You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Interest in Aerosmith pinball machine”

• Yes- I would be interested if it plays well 193 votes
    19%
  • Yes-I would be interested if it has hand drawn art and plays well 106 votes
    10%
  • No-I do not care for Aerosmith, regardless of how it looks or plays 492 votes
    49%
  • Mabye-Not a huge fan of Aerosmith but if it plays good and looks good-mabye 221 votes
    22%

(1012 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Marshall (resized).jpg
d112c526ae84fbb4157faf6e388f5475--james-hetfield-pinball (resized).jpg
HOMER-THANOS (resized).jpg
AS-Grill2 (resized).jpg
marshall (resized).jpg
aero (resized).JPG
9435340A-B7F7-475B-A643-A171B165CB2B (resized).jpeg
FyYli72 (resized).jpg
F8EB5979-E9A5-46A9-A824-115180171946 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6660 (resized).PNG
Harry and the Hendersons (resized).png
IMG_1673 (resized).JPG
code is coming (resized).jpg
20170817_212543 (resized).jpg
IMG_5940 (resized).JPG
AS-tunnel-004 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,176 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 84.
#2301 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, when you start with a good base (KISS) and spend almost two years polishing it, that's not surprising.
The system settings slipup is just confirmation of what everyone suspected. If you've spent time with KISS, the overall similarities are overwhelming.

Agreed but for whatever reason it plays nothing like KISS. Ive owned most modern Sterns and aside from acdc this is my fav. Met is a woodchopper and is more of a competitors pin to me due to lyman. Usually your pushing crap up hill when telling people it aint the best game but to me i see nothing fun about it. AS oozes fun pinball action. Maybe next to each other they may not be a bad mix.

#2302 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

How is the gameplay different with no post between the pops?

This! I racked my brain trying to see how this improves gameplay but can't think of how...

#2303 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

This! I racked my brain trying to see how this improves gameplay but can't think of how...

Remove yours and you will see. Pops are more random. I had it shoot out of the pops and right in to the lock.

#2304 7 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Remove yours and you will see. Pops are more random. I had it shoot out of the pops and right in to the lock.

I can see the advantage there but I still prefer that the jets keep the ball in that orbit lane longer with a possibility of it firing back up to advance elavator mb. With taking away the post I think you're adding to one thing but taking away from another. Personal choice I guess.

#2305 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

I think game designers should strive to have more than 1 exit from the pop bumpers. ACDC looked like it was going to have 2, with one under the right ramp. It seems to be there on the whitewood.

Rob

#2306 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, when you start with a good base (KISS) and spend almost two years polishing it, that's not surprising.
The system settings slipup is just confirmation of what everyone suspected. If you've spent time with KISS, the overall similarities are overwhelming.

You need to get over this bitterness. I've spent some time on KISS (despite hating the band visuals) and this game doesn't remind me of it at all. So what if they started with a skeleton code from another game? I do this with all kinds of documents at work. It makes things faster and easier by not reinventing the wheel. For all we know AFM started with Popeye code. Who the eff cares? To me Aerosmith shares some small similarities with a lot of games from Borg, but KISS being the least. No big deal... All of the designers have signature items that repeat from game to game with slight changes and tweaks. Shrug.

#2307 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

You need to get over this bitterness. I've spent some time on KISS (despite hating the band visuals) and this game doesn't remind me of it at all. So what if they started with a skeleton code from another game? I do this with all kinds of documents at work. It makes things faster and easier by not reinventing the wheel. For all we know AFM started with Popeye code. Who the eff cares? To me Aerosmith shares some small similarities with a lot of games from Borg, but KISS being the least. No big deal... All of the designers have signature items that repeat from game to game with slight changes and tweaks. Shrug.

I couldn't agree more Aerosmith feels like a Borg game but shoots very differnt and is just a pure out fun fest

#2308 7 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Might give it shot...couldnt hurt

#2309 7 years ago

Ordered a pro today and getting it next week.

#2311 7 years ago

Ordered a pro today and getting it next week.

Congrats dude! Ole Musketd talked you right into that didn't he? Hell I think he's about talked me into one also, he's Sterns best Aerosmith salesman right now!

#2312 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

You need to get over this bitterness.

I'm really not that put out about the KISS situation. It's fun as-is, and it earns GREAT on location for the one I help maintain, so not really bitter. Irritated would be a better word, mostly at Stern outright lying about the "big update" (Nov) then "not so big" update (Jan) then, oh, they haven't been working on it (Mar).

If you want to talk bitter, THAT is a conversation for the abomination that is Batman'66 and the alpha version they shipped that's stuck in a user beta test until at least Summer - at our expense. I AM pissed about that.

#2313 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Congrats dude! Ole Musketd talked you right into that didn't he? Hell I think he's about talked me into one also, he's Sterns best Aerosmith salesman right now!

Thanks! I just want to play it over and over. In Borg I trust.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

Took you long enough!

Well I played yours on Thursday night and.....you know.

OH and also no need to have my friend stop by your house to play before he buys. He also ordered a Pro also. Boom!

#2314 7 years ago

Thanks! I just want to play it over and over. In Borg I trust.

Well I played yours on Thursday night and.....you know.
OH and also no need to have my friend stop by your house to play before he buys. He also ordered a Pro also. Boom!

Hell yeah, Borg is the man! I haven't got to play one yet but I already know this pin is a winner from all the video I've watched and from all of the positive reviews.

#2315 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Hell yeah, Borg is the man! I haven't got to play one yet but I already know this pin is a winner from all the video I've watched and from all of the positive reviews.

Once you play one, you will probably want one. It's a surprisingly fun game. Having a chance to bake it a little longer helped the game. And I reallly like the lock shot, and the popping of the ball. Sure, they stole the ark from IJ4, but it was always a cool gimmick that was worth doing again in a better game.

#2316 7 years ago

I am also going on the roll that Borg has had with Pro models so far - Kiss, TWD, MET, Xmen, Tron, Avatar, IM?! Heck I like BBH, IJ, and AP also! Just awesome.

Oh and the Dirty Donnie art! AS May better than Met even. MET is fantastic also!

#2317 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Once you play one, you will probably want one. It's a surprisingly fun game. Having a chance to bake it a little longer helped the game. And I reallly like the lock shot, and the popping of the ball. Sure, they stole the ark from IJ4, but it was always a cool gimmick that was worth doing again in a better game.

Do you have AS Dave or have you played one on location somewhere?

#2318 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

You have a Pinsider with a WOZ avatar who comes on Stern game threads and bash the games shocking

#2319 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

You have a Pinsider with a WOZ avatar who comes on Stern game threads and bash the games shocking

I suspect it has less to do with JJP, and more to do with him owning a Kiss.

#2320 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Yeah I hate to admit that I have been guilty of similar infractions over the years but trying to reform. It's all good.

#2321 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

It's a little more complicated than that. I help an op with his route pins and they live at my house for anywhere from a couple weeks to months (BM'66, which is nowhere close to route-ready, so it's sequestered because, unlike Stern, he's not dumping a turd on his customers) while I get them bulletproofed to go out. So I have access to pretty much every Stern and JJP and have played them extensively at home before they go out.

BM'66 is a disaster. Period. It might someday be just okay, but it's terrible now, and in no way route-ready. There's nothing there. It might as well be the late 1980s with that pin's content and rules. AeroKISS is a modified KISS layout using (verified by the OOPS! in the system settings) the KISS code skeleton. Surprised? No KISS owner is. The software has been built up differently, but the layout is clearly KISS with only minor changes.

And not to just give Stern some lumps, Hobbit from JJP is still a beautiful mess. Earns nowhere near as well as WoZ on location and isn't super-fun to play, long-term. The OP I help sent his down the road because it wasn't earning. The problems JJP is having with a buggy Ubuntu core are the biggest threat to them moving forward. Both WoZ and Hobbit have serious Linux-based bugs (WoZ lockups, Hobbit loud popping) related to the drivers in the Ubuntu core upgrade last year that make them problematic on route. And the bugs have been there for like 8 months now with no improvement at all. Since it's a Linux problem, I would have thought they would pay a Linux OS genius to work it out for them as a contractor months ago. Nope.

There. A little bit of reality for JJP and Stern. Feel better now?

#2322 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

AeroKISS is a modified KISS layout using (verified by the OOPS! in the system settings) the KISS code skeleton. Surprised? No KISS owner is. The software has been built up differently, but the layout is clearly KISS with only minor changes.

But why is it so upsetting that the layout or code has similarities to Kiss? Most of Borgs games have close similarities to each other. Aerosmith doesn't *feel* like you are playing Kiss, especially if you look at the Premium with the additional playfield - so the similarities are of no consequence. Additionally, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

#2323 7 years ago
Quoted from T7:

But why is it so upsetting that the layout or code has similarities to Kiss? Most of Borgs games have close similarities to each other. Aerosmith doesn't *feel* like you are playing Kiss, especially if you look at the Premium with the additional playfield - so the similarities are of no consequence. Additionally, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

It's not upsetting, per se, just lazy design. And that quote doesn't work when you're copying yourself.

#2324 7 years ago

When you put out as many titles as Borg does, i dont think Lazy is the word i'd use.

#2325 7 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Just want to confirm doing this is awesome!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2326 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Did you cover the hole with some mylar? Just wondering as I may do this to mine when it arrives. Worried if the bare hole will chip out or something without some protection.

#2327 7 years ago
Quoted from cards25:

Did you cover the hole with some mylar? Just wondering as I may do this to mine when it arrives. Worried if the bare hole will chip out or something without some protection.

I did

#2328 7 years ago

I covered mine with Mylar also.

#2329 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Glad you like it.

#2330 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

When you put out as many titles as Borg does, i dont think Lazy is the word i'd use.

If his next game is the same layout as KISS and AS, maybe then he should be talked to.....

Rob

#2331 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Sounds like it would asist for toys locks but im still not sold. I tried it and i would rather keep it in the orbit lane longer with a possible elevator assist which is what i think Borg had in mind. Still think its adding one way but also taking away from another.

One of the appeals for me is the difficulty of that toys lock shot. No fun in being able to more easily farm out multiballs all day. Im leaving it the way it was designed but hey its personal taste.

#2332 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Do you have AS Dave or have you played one on location somewhere?

A friend does. And nobody was more shocked than me when I actually liked it. From seeing it online I was pretty cold to the game, but they did some things right in it. The toy box gimmick is just funny to watch happen, and I really like the lock shot for it. It's really one of the games that does enough things right, that it is fun to play.

And really, I had expected to play one game on it just to get it out of the way. But I kept going back to it. A game that can make me think about playing it again as I'm walking away is a cool thing. I'm looking forward to putting a bunch more games on it.

#2333 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

A friend does. And nobody was more shocked than me when I actually liked it. From seeing it online I was pretty cold to the game, but they did some things right in it. The toy box gimmick is just funny to watch happen, and I really like the lock shot for it. It's really one of the games that does enough things right, that it is fun to play.
And really, I had expected to play one game on it just to get it out of the way. But I kept going back to it. A game that can make me think about playing it again as I'm walking away is a cool thing. I'm looking forward to putting a bunch more games on it.

Is his a Premium or a pro model?

#2334 7 years ago

Does the elevator kickout go SDTM? If yes, what is everyone doing to adjust this?

#2335 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Is his a Premium or a pro model?

Pro. I don't think I'm going to like the Premium because I'm kind of done with little upper playfields. They get stale to me because the shots are just not satisfying. They feel like a gimmick. The only games I don't hate them in are AC/DC, WOZ, and Family Guy, but even those ones can get a bit irritating. But again, once I play an LE, it's possible I'll change my mind.

#2336 7 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Does the elevator kickout go SDTM? If yes, what is everyone doing to adjust this?

Mine doesn't go SDTM using factory settings - usually hits the left lower playfield or flipper. I would guess you can adjust the kick out power in settings if this happens

#2337 7 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Just an FYI, I've put over 50 games on a pro and I've never had it go sdtm from either scoop. There is a setting to adjust the power if necessary though. We had to lower the settings for the left scoop because the thing was firing way too hard and was uncontrollable at the factory setting. The toy box diverter is also adjustable in the settings in the event the ball fires too hard and overshoots the box.

#2338 7 years ago

I finally had the opportunity to get some good time on an Aerosmith.

Here is my review:

First of all the game play video and pictures do not do this game justice. I was really impressed when I first saw it in person. It literally is a work of art. I spent a couple of minutes just starring at all of the trippy 60's style artwork on the playfield. Very colorful and well executed. It will be a top contender for pinball art in comparison with other titles. Ok after I quit starring at the beauty of the art it was time to play. First thing I noticed was the new start button style. It is large and smooth and easy to push, nice when you get that one more game vibe. The game I played was an LE and the back glass is stunning. It has little star like mirror images all over that really pop. I am glad that Stern listened and made the LCD smaller and kept the back glass(Thank you Stern!). Now into gameplay. The game played really well and most important is 'It is a fun game'. The layout is good and the shots are satisfying with good flow. It plays nothing like Metallica, Kiss, IJ4, NBA, or Mustang even though there are some shared elements. My concern over the last couple of months was if I was going to like it because I am not a huge Aerosmith fan. I was concerned because I liked the Kiss pinball for playing but I did not care for the band or the music and after some time it got annoying to me. Well Aerosmith did not make me feel that way, it was more like Metallica for me with the music being good enough to tolerate and enjoy. The LCD is nicely done and the animations tie in with the theme well. Other things I really liked were the pop bumper placement, and magnet in front of the toy box. I like fast unpredictable games that keep you on your toes and Aerosmith fits the bill. The pop bumper placement in lower part of playfield actually does something for once. They project the ball rapidly in random direction back to center playfield and the magnet adds another dimension of unpredictability. It rockets the ball all over and requires that you keep a sharp eye on the action. The Toy Box is well designed and I only had one ball miss the box. Cool feature and fun to watch, plus it will freak out newbies into the hobby and show what modern pinball is all about. The color changing RGB and light sequencing is well done and fun to watch. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with Aerosmith and it has been taken off my radar list and has now been placed on my wanted list. Well what about LE/Premium v.s. Pro? To answer this question you would need to ask yourself a question. "Do you like upper playfields on pinball machines?" If you answered yes than you should consider a LE/Premium, and if no then you should consider the pro. I personally do not care for certain upper playfields but I do enjoy WH20 and Elvis upper playfields because they are more like ramps and not stop and go upper playfield that affects overall flow of the game. The upper playfield on Aerosmith has potential and I think with a few tweaks in code it could make it more enjoyable. Instead of having to cradle the ball and lightly tap four times to hit targets until ramp shot lights up I had the idea to have just one light tap (or until 4 targets are all hit) then having to perform three consecutive loops around ramp and then elevator to complete? Something needs to change to make it more interesting and challenging. The elevator is cool but it did slow down gameplay and kill the flow. Overall I was very pleased with the initial code, art, and gameplay. I would recommend an Aerosmith to anyone and I think it will turn out to be a great seller for Stern. It may take some time like Metallica did before people start to see the light. Do not pass judement on this game until you have a chance to play it in person. It is stunning in person.

Ok what did I not like about Aerosmith? Well my biggest gripe is how lightweight it is. It feels significantly lighter than previous Stern's and reminded me of Spiderman Pin version. When you can shake a machine easily back and forth it greatly affects gameplay. Nudging takes on a whole new meaning with trying not to tilt. It feels way too light and if I end up getting one the first thing I will do is add weights to the inside cabinet to give it a solid more robust feel. As long as I am in nit pick mode I have to say that the art is awesome except the two inserts that impede on the main center art with band members. Just a little tweaking with the scale of the art would have had been perfect with art not being lapped over by ugly inserts. The speaker grills need help. They look like the underside of a microwave and need something like speaker lights or cutouts. Other than that it is hard to find many faults with this title. Again well executed and it will be a winner for Stern. To all of the people that were involved with the making of this title I just have to say 'Great work and job well done'.

#2339 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I finally had the opportunity to get some good time on an Aerosmith.
Here is my review:
I was really impressed when I first saw it in person. It literally is a work of art.
The game played really well and most important is 'It is a fun game'. The layout is good and the shots are satisfying with good flow.

Thanks for your come back !!

Quoted from pinmister:

My concern over the last couple of months was if I was going to like it because I am not a huge Aerosmith fan.

Thanks again, because it's a important question !
Find interest and pleasure to play when musique are not my cup of tea like we say in French

Quoted from pinmister:

Do not pass judement on this game until you have a chance to play it in person. It is stunning in person. Great work and job well done'.

Well !! Let's go to try it ...

#2340 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It feels significantly lighter than previous Stern's

Thanks for the review. Do anybody know, what STERN changed? Thinner wood/metal in the cabinet or is the missing transformer since SPIKE the matter?

#2341 7 years ago

If we had US prices over here in the U.K. I think this could well have been my first NIB. However at $7500 for a Pro it's a non starter.

#2342 7 years ago

Seems like all the usual new game hype . I'm waiting this one out to see how everyone feels in 6 months. Lonnie on code, re-used Sparky voice, and very similar layout to Kiss have me very cautious. When I played it, the Jacky box seemed like a one trick pony.. nothing else seemed really exciting to shoot for. But my problem with new games is my opinion can change with time, and it's one of the reasons I don't jump early.

Gratz to all the new owners of AS, one thing I will say I like- the art package is over the top! Music is enjoyable too.

#2343 7 years ago

"Fun" seems to be mentioned a lot with AS and I agree. AS could be the most fun Borg game.

Like I love my IM, but I would not call it fun to play. I would say IM is intense and challenging and it pisses me off sometimes, but I can't walk away from it. Other Borg games are like that. AS is different for some reason.

#2344 7 years ago
Quoted from DerRoland:

Thanks for the review. Do anybody know, what STERN changed? Thinner wood/metal in the cabinet or is the missing transformer since SPIKE the matter?

Transformer was around 35 pounds. Not to mention cutting out well more than half of the wiring. New technology, weight savings and cost cutting all go hand in hand. If it really bothers people, putting a 40 pound weight in the cabinet will fix it right up.

#2345 7 years ago

Has anyone else experienced node board failures on their Aerosmiths? My node 9 smoked when I powered up the game for the first time two weeks ago. Stern sent me a replacement then node 8 failed a day later. Originally Stern thought it was the opto boards on node 8 but when that did not fix the problem they had me swap boards and the problem went to node 9. Right now waiting for that replacement to be shipped. Stern thinks I just got bad boards but two failures with identical boards (8 and 9 are the same board but with different dip switch settings) is unusual. My Batman 66 is the same circuit build and its been running fine for months. Am I the only one with board failures so far? Wondering if Stern just got a bad batch. Cy

#2346 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Well my biggest gripe is how lightweight it is. It feels significantly lighter than previous Stern's and reminded me of Spiderman Pin version. When you can shake a machine easily back and forth it greatly affects gameplay.

When I mentioned that earlier in this thread, I was basically told that I don't know how to setup a pinball machine

And I agree, it is my second biggest gripe about the new Stern games.

#2347 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

When I mentioned that earlier in this thread, I was basically told that I don't know how to setup a pinball machine
And I agree, it is my second biggest gripe about the new Stern games.

All of the spike games are going to be lighter then the SAM system games since many of the stuff in the cabinet has been removed. My GOT pro feels much lighter then my TF Pro thats right next to it but both feel and play great.

#2348 7 years ago

I kinda like the games being lighter. It makes getting them in and out of my basement much easier and they still seem like they play good to me. I could always add weight too if I wanted to.

#2349 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Pro. I don't think I'm going to like the Premium because I'm kind of done with little upper playfields. They get stale to me because the shots are just not satisfying. They feel like a gimmick. The only games I don't hate them in are AC/DC, WOZ, and Family Guy, but even those ones can get a bit irritating.

#2350 7 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I'm waiting this one out to see how everyone feels in 6 months.

I wonder what it will be like after hearing Walk This Way for another 1000 times.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.75
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,176 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 84.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-aerosmith-pinball/page/47?hl=joey__p__1966 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.