You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Interest in Aerosmith pinball machine”

• Yes- I would be interested if it plays well 193 votes
    19%
  • Yes-I would be interested if it has hand drawn art and plays well 106 votes
    10%
  • No-I do not care for Aerosmith, regardless of how it looks or plays 492 votes
    49%
  • Mabye-Not a huge fan of Aerosmith but if it plays good and looks good-mabye 221 votes
    22%

(1012 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Marshall (resized).jpg
d112c526ae84fbb4157faf6e388f5475--james-hetfield-pinball (resized).jpg
HOMER-THANOS (resized).jpg
AS-Grill2 (resized).jpg
marshall (resized).jpg
aero (resized).JPG
9435340A-B7F7-475B-A643-A171B165CB2B (resized).jpeg
FyYli72 (resized).jpg
F8EB5979-E9A5-46A9-A824-115180171946 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6660 (resized).PNG
Harry and the Hendersons (resized).png
IMG_1673 (resized).JPG
code is coming (resized).jpg
20170817_212543 (resized).jpg
IMG_5940 (resized).JPG
AS-tunnel-004 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,176 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 84.
#2701 6 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Brought home an LE on Thursday. Was sitting on the fence between the Pro or the LE, given the lack of many positive comments on the upper playfield. Had a lot of time on my buddies pro, so was hesitant spending that much on the added features of the LE. But, because I'm a gotta have it now guy, I bit the bullet, called my local distributor. They had LE's in stock, end of story.
No regrets, loving this pin!!

Im not a fan of upper playfields usually but I hear that its pretty sweet on AS.

#2702 6 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Brought home an LE on Thursday. Was sitting on the fence between the Pro or the LE, given the lack of many positive comments on the upper playfield. Had a lot of time on my buddies pro, so was hesitant spending that much on the added features of the LE. But, because I'm a gotta have it now guy, I bit the bullet, called my local distributor. They had LE's in stock, end of story.

yes, that was quite the surprise last night when I saw that LE in your pin room, buddy!! You got me. My eyes bugged out like a friggin' Volkswagen. Nice addition to your already amazing collection, Reg! Congrats.

#2703 6 years ago

Kind of tired of the constant Lonnie bashing. He has made some great games over the years. And at least with AS it's with code that resembles a complete game unlike other recent releases.

#2704 6 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

I think the Prem/LE is better but I got the Pro with my selling acdc money just so I could suprise my wife when she asked me "So how much more is AS over what you sold ACDC for?"

Ha! I win! Oh wait did I really win?

#2705 6 years ago

I was very hesitant on the LE because of the negative comments regarding the upper playfield but the ball spends very little time up there. The right ramp really has nothing to do with the upper playfield. What I didn't like about GoT Prem was the ramp always putting the ball on the upper playfield. Love the LE.

#2706 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Now if we can just get some more good code that adds some skill shots, and some deeper rules like Metallica, this game will be over the top.

I don't want to be a downer, but if you buy a Lonnie game expecting anything else than what is there now, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Name one game that's ever had "massive improvements" over the release code. I can't think of one.

Code updates will be minor fixes and twiddles (example, AVLE BW spinner triggering a hit to BW rather than having to loop the troublesome ramp) ... but no way there will be added "horde" or Metallica Crank it ups or anything like that.

I bought KISS after the last code update, I fully expect it to be like it is now forever. I really enjoy the game.

I am in the market for an Aerosmith Pro, I really enjoyed it "as it is" when I played it at Texas. However I won't pay $9700 NZD for one, so I will wait for a used one for cheaper. As I did with my TWD, KISS, and GOT pro.

rd

#2707 6 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

I was very hesitant on the LE because of the negative comments regarding the upper playfield ...Love the LE.

Most of those comments were made by people who had never seen one in the flesh, let alone played it.

Upper playfield is fine. I played the Premium, it was sweet.

rd

#2708 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Most of those comments were made by people who had never seen one in the flesh, let alone played it.
Upper playfield is fine. I played the Premium, it was sweet.
rd

Everyone I was with that played the premium at Texas thought the premium was better but still had a hard time justifying the price increase from pro to premium. I think the current tiers are too far apart to make it compelling to make the jump. I think it's close to $2,000 to go from pro to premium. That's just crazy.

#2709 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Everyone I was with that played the premium at Texas thought the premium was better but still had a hard time justifying the price increase from pro to premium. I think the current tiers are too far apart to make it compelling to make the jump. I think it's close to $2,000 to go from pro to premium. That's just crazy.

I would concur with that. And when you live outside the USA, the price difference is even more. It's $3000 difference here.

Some games, you'd justify it (like AC/DC premium over the pro)

But on others, the pro becomes the way to go.

rd

#2710 6 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

This is the sleeper pin of 2017 for sure. I don't think many people expected this game to be so good. I think a lot of people are probably waiting to see what Star Wars is going to be like and that is why we aren't seeing many people buying AS yet. If SW doesn't turn out to be anything spectacular I think we are going to see a mad rush on AS.

#2711 6 years ago

I still have a problem with modes currently. Not so much a problem, but specific strategy. The modes seem very lopsided, in terms of being able to complete anyway. Some modes are a gimme, others very difficult.

Are there benefits to completing modes regardless of points scored? IE Rats in the Cellar - Hit one shot and that mode is complete when you time out or lose a ball. The large Rats insert at the start of the right orbit seems to remain on afterward. Same with Walk this Way, once complete the ramps have "Walk" illuminated. Last child the blue inserts in orbits seem to be illuminated often after completing.

Is it beneficial to complete the easy modes early? other then the obvious like building towards 6 ball multi for the more difficult modes.

Does each completed mode activate a feature that assists with others progressing through modes. (Beat Rats in Cellar, turn on Rats insert)

I really like the coins, but not sure how they fit into current code.

What do the numbers and music sheets on the left side of the display represent?

Every shot in this game is tough to hit consistently for me except the toy chest and center ramp. The left outlane is particularly unkind to me. I have my GC, but not sure I'm even close to 15 combos yet (coins?)

My GC (resized).JPGMy GC (resized).JPG

My AS Bubble (resized).JPGMy AS Bubble (resized).JPG

#2712 6 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I still have a problem with modes currently. Not so much a problem, but specific strategy. The modes seem very lopsided, in terms of being able to complete anyway.

Read this, some strategy discussed and also the ruleset.

http://tiltforums.com/t/aerosmith-rulesheet/2499

rd

#2713 6 years ago

You should adjust mode times to your liking. If too easy decrease times. If too hard increase.

#2714 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I wish it were only $2K difference. In Canada, the difference between Pro & LE is $5,000.

#2715 6 years ago

The current code is fucked, and a great example of the cost cutting Stern is still engaging in.

When I buy a NIB Aerosmith, I full well don't expect to see bullshit like this:

IMG_0720a (resized).jpgIMG_0720a (resized).jpg

#2716 6 years ago

I hear great things about this pin, and then not so great things....going back and forth on buying one or not...it is an emotional rollercoaster!

#2717 6 years ago

Unboxed my Premium last night that came with 1.02 installed. First time ever doing a firmware update on a pinball machine, and I'm not having any luck. I've downloaded the file from Stern called "aerosmith_le-1_03_0.spk.zip", however when I go to extract it I get an error saying the file is either damaged or unknown. So I then downloaded "aerosmith-1_03_0.spk.zip" and I get the same error. When I preview the files inside the zip, I only see one file, yet the instructions state there should be 2 files. What am I missing?

#2718 6 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

The current code is fucked, and a great example of the cost cutting Stern is still engaging in.

because that affects your enjoyment/ability to earn on location, how exactly?

I think its brilliant that Stern is using some base code for another game IF it saves them time, and the code is appropriate for the new title of course. In my opinion, it's better to have deeper/playable code upon release than it is to have a menu item properly coded.

Cause really, this doesn't affect ANYTHING and can easily be corrected with a code update.

Now with respect to saying that the code is "fucked", perhaps you could provide some thoughts behind that statement? Songs are unbalanced?

#2719 6 years ago
Quoted from pinrock:

I hear great things about this pin, and then not so great things....going back and forth on buying one or not...it is an emotional rollercoaster!

What have you heard that's not so great?

#2720 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Unboxed my Premium last night that came with 1.02 installed. First time ever doing a firmware update on a pinball machine, and I'm not having any luck. I've downloaded the file from Stern called "aerosmith_le-1_03_0.spk.zip", however when I go to extract it I get an error saying the file is either damaged or unknown. So I then downloaded "aerosmith-1_03_0.spk.zip" and I get the same error. When I preview the files inside the zip, I only see one file, yet the instructions state there should be 2 files. What am I missing?

Unzip the files, should be two, and make sure your thumb drive has no other files on it. Most come with preloaded proprietary software these days. You need to delete anything else on the drive.

#2721 6 years ago
Quoted from pinrock:

Pros:
-Fun multiball
-Shoots nicely
-Good music, if you like Aerosmith

Cons:
-Bland modes
-Bad music, if you don't like Aerosmith
-Incoherent theme

The LCD is kind of a draw, though tbh I think the animations are really ugly. I'm not sure what's expected from later code updates, but I hope they beef up the modes and connect the dots on the overall narrative. Right now it feels like playing an 80s SS while listening to the Aerosmith Best Of album.

#2722 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I'm not sure what's expected from later code updates, but I hope they beef up the modes and connect the dots on the overall narrative. Right now it feels like playing an 80s SS while listening to the Aerosmith Best Of album.

There must be some creative freedom in licensing with music pins to create a unique narrative like a band taking over the world or something fun and playful.

#2723 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

What have you heard that's not so great?

This is what I think I've heard throughout pinside...Things like this it is just a re-themed KISS, that the upper playfield is not the greatest, that the code is a bit shallow without further updates, that the modes are unbalanced, that the playfield is a bit bare...etc.

I've also heard a lot of great things too and am very close to pulling the trigger on an LE, but everytime I get close, I revert back to a "wait and see" mode, which is where I find myself.

I guess I am just waiting to see if there are further code updates, any quality issues, or if the new game euphoria wears off. (I've looked back at some of the early KISS reviews and they were talking about how great that game was...but after time passed it became a disapointment for many...)

#2724 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Unzip the files, should be two, and make sure your thumb drive has no other files on it. Most come with preloaded proprietary software these days. You need to delete anything else on the drive.

Thumb drive is blank and freshly formatted. It seems as if the file coming from Stern is already corrupted.

#2725 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Thumb drive is blank and freshly formatted. It seems as if the file coming from Stern is already corrupted.

Maybe try a different thumb drive? Shouldn't have to "format" the drive. I don't get my pin until tuesday. I'll try and download and see what i get.

#2726 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Maybe try a different thumb drive? Shouldn't have to "format" the drive. I don't get my pin until tuesday. I'll try and download and see what i get.

The thumb drive isn't the issue. I downloaded the zip file to my PC and I'm trying to extract it on my PC first, then copy the 2 files over to the USB stick. I'm unable to extract the file at this point.

#2727 6 years ago

Try extracting to you computer first. Then move to thumb drive.
Right click on file go to properties and click "unblock" if it has the button. Could be flagged for anti virus review. Also check to make sure antivirus isn't scanning the file still befor you extract. Keep everything on your local hdd until ready to copy to thumb drive.

#2728 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

because that affects your enjoyment/ability to earn on location, how exactly?
I think its brilliant that Stern is using some base code for another game IF it saves them time, and the code is appropriate for the new title of course. In my opinion, it's better to have deeper/playable code upon release than it is to have a menu item properly coded.
Cause really, this doesn't affect ANYTHING and can easily be corrected with a code update.
Now with respect to saying that the code is "fucked", perhaps you could provide some thoughts behind that statement? Songs are unbalanced?

It affects my analysis of the value of the product I have just purchased. If I paid good money for an Aerosmith Pinball, I expect it not to have Kiss Pinball code. That's just me. Perhaps my expectations are unreasonable.

As an operator, I can easily correct this by not purchasing NIB again. Something I promised after the GB playfield debacle, but failed to adhere to due to contractual obligations.

From a collector's standpoint, I'm already out. I've completely switched hobbies.

#2729 6 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Try extracting to you computer first. Then move to thumb drive.
Right click on file go to properties and click "unblock" if it has the button. Could be flagged for anti virus review. Also check to make sure antivirus isn't scanning the file still befor you extract. Keep everything on your local hdd until ready to copy to thumb drive.</blockquote

Already tried all of the above. Still get damaged file. Even tried downloading to another PC, same error.

#2730 6 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I still have a problem with modes currently. Not so much a problem, but specific strategy. The modes seem very lopsided, in terms of being able to complete anyway. Some modes are a gimme, others very difficult.

KISS is the same way, Deuce and Lick it Up are dead simple and ones like Black Diamond and Hotter than Hell are quite challenging. There's definitely an order to get through them. On KISS do the easy ones first and try to set up the hard ones for a multiball.

#2731 6 years ago

You don't get credit for completing a mode in MB right?

Almost impossible to complete all modes?

Anybody that has time on both, how similar is Kiss code to AS?

Maybe Lonnie can cut and paste on both and finish Kiss off?

#2732 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

There must be some creative freedom in licensing with music pins to create a unique narrative like a band taking over the world or something fun and playful.

Yeah, exactly! These band pins need another conceptual level, it's why I've never been able to get into AC/DC, because it feels like the gameplay is entirely about maximizing points. If I want to play a pin that's entirely about point acquisition, I'll play an EM - somehow, having gobs of toys and ramps and animation just to serve an abstract number feels wrong.

#2733 6 years ago

Update, I downloaded a 3rd time from another PC and the files extracted fine. Not sure what the issues were earlier.

#2734 6 years ago

That isn't cost cutting, it's laziness. Everyone knew AS code started from the KISS codebase. He fact that someone was too lazy to search the codebase for the name of the game wouldn't be solved by anything but better people doing the work.

#2735 6 years ago

I just got my AS and have been playing the hell out of it for the past two days. Now that i have a lot of quality time on it I can honestly say the code feels very little like Kiss (yes i own one to compare it to). In my opinion the code is most like Star Trek but also draws from many other games (Metallica, MB, Avatar, GOT, Mustang) It takes the best bits from each of them. I'm still learning the best scoring strategies. So far it seems like a really fun addictive game for the serious player. I'm very pleased that i've added it to my collection.

#2736 6 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

Now that i have a lot of quality time on it I can honestly say the code feels very little like Kiss ... It takes the best bits from each of them

It's Lonnies Greatest Hits.

rd

#2737 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

It should be, he has had an extra 4-6 months since BM swapped around their releases to polish the code, nothing wrong with a Greatest Hits

#2738 6 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I just got my AS and have been playing the hell out of it for the past two days. Now that i have a lot of quality time on it I can honestly say the code feels very little like Kiss (yes i own one to compare it to). In my opinion the code is most like Star Trek but also draws from many other games (Metallica, MB, Avatar, GOT, Mustang) It takes the best bits from each of them. I'm still learning the best scoring strategies. So far it seems like a really fun addictive game for the serious player. I'm very pleased that i've added it to my collection.

That's great to hear!

#2739 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

I'd actually agree with that but it's a good thing

#2740 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

That isn't cost cutting, it's laziness. Everyone knew AS code started from the KISS codebase. He fact that someone was too lazy to search the codebase for the name of the game wouldn't be solved by anything but better people doing the work.

I don't agree. Filtering through thousands of lines of code. A missed title change isn't lazy. And who really friggin cares. Would you rather they spent time re going over the code or writing an enhancement. I feel starting with other code is a smart way to save time and use known good code.
Every coder does it. Some call it library's. Some cut and paste. imnhappy to see he's using his library to its potential and gave us good code a launch.

#2741 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I'd actually agree with that but it's a good thing

Of course it is. Why not have the best of everything?

rd

#2742 6 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

I don't agree. Filtering through thousands of lines of code. A missed title change isn't lazy. And who really friggin cares. Would you rather they spent time re going over the code or writing an enhancement. I feel starting with other code is a smart way to save time and use known good code.
Every coder does it. Some call it library's. Some cut and paste. imnhappy to see he's using his library to its potential and gave us good code a launch.

Yes, but that's why any experienced coder uses defines or something similar in their reusable code. #define gamename "KISS" and then you only have to change that to #define gamename "ASmith" (or the whole thing if you have room) and it changes it in all the strings you used gamename at compile with no mistakes like the one in the AS settings. Lonnie must know this, but I have no idea why he isn't using it.

#2743 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Pros:
-Fun multiball
-Shoots nicely
-Good music, if you like Aerosmith
Cons:
-Bland modes
-Bad music, if you don't like Aerosmith
-Incoherent theme

Completely disagree with your cons - the modes are not bland at all - they are cooler than most other recent Stern games for sure.
Incoherent theme??? - There is nothing incoherent at all... It's all based around Aerosmith, and their songs. Jackie is a jack in the box toy, that's collecting toys (in the attic) for Toybox Multiball. It fit's perfectly with the song and multiball.

#2744 6 years ago
Quoted from pinrock:

This is what I think I've heard throughout pinside...Things like this it is just a re-themed KISS, that the upper playfield is not the greatest, that the code is a bit shallow without further updates, that the modes are unbalanced, that the playfield is a bit bare...etc.
I've also heard a lot of great things too and am very close to pulling the trigger on an LE, but everytime I get close, I revert back to a "wait and see" mode, which is where I find myself.
I guess I am just waiting to see if there are further code updates, any quality issues, or if the new game euphoria wears off. (I've looked back at some of the early KISS reviews and they were talking about how great that game was...but after time passed it became a disapointment for many...)

Upper playfield is awesome - you have to understand how it integrates with the rules.
Doesn't play at all like Kiss - similar layout, with anything that was "not fun" replaced/fixed - much better actually.
Modes balance is fine - could use some tweeking but way more balanced than most games really.
Playfield isn't bare at all on the LE And it's got the best artwork of ANY Stern game ever!

The negative comments are coming 90% from people that don't have a clue - most have never played, and others have minimal playtime as is obvious by their comments.

#2745 6 years ago

Toy Box >> Gene's Head on Kiss (especially on the Pro where it's a virtual lock)

#2746 6 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Toy Box >> Gene's Head on Kiss (especially on the Pro where it's a virtual lock)

The Jack in the Box isn't NEARLY as freaky looking.

#2747 6 years ago

The code is not fucked, it's actually very good. You would bitch like a little girl even if you opened the cabinet up and it had a million dollars stuffed in it. Some people just can't be made happy and you are one of them. I thought you said that you wasn't buying anymore Stern machines anyway? Go buy JJP or Spooky games since you hate Stern so much!

#2748 6 years ago

ok so im a AS member as of last Friday I got a AS pro I want a add a shaker motor anyone have the part number and is they any tricks to installing it ? its a fun game thanks

#2749 6 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

ok so im a AS member as of last Friday I got a AS pro I want a add a shaker motor anyone have the part number and is they any tricks to installing it ? its a fun game thanks

Congrats on your new game, you made a great choice. Wish I could help you on the shaker but I didn't put one in my machine yet. Not sure if the shaker is a must have in AS or not? I haven't heard anyone really talk about it.

#2750 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Congrats on your new game, you made a great choice. Wish I could help you on the shaker but I didn't put one in my machine yet. Not sure if the shaker is a must have in AS or not? I haven't heard anyone really talk about it.

My buddy put a shaker in his Pro and told me not to spend the money on one. All I heard so far.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
There are 4,176 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 84.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-aerosmith-pinball/page/55?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.