You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Interest in Aerosmith pinball machine”

• Yes- I would be interested if it plays well 193 votes
    19%
  • Yes-I would be interested if it has hand drawn art and plays well 106 votes
    10%
  • No-I do not care for Aerosmith, regardless of how it looks or plays 492 votes
    49%
  • Mabye-Not a huge fan of Aerosmith but if it plays good and looks good-mabye 221 votes
    22%

(1012 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Marshall (resized).jpg
d112c526ae84fbb4157faf6e388f5475--james-hetfield-pinball (resized).jpg
HOMER-THANOS (resized).jpg
AS-Grill2 (resized).jpg
marshall (resized).jpg
aero (resized).JPG
9435340A-B7F7-475B-A643-A171B165CB2B (resized).jpeg
FyYli72 (resized).jpg
F8EB5979-E9A5-46A9-A824-115180171946 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6660 (resized).PNG
Harry and the Hendersons (resized).png
IMG_1673 (resized).JPG
code is coming (resized).jpg
20170817_212543 (resized).jpg
IMG_5940 (resized).JPG
AS-tunnel-004 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #733 First official pictures, press release and feature matrix from Stern. Posted by Gexchange (7 years ago)

Post #762 Link to Stern "Gameplay Video Sneak Peek" on Facebook. Posted by Apollyon (7 years ago)

Post #784 Approximate Street Prices to expect for Aerosmith Pinball Posted by PinB (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#299 7 years ago
Quoted from LadySlingshot:

This might sound crazy, but I'd love to see Stern or someone make a musical pin based on a hit broadway show. Imagine a new Phantom pin with Lloyd Weber music or Hamilton. Bring Down the Chandelier multiball...Would be amazing.

The musicals I think would make great games are Little Shop of Horrors (the AudreyII toys basically create themselves), Rocky Horror Picture Show, or Nightmare Before Christmas.

4 months later
#605 7 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I got some info on the toys and features of this game today. I'm 100% in on it. Can not wait to add this next to Metallica and KISS!

So code, QC, prices, gameplay mean nothing to you? I get being interested but 100% in?

This is why shit is the way it is ...

2 months later
#755 7 years ago

First impression, looks really good! Definitely a Borg mash-up, but most are.

-Jacky is Sparky 2, and I think that's good. I like continuing the Metallica concept of new characters influenced by the band. This makes it feel original even though licensed.

-Art is killer.

-Upper playfield looks good in that the divertor allows the shot to still be a flowing ramp and not a lame ramp blocker like TFLE or GOTLE

-Love that he brought back the NBA flying ball trick. A great feature that no one saw since NBA didn't sell.

-Pro looks solid, per usual for Borg. Basically looks like the same game, minus the upper playfield.

Not an Aerosmith fan, not buying NIB anymore...but looks like a game I'd want to play for sure! I'd perhaps consider it in the future depending on gameplay impressions and if code is finished.

#761 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Uh-oh...and the upset special...
Sparky 2 dumps 6 balls at once like the IJ ark. Cause we all loved IJ so much!
I kid I kid! Well I don't. But I Kid!
It's Aero-IJ-Kiss-Woz!

Location players love that shit ! IJ is the highest grossing game at my local barcade.

#865 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OK.
Do YOU love that shit?

I don't like Stern IJ at all...but I think cool physical Multiball locks and releases are cool. I like when a cool feature from a shit game makes it into a (potentially) good game.

#868 7 years ago
Quoted from Squall:

Guys! Animations on Aero are so lame! Like made in Paint! - Now look at Hobbit - look at Aero and then again on Hobbit! C'mon!
I have Kiss, MOPLE, ACDC BIBLE and others - but is enough for me!

Hobbit had movie footage to work from. Aerosmith had nothing. It was either this or live action band footage. Even though the animation is like 1998 Internet Flash, the art style is completely cohesive with the rest of the game...I'd rather see good character 2D art with bad animation than bad 3D character art/animation (Lexi Lightspeed, Dialed In). I think for their first game with original 2D color content, it looks really good. Good enough for a pinball display, IMO.

#875 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I don't know why, but it upsets me a little that the
-middle ramp sound effects is the same as kiss
-super ramp sound affect is the same as kiss
- bonus counter sound effects are the same as kiss just at a different pitch

Maybe that's their "stock music game sound FX" now. Stern's been recycling sound FX since the DE days....remember the "mode is ending telephone ring" sound effect that's in pretty much every DE game?

#884 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Couldn't agree more Greg.
But our opinions will likely be dismissed as being nothing more than Stern "fanboys" giving Stern a pass (even though we both own and love our Hobbitses).

Hahah...look, I give props where props are due. The overall package for this game is awesome...and I'm saying that as someone who's on Stern's shitlist for my GB criticisms, a non-Aero fan and someone who won't buy NIB games anymore. I don't see one thing to complain about, seriously. It looks extremely appealing with a nice layout and toys that look cool.

#911 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Borg did give the Pro buyer a lot of love again. God bless that guy.

Totally...all the legit good stuff is on the Pro, including some color changing inserts.

I'm trying to figure out if I'd like the upper playfield or not.
-I like that the left ramp shot is still a legit ramp shot....and it looks like the divertor would allow you to do some loops up there in certain instances.
-I like that the elevator is actually an elevator on the Prem/LE. The elevator shot takes the ball up, and I like the little doors on it.
-Not sure I like the actual shots from the flipper once you're up there though...they're all backhand shots, which seems kinda odd for an upper playfield...guess it depends on the mode/code context - could be fun, who knows.

At the end of the day, it's a vast improvement from the GOT upper playfield...that thing literally makes no sense on any level.

#914 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Dont look like any multiple color gi anymore which sucks especially for as much as the premiums are now and really not worth the upgrade on this pin imo.

The LE pics definitely have multiple colored GI. Not sure if it's just the bulbs to look cool, or if they're actually going to be coded to have different effects.

#918 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its not in the feature matrix ....

Stern has been known to make mistakes in there. We'll see, I guess!

#926 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Spooky's Dominos pin is $5299 delivered.

...but then you own & have to play a Spooky Dominos pin.

#940 7 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

I got a pro on order with my distributor as soon as the CES pic surfaced. Glad the pics for the pro came out positive. Beautiful machine.

Since you like the Pro, and a Pro is unlimited - what's the point of pre-ordering? Why not wait for some more videos to see how the gameplay is, or play one first?

#946 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Not very keen on the cabinet art. But the playfield art works superbly, I think.
Thing is, as I'm sure must have been pointed out already, this seems like a very minor variation on the Metallica and KISS layouts, in yet another music theme ... how many more customers are there for this?
Depending on code and how it shoots, I'd probably take one over KISS or Metallica, if forced to choose between the 3, but who with a Metallica or KISS, or with serious play time on them, is going to buy one? Not many I'd have thought.

All pinball is pretty similar. You can't assume they're targeting people who already have one or two specific games. I can already tell this game will be different from those two in multiple ways. Rules might be kinda like Kiss, though...but neither of those games has a ball flinging through the air into a physical lock box...which then gets dumped out later. The combination of the NBA fling trick with the IJ ark trick is going to be a great feature that will definitely differentiate the game from Met and Kiss.

#957 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I would agree too. I own a WOZ and the TOTO ball save to fine, but the left state fair balloon game... not fun. I have not completed it yet, too hard for me. It seems to just take too long. A ball save mini game should be super quick. It's the only feature I don't like in WOZ, other than that I like the layout overall. I do get a ton of cheap drains on the left side, which makes it more frustrating when I play, but I have it set to 5 ball so that helps.

I actually completed the "No Place Like Home" Ball Save...took me like 5 minutes - and then right after I did it, I drained the ball within 10 seconds lol

#958 7 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I love how people call it the NBA trick and not the Space Jam trick.

Space Jam didn't fling it like that...on Space Jam, the magnet just catches the ball as it flies off the ramp. It didn't have a saucer that launched it from the playfield. That was new for NBA.

#960 7 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

It's the Indiana jones ark again.

Sorta. The ark is pre-loaded when you start the game, and just dumps them out after you hit it a bunch of times. On this game, the balls are flung into the box from the lock saucer. Much cooler. Borg took two cool ideas from two lesser games and turned it into one cooler feature.

#965 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

As far as variations go. They look minor to me.

Borg's been rehashing ideas for a while now...but when it works, it works. This game is a mashup of a bunch of his previous games. It doesn't matter. Pretty much no one buying new pinball machines cares if a game is sorta-kinda like another if it's appealing on its own merits. Look how far "Tron is Funhouse" criticisms went....nowhere, cuz Tron is awesome on its own merits. A billion games have two-ramp-flow layouts. Metallica is a lot like Monster Bash in some ways...but they both feel like totally different experiences. At the end of the day, it comes down to whether the layout & rules work together to make a fun game.

Quoted from rubberducks:

A standard DI / WOZ / Hobbit is going to offer far more than an LE, for $1k less ...
I think a bust's coming sooner than many would like to contemplate.

Stern's LE pricing has been whack for years now...but hey, people will pay it so why wouldn't they. What I like about this reveal today is that they're showing a Pro model that you can get for about $5k, that looks to offer a solid pinball experience with great art and cool features. None of the other guys can touch that. I get the feeling Aerosmith LE will sit for a while...they won't sell out 500 right away, as the enthusiasts who would pay that much are gonna hold off and make sure QC and code are up to par. I think Pros will sell pretty well on this one, as the value of what you get compared to other options & other companies is solid.

#985 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No shit. This is what I've been saying in all the price whine threads. You want to spend $8000-12000 for a JJP game? You want to spend $7000 on a spooky game, or $8000 for a Lebowski?
Good luck with all of that. Stern is selling REAL pinball machines designed by the best in the biz - not amateurs - for $5000 or so just like they have been, but people want to somehow claim it's a slap in the face or there are "better options."
Not on new pins there aren't.

You miss the point of that "whining" ...if a company is GOING to charge higher end prices, customers expect higher end shit in the box. $15k for a Batman Super LE is dopey as fuck when you can own a Hobbit & a WOZ for that amount of money. When Stern games are priced similarly to JJP or Lebowski...or HIGHER - you're not getting the same value. But yes, in the lower price zone, no one else can offer the value you get with a Stern Pro.

#996 7 years ago
Quoted from J-drum11:

I've seen people mention possible othe bands for a theme. How about a"RUSH" theme?

I've been begging for years. Stern doesn't seem to wanna do it. Lyman loves Rush, so here's hoping!

#1020 7 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I think Van Halen will happen before Rush. Maybe a boutique Rush pin would work, it's more of a niche audience.

A niche that would buy all 500 LE's within an hour of reveal. More passion = more $$$. Aerosmith may be "bigger" and more "mainstream"...but I really don't think they have a passionate fanbase like Rush.

#1021 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmicjim:

I'm not sure what his response would be, but I do know he has a location with over a dozen pins and he has local competition. The sooner he gets it in there, the better that pin will do to recover cost.

Oh yeah...forgot there are operators here.

#1043 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

So if Dirty Donnie did this artwork, Zombie Yeti did GB, what is Feres working on?

Isn't he the art director at Stern? I think he has input on everything, even games he doesn't do the art package for.

#1060 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Has anyone else noticed how offset the flipper arrangement is to the right of center. It took me a year of playing my X-MEN LE before I noticed the offset flipper arrangement.

Very common...plenty of B/W games like that too. Centering with the apron doesn't mean anything for good playfield geometry.

#1213 7 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

Didn't see one shot ip the right ramp in either of those videos. Looks like a tough 'steep' shot. So the saucer doesnt always feed the toy box- seems in the pro it just kinda dribbles out.

It depends if lock is lit. If lock is lit, it goes in the box... if not, it dribbles back into play.

#1245 7 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

What kills me the most? The total lack of innovation by Stern.. there is nothing there that we haven't seen before many times over. Sure they are selling pins, but it would be nice to see some engineering and advancement in the hobby... you know, custom things that make you want to buy the machine because it's got a cool toy. To me, they could have just re-used the Austin Powers toilet and shot the ball into that for "Back in the saddle" multiball. I don't consider a color LCD to be anything special, even if Stern wants me to think it is. JJP came out with that in 2013.

You know what innovation gets you? Jpop, P3, Heighway...AKA a game that never or barely makes it to market. You know what John Borg at Stern "not" innovating gets you? Iron Man, Metallica, Tron. I know which one I'd rather have.

#1248 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'm laughing my ass off, this is the cold hard truth! I wonder if Cobray, or anyone who doesnt like newer sterns, would trade their stern pins or any of their pins, for (1) jpop pin of their choice, (1) P3, and (1) heighway pin...go ahead boys seems like a fair trade to me

People also have to remember at the end of the day, Stern needs to keep the line moving. They have to manufacture and have new product to sell. Borg is generally a very "practical" designer, and I respect that. He tends to get tighter deadlines than some other designers, and he does what he can in the time he's allotted...so, when he doesn't have the time to come up with some brilliant new mech - he digs into his bag of tricks and comes up with something that'll still be cool and fun. It's not Borg's JOB to impress some hardcore hobbyists with innovation. It's his JOB to make a fun game that can be built by "X Date". He accomplishes that. Does Metallica have any "innovation"? No, but it's a solid, fast, fun, awesome machine and is headed toward being an all time best seller for Stern.

#1255 7 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

This assumes that Sterns lack of innovation makes the game better... imagine IM, MET, and Tron with some cool, innovative toys. It would add to the machine, not take away from it. No doubt I love those games though.

Not saying it wouldn't make them better...I'm just saying it allows Stern to get games out the door when they need to get a game out the door.

#1277 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

So a question I asked before this thread got sidetracked.
Can anyone who played the game verify if they used original sound recordings, or did they use newer ones for some dumb reason like on KISS?

Are there newer ones? Is that a thing with Aerosmith?

#1280 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

I know with kiss they used new recordings off an anniversary album to avoid paying royalties to old band members.

That's why KISS made those new recordings...THEY didn't wanna pay the old members. So, that seems more like Kiss's deal than Stern's. Aerosmith is still all together, right? I don't think they've done re-recordings.

1 week later
#1317 7 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

It's hard to think of good acronyms for one-named games. After watching the Aerosmith Pro livestream just now, I suggest JBGH: John Borg's Greatest Hits.

Aero works. If we can do TSPP, TOTAN, LOTR...Aero is short enough to work and you know what it is when you see it.

#1389 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Or worse, the Wheel of Fortune treatment.
It will be interesting to see how the market at large reacts. Seems like a lot are sitting this one out for a lot of different, and valid, reasons.

Yeah, at the end of the day, Aerosmith is like Stones...a HUGE band with an impressive musical history...but perhaps on the type of fanbase who really wants to buy something like a pinball machine. ACDC and Metallica have that type of passionate fanbase who definitely would want a pinball machine of their favorite band. That's why I still contend that Rush would be a huge hit. You can argue that they're niche...but their fans are BEYOND passionate. 500 Rush LEs would sell out instantly.

Theme aside, pinball hardcore types are likely sitting on their wallets due to QC/code issues...we're probably moving closer to more people having a "PLAY IT FIRST" stance.

#1391 7 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

Don't tease with the talk of a Rush pin. I would sell someone else's kidney for a Rush pin. Any organ donors out there ?

See? ...and the Canadians would stop complaining about prices if it was Rush!

#1396 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I absolutely *love* Rush and it would basically be a blind buy for me, but even I have doubts about how well a Rush pin would sell.

Long term - sure...but could they move 500 LE's in one day? Absolutely. Any hardcore Rush fans who missed out would buy Prems or Pros. Then - if the game was good and had Lyman on code...it COULD become a long term seller like Metallica and ACDC. Lyman is a HUUUGE Rush fan, so you know he'd go to town.

#1398 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I think it would be hot upfront, but what pinball place in Canada wouldn't have one on location? Plenty of bars in the US too, I'd wager. Private sales would be interesting to see.

Paul Rudd and Jason Segel would buy one...that's 2 LE's sold already!

#1407 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well I always hear about how limited Rush's appeal is, and that chicks hate them, but I am certainly not going to argue strongly against the idea that Rush would sell well given that they are one of my all time favorite bands.

I just watched the new-ish Rush documentary...and there were plenty of female fans. The founder of "Rush Con" is a woman. When you look at the crowds, though...it's definitely more dudes...maybe a 7 ratio. I have to imagine it's not too different at a Metallica concert.

#1408 7 years ago

x-men-apocalypse-quicksilver-evan-peters (resized).jpgx-men-apocalypse-quicksilver-evan-peters (resized).jpg

2 months later
#2353 7 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I would add white water to this in fact probably the best of the bunch imho

...and Black Knight 2000!

#2357 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I find it funny that people bring this up on music pins at all.
On regular games you get to hear the exact same music over and over with no choice at all. But for some reason that is just fine.

Yup. Most games have the same 15-20 second loops. Music themes games have more variety of music than any game out there.

#2368 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Seems like all the usual new game hype .
Has anyone seen immediate hype for a Stern game like this in the past 10 years?

Since our expectations are so low now from GB's design and QC issues & Batman's insane price and zero code... Aerosmith is getting more props than it probably normally would have. Aero is a pretty run of the mill game - the fact that it doesn't have any drama attached to it is making it look better than it actually is. The Pro price is right, the Color LCD looks cool, you can open the box & have a good time. What's to complain about on this one compared to last year!?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

Electronics
Space Coast Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.75
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-aerosmith-pinball?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.