You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Interest in Aerosmith pinball machine”

• Yes- I would be interested if it plays well 193 votes
    19%
  • Yes-I would be interested if it has hand drawn art and plays well 106 votes
    10%
  • No-I do not care for Aerosmith, regardless of how it looks or plays 492 votes
    49%
  • Mabye-Not a huge fan of Aerosmith but if it plays good and looks good-mabye 221 votes
    22%

(1012 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Marshall (resized).jpg
d112c526ae84fbb4157faf6e388f5475--james-hetfield-pinball (resized).jpg
HOMER-THANOS (resized).jpg
AS-Grill2 (resized).jpg
marshall (resized).jpg
aero (resized).JPG
9435340A-B7F7-475B-A643-A171B165CB2B (resized).jpeg
FyYli72 (resized).jpg
F8EB5979-E9A5-46A9-A824-115180171946 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6660 (resized).PNG
Harry and the Hendersons (resized).png
IMG_1673 (resized).JPG
code is coming (resized).jpg
20170817_212543 (resized).jpg
IMG_5940 (resized).JPG
AS-tunnel-004 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #733 First official pictures, press release and feature matrix from Stern. Posted by Gexchange (7 years ago)

Post #762 Link to Stern "Gameplay Video Sneak Peek" on Facebook. Posted by Apollyon (7 years ago)

Post #784 Approximate Street Prices to expect for Aerosmith Pinball Posted by PinB (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 8 years ago

Aerosmith will be awesome - can't wait. Maybe they'll get Dirty Donnie again

#82 8 years ago

Aerosmith will sell just fine. Just because a small group of pinsiders are very passionate on their like/dislike for particular rock bands, it doesn't mean diddly. Aerosmith is one of the top selling bands ever and will be a big draw - and Stern knows this.

They have more US album sales (67 million) than ANY of the other suggested bands except the Beatles and Led Zeppelin - which Stern probably can't get the licensing for. It's kind of hilarious how many people keep suggesting B-level heavy metal bands like they would have a shot at selling in volume for a pinball machine over a mega popular band like Aerosmith.

Some of the negativity is probably spurred on by a dislike that Steven Tyler was on American Idol - but from a marketing perspective, Steven Tyler / Aerosmith is mega popular right now and will result in more sales because of American Idol.

Bring it on Stern! The naysayers are just a small, insignificant (but vocal) sampling

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Maiden is not B-level heavy metal group dude. Just because you don't like evil stuff from hell doesnt mean it's not good lol

LOL - I didn't say IM was B-Level - they're probably the best heavy metal option that's been mentioned (for a pinball machine) - primarily because of the album artwork and Eddie. Maiden would be polarizing and would stop as many purchases as it would pull in.

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

So nobody here remembers 3 years ago when the same things were being said about Metallica right up until people saw the artwork?

Exactly - people are very passionate about music, so the negativity comes out pretty strong.

4 months later
#474 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And remember this is about Aerosmith, a band that hasn't put out a good album since Rocks released in May 1976 when Gerald Ford was still president.

Incorrect - Aerosmith has sold many more albums AFTER Rocks, than they did up through Rocks. Their record sales indicate plenty of good albums - they are one of the top selling bands ever at around 160 million albums. Why keep repeating the same negative, ignoring the facts (record sales), opinion? You're right - it is pretty silly.

4 months later
#643 7 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Star wars LE would be a sure fire buy sight unseen. Even if it ends up sucking. We can't keep DE star wars in stock at all.
It would sell down the road just on title alone. Will hold its value well. Sad but true.

Are you sure? What about SW:EP 1?

2 weeks later
#1288 7 years ago

The topper with Steven Tyler doesn't look as good because of the circle around his head.
If you could cut it to the unique outline of the head (like the Jacky topper) it would look better.

2 weeks later
#1461 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I come for the humor of it, and feel it's my right as an Aerosmith fan back in the 70s to pile more on.
This is a joke isn't it? Or are they really doing Aerosmith in the year 2017. Sorry, I can't help but finding that in itself hilarious.

Dude - don't try to pass it off as just your sense of humor. It obviously pisses you off, as you have lamented how terrible it is that Stern is doing Aerosmith relentlessly for at least a half a year! It's like some terrible tragedy happened in your personal life that you blame Aerosmith for. You literally have hundreds of anti-Aerosmith posts to your credit. It's not good to be so negatively obsessive.

2 weeks later
#1607 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Very KISS-y. Very.

It's like they took everything that's wrong with KISS and redesigned it to make an awesome pin!

2 weeks later
#1825 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I share your dream. I want an Iron Maiden pin even more than Star Wars.

Stern definitely has the license and is planning on making Iron Maiden. As I mentioned before, they were playing Iron Maiden videos at the 30th anniversary party - at a public event. You can't legally do that unless you have been given permission to do so. All the other music videos they played were ALL Stern Pinballs already (including Aerosmith).

1 week later
#1974 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

played aerosmith today at rock fantasy in Middletown. liked the way it looked, the ball shooting into the jester and the multi balls coming out of the jester were pretty smooth. color dmd awesome! give it a 6.0 out of 10.
btw, what the hell is going on with the magnets on bm66 and aerosmith? they seem to be using cheaper metal cause the aerosmith was already pitting badly and the bm 66 was really trashed.
maybe I will pick up a used aero in a couple years when code done. I refuse to buy nib from stern.

This makes no sense. You make positive remarks and then give it a 6.0 out of 10???

#1991 7 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Yea but the question remaining is can it hold up in a HUO environment. Consensus is this game is meant en route given the stuck in Elevator MB hell, and the bonus multipliers getting capped at just 10x. You will be repeating stuff (a lot) if you buy

2 or 3 people stating a similar opinion is not a consensus.

1 week later
#2112 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

s it the 40 pounds they removed? Is it the standoffs for the legs

Yes - you got it!

#2176 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Anybody know what the pro/premium and LE pricing is?

5200, 7000, 8300

#2260 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Game looks like a lot of fun but the latest code update makes it seem like gameplay won't expand much more beyohd what is already in the game. I'm just concerned that the game won't have enough staying power long term.

Just because they put out a small code update doesn't mean anything regarding future updates. The previous update was only a couple weeks ago. They probably just wanted to get the topper code out there.

#2322 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

AeroKISS is a modified KISS layout using (verified by the OOPS! in the system settings) the KISS code skeleton. Surprised? No KISS owner is. The software has been built up differently, but the layout is clearly KISS with only minor changes.

But why is it so upsetting that the layout or code has similarities to Kiss? Most of Borgs games have close similarities to each other. Aerosmith doesn't *feel* like you are playing Kiss, especially if you look at the Premium with the additional playfield - so the similarities are of no consequence. Additionally, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

1 week later
#2517 7 years ago
Quoted from pinrock:

Ok, The only question now is should I go Pro or LE?

The LE on Aerosmith is awesome - here's why...
- Awesome mirrored backglass (real BG, not translite)
- Best art package
- Purple powder coated armor goes great with the game
- Great Mini-Playfield
- 3 color GI like Metallica and AC/DC LE's (Blue, Red and White)
- Added drop blocking the Elevator shot - only goes down after the Elevator lock is qualified

Details on the mini-playfield...
- doesn't slow the ball at all on ramp shots -> actually a very cool loop around the mini playfield straight back to the right flipper
- adds the AC/DC Bell multiplier style rules to the game -> complete the mini playfield targets and loop for 2x scoring
- totally awesome during multiball - trying to get 2x going playing both playfields at the same time
- makes multiballs more exciting due to balls firing at the flippers from the right ramp
- playing the mini-playfield is short and sweet, not a gimme but not too much time -> what mini playfields should be!
- added strategy of shooting the toy box lock shot (or mode shot if lit) from the mini-playfield
-- it's possible to go for the Elevator lock, and then make this shot for a mode shot and/or lock shot
- extra flashers around the sides of the mini-playfield
- fits with the theme - the Elevator between the 2 levels

The Aerosmith mini-playfield is executed perfectly and totally enhances the game. Taking away the mini-playfield, it's still an awesome game for sure, but it's like removing the Bell from AC/DC. Bottom line is, it's a lot of fun!!!

#2520 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It IS a crap theme.

Crap theme for some, great theme for others -> exactly like any of the music pins including Metallica and AC/DC.

#2533 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The double lock feature is not on the Premium?

The Premium and LE are the same as far as game features - the differences are the Artwork, Backglass, and Armor

#2534 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ok so i keep seeing le owners mentioning red ,blue and white color coordinated gi like met and acdc? Is this true in the since that it does all one color in certain modes ? Or is it just red, white and blue bulbs in general in the gi ? If its like met and acdc i believe its the first spike system to do this. From videos it looks like the bulbs are not independently controlled like met or acdc.....?

Kiss is Spike and has 3 color controlled GI on the Premium/LE also. They haven't coded in many special effects yet, but that was the same with Metallica and Kiss at first.

#2565 7 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

I believe Sweet Emotion and maybe one other mode start over each time. All others maintain progress when started a second time. You also have to score a Super Jackpot in each of the multi-balls to finish them.

Sweet Emotion maintains progress. If you don't complete a mode, but it runs out of time -> then you start it again -> it will start from the beginning. This may have been what you saw.

#2609 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't care about the rules. To me rules can't overpower an ugly ass looking machine playing music I don't care to hear. The shots weren't that great either.

Be honest - you've been bagging on Aerosmith endlessly as soon as it was announced. You had NO IDEA what it looked like, played like or anything, but kept saying it would suck because it was Aerosmith. You're opinion was locked in, with absolutely no info. That's why you're opinion on AS doesn't really matter since it has nothing to do with the actual game - just the theme!

#2611 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Different Strokes for different folks. Hey Stern should do a Different Strokes themed game.

What you talkin' bout?

#2743 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Pros:
-Fun multiball
-Shoots nicely
-Good music, if you like Aerosmith
Cons:
-Bland modes
-Bad music, if you don't like Aerosmith
-Incoherent theme

Completely disagree with your cons - the modes are not bland at all - they are cooler than most other recent Stern games for sure.
Incoherent theme??? - There is nothing incoherent at all... It's all based around Aerosmith, and their songs. Jackie is a jack in the box toy, that's collecting toys (in the attic) for Toybox Multiball. It fit's perfectly with the song and multiball.

#2744 7 years ago
Quoted from pinrock:

This is what I think I've heard throughout pinside...Things like this it is just a re-themed KISS, that the upper playfield is not the greatest, that the code is a bit shallow without further updates, that the modes are unbalanced, that the playfield is a bit bare...etc.
I've also heard a lot of great things too and am very close to pulling the trigger on an LE, but everytime I get close, I revert back to a "wait and see" mode, which is where I find myself.
I guess I am just waiting to see if there are further code updates, any quality issues, or if the new game euphoria wears off. (I've looked back at some of the early KISS reviews and they were talking about how great that game was...but after time passed it became a disapointment for many...)

Upper playfield is awesome - you have to understand how it integrates with the rules.
Doesn't play at all like Kiss - similar layout, with anything that was "not fun" replaced/fixed - much better actually.
Modes balance is fine - could use some tweeking but way more balanced than most games really.
Playfield isn't bare at all on the LE And it's got the best artwork of ANY Stern game ever!

The negative comments are coming 90% from people that don't have a clue - most have never played, and others have minimal playtime as is obvious by their comments.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2764 7 years ago
Quoted from jathomp22:

I was playing this weekend and was one song away from Medley so I figured I would just craddle the ball to get to Medley but the timer stopped counting down. Has anyone else seen this or did I just have one to many beers? Does Aerosmith not let you craddle the ball and timeout songs? As soon as I shot the safest middle ramp shot, it started counting down again.

There is an option in the menu to stop timers or not - so you can choose what you like.

#2773 7 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I received my special 1 of 1 PROmium edition on Friday. It came with 1.02 code installed. When locking a ball on code 1.02 the jester would freeze during the animation sequence and if I recall correctly the toy box would close and then the ball would fire over at the closed toy box. Yes, it still registers the locked ball. So I assumed a code update would fix this. I updated the code yesterday and the problem is still there. Is this a known bug that still exists in 1.03 code?

This isn't a bug. The game won't keep locking balls in the toy box if there are already balls in there. So it specifically closes the box and launches the ball to miss on purpose. If you watch the animation, it will show something with Jackie getting hit in the face or some other animation that indicates the ball is NOT going to go into the toybox.

#2854 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

OK so I need some help. Some how my grand plan about the Ghostbusters Prem being a big hit with the family has been a flop. I LOVE the game but it's too hard for the rest of the family. I'm completely addicted to the "one more game" challenge of GB, but I'm more addicted to my family having fun together and GB has failed me there. My question is, and anyone who owns both and could weigh in would be greatly appreciated, will this game be fun for the family and satisfy my constant 10-12 games a night? My kids really like RS and Tommy. p.s. I love 1974-1979 Aerosmith.

I own both - Aerosmith will be much better for your family. It's been a huge hit for everyone that's played ours - it's just very fun.

#2855 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There will be a honeymoon period as with any new pin, but it's basically "shoot this arrow, because" with variations on that per song, but they're all similar. The mini-playfield is the most worthless one I can think of in modern Stern history. Super dumb to bounce the ball 2 inches to get the targets up there lit.
That said, I think it will do pretty well on route, because it's very pick up and play, but at home I can see it getting old pretty fast. It's essentially a slightly worse-shooting KISS.

Completely wrong - Vic has a vendetta against Aerosmith as he's obviously upset about Kiss. Don't pay any attention to his posts as all he's doing is constantly posting negatively about it. If you don't think it's true, just look at his post history.

The mini-playfield is great - not going to repeat myself here but made a whole topic comparing it to others. It's suppose to be easy to get the targets by necessity of how it works into the rules. Once the targets are complete you need to get the outer loop shot which isn't easy from the upper flipper - but you can then get the loop with a ramp shot. Vic doesn't get it because he's too biased against the game.

#2856 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Quoted from vireland:
Personally, in that situation I would mod the Ghostbusters to be less punishing so your family enjoys it. You're going to be bored with AS before too long.
this is discouraging.

Don't be discouraged - see post above - Aerosmith is awesome and most of what Vic says is incorrect due to sour grapes on Kiss.

#2858 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

C> KISS LE is still in my house and still gets played all the time, and having now played a TON of AS, I can say KISS is a better-playing game than AS. Where's the beef I have with KISS you're talking about?

The beef you have seems to be that you don't want Aerosmith to be liked more than Kiss. You chose to spend your hard earned money on a Kiss LE, and now that Aerosmith is the next music pin with a similar layout you just keep doggin' on AS. It's very evident in your posting history, as you keep repeating yourself. You're comments are obviously biased as you are harping on negatives that aren't really there, honestly.

I'm a long time pinball player myself and have a pretty good history of picking solid games - here are the Stern games I bought NIB because IMO they were excellent - NOTE that every game I bought early in it's life cycle - I didn't wait for others opinions, I played them and decided it was a good game early, and without following the crowd:

- TSPP
- LOTR
- AC/DC
- Tron
- Metallica - and I don't like the band
- IMVE - I didn't pick IM originally - this is the only one that had to grow on me
- TWDLE
- ST
- GOT
- GBLE - a great game, but does need some mods for excessive draining
- ASLE

The only other game I would have bought NIB, but it wasn't a good time is SM. These have been my picks of good games that I spent my money on. I think the list speaks for itself, and ASLE, Tron and Metallica are the ones that stood out the best from the start.

It's great you like KISS, and I don't want to bag on it - but I guarantee most people are going to like AS more. The majority of pinsiders were anti-Aerosmith based on theme alone before the game was ever revealed. Now many are seeing it's a great game, even though they hate the band/theme.

#2860 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

B> Hitting the outer loop shot on the ridiculous AS upper playfield once you have the targets lit is dead simple. I have no idea why you'd say it's not easy.

Because the shot itself must be hit from the very tip of the flipper. Most good/great players miss it more than they make it.

The mini-playfield difficulty is perfectly balanced for it's reward. You are missing that the best time to get the 2x Playfield multiplier is during multiball!!! Which means you want to complete the mini-playfield during multi-ball - IE. while you are keeping the other balls in play. This is a key ingredient missing from many other mini-playfield implementations - and what makes it extra fun. It's not so easy to complete while you are playing both playfields at the same time. The game is designed so that you SHOULD go for the 2x playfield a lot to get the best scoring - it's meant to be easy - just like the bell on AC/DC. You wouldn't argue that the AC/DC bell is too easy, therefore no fun, would you?

It's all about the balance of difficulty, risk and reward which then results in making a game fun and exciting. Just like holding out for a 4, 5, or 6 ball Toybox multiball - it's extra exciting to know that you skipped starting a 3 ball multiball (taking a risk), and your on your last ball so you could lose it and get nothing (never even start it), or you do start it and get the bigger jackpots for the win. These extra risk/rewards in Aerosmith make it extra fun, as many are discovering.

#2903 6 years ago
Quoted from pinrock:

From what I've heard throughout this thread I am wondering if Aerosmith is a lot like Iron Man and Tron where it is not real real deep, but it is a fun to play with great looking bling?
I am thinking about buying one, and I am just trying to categorize in my mind to set my expectations.
What do y'all think?

Aerosmith would be closer to Tron than IM as far as code depth. It's not extra deep like TSPP, LOTR or TWD, but it's plenty deep.

There are 2 wizard modes:
Medley Multiball : mini-wizard mode - complete all modes to get to
Final Tour : wizard mode - *finish* all modes to get to

The 7 song modes work like Star Treks "Away Team": Once you've made at least one mode shot, "Crank It Up" is lit at the scoop. Shooting crank it up adds 20 seconds and enhances (more points / shots) the mode. It's best to get Crank It Up as quickly as possible in each mode.

Every song mode has an associated Super Mode. If you progress far enough in a song mode you start the Super Mode. As you make shots in the song modes, you get "Coins", which are cashed in when you start the Super Mode to boost your Super Mode point values.

Here are the normal modes + their corresponding Super Modes.

- Walk This Way -------------- Super Ramps
- Sweet Emotion --------------- Super Scoring
- Same Old Song and Dance -- Super Targets
- Back in the Saddle ----------- Super Pops
- Rats in the Cellar ------------ Super Spinner
- Last Child -------------------- Super Orbits
- Dude Look Like a Lady ------- Super Lanes

The super modes are well worth it, and a good time to use your multipliers (possibly stack with a MB)

Here is the multiplier stacking...
- Shot Multipliers possible on every shot (2x) - spell Aerosmith to light
- Playfield multiplier (2x) (Premium/LE only) - complete upper playfield -> always available
- ToyBox multiball playfield multiplier (2x -> 3x) -> lock balls in the ToyBox during TB Multiball

Since these are stackable, you can get 12x multipliers during TB multiball: 2 *2 * 3 = 12, and 4x multipliers outside of TB multiball

There's also something if you progress far enough into Love In An Elevator multiball, (maybe just super jackpots?) but I haven't gotten there yet.

1 week later
#3022 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What are the uses of the button on the lockdown bar button beyond delaying multiball?

There are "Smart Bombs" that you can use to get any major lit shot - but they are only handed out as mystery awards currently, and not very often. They definitely should make someway to acquire the Smart Bombs. Possibly making the "Lock" skill shot would be a good way to award "Smart Bombs".

#3091 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's a awesome that you're blown away by it, but that's not a universal opinion.

Actually, it IS much more of a universal opinion that Aerosmith is super fun. You're definitely in the minority Vic

#3147 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

So is "Sweet Emotion" similar to "Kill the Witch King" on LOTR?
Meaning when the SE mode is next you're like "bummer, I never finish that shit & I'm out of other modes to play"

Not at all - the song is great fun to play to AND the mode gives you 4 shots lit to start, and when you finish those 4 all shots light. So it's pretty tough to finish, but there is a good opportunity for points. On Witch King only 1 or 2 shots are lit at a time.

#3155 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

But if you don't kill the witch king you can still progress through the game and to wizard modes.
If you don't complete a song mode like sweet emotion, you have to keep playing it over and over until you complete it and there's no memory progression. No?

You only need to complete the modes to reach Final Tour - you can get to Medley Multiball by just starting all modes.

#3156 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yes. But you still can't progress to the final wizard mode unless you complete it right? So you can theoretically keep playing it over and over if you've beaten all the other song modes? Same goes for all the modes. Only have to play them to get to medley wizard mode, but must complete them to get to the final wizard mode?

Yes - and that's a good thing. You've gotta keep the final wizard mode a challenge!
Sweet Emotion isn't that hard to beat - I've beaten it many times. All it takes is a CIU and an Add More Time to make it very achievable.

#3180 6 years ago

Gotta fix the AC/DC vs Aerosmith comparison...

Theme: Aerosmith - (subjective - should probably just call it a tie)
Playfield Art: Aerosmith
Cabinet Art: Aerosmith
Translite: Aerosmith
Layout/Flow: Aerosmith - seriously AC/DC only loops in one direction
Music: Aerosmith - AS songs are much more varied in style (and chords LOL) = each song feels different on AS
Rules/Code: AC/DC, but AS is pretty close with selectable multiball, CIUs, Super Modes and an extra wizard mode
Fun: Aerosmith
Toys: Tie
Display: Aerosmith
Lighting: Aerosmith

AC/DC is great - but it does not win against Aerosmith - it will take a while for people to figure this out, but eventually they will

#3234 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Im curious what makes you think AS code is go "great"? Its not bad for lonnie thats for sure but Oustide the Toy box MB rules nothing is original at all. In fact if it weren't for the toy box rules the game would actually be quite boring.

The game isn't boring at all - it's the exact opposite. There is absolutely nothing wrong or boring with re-using proven/good rules in a slightly modified way in pinball. Many times the "new" rules don't work as well as the tried and true rehashed rules. AS has combined many different proven rules together into one awesome game.

Additionally, most games do not have "original" rules anyway - there's only so much to do on a pinball playfield. Sure, you can code up a complicated set of rules that a small number of people will think is awesome - but leaves most people scratching their heads as to what exactly is going on (especially on location for people just stepping up to a game). IMO the really complex rules start to feel more like video game rules, and makes the game less fun than simple, straight forward rules. Example: GoT vs TWD - all the houses on GoT is more like a video game, and most people don't know what to do for quite a while on it, where TWD has straight forward objectives and modes.

#3235 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

What I really hate about all this is folks who like that certain type of game, Deep or Shallow, Flow or Stop and go, mode or Journey pin, etc, make harsh judgments and statements about the games they dont like on Pinside or elsewhere and it annoys the folks who like and own that game. The thing is though, a lot of time it is not the game itself they dont like, but the game does not fall into the style of pin they enjoy playing.

Very true - a game doesn't have to be all "flow" with extra complex rules to be a top game

2 weeks later
#3474 6 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

Anyone got some pics of AS powder coated?
I think Purple would look great

Look at pics of the LE - it has purple powder coated armor.

3 weeks later
#3600 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

.the semi soft plunge to the lock hole...I thought that was supposed to lock a ball for you from what I thought I read in the past but mine doesn't seem to do it.

You have to light the lock first. *If* the lock is already lit, you can do the the soft plunge to lock the ball. Therefore, the lock will never be lit on the first plunge of your first ball - although the shot may be lit for the particular song/mode you choose. For example, if you select "Sweet Emotion" the lock/softPlunge shot will be lit with a red arrow. It's especially sweet when the shot is lit for both a lock and the mode and you can soft plunge to get both.

Here's a cool/fun scenario:
- hit the toybox 6 times to qualify ALL 6 lock shots (flashing green numbers indicate qualified locks)
- for the fun of it (not sure on how many points this will get you)
----- spell AEROSMITH to pick a shot multiplier -> and shoot the lock shot -> all shots to the lock scoop are doubled
- soft plunge the next 5 balls (before the auto-plunge) -> to start 6 ball multi-ball

#3601 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

Tried this a bunch of times but I really can't shake the feeling that it's just Kiss, reimagined and simplified. Nothing new here. And I even sort of like Kiss (latest updates helped).

AS has a similar playfield layout, but plays nothing like KISS. AS will be considered a top Stern pin, and there is a lot "new" on AS:

- Excellent LCD Screen integration
- Best Art Package on a Stern pin - ever (playfield, cabinet and backglass are all excellent)
- Best (most fun) Ball Lock on a Stern
- Best MB start on a Stern - Toys in the Attic MB with shaking Toy Box and roaming spot light
- Best through the pops shot on a Stern/Borg pin
- Best combo of mini-playfield + rules on a Stern - the 2X risk reward is awesome
- Excellent "Best Of" rules, with fun strategy and exciting risk/reward
- Great variety of songs (unless you hate all Aerosmith - LOL too bad for you)
- Most "just plain fun" Stern game ever - IMO

*AND* let's not forget -> most HATED ON Stern pin before anyone ever even saw the game!

It's too bad you can't shake the bias that has been predominant against AS, because you're missing out - big time.
I have most of the top Sterns, and AS is the most liked/played among a large variety of players.

1 month later
#3724 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I was gonna buy a metallica and now I can't get it from where I was gonna buy one from (ugh). So they offered me an Aerosmith for that same price. What do I doooooo?

AS is just as good as Met IMO - In fact, I would say it's even more fun and is even better as a complete package.

Here's some actual comparisons...

Met is slightly wood choppy to get things going - AS is not.
Met doesn't have any normal modes - AS has a bunch of great normal modes.
Met has a lot of cool wizard modes - AS has 2

If wizard modes are your highest priority -> get Met
Otherwise get AS

IMO AS will last longer than Met -> specifically because of the "slightly wood choppy" nature of Met

#3726 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I hate to ask, but who's the usual suspects? Cointaker was who I was gonna go through and they were gonna give it for a great price. Who else should I check with?

Check with Trent, http://www.tiltamusements.com/

#3734 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I guess it depends on what your goals are. If you want a "pick up and play" game or if you want a very deep, challenging game that will last a long time at home before you see the end, if ever. I didn't have Aerosmith long, but I was already to Medley mode. One more mode and the games finished. That's WAY too fast, and I would lose interest as I do once I've completed a pin. I've never completed all of Metallica, and so I keep coming back. That's why I'd recommend Met in a home over Aerosmith for a competent player.

IMO "Completing" a pinball and then being done with it is a "Video Game" mentality. That's not how I think of pinball, and IMO it takes the fun out of a game. I like to have wizard modes that I see infrequently - but I enjoy getting to them on that infrequent basis. It's not like seeing the end of a movie.

BTW - Medley mode is ONLY a mini-wizard mode, that you SHOULD get to every once in a while. Like Crank it Up on Met or Royal Madness on MM. There's nothing wrong with that. Final Tour is the Wizard Mode and it's quite difficult to get to - almost no one has seen it with the glass on!

Some more FYI's for you regarding lack of depth...
- AC/DC only has 1 Wizard mode - so I guess you really don't like that game
- MM, AFM and The Shadow, and almost ALL B/W 90's games only have 1 Wizard mode - all fails I guess
- Tron has 2 that are connected - SOS and Portal - no more than AS
- Many more people have seen the final mode on "Dialed In", than on AS -> should they all get rid of DI now?

The list goes on and on and on... There are a small number of A games with really deep rules -> That's NOT the most important thing in making a game fun!!! It's nice to have a couple deep things to go for, and that's exactly what AS has!

The majority of competent players I know don't have this "Video Game" mentality regarding pinball. I find it more prevalent among the "B/C" players, that want to explore a game and once they've seen it move on.

#3737 6 years ago

Unfortunately, most people don't have access to a constant stream of new pins.

It's good to know your take on what you like when considering your recommendations. I respect your opinion of what you like (for you), but just feel very differently. It's revealing to know that you only keep a game you can't finish - and once you finish it you get rid of it. Others that feel that same way should follow your advice, as it would probably suit them. It's exactly the "Video Game" mentality I mentioned - but if that's what you enjoy, then here are my top recommendations: TSPP, LOTR, WOZ, Hobbit, TWD, MET.

2 months later
#4043 6 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

That's great news!
If I buy a Pro, I can add "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" and think about Armageddon and the asteroid splitting up during 6 ball multi-ball.
Or not. (Still can't believe my wife picked that song for our first dance back in 2000.)

FYI - you can't just add songs, you have to replace songs with songs that have the same exact length. You can use songs that are longer, but they will be cut off at the length of the song being replaced. If you have a shorter song, there will be a blank/silence in the gap.

#4055 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I don't recommend putting two songs in one slot even though it can be done.

That's what I did (2 songs in 1 slot) - and IMO it's great. I have a 'hidden' song that you only get to hear if you play well enough. I've not had the issue of the rewind being noticeable at all - it doesn't cross the song boundary 90% of the time.

I've actually fit in over 20 songs in Metallica, because they are so long. I prefer to keep the songs as is in Aerosmith because they're much more integrated into the game with the integration of the LCD display. In Metallica, it's more just music playing.

2 weeks later
#4085 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

What do you guys think of a pro for 4k? It's been on route since purchased but I bet half the games are mine. It's pretty basic, no mods or shaker, but it does have pin blades just not the good ones. It needs a cleaning and some new rubber but everything else is seems good. The magnet in front of the toy box is marked but I can't tell if it just needs a cleaning or something else.

That sounds like a great deal - that's over $1000 less than new.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Electronics
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.75
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
$ 10.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-aerosmith-pinball?tu=T7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.