoted from KirboTurbo:

when I shoot the right ramp, about 25% of the time my ball gets stopped by the curved opening of the acrylic, and then just comes back down the ramp. A couple times the ball even shot thru the little opening and got stuck in the back right corner. Anybody else having that problem?

Doesn't happen all the time, but depending on the speed of the shot, I've had it happen, too. NEVER when shooting from the upper flipper, though. It's always when you shoot up the ramp.

#2970 6 years ago
Quoted from KirboTurbo:

i'm not sure how steep i have it, but i can't imagine making it any steeper. Actually thought it was too steep and too waxed up and that what was causing it. Like the ball gets too airborne at the top of the ramp and hits the side of the acrylic instead of going under it.
I'm probably going to have my acrylic guy cut me a longer piece.

Have him use PET-G. Acrylic will break if it keeps getting bashed.

#2975 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I've just gotta say this. Have you guys seen the animation when you complete the Super Ramps mode? Joe Perry is shown from different angles playing guitar and when you finish the mode he like slow motion disintegrates into a skeleton. It has to be the single most bad-ass animation in any pinball machine ever!

Yes, it is a cool bit. I also think it's kind of funny that the women you see from the backside at the concert in the half shirts have slight jiggly muffin tops.

#3052 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I said that was what the cities were for on day one. You can hear the callouts change. "hello Deeeeetroit!!"
Some people assumed that the cities were something else.
I couldn't see how you could make the cities something else. There are like 8 songs (?) and 6 cities (?). If every song mode was changed by the city, that would be 48 different modes to complete the game. Seeing how most players can't even complete two songs on factory settings, having 48 modes to work through didn't make any sense. Plus, you'd have to have coding for 48 scenarios. Seeing as they can't finish the code for 8 scenarios, why would they set themselves up to code 48?
Gomez was VERY animated in the discussion of cities at his TPF chat. He went out of his way to say that the cities were only ever meant to change the callouts, and "the internet" had decided they were supposed to be something else. There's probably footage of it on YouTube, check it out.
So yes, I totally believe him for the reasons stated above.
rd

If you made each city enable a perk, kind of like Ghostbusters, that would work fine. You could choose your perk at the beginning of the ball.

#3077 6 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I know this is going to come across as being a crybaby, but I find my AS pro to be infuriating. I don't think I have ever owned a game that gets me as irritated.
I like AS a lot, and prefer fast difficult games. Not really sure why this one in particular gets to me?
I have a very hard time comboing anything with any consistency.

Elevator, toy launch and right ramp are all tight shots, though the ramp seems easier than it was on KISS. You have to be more accurate on the right-side shots, for sure. I'd rather play KISS (and do) with the better rules and a similar layout. The LCD and toybox launch aren't enough to make it "fun" for me, but I have to say the Elevator Multiball start is great. I never skip it. Best part of the whole game, IMO.

#3081 6 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

All the hype in this thread is tempting me to pull the trigger on an AS LE. I'm currently searching for a MET MOPLE, but AS would definitely look good next to it and Luci. Plus I want to make Joe and Steven proud Music pins rock!

Metallica with a color LCD is a much better choice than Aerosmith. Much. Aerosmith is not a great game. Flashy? Yeah. Great? No. And there's no guarantee it will ever BE a great game given its pedigree. Metallica Prem/LE is a GREAT game NOW. I've spent a lot of time on Metallica Prem, KISS LE, and Aerosmith Prem, and of those three, AS would be my last recommendation. Once people get past the new toy honeymoon and the LCD/Jacky aren't so novel anymore, I think you'll start to see more realistic assessments of its flaws.

#3083 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I think people are blown away by how good the game is...I think it's safe to say that everyone was expecting a turd with Lonnie on code and the layout basically being a rehash of KISS.
I'm shocked that I took such a strong liking to the game. I swore off all Lonnie games after Star Trek & KISS, but I have to admit, he did step it up on this one.

It's a awesome that you're blown away by it, but that's not a universal opinion. The song modes play out more or less like KISS, but they have that crappy 30 second time limit, which is RETARDED for a music game. KISS you get the song you choose until you finish the song (or the bug pops up that lets you pick a new song when you're not supposed to). Also, the song selection is even more meh than KISS. I'm not a fan of KISS, but I ended up liking all but two of the songs. I KNOW all the AS songs, but I don't like most of the ones they chose (and no, I'm not changing the firmware to songs I like because the integration with the video is even tighter than KISS).

#3086 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Don't know if that's a bug or not. You can only change the song of you have completed x amount of it. Seems to be pretty consistant across all songs, so I would think it is by design.
rd

It always seemed like a bug, but the way you explain it (complete x amount of song) makes it make more sense. I'll have to pay closer attention to see if I can narrow down the rules for when that happens.

#3088 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

My guestimate would be if you have completed half the mode (or more), then drain, you can choose a new song. Of course, if you do choose a new song, you don't complete the current song and you don't get any progress towards the 2x playfield scoring etc etc.
rd

But it saves your progress, so if you pick that song again, you have less to do to finish it the second time.

#3099 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Actually, it IS much more of a universal opinion that Aerosmith is super fun. You're definitely in the minority Vic

I didn't say I wasn't. You're quoting an "alternative fact." I SAID "but that's not a universal opinion."

There's no such thing as "more" of "universal." It's universal or it's not. I simply said that the fawning adulation for Aerosmith is not a universal opinion. I'm not a huge fan of it, and others have stated similar opinions. I'm not saying people can't like it, if they do, great.

#3105 6 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

The better sound is a better detail of what's saved of the tracks - why the update files are 4GB+ (per Stern guy).

The one explosion sound they have sounds like it was upsampled from a much lower rate or is clipping. Drives me nuts every time it comes on since everything else sounds so good.

#3111 6 years ago
Quoted from huo:

Like most shots on the game it has to be accurate otherwise brick. Thats not a bad thing.

On Aerosmith Prem/LE, the issue is making the shot TOO cleanly and too fast. It goes airborne, hits that gap in the two pieces of plastic at the beginning of the first turn to the left, and stops dead then rolls back down (and often out). A LESS clean shot with a little rattle that still makes it up has a better chance of making it around in the case of AS.

Replacing that plastic with a longer one that covers the gap between the two should fix or minimize the issue.

#3114 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Personally never had that happen, but my game is set to 7 deg so on a more shallow gradient it might be an issue. In fact on my game the shot must be accurate or it doesnt make it. It's fairly steep. I personally love that shot - really satisfying, but not too easy.

This is a location machine I help maintain. It's set to 6.5 degrees. It's not like this happens 100% of the time - it's probably more like 5% or less. But like hitting the Ghostbusters Prem/LE ramp hard and fast and having it go airborne, hit the top and come back, it's annoying (and more dangerous on AS since it tends to go right out).

#3116 6 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

The theme, aesthetics, rules and longevity are what make a game a keeper for me.

Theme and aesthetics for Aerosmith are a no brainer. Win. Rules and longevity are where I'm not convinced it will hold up.

#3124 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Where is this location machine you help maintain?

Redding, CA. I'm happy to help the hobby by keeping pins up on a route, but I'm not traveling to do it.

#3125 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

For somebody who's clearly not a fan your giving this thread a lot of time and the game too it seems. Me, if I don't like a game I don't really play it and I don't bother posting on those threads. Interesting...

It's the latest pin. I play a lot of it. Don't get the hoo-hah about it. That will fade when there's a new "latest pin" to talk about.

#3126 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

There has never been a single pinball machine made that has a "universal" opinion. Not one, not ever. And there never will be. Even the worst pinball machine ever made (Judge Dredd) has supporters that love it.

So what you're saying is the statement that an opinion is "more universal" is even "more ridiculous." Thank you.

#3128 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

If there were others on here backing your opinion, it would help prove your point.
Anyone?

I doubt anyone would be moronic enough to take that bait, but here's a few of what you would term "negative" AS quotes I pulled by scanning the last couple weeks:

"I know this is going to come across as being a crybaby, but I find my AS pro to be infuriating. I don't think I have ever owned a game that gets me as irritated."

"As for game-play, I was expecting to be wow'd, but that didn't happen. Don't get me wrong, the shots feel good and the catapult lock mech is pretty cool. I don't really know exactly what it was but when I walked away I didn't have that "I can't wait to play that again" thought/feeling. "

(Responding to AS is more fun than KISS) "i'd disagree - i own both . each are very good in their own rights. Kiss is a more balanced game with better risk/reward shots."

But none of that (including my generally negative assessment of the machine) means YOU can't like Aerosmith. Like it - LOVE it, if you want. More pinball is good pinball, and everyone has their bias.

#3133 6 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

Toy Box multiball- anyone else feel like you should press the smart button to start multiball, instead of aborting it?

That would mess with the flow. If you have to wait out a countdown to NOT start it rather than aborting a countdown to keep playing, it would slow the gameplay. There are plenty of unneeded stops they need to smooth out already. Doesn't need another one.

That said, I wish the button did more in the game. Pretty much wasted currently.

#3140 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

What bar in Redding? I'd like to play it and I know SKB would too

Bleachers, but you can use pinside's pin map or pinballmap.com to find all the pins I maintain. Just look for Redding on those maps. I help on all the ones with the op listed as Redline.

#3151 6 years ago

Had a game reset happen today on 1.03 in the middle of a 5 ball multiball with Rats in the Cellar playing, Crank it Up and Super Ramps. I might have had double scoring going, too. Everything was going great then the PF suddenly went dark, screen flashed the Stern logo and game rebooted. I still had flipper power up until the very last part of reboot, when I lost it and the game went to attract mode.

Anyone else had this happen? If so, what modes and what song?

#3158 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I've had that happen on every Stern spike game I have played.
GOT
GB
KISS
Happens occasionally on all of them. Usually when you're having a super awesome game too.
Stern told us that the fault is in the flipper node board ... when the voltage drops too much below 48v it will reset. Similar to the WPC issue.
One GB Pro here (in nz) and one GOT LE have already had new power supplies fitted to correct the issue. Anything under (from memory) 47.8v will reset the game.
Stern are aware of the issue and said they will modify the node boards. However I'm not sure if/when that has been done.
rd

Nice to know, but that sucks. I've never had GoT Premium reset on me, nor KISS Prem or LE. GB Prem and Batman have, but I always chalked it up to software.

#3182 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

I think I know the sound you are talking about, the VIP switch triggers it. I feel like it's louder than most of the other sounds. I'm sure it's purposeful but it could be leveled a bit.

It plays when they have a closeup of that sassafrass truck. Maybe other places, too.

#3240 6 years ago

Lift the prongs, wrap electrical tape around the base once, put prongs back. Mine never come out again after I do this.

#3242 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Where did yours come from?

None have come off on Aerosmith (yet), but I've had them come off of Star Trek Premium over the slings, and Metallica from about the same area. The electrical tape fix takes care of at least 90% of the issue, if not solves it.

#3245 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Node board 10 failure. Upper PF
Anybody else?

Quoted from iceman44:

The most overblown fake news issue EVER is the omg the build quality is sensational

Nope, but I have had the crappy node design game reset issue when the flipper voltage drops a tiny bit too low - twice, both times on an awesome ball now. Seriously, how does this terrible engineering pass muster in testing?

#3280 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Wrestlemania....Avengers....cough cough

Add Avatar, Transformers, Mustang, Batman Dark Knight, Big Buck Hunter to the list of bad pins. Stern has some great pins, but they have their share of stinkers.

#3283 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

In your Opinion. BBH, TDK & Mustang are some fun pins. Id take any of the 3 above before I would bring back a Hobbit into my collection.

They're all misses, so what's the point?

#3285 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Misses in what sense of the word? Are you only into games that take 30-45mins to get anywhere?

I'm not into Hobbit. I put it in the same group. Longer game, still no fun.

#3297 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Dude Looks Like a Lady is one of my favorite modes. Animations crack me up every time.

One of the Super modes where Tom Hamilton sprouts giant wings and flies like Birdman while playing his guitar is pretty cool.

#3338 6 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Just finished a lighting upgrade...would not call LEDs a mod really.
Check it out...will be on my site in a few weeks when they get assembled.
Shooting for a price point under $50 bucks and they will work with all color changing pops on other machines too.
» YouTube video

If you or another vendor can get these dialed in with custom color tables instead of the default these come with from China (that have some color combinations in the rotation list that aren't really that awesome and/or clash with various translite art), it will really be something.

#3341 6 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Maybe I am missing something. These are color fading and match the pop bumper colors exactly so what more would you be looking for? For example in attract mode they roll through all colors ...when the game starts they are off until the pops are lit on the playfield. Colors on both back box and back of playfield repeat whats being commanded at pops.

Yeah, I was talking about the rotation in attract mode. Some of the color sets don't really work with the logo.

#3346 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Now that the premiums have been out for a bit, what is the consensus on the pro vs premium debate?
Struggling with deciding!

Premium, for sure. Upper playfield aside, you get the actual playfield slide brackets (instead of those crappy support rods Stern is trying to sell as "traditional") and more RGB inserts on the playfield for better light show. I also kind of like the purple cab better than the blue one on the pro.

#3352 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You mean the $50 brackets that aren't too hard to install?
That aside; I say premium for the RGB, added drop target and rules for qualifying elevator mb, + double/triple scoring rules. But still, hard to justify $6900 vs other $~6900 pins. $5200 is a great value for this pro.

I didn't say JUST the brackets. It's the combination of items the Premium has over the Pro that makes it worth recommending.

#3354 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Have any of you guys ever turned your AS on and the game didn't boot up? I've had this happen two times now. All I have to do is turn the machine off and back on and it boots up and is ready to play but I'm just curious why this might be happening? None of my other games do this. When this has happened, the game was in the process of booting up but it just gets stuck or something while in the process and won't boot up all the way.

Happened to me once on B'66 and once on AS. Assuming it's a timing issue that will be addressed with a firmware update.

#3358 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thanks, hopefully thats all it is. I know iceman had a node board burn up on start up I think. Hopefully its nothing like that going bad.

Happened on Ghostbusters today for the first time, too. I'm 99.99% sure it's just a timing issue specific to the new Spike/Spike2 hardware. Likely correctable in firmware.

#3393 6 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I am thinking about adding AS to my lineup. I played the game at Allentown and it was what I thought the best new game. I just cant decide on Premium or Pro.

Premium, easily for this machine. The potential scoring bump alone is worth it.

#3400 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The Pro is outstanding though and not lacking anything IMO.

That may be an opinion, but it's not a fact. The Pro has reduced scoring potential due to the missing upper playfield that triggers the double scoring that I'm pretty sure isn't implemented another way on the Pro. So it IS missing that.

#3402 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yeh, that is a big omission from the Pro. I can't imagine Stern ignoring that and would expect that shows up in future code updates - just a different trigger. (Maybe a certain amount of right ramp shots, or a few VIP targets then activated by right ramp).

I dunno. Given that Aerosmith is pretty complete as-is, I'm not looking for many updates, and I doubt they would add something like that to the Pro. Besides there really is no analog to Elevator multiball where you have a ball up in the mini-playfield you're trying to keep there while you keep the others alive down below. I don't think they could make that work in an equivalent was for scoring on a Pro, which is probably why it's not there and likely never will be.

#3416 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Big F'ing deal, so the Premium gets double scoring so what? I'm not going to argue Pro vs Premium. I was simply trying to help the guy in his decision to buy an AS and letting him know that the Pro is a killer game as well as the Premium model is also. I honestly don't see the point of your post unless it's to just try and start another argument with someone which seems to be what you do best on here. If you are going to butt in on a post, at least say something intelligent.

You said "The Pro is outstanding though and not lacking anything IMO."

It IS lacking scoring features that the Premium has. I was just pointing out that your statement was misleading for someone considering both models. The Pro IS missing important things the Premium has that affect scoring.

That's all.

#3417 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

That is one nice thing about the Pro - there's less stuff to go wrong. Probably the best choice for a location. I've come to love the upper playfield on my GOTLE, but it was a pain getting it to work 100%. It's the hidden "premium tax".

Zero problems with the Premium AS I maintain on location. No problems with any of the Stern Premiums on location except Metallica.

AS Premium is a dog for earnings so far on location, though. XMEN LE out earns it consistently.

#3419 6 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

What about the Smart button , i feel it does not do much it's already there so Stern needs to make it worth it, right ?
I keep watching video that you guys make , Thanks. I like what i see but not sold on the codes yet, anyone writing
some rule sheet ?

All the button currently does is launch the ball, abort multiball, and launch smart missiles. Unfortunately, getting a smart missile is a random award and so rare I've only seen it 2 or 3 times. So, yeah, the button is definitely under-utilized.

#3423 6 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

FYI: The Pro actually DOES have "2X Playfield Scoring" in the code.
I was able to get it as a mystery award from the scoop.

But that's different than "Double Scoring." I've gotten random 2X scoring on the scoop, but that's worded differently than double scoring from the upper playfield. It may even be stackable on the Prem/LE. And that aside, even if they were the same (which they aren't) a random award isn't the same as a skill award you can do on demand. So, yeah, there's still a handicap to scoring on the Pro.

#3429 6 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

How do you start 2x scoring the premium?

Pretty sure 2x scoring is the same on all. It's double scoring which is only on the Pre/LE that you start by lighting all the targets on the mini-pf then hitting the upper orbit.

#3435 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

What's the difference between 2x and double?

You can't stack 2x and 2x. You can stack 2x and double.

#3440 6 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Concerning Sweet Emotion, I thought I read somewhere if you hit something maybe the scoop you get more time to complete the mode.
Anyway I was one who said no interest due to theme and probably will eat my words, due to gameplay.

Crank it Up gives you more time on all the songs if you hit the scoop when lit. Mystery awards also give more time at the scoop if they come up.

#3449 6 years ago

Dunno if anyone has mentioned this, but there's actually a grace period on the song timer when it runs out. If you hit the scoop when the cowbell clangs, you're usually SOL, no CiU.

However, IF you have mystery lit, you CAN get extra time even after the timer is out, and then it immediately awards you CiU, too! So the mystery award bridges a grace period into the song timer that is not there for regular CiU.

1 week later
#3522 6 years ago
Quoted from Dust2000:

Do you guys think it plays similar to Metallica??? I'd be keen to hear as I haven't tried that one yet and that's my first choice at the moment as I'm a big Metallica fan and not such a big Aerosmith fan.

They shoot totally different. But I'd take a Metallica Premium with a Color DMD over an Aerosmith.

1 week later
#3572 6 years ago

What about the Smart button , i feel it does not do much it's already there so Stern needs to make it worth it, right ?

I neglected to mention that the Smart Button also cashes in coins when flashing.

#3574 6 years ago

Did not know that,turns coins into Game points ?

Seems to work like the Iron Bank in GoT. Not super-sure since I was trying to watch and play the times when it happened. It may only be cash-able in Last Child, since that's the only place I've done it.

#3582 6 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Being a new Aerosmith owner. I have a question about the rules that I've noticed. Do y'all think this is a bug or how it is supposed to play?
With most all songs that I've noticed (besides Multiball songs) it seems like if the timer runs out I'm either awarded with completing the song if I hit Crank It Up or "change track" is lit I can at least play the same song again and continue my progression towards completing the song where I left off before the timer ran out.
EXCEPT if I pick Sweet Emotion. It's like I have to start the mode all over again and I loose all of my pie pieces I previously earned for that song. Is it me? Or does it that not seem right?
Your thoughts?

Sweet Emotion is kind of like a mini-wizard mode. You have to finish it all in one go. The recommended progression is Walk this Way, Rats in the Cellar (building Toybox toys and Elevator locks) and then Sweet Emotion when you can unleash the multiballs.

Lately I've been playing more Last Child to try to figure out how the coins you can "spend" with the Smart Button (when it's flashing light blue) work. I've only had them in that song.

#3586 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I haven't played either game, but this looks to be better than metallica. Am i crazy or does this game not play quite as well? The ball lock in aerosmith is freaking amazing looking to me. And the play looks cool too. Anyone wanna chime in?

Metallica is a better game. AS gets repetitive (yes, even more than Metallica can).

4 weeks later
#3609 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

What are the street prices for the Pro & Premium?

New or used?

#3633 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Well how the hell is that possible? Lol.
If I were to get a pretty nice shape MET for 5k, or a NIB Aerosmith for 5500, what would you choose? After tonight, I'm not sure anymore.

Depends on your personal play preferences, but Met is WAY deeper and will last longer at home if you're a decent player.

#3637 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

MET is awesome no doubt but can get like chopping wood after a while. There are only 4 CIU modes AND IT TAKES A TON OF BASHING to get to see any.

Crank it Up is just one area of the game (that has no equivalent in Aerosmith), but there's plenty else without that. Again, it depends on your play preferences, but Met will last longer in a home with a decent player.

#3638 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I am 99% sure to buy Aerosmith next week when my distro of choice has stock.
Sorta nervous tho as a few Star Wars games have ghosting inserts already.
Any PF issues on Aerosmith arise yet? I asked before but that was pre-ghosted Star Wars

Haven't heard a thing about Aerosmith PF issues, and the Premium we had had a beautiful playfield.

#3665 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So Aerosmith has immediate appeal, but how are the legs? For those that have had it for a while now, do you still enjoy it? Be honest.

The Aerosmith Premium I helped with on route was fun to play but pretty shallow. It was also a dud for earnings, regularly being outearned by XMEN LE (and not by a little). The OP has already gotten rid of it.

#3667 6 years ago

Interesting, wonder why?
Maybe because it is not a journey type game?
Also it needs to be clearer how earning coins for example, helps?

Dunno. It was at one of the best-earning locations. KISS killed it there (and everywhere it's installed). The only two that didn't were Hobbit and Aerosmith. WoZ, GoT, XMEN LE, KISS...all of them earned great at this location. Aerosmith did not. It was weird. Most of the players there wouldn't care about earning coins in the game, they're not that deep. I had one guy tell me that balls were getting stuck on WoZ. Turns out, he didn't understand that the huts in Munchkinland were a ball lock and they were "stuck" there on purpose. Not everyone there is that level, but it's not tournament level clientele.

#3670 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Once all the songs have been played and the two multiballs is there a wizard mode in the current code?
Also to confirm a flashing song insert is played/incomplete? Solid insert is mode played/completed?

Medley multiball. But that's it for the multiballs, I think. Pretty light on multiballs compared to KISS.

#3673 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

What song is used for that mode? is that mode insert the little white heart/Aerosmith sign in the middle of the mode inserts?

On medley, you play through all the songs in multiball mode, like a concert setlist. You start it at the scoop. That part is NOT obvious and frustrating the first time.

#3677 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I can't find any good video of the le pre,can we speak of the differences and if you feel the pre is worth the extra cost,I have played a pro and like it but the upper playfield looks like it could be fun,any thoughts?
Thanks,

Premium is the way to go, IMO. It's a challenging mini-playfield (especially in multiball) where you can activate Double Scoring, which is stackable with the regular playfield 2x, etc and not available on the Pro. Plus, I preferred the coloring of the cabinet.

#3678 6 years ago

Haven't heard anyone getting Final Tour yet but this sneak preview reveals enough to show it could be pretty awesome!
» YouTube video

So, there's one more multiball. Never got to Final Tour.

#3682 6 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

After sw, I wonder if the ghosting on Aerosmith is also present?

Aerosmith looked much better than the playfields from games immediately before or after. Haven't heard of any with ghosting, either. It's like it was a different process or vendor.

1 week later
#3720 6 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Am I correct that the shaker is not really used in this game ? In settings shaker works and it is set to max in the menu.

It works, but the effects are more sparse and subtle than some other titles.

#3723 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I was gonna buy a metallica and now I can't get it from where I was gonna buy one from (ugh). So they offered me an Aerosmith for that same price. What do I doooooo?

Metallica has legs in a home environment. Aerosmith as it is now will not, IMO.

Plenty of distributors have Metallica stock. I'd just call the usual suspects. Should not be hard to find one.

There's a number of Met Premiums in the marketplace here, some with extras for less than $6k. That's a great price.

#3728 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I hate to ask, but who's the usual suspects? Cointaker was who I was gonna go through and they were gonna give it for a great price. Who else should I check with?

Tilt Amusements
Hemispheres Amusements
Game Exchange

Are all good places to get a machine from.

#3729 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

AS is just as good as Met IMO - In fact, I would say it's even more fun and is even better as a complete package.
IMO AS will last longer than Met -> specifically because of the "slightly wood choppy" nature of Met

I guess it depends on what your goals are. If you want a "pick up and play" game or if you want a very deep, challenging game that will last a long time at home before you see the end, if ever. I didn't have Aerosmith long, but I was already to Medley mode. One more mode and the games finished. That's WAY too fast, and I would lose interest as I do once I've completed a pin. I've never completed all of Metallica, and so I keep coming back. That's why I'd recommend Met in a home over Aerosmith for a competent player.

#3733 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Is there a reason you keep lurking in every AS thread steering everyone to Metallica? I know Met is a great game, maybe one of the best ever, but come on.

I didn't solicit or invent the question. The person asked for help deciding between the two. I gave the answer and the reasons for the answer. Pretty simple to understand.

It's not like all vs Met will always be Met. If you ask me Met vs Woz, I'll say WoZ.

#3736 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

IMO "Completing" a pinball and then being done with it is a "Video Game" mentality. That's not how I think of pinball, and IMO it takes the fun out of a game.

Congrats. You're completely entitled to enjoy the games how you like. I just know that for myself, once I complete the final wizard mode, I lose interest. Just the way it is for me. You get to have your opinions, too.

Quoted from T7:

BTW - Medley mode is ONLY a mini-wizard mode, that you SHOULD get to every once in a while. Like Crank it Up on Met or Royal Madness on MM. There's nothing wrong with that. Final Tour is the Wizard Mode and it's quite difficult to get to - almost no one has seen it with the glass on!

Actually, Sweet Emotion is more like the first mini-wizard mode since you have to do it in one shot. Getting to Medley after a very short time with the machine and almost to Final Tour (not all modes were solid, but close), is concerning.

Quoted from T7:

Some more FYI's for you regarding lack of depth...
- AC/DC only has 1 Wizard mode - so I guess you really don't like that game
- MM, AFM and The Shadow, and almost ALL B/W 90's games only have 1 Wizard mode - all fails I guess
- Tron has 2 that are connected - SOS and Portal - no more than AS

Battle for the Kingdom I have been to many, many times and never finished. I always choke. The Shadow is WAY harder to complete than Aerosmith (haven't owned it in a while, but I remember it fondly as a tough game).

Only casually played AC/DC, nowhere near long enough to get an idea of difficulty. Did not like Tron, so doesn't matter to me.

Quoted from T7:

It's nice to have a couple deep things to go for, and that's exactly what AS has!
The majority of competent players I know don't have this "Video Game" mentality regarding pinball. I find it more prevalent among the "B/C" players, that want to explore a game and once they've seen it move on.

Or amongst players with access to a constant stream of new pins. For me, it clicks and I finish it, it doesn't click and I move on, or it clicks and I keep it because I can't finish it. As a recovering pin addict, I don't keep many pins personally for long - two max at any given time. Working with the OP in town has really helped with scratching the pinball itch since I end up with almost every new pin for a few weeks until it goes on location.

1 week later
#3779 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

As I thought, there was an airball protector already on my LE out of the box. So Stern must have them.

Stern has had one there since the beginning on the Prem/LE, but the one they initially had was two pieces with a gap between them that some airballs would hit and it would kill momentum, rejecting the ball.

#3793 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Must be a playfield pitch thing. Ive got my game ad about 7deg, and there is no way the ball could even get airborne off that ramp. Never had it hit the plastic.

Wax it well, polish. I had it at 7 degrees and it did that pretty frequently until it settled down.

#3800 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Smart Missles are like Big Foot.
Never seen in real life.
Reminds me of Mitch Hedberg.
"I think Bigfoot *IS* blurry. Its not the photographers fault"

Just keep hitting the Aerosmith letters and hitting the scoop for mystery award that is the only way to get it. You see it more often if you're going for it, but frankly, it's not worth the effort.

#3802 6 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

Has anyone had a ball get stuck between the upper playfield and lower playfield after making the elevator shot on the premium/LE?

You mean if you drop it down the elevator? If so, that's a fairly common obstruction point. There's a few posts about people who lifted the mini-playfield to move whatever was stopping the ball under there.

2 weeks later
#3815 6 years ago
Quoted from seiman:

Is there any Cliffy protector for the toy box launcher, my PF looks already bad...
Thx

Yeah, he sells a set of protectors for Aerosmith. The protectors in it cover the shooter lane, mini-pf elevator hole, main pf elevator scoop, and launcher trough. Here's the piece that covers the launcher trough. I can post the rest if you want to see them.

AS-tunnel-004 (resized).jpgAS-tunnel-004 (resized).jpg

#3817 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I noticed a bug during Dude Looks Like a Lady where the winged 2x award thing came on screen under the dancer overlays (the revealed dude dancers). This is what we called a "z-order bug" in my game software days. In case anytime from Stern is reading this lol

You can report bugs directly to Stern at [email protected] or [email protected]

#3819 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to email Cliffy and get a set (as I don't see it on his site right now).

No problem, I thought it was common knowledge. I only posted a pic because seiman asked. First thing I do when a new pin is on the way is email Cliff for a set of whatever Cliffys he has for it. Since they're generally newly released pins, he doesn't have them on his site when I inquire, so the email is just a habit now.

#3822 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

No reply yet to my email about the song changing if you (short) plunge and flip before the ball triggers another switch. It's frustrating because it should be so easy to fix.

That bug has been on at least 1.28 and 1.30 KISS bug lists here that Stern has a link to for over a year. They knew about it on KISS for a long time, which is why I think KISS 1.30 was a revision they sat on for a long time because so many long-documented easy to fix bugs weren't fixed on it. And large chunks of KISS code were copied to form the base of Aerosmith, and this KISS bug came along for the ride. Hopefully they fix it on both machines before Borg infects another new machine with he same bug.

#3825 6 years ago
Quoted from seiman:

Thx, but am actualy not talking about this area, i mean the place where the ball rests before launching....I will take a pic of my AS later, if iam at home.

Ah, the inside square for the launch. I don't think his current protector handles that, but you're right, it should.

#3830 6 years ago
Quoted from seiman:

Yeah exactly that what i mean, so however i am not satisfied with this Situation and had hope there is already a cliffy to buy...

I just forwarded Cliff that pic and will post if he says he's doing something about protecting it. It does need it. If we still had an Aerosmith Premium here I'd definitely want it reinforced, too. I always thought it was weird they left that whole area naked wood from the factory.

1 week later
#3870 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Guys I've been on the fence about making this our next pin for months. My fear is that it might be too simple/shallow to have staying power in a 5 pin lineup. Has anyone had it for several months with lots of plays, and if so, are you still loving it as much as when you got it? I ask because when I first got my Smaug LE I loved it...but got tired of it within a few months (just not much to shoot for in that pin) Thoughts?

Hobbit's a beautiful dud. Your experience is not unusual.

I still think Aerosmith is much less full-featured than KISS. The Premium is a beautiful looking game, but I just didn't click with it. Once you get past the toybox launch there's not much there. On the route I help with it was the least-popular new pin he put out in the last 18 months. KISS literally did at least 2x the business it did every month, so Aerosmith is gone already. You can get a HUO KISS Prem with a very similar set of rules and more modes for less than $6k these days.

With all the pins soon to be announced and released in the coming months (AC/DC Prem vault, Guardians of the Galaxy, Houdini, Jersey Jack #4 (ToyStory or PoTC, supposedly), Nightmare Before Christmas - wait, you can't buy that one, scratch that.), I'd wait on the decision, especially if you already have 5 pins.

#3881 6 years ago

So, are you saying that if you have 5 balls in the toybox and then start elevator mb, elevator mb becomes a 5 ball multiball? And presumably scoring is higher?

It has no way to regulate how many balls come out of the toybox, so you get everything in there if you start Elevator multiball with the toybox loaded.

#3887 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

My game reset today
I started every mode & was about to start Medley or whatever it is.
Never happened before.
Anyone else ever experience a reset like this?

Yep. Had it happen a few times. Supposedly caused by power dropping low briefly on the node board for the flippers, but I haven't heard more about it lately.

#3889 6 years ago

The weird thing is that it seems to happen during a really good, long game!

For me it ALWAYS happened when I was on a hot game, which made it an extra-strong kick in the balls.

#3913 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Be positive my brother! Things are going to be different this time around, we got Lonnie on our side. AS is his masterpiece!!

You mean like KISS? One of his best, but just like the rest...unfinished.

#3915 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I think smart missles expire.
I gained one, tried to sandbag it, then it was gone.
I think
They're so rare. Its the fucking Sasquatch of pinball.

I think it's more likely that when you skip the multiball to build the toybox, it "uses" the Smart Missile. Probably a bug. Batman did the same thing with gadgets (and I'm not sure that's even fixed since the gadgets are pretty useless and I don't use them now).

#3920 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

That's a terrible bug.
The massively underutilized Aerosmith smart missles cannot even be controlled? Strategy cannot be used?
Lol
No need for a Smart button at all then. Just make one of the scoop awards a "Random shot awarded" award.
For the life of me I am unable to construct the previous sentance without using the word "award" three times in a row.

Well, to be fair, I haven't CONFIRMED that's what happened, but given that Batman did it, it probably is. Once they fix the bug, it will let you be strategic, but who knows when that will happen. And even then, there better be better ways to earn smart missiles besides a random award once every 25 games.

2 weeks later
#3962 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

My game does not reset and my LCD screen doesn’t go black either. You may want to call Stern about those two issues because I don’t think that is normal.

Resetting usually happens when you're having a big game (at least when it happened to me) and is supposed to be a problem with the voltage ranges on the Node board for the flipper. It's not game specific, but a spike issue AFAIK.

#3968 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

LCD will go black if you change the song after launching and before the ball hits any switches. The game is confused about what mode you are in. It’s kind of a big bug.

That was inherited when they copied KISS code as a base for Aerosmith development.

#3970 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Some folks say Stern copied software from a buggy incomplete game (KISS) & then pasted a good portion of it into Aerosmith.

It's clear they copied KISS code to start development. If they DIDN'T they're morons because a good lot of Aerosmith is essentially re-skinned KISS. But they did. The KISS Army Multiball setting in initial Aerosmith firmware pretty much let that cat out of the bag. And the KISS song change bug that's in Aerosmith, too confirmed it.

#3977 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I was talking to the local agents tech, and he was saying he thinks the power supplies have a pot in them to bump the 48v a little ... which would fix the problem. I haven't seen him since then, so I don't know if they do or not, but if they did bump up to say 48.5v that'd sort the problem for sure.
rd

Next time I have one open to upgrade the fan, I'll have a look. Thanks for the tip.

#3980 6 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

What kind of upgrade fans do you use in the power supplies?

The super-silence series, HA40201V4-000U-999. Takes the noise from about 30db down to 12db. After the change, you basically don't hear it come on anymore.

Note that this is for Stern Prem/LE. The Pros use different (larger) fans. Also JJP uses a different fan for the head venting that can be reduced by a similar amount.

#3983 6 years ago

This one?
amazon.com link »

Get it from Digikey. You can get 3 for what Amazon 3rd party sellers are asking for 1.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sunon-fans/HA40201V4-1000U-A99/259-1791-ND/6198729

Note that you'll also need a 3 to 2 wire adapter like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FYIBJ8

...and you'll have to switch the red and black wire to match the orientation of the stock fan plug.

#3986 6 years ago

Thank you!
Any idea on the fan type for the Pro power supplies?

No idea. The route only gets Prem/LEs so I haven't taken apart a pro power supply.

#3998 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Can you take pictures the next time you switch out a fan? If you can do a youtube video, that would be even better.
The quieter fan, does it perform the same?

The rated CFM is about 2/3 the stock one, but I've never had a heating issue due to insufficient venting, and I've converted 5 machines. The stock Stern one is intolerable, IMO. No idea why they don't have the spec for their Power Supply orders changed. They do enough volume that they could do it, no problem.

Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Sometimes my AS doesn't boot up when turned on. I have to shut it off and wait 30 seconds then turn it back on.

Welcome to Spike.

#4004 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

For what it is worth, neither of my Spike games (GB or AS) has ever rebooted that I have noticed. I would not consider that normal nor would I live with that if it started happening to my games.

It's only ever happened to me on hot games, usually well into the game and when a lot of stuff is going on.

#4013 6 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

I have a Aerosmith Pro and it has never reset. I have about 350 plays on it.

Different power supply in the pros, plus less things powered. I haven't spent much time on the pros, this may be a Spike Prem/LE issue only due to different power supply and more stuff powered vs a pro.

#4021 6 years ago

Not owning the game myself, my biggest question remains... exactly how easy is the short plunge to lock balls?
Very, kind of, sometimes, or rarely

Pretty easy.

2 months later
#4104 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

The action button currently launches smart missiles, although minuscule, it happens.

Currently, it launches balls, shoots smart missiles, bypasses multiballs, spends coins.

#4106 6 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Spends coins? Is this in a mode I haven't gotten to?

Play through a mode to completion to earn "coins" in the super mode. Pretty sure earning them is tied to combos while in the super mode. We don't have it anymore and I don't remember the specifics, but if you look at the screen on the (right?) edge there is a coin graphic that shows what you've collected. I also don't remember what USING them with the button does, but it does use them.

#4112 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Just pickup this game(pro) last night!
What are some of the nicer mods to do? I also need a complete rubber kit. Is black the best color?
I will attempt to review this thread but if anyone wants to link to their cool mods and color combos - I love pics.
Thanks.

I personally like the extra bounce of white rubber. Marco Specialties has the best white rubber going in my experience.

Black rubber is slightly "deader" so I usually don't keep it long in the pins at my house.

#4140 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Why not? They did it with James Hetfield.

James was a motivated pinhead to begin with. I don't think Steven Tyler is into pins anywhere near as much (if at all).

#4147 6 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

I just wish they would fix when you have a ball locked already and thus the toy box is going to close and Jacky gets the ball in his face. There is a very long delay, to the point where if you aren't aware of it you'd think the game had frozen up or something. Sometimes Jacky will say "You aren't going to hit a guy in the face with a steel ball, would you?"
Then you wait.
And wait.
And wait.
And wait.
That really needs to be fixed and I have to believe it would be pretty quick to code that.

Or just remove the bit and let the game progress without it. It's not funny.

3 weeks later
#4153 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

How does one adjust the shooter rod so it's better centered on the ball?
I noticed that on a soft plunge as the ball goes up the shooter lane it glances off the inside rail which sends it glancing off the outside wall so when it reaches the end where the ramp is, it collides with the inside wall of the lane and usually just rattles around. That makes it really difficult and frustrating to hit the skill shot (or either lane switch).
I played another AS on location and a soft plunge was super smooth.
I had to video mine in super slo-mo to see what was happening. If I set the ball 2 inches in front of the rod and push it with my finger, it goes straight up the lane so I am thinking I need to adjustment the rod.
Help! Thanks.

The shooter rod housing can be moved a little, then tightened back up. Loosen all three screws from the inside, adjust, then re-tighten.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

$ 19.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.75
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Electronics
Space Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-aerosmith-pinball?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.