You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Interest in Aerosmith pinball machine”

• Yes- I would be interested if it plays well 193 votes
    19%
  • Yes-I would be interested if it has hand drawn art and plays well 106 votes
    10%
  • No-I do not care for Aerosmith, regardless of how it looks or plays 492 votes
    49%
  • Mabye-Not a huge fan of Aerosmith but if it plays good and looks good-mabye 221 votes
    22%

(1012 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Marshall (resized).jpg
d112c526ae84fbb4157faf6e388f5475--james-hetfield-pinball (resized).jpg
HOMER-THANOS (resized).jpg
AS-Grill2 (resized).jpg
marshall (resized).jpg
aero (resized).JPG
9435340A-B7F7-475B-A643-A171B165CB2B (resized).jpeg
FyYli72 (resized).jpg
F8EB5979-E9A5-46A9-A824-115180171946 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6660 (resized).PNG
Harry and the Hendersons (resized).png
IMG_1673 (resized).JPG
code is coming (resized).jpg
20170817_212543 (resized).jpg
IMG_5940 (resized).JPG
AS-tunnel-004 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,176 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 84.
#3201 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I have owned about a half dozen different acdc machines ranging from the pro and the premium and have given that game several chances and it is just not as good as Aerosmith like I said before all Steve Ritchie did for acdc is really hack his t2 layout and it has some ok toys other then the bell, but we will all have our own opinions after all it's only pinball

I know you are not complaining about ACDC being a hack layout rerun and then bragging on AS in the same sentence

#3202 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I know you are not complaining about ACDC being a hack layout rerun and the bragging on AS in the same sentence

Yes I am I know the toy in a box is some of borgs other toys combined but they layout is unique and it shoots like nothing else and is just pure fun; like I said we are all entitled to our own options; I'm not a ghostbusters fan either so to each their own; I love games like Metallica, Aerosmith, Tron and Dialed IN because they shoot so good and smooth and are still challenging too

#3203 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Yes I am I know the toy in a box is some of borgs other toys combined but they layout is unique and it shoots like nothing else and is just pure fun; like I said we are all entitled to our own options; I'm not a ghostbusters fan either so to each their own; I love games like Metallica, Aerosmith, Tron and Dialed IN because they shoot so good and smooth and are still challenging too

I wouldn't call it unique. I would call it a very slightly modified KISS. In fact to me it feels like Borg and Lonnie just decided to make another run at that layout because they felt like they could do it better.

Nothing wrong with taking some of the best features of your toys and layouts along the way to try to make something better though. Seems to have worked on this one.

#3204 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I know you are not complaining about ACDC being a hack layout rerun and the bragging on AS in the same sentence

Omg I'm LMAO

#3205 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Playing a pro on route and trying to figure out if I want to get a pro but not sure how the game is supposed to play.
Does the spinner stop a lot of what seem like good orbit shots? I would say 4 out of 10 shots get stopped by the spinner.
A lot of times the elevator kicks the ball down the middle. (usually get a ball save)
On a slow plunge that falls down the right orbit, does it make it to the right flipper or does it hit the top of the sling?
The pops seem to stop a lot of shots to the left orbit but I wouldn't call them quality shots that the spinner is stopping.
Do you guys have you outposts up or down?
Would really like to see more champion scores for the modes or multi-balls like on GB.
Thanks.

Bump. Can anyone answer these? Thanks

#3206 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Playing a pro on route and trying to figure out if I want to get a pro but not sure how the game is supposed to play.
Does the spinner stop a lot of what seem like good orbit shots? I would say 4 out of 10 shots get stopped by the spinner.
A lot of times the elevator kicks the ball down the middle. (usually get a ball save)
On a slow plunge that falls down the right orbit, does it make it to the right flipper or does it hit the top of the sling?
The pops seem to stop a lot of shots to the left orbit but I wouldn't call them quality shots that the spinner is stopping.
Would really like to see more champion scores for the modes or multi-balls like on GB.
Thanks.

Can't comment on the spinner, but the aerosmiths (3 different ones) ive played...

- the elevator shoots fast back to the left flipper
- slow right orbit returns go to the right flipper, not sling.
- Borg through the pops orbit shots are a typical staple for him on a lot of games and they are not easy shots - even on non-borg games. The shot itself throws off the illusion of the angle, plus its typically tighter so they are usually tough shots. But no, havent had any real issues making that orbit shot on AS. I think one of the beat up location AS i played bricked once or twice so i hear what you're saying. Metallica has/had the same issue with its left orbit. I dont think its an issue though for AS.

#3207 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Bump. Can anyone answer these? Thanks

Can't comment definitively on the Elevator Kickout as I've got an Le, but the few pros I've played this has never happened.

My right spinner has never obstructed the orbit shot. That shot is super smooth.

The left orbit entrance through the pops has to be accurate or it will get caught in the pops. There's no margin for error like a regular orbit shot which could bounce off the ball guide but still make it through. You either nail it or you don't But if it is an accurate shot, it's smooth.

Can't comment on the soft plunge as I've never seen the need to do it. I guess it would avoid the pops. Might try it later on.

#3208 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Can't comment definitively on the Elevator Kickout as I've got an Le, but the few pros I've played this has never happened.
My right spinner has never obstructed the orbit shot. That shot is super smooth.
The left orbit entrance through the pops has to be accurate or it will get caught in the pops. There's no margin for error like a regular orbit shot which could bounce off the ball guide but still make it through. You either nail it or you don't But if it is an accurate shot, it's smooth.
Can't comment on the soft plunge as I've never seen the need to do it. I guess it would avoid the pops. Might try it later on.

Soft plunge is the result of missing the lock or the right switch.

You can activate one or the other with a good plunge.

Sounds like the AS I've been playing just isn't setup good.

#3209 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Thanks.

Just got done playing a PRO at the arcade. Here are my answers.

1. Spinner played fine for the most part, 1-2 got hung up
2. Elevator kicks to left flipper which I let dead bounce over to the right flipper every time with no issues or worries of SDTM
3. Soft plunge that comes back down to the PF hit the center of the right sling every time, even with me nudging and slapping the game. The sling fired it over towards the scoop almost every time.
4. Pops didn't really come into play during my 4-5 games
5. Outposts were up.

#3210 6 years ago

Short plunge on Aerosmith is the way to go. The hardest part is to train yourself to always do it after a ball lock, or a drain while ball save is still active. And yes, you want to plunge just hard enough to actuate the right orbit switch. One thing I've been doing is this: If I plunge a little too hard so the ball is going to roll back down into the lock shot when lock is not lit, I give a little nudge forward so the ball jumps the lock entrance and comes back down through the right orbit, giving you progress on your mode. Some great nuances to this game!

Another thing I've struggled with is how to handle the left scoop kick-out. Normally on a game like this I would do a drop catch, live catch, or dead bounce. None of those things has worked very well for me on Aerosmith. I've finally settled in on hitting it on the fly with the aim of hitting the right ramp. I probably make it only about 30-40% of the time.

#3211 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Another thing I've struggled with is how to handle the left scoop kick-out. Normally on a game like this I would do a drop catch, live catch, or dead bounce. None of those things has worked very well for me on Aerosmith. I've finally settled in on hitting it on the fly with the aim of hitting the right ramp. I probably make it only about 30-40% of the time.

I have a Premium and initially I was holding my flipper up to catch the ball and 95% of the time the ball bounced off the flipper and right down the left outlane with no chance to save. I have since put Titan rubbers on my flipper and now the ball bounces all the way back up to the AER targets next to the scoop. Problem solved

#3212 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I have a Premium and initially I was holding my flipper up to catch the ball and 95% of the time the ball bounced off the flipper and right down the left outlane with no chance to save. I have since put Titan rubbers on my flipper and now the ball bounces all the way back up to the AER targets next to the scoop. Problem solved

Sooooo your Pro that turned into a premium? How did that all work out?

#3213 6 years ago

AS, MET, ACDC are all great. Stern hasn't had a bad game in a long time, maybe over 10 years.

MET had pretty basic code when it first came out, and it took over a year to become the perfect game that it is today (it's my favorite DMD now). But I still play and enjoy my IM just as much as MET, so it bugs me when people complain about Lonnie Ropp's code. I'll admit that when I first got IM, I thought it ought to have "more", but that never crosses my mind now. If I get to finish Jericho once or twice a year, that's enough to keep the flame going for me. Borg+Ropp+Thiel is a winning team, and Donny's artwork really puts AS over the top. But I just can't bring myself to sell another Stern to buy AS. Yet. Sure do love that display though...

#3214 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

AS, MET, ACDC are all great. Stern hasn't had a bad game in a long time, maybe over 10 years.
MET had pretty basic code when it first came out, and it took over a year to become the perfect game that it is today (it's my favorite DMD now). But I still play and enjoy my IM just as much as MET, so it bugs me when people complain about Lonnie Ropp's code. I'll admit that when I first got IM, I thought it ought to have "more", but that never crosses my mind now. If I get to finish Jericho once or twice a year, that's enough to keep the flame going for me. Borg+Ropp+Thiel is a winning team, and Donny's artwork really puts AS over the top. But I just can't bring myself to sell IM to buy AS. Yet. Sure do love that display though...

Well this is getting confusing beacuse after owning AS I was thinking about selling IM to get MET.

#3215 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Well this is getting confusing beacuse after owning AS I was thinking about selling IM to get MET.

I have the perfect solution. Let's swap MET <> AS every 6-8 months.

#3216 6 years ago

Sooooo your Pro that turned into a premium? How did that all work out?

I still have it. Nothing happened. Distro just let it go.

#3217 6 years ago

All the talk about MET makes me want to play one . Don't like their music like AS, but have me curious as to the game itself. Damn, I never though I'd sell my old WMS collection for a stern , but Stern makes some nice stuff these days . Which is a good thing . Keep pinball alive !
Still loving AS, don't misunderstand, also this new stern stuff in the line up has been fun.

#3218 6 years ago

Anyone have the ball get hung up under the elevator on the cliffy protector? On a pro model . Like it's magnatized or something. But most likely not . Set up just below 6.5 degrees.. just sits there on the scoop hole protector, needing a bump .
JP

#3219 6 years ago
Quoted from joey__p__1966:

Anyone have the ball get hung up under the elevator on the cliffy protector? On a pro model . Like it's magnatized or something. But most likely not . Set up just below 6.5 degrees.. just sits there on the scoop hole protector, needing a bump .
JP

Seems like they all do it. Just needs a forward shove. But it does need fixing. Presents a "stuck ball during multiball" situation in competition.

#3220 6 years ago

JP

Yes, a bunch of times.

#3221 6 years ago

JP

Is there a cliffy on the elevator scoop on a pro? On the LE, there's nothing on the hole because it's under the upper pf, but it's definitely going to wear. I wonder if it's the same size hole? Can someone take a photo of the elevator hole on the Pro?

#3222 6 years ago

I think it's hilarious that nobody thinks Lonnie can code a good game. Well guess what, he just did with AS! The guy is like Rodney Dangerfield, he can't get no respect! He may not be Sterns best but he's proven with AS that he can do a good job and say what you want, but right now he's the big man on campus!!

#3223 6 years ago

What's Sterns code name for Aerosmith?

#3224 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think it's hilarious that nobody thinks Lonnie can code a good game. Well guess what, he just did with AS! The guy is like Rodney Dangerfield, he can't get no respect! He may not be Sterns best but he's proven with AS that he can do a good job and say what you want, but right now he's the big man on campus!!

Im curious what makes you think AS code is go "great"? Its not bad for lonnie thats for sure but Oustide the Toy box MB rules nothing is original at all. In fact if it weren't for the toy box rules the game would actually be quite boring.

#3225 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Im curious what makes you think AS code is go "great"? Its not bad for lonnie thats for sure but Oustide the Toy box MB rules nothing is original at all. In fact if it weren't for the toy box rules the game would actually be quite boring.

I diasagree totally sorry. I don't know what makes it so great, I guess it's great because it's just fun as hell to play for many reasons. It's just a good game. It's not the best game ever made or anything like that, but it's mega fun.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3226 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

#3227 6 years ago

Just my 2 cents: I really like deep games. TSPP, TZ, WoZ are among my favourites. But it is so refreshing to have Aerosmith to be so approachable without all the game knowledge.

Someone can just step up to the machine and figure out quickly what to do to have a fun game. But AS does have a lot of nuances going on that make the game also very good for the better player, like the postponing of the multiball and working the targets and stuff and using the CIU. It is just fun to play for everybody, also the not so good players that come over to play.

It reminds me a LOT of MM. One super cool toy and easy to get into the game but hard to get the most out of it. And we all now what happened with MM

#3228 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

3. Soft plunge that comes back down to the PF hit the center of the right sling every time, even with me nudging and slapping the game. The sling fired it over towards the scoop almost every time.

Just tested on my LE, and doesn't hit the top of the right sling - not even close.

#3229 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Just tested on my LE, and doesn't hit the top of the right sling - not even close.

Correct. The Pro feeds it differently. My Premuim feeds it right to the flipper.

#3230 6 years ago

Edit: oops, was quoting wrong post.

#3231 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Not sure what you mean by "into play". Pops are very active on right loop shot, missed left loop, and in the area under toy box (i.e. top of the pops). It's a nice touch that the top of the pops are exposed and provide some randomness to the main pf (not just within the pops).
Unless you mean, they are not coded with random awards like GB/got? In which case The pops are the supers for one of the songs. They also rotate the next shot for some songs.

Meaning I stayed out of the pops. I never do a full plunge to avoid the random exits out of the pops, always a short plunge. I've had plenty of SDTM and straight to the right outanes when balls exit the pops, so I avoid them as much as possible and only shoot the left orbit when I have to light the flashing insert.

#3232 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Correct. The Pro feeds it differently. My Premuim feeds it right to the flipper.

Just realized you were answering another post.

#3233 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Just my 2 cents: I really like deep games. TSPP, TZ, WoZ are among my favourites. But it is so refreshing to have Aerosmith to be so approachable without all the game knowledge.
Someone can just step up to the machine and figure out quickly what to do to have a fun game. But AS does have a lot of nuances going on that make the game also very good for the better player, like the postponing of the multiball and working the targets and stuff and using the CIU. It is just fun to play for everybody, also the not so good players that come over to play.
It reminds me a LOT of MM. One super cool toy and easy to get into the game but hard to get the most out of it. And we all now what happened with MM

Yup. You are on to something.

A lot of folks already have a fixed set of guidelines of what they like when they go play a pin and then make a quick judgement about it instead of looking at the pin for what it is. I like games that are not as deep, but I wouldnt say that TSPP, Woz or TZ are bad games because if it. They are all fun to play and I think I am lucky to have friends who own the games, so I can play them. Would I own them? Likely not, but I appreciate them as amazing players for sure. But who knows? I never thouhgt I would get LOTR and well here it is.

What I really hate about all this is folks who like that certain type of game, Deep or Shallow, Flow or Stop and go, mode or Journey pin, etc, make harsh judgments and statements about the games they dont like on Pinside or elsewhere and it annoys the folks who like and own that game. The thing is though, a lot of time it is not the game itself they dont like, but the game does not fall into the style of pin they enjoy playing.

It is like for cars, if you are a sports car lover and you walk around sahing Jeeps are turds and a Jeep lover says that your sports car cant do crap off road? Why bother bother comapring? Why bother making negative statements about this stuff if each are so different?

I think whoever judges pins based on what they are will enjoy playing pinball more. I step up to my LOTR and hit start and know that I will taken on a journey and when I play my IM it will be a short fist fight that I will probably lose. Comparing the two is silly. Playing the two is awesome!

I am glad you get what AS is and not just say that is not deep like WOZ so AS sucks. You get it!

#3234 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

The game isn't boring at all - it's the exact opposite. There is absolutely nothing wrong or boring with re-using proven/good rules in a slightly modified way in pinball. Many times the "new" rules don't work as well as the tried and true rehashed rules. AS has combined many different proven rules together into one awesome game.

Additionally, most games do not have "original" rules anyway - there's only so much to do on a pinball playfield. Sure, you can code up a complicated set of rules that a small number of people will think is awesome - but leaves most people scratching their heads as to what exactly is going on (especially on location for people just stepping up to a game). IMO the really complex rules start to feel more like video game rules, and makes the game less fun than simple, straight forward rules. Example: GoT vs TWD - all the houses on GoT is more like a video game, and most people don't know what to do for quite a while on it, where TWD has straight forward objectives and modes.

#3235 6 years ago

What I really hate about all this is folks who like that certain type of game, Deep or Shallow, Flow or Stop and go, mode or Journey pin, etc, make harsh judgments and statements about the games they dont like on Pinside or elsewhere and it annoys the folks who like and own that game. The thing is though, a lot of time it is not the game itself they dont like, but the game does not fall into the style of pin they enjoy playing.

Very true - a game doesn't have to be all "flow" with extra complex rules to be a top game

#3236 6 years ago

I wonder, and hope, if they'll incorporate smart missles more.

#3237 6 years ago

I can easy cue up Aerosmith on my home stereo and play my pins. Not a huge fan of this pin (not liking the play field lay out). My humble opinion.

#3238 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I wonder, and hope, if they'll incorporate smart missles more.

What's the point of having the button if they don't, i agree? Lyman did a great job with the vip passes on Ac/dc. I like how the vip pass is implemented on AS.

#3239 6 years ago

I spy....

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#3240 6 years ago

Lift the prongs, wrap electrical tape around the base once, put prongs back. Mine never come out again after I do this.

#3241 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Lift the prongs, wrap electrical tape around the base once, put prongs back. Mine never come out again after I do this.

Where did yours come from?

#3242 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Where did yours come from?

None have come off on Aerosmith (yet), but I've had them come off of Star Trek Premium over the slings, and Metallica from about the same area. The electrical tape fix takes care of at least 90% of the issue, if not solves it.

#3243 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

None have come off on Aerosmith (yet), but I've had them come off of Star Trek Premium over the slings, and Metallica from about the same area. The electrical tape fix takes care of at least 90% of the issue, if not solves it.

Dude thanks for the help and the non negatively! Hope your code drops really soon!

#3244 6 years ago

Node board 10 failure. Upper PF

Anybody else?

#3245 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Node board 10 failure. Upper PF
Anybody else?

Quoted from iceman44:

The most overblown fake news issue EVER is the omg the build quality is sensational

Nope, but I have had the crappy node design game reset issue when the flipper voltage drops a tiny bit too low - twice, both times on an awesome ball now. Seriously, how does this terrible engineering pass muster in testing?

#3246 6 years ago

Sparechange1974 helped me setup my new AS pro yesterday (big thank you again). Finally got some time on the game this evening and I'm loving it! Even better my wife and parents think it's awesome too. Not a huge Aerosmith fan, but now I can't stop humming the tunes, catchy stuff. Really enjoying the new screen and animations, shots are tight and rewarding, game is harder than I originally thought which is a good thing. The cabinet and playfield artwork look amazing. Time to go play a few more games before bed!

#3247 6 years ago
Quoted from racecar85:

Sparechange1974 helped me setup my new AS pro yesterday (big thank you again). Finally got some time on the game this evening and I'm loving it! Even better my wife and parents think it's awesome too. Not a huge Aerosmith fan, but now I can't stop humming the tunes, catchy stuff. Really enjoying the new screen and animations, shots are tight and rewarding, game is harder than I originally thought which is a good thing. The cabinet and playfield artwork look amazing. Time to go play a few more games before bed!

AS really is a great game and I'm proud to have it in my collection. I haven't played it in a couple of weeks probably and I played a couple tonight and my shots were really off bad. It's definitely not a game that you can take a break from and come back and hit all the shots with no problem. You WILL be rusty and suck after a break from it I guarantee it lol.

#3248 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

AS really is a great game and I'm proud to have it in my collection. I haven't played it in a couple of weeks probably and I played a couple tonight and my shots were really off bad. It's definitely not a game that you can take a break from and come back and hit all the shots with no problem. You WILL be rusty and suck after a break from it I guarantee it lol.

Try switching back and forth from AS to Kiss in league. That will REALLY screw up your shot making!

#3249 6 years ago

I know this has been talked about but I cant locate it, but can someone please explain to me how the toy box multi ball works when you are in a 2,3, or 4 player game? Say player #1 locks 4 or 5 balls, how are the other players supposed to get multi ball? Please try to explain it in Dummies terms so I can maybe understand it.

#3250 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I know this has been talked about but I cant locate it, but can someone please explain to me how the toy box multi ball works when you are in a 2,3, or 4 player game? Say player #1 locks 4 or 5 balls, how are the other players supposed to get multi ball? Please try to explain it in Dummies terms so I can maybe understand it.

Players 1 locks 5 balls. Player 2 qualifies their first lock by hitting the trunk. Lights the lock. Hits the lock.
Trunk won't open, but the insert for 1 locked ball will light.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Bonus is if player two starts a 3 ball multiball and there are already 5 in the box.

Does that help?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Electronics
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.75
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
$ 10.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 4,176 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 84.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-aerosmith-pinball/page/65?hl=racecar85 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.