You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Interest in Aerosmith pinball machine”

• Yes- I would be interested if it plays well 193 votes
    19%
  • Yes-I would be interested if it has hand drawn art and plays well 106 votes
    10%
  • No-I do not care for Aerosmith, regardless of how it looks or plays 492 votes
    49%
  • Mabye-Not a huge fan of Aerosmith but if it plays good and looks good-mabye 221 votes
    22%

(1012 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Marshall (resized).jpg
d112c526ae84fbb4157faf6e388f5475--james-hetfield-pinball (resized).jpg
HOMER-THANOS (resized).jpg
AS-Grill2 (resized).jpg
marshall (resized).jpg
aero (resized).JPG
9435340A-B7F7-475B-A643-A171B165CB2B (resized).jpeg
FyYli72 (resized).jpg
F8EB5979-E9A5-46A9-A824-115180171946 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6660 (resized).PNG
Harry and the Hendersons (resized).png
IMG_1673 (resized).JPG
code is coming (resized).jpg
20170817_212543 (resized).jpg
IMG_5940 (resized).JPG
AS-tunnel-004 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #733 First official pictures, press release and feature matrix from Stern. Posted by Gexchange (7 years ago)

Post #762 Link to Stern "Gameplay Video Sneak Peek" on Facebook. Posted by Apollyon (7 years ago)

Post #784 Approximate Street Prices to expect for Aerosmith Pinball Posted by PinB (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#106 8 years ago

I'm not a big Aerosmith fan but with Lyman, Borg, and Dirty Donnie rumored to be at the helm I think it could surprise a lot of people and turn out awesome! Hopefully they follow the formula with Metallica and basically create an original theme with an Aerosmith soundtrack vs. Designing the theme around the band itself. I'm imagine 70s themed classic artwork and maybe they would even throw in the Sparky character and make it a sequel of sorts.

2 months later
#211 7 years ago

I think people may be making the mistake of under estimating this game. I remember when Metallica was a rumor and people were looking past it and thinking it would be another geriatric band theme with photoshopped art and looking forward to Star Trek which was supposed to blow everyone away with its technology and Steve Ritchie design. It's a similar year with SR supposedly designing Star Wars. Aerosmith has the same exact team as Metallica. It wouldn't surprise me if this game was basically a sequel to Metallica and feautured similar art and characters including Sparky. It would basically be like Scared Stiff in relation to Party Monsters. The band is secondary and serves as the soundtrack for the game just as Metallica did on their game. Aerosmith also has the advantage of having an LCD display. With all this being said I could be totally wrong and it could just be a lame geriatric band pin but I think after the success of Metallica Stern hopefully learned a thing or two and will stick to that formula.

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

I couldn't have an Aerosmith pin in my home. theyre too cheesy.

If I had a dollar for everyone that's mentioned that they bought Metallica despite not liking the band I'd probably be at least a hundred aire by now! I think the same thing will apply to Aerosmith. When people see great artwork, a feature packed playfield and stellar rules they will be willing to overlook not liking the band and buy one.

2 weeks later
#259 7 years ago
Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

- Tame Impala
- The Beatles
- Iron Maiden
- Dinosaur Jr.
- Radiohead
Any of those would translate better into pinball than Aerosmith IMO.
Aerosmith is just too slow, and it isn't, I don't know, weird enough, I guess.
They need to pick something with some grit. Something with speed. Something with influential art and/or sounds.
Aside from Steven Tyler's voice, Aerosmith sounds incredibly generic. It's the music that would be playing while you're shopping at Kmart or Macy's or swimming at a public pool. It's not something that really gets me excited in any way. It's the music you don't even notice is playing.
I was in the party that said, "Ew Metallica?" But it ended up being okay because they embraced the theme unabashedly with skulls, flames, snakes, puking, electrocuting someone to death, etc.
What's Aerosmith going to incorporate, a Blue Light Special hurry up? An American Idol "Going to Hollywood" wizard mode?
I trust that Borg and Lyman will make any machine the best it can possibly be, my qualm is that right out of the gate an Aerosmith machine is going to be sandbagged by its theme.
Whatever, I just had a kid, the last thing I need is to be tempted to buy another machine anyway.

If It is Aerosmith I would use Pinball browser and put in a mix of music including early Aerosmith, Tom Petty, and some newer bands like Tame Impala and War on Drugs. I really think the game itself could be a winner being it is Borg/Lyman/Dirty Donny!

1 month later
#343 7 years ago

I'm not a big Aerosmith fan but with Stern's A team working on it I certainly wouldn't count it out. I have a feeling it will surprise a lot of people. I was planning to pick up a GB but with all the delays and issues I may just hold off and wait and see what Aerosmith looks like before making a decision either way.

#345 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Here, this will save you the wait.

Lol. If it looks like that it's a pass even if the software and layout is awesome. Hoping with DD on art it is more similar to PBR Can Crusher or Metallica with the band being a secondary element on the pin and more inspired by 70s style artwork.

#348 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Looking at that it's already a pass as far as I'm concerned. No $8000 tribute to has been rock stars in my house.

$8k LE is out of the question for me but a $5k Pro with color LCD could be tempting if done right. The game could end up being a sequel to Metallica. Wouldn't be surprised if it feautured a return of Sparky.

1 week later
#398 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Why do you say that.

Because the next pin is Batman VE 66' edition.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
4 months later
#889 7 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Biggest limiting factors for modern Sterns are 1) mandatory Italian bottom with virtually no variation. So many hundreds of ways to have fun with this area 2) mandatory pop nest (always on upper half of PF) 3) mandatory standard body. Still hard to come up with something truly new but these rules really up the "sameness" factor on these games.

WOF got away with not using a mandatory Italian bottom and I think it made it a much more exciting game because of the extra nudging possibilities. I'm surprised they haven't tried doing that again.

As for Aerosmith I actually think the art and the layout on the Pro looks fantastic!-I actually enjoy the KISS layout so I don't mind seeing it improved and recycled. The biggest reason to hold off on buying this game though is code. If it doesn't have Lyman or Dwight on lead software what are the chances that it's actually going to be any good.

3 weeks later
#1474 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not a lot of choices if you want a new game today as they are all pretty much outdated themes now.

Game of Thrones and Walking Dead aren't modern enough for you

1 week later
#1530 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

My fear is not code based but mechanical. Someone stated that the balls were not jumping into the toy chest properly. That to me is a concern, I can't stand when a game is released with mechanical issues that majorly affect gameplay(ie. GOT LE/Premium left orbit diverter).

Does anyone know if the Toy chest has a magnet to assist with catching the ball (similar to the backboard in NBA) or does it just get launched in there and rely on gravity to keep it in? I know that in the games that do rely on magnets that those magnets usually get mangled really quick due to how hard the ball hits them.

1 week later
#1651 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Pro is IMO the way to go on this title
That's good because Pro is the only way I will go on any title due to the ridiculous pricing of Premiums.
If Stern makes lame pros & awesome premiums they get $0 from me. Code, pricing & QC has slowly pushed me into other hobbies & I'm just seeing less & less value in pinball lately.
Stern will survive without me. No worries
LCD is DOPE! My DMD games can suck it. No way in hell moving FW I'd buy a used DMD Pro listed @ $4500 then buy a $400 color DMD when a NIB LCD magically arrives @ my house for $300 more

I'm honestly way more impressed with TWD with ColorDMD than I am with Aerosmith's or BM66s LCD.. I like the size but the content and implementation is lacking. Hobbit or WOZ is way more impressive. I do agree that the Pro is a pretty good value though.

#1659 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I mean, it comes down to personal taste but so far I think the Aerosmith LCD animations look like a bad flash game.

Agreed! Dots when done right are really an art form. I would much prefer a colorDMD for games like TWD or GB than an LCD showing flash animations, or worse yet actual movie or show clips. If they would utilize the full size of the ColorDMD in the speaker panel that would really be perfect!

#1686 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's better than Wheel of Fortune is and that's your favorite game!

Honestly, WOF is probably better. At least it has a truly original layout, inline drops, and a deep Keith Johnson ruleset. Aerosmith is better than anticipated but just doesn't bring anything new or exciting to the table. It is pretty though!

#1701 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No, no it's not. There are so many rough edges and unfinished things (including missing animations and inserts that do nothing), it's completely distracting to play WoF. Also, the VOICES are TERRIBLE. I'm no fan of Sparky2 aka Jester in Aerosmith, but it destroys the bargain barrel WoF voices.

The game is missing some key callouts and lacks polish in the software but as for the rules themselves and what's missing is stuff that 98% of the people that play the game aren't going to be able to see anyway. I mean who's actually even completed 4 puzzles and played through all 7 bonus wheel modes in a single game. I'm an above average player and really haven't come close. The game is brutal! I think it's the toughest DMD era pin out there at least how mine is setup. The rules that are there are fantastic! The bonus round modes are all unique and fit the game well. You can also stack nearly everything together. If you can get a mode like "Ramp Rampage" stacked with both Trip and Wheel multiball and then open up the right ramp and hit your 2X and 4X shots just right to correspond with the big jackpots you can really blow up your score quick! This game was risk/reward before games like ACDC came along and made it cool. And I love the lower playfield layout and how it forces you to play on your toes and also encourages nudging at just the right times to save the ball. It's a lot of fun and completely different than any other DMD game which is refreshing when every other game seems to be a copycat of some other previous game. Yeah, the voices aren't my favorite but I don't find them that distracting and they fit the theme well. I don't know if any of the missing callouts or voices could possibly be improved or added via "Pinball Browser" but it would be cool if they could. Overall though it's still a top 10 Stern game for me and I never really get tired of playing it due to the uniqueness and challenge unlike a lot of other recent Stern games which haven't held my attention over the long term. I know the game isn't for everyone, but consider me one of its biggest fans!

#1736 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm obsessed with Batman66 because I said it is a letdown.....really? It is what it is dude, the game has been a complete disaster so far and you know it as well as I do. I love the theme and I wanted it to be great so this isn't no crusade against Batman. I'm not the one that made the game suck so don't get mad at me over it.

I've learned to bite my tongue on criticizing any pin that Lyman is involved with. When TWD came out I was one of the haters. I didn't like how much time the ball spent in the pops. The TWD I played on route didn't register 1/2 the hits to the prison and would throw the ball down the middle almost every time. It was just brutal and the rules were terrible out of the gate. I remember a time when "Bicycle Girl" was the best way to accumulate points. I also thought that the voice work was a huge disappointment and the game lacked any connection to the show.

Fast forward to now and it's my favorite Stern pin. Yes, BM66 is a disappointment as it sits and has a lot to overcome (clunky turn table) in order to be considered a good game. But with Lyman working on it I wouldn't count it out. I have a feeling in a year or two it will be a very solid game and will be more highly regarded than Aerosmith. People really just need to give this game some time before giving up on it.

1 month later
#2285 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I see that you're still loving you're new Aerosmith....that's great. Now that you've played it a lot, do you think its going to be a keeper for life?

Keeper for life. Lol... This is Derek we're talking about. Great guy but I'd put the over/under at 3 months or whenever Star Wars comes out and becomes the next new best pin ever!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Electronics
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.75
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
$ 10.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-aerosmith-pinball?tu=mikes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.