You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Interest in Aerosmith pinball machine”

• Yes- I would be interested if it plays well 193 votes
    19%
  • Yes-I would be interested if it has hand drawn art and plays well 106 votes
    10%
  • No-I do not care for Aerosmith, regardless of how it looks or plays 492 votes
    49%
  • Mabye-Not a huge fan of Aerosmith but if it plays good and looks good-mabye 221 votes
    22%

(1012 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Marshall (resized).jpg
d112c526ae84fbb4157faf6e388f5475--james-hetfield-pinball (resized).jpg
HOMER-THANOS (resized).jpg
AS-Grill2 (resized).jpg
marshall (resized).jpg
aero (resized).JPG
9435340A-B7F7-475B-A643-A171B165CB2B (resized).jpeg
FyYli72 (resized).jpg
F8EB5979-E9A5-46A9-A824-115180171946 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6660 (resized).PNG
Harry and the Hendersons (resized).png
IMG_1673 (resized).JPG
code is coming (resized).jpg
20170817_212543 (resized).jpg
IMG_5940 (resized).JPG
AS-tunnel-004 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,176 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 84.
#1651 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Pro is IMO the way to go on this title
That's good because Pro is the only way I will go on any title due to the ridiculous pricing of Premiums.
If Stern makes lame pros & awesome premiums they get $0 from me. Code, pricing & QC has slowly pushed me into other hobbies & I'm just seeing less & less value in pinball lately.
Stern will survive without me. No worries
LCD is DOPE! My DMD games can suck it. No way in hell moving FW I'd buy a used DMD Pro listed @ $4500 then buy a $400 color DMD when a NIB LCD magically arrives @ my house for $300 more

I'm honestly way more impressed with TWD with ColorDMD than I am with Aerosmith's or BM66s LCD.. I like the size but the content and implementation is lacking. Hobbit or WOZ is way more impressive. I do agree that the Pro is a pretty good value though.

#1652 7 years ago

Stern's use of the LCD is a fumble so far, I wonder if they have the artistic resources to really take advantage of it and avoid being hamstrung by the increased need for detail and attention.

#1653 7 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I thought the game looked great! The pro looks to be a winner just like Metallica!

Not a knock against Metallica by any means but I think this game is going to be the better game of the two. It looks just as fun if not better, will have better sound with the spike system, and it has the LED screen.

#1654 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Stern's use of the LCD is a fumble so far, I wonder if they have the artistic resources to really take advantage of it and avoid being hamstrung by the increased need for detail and attention.

I seen nothing wrong with the LED animations last night, in fact I thought they were pretty damn cool.

#1655 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Not a knock against Metallica by any means but I think this game is going to be the better game of the two. It looks just as fun if not better, will have better sound with the spike system, and it has the LED screen.

Not a chance. I own Met and have played Aerosmith Pro. Aerosmith is fun, but the game is pretty basic and limited compared to Met. Apart from the lock launch/toy box, that's pretty much it.

The Premium at least has another element in the upper PF.

Edit: And the dots! For all it's HD glory, Aerosmith animations will never come close Metallica's dots.

#1656 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'm honestly way more impressed with TWD with ColorDMD than I am with Aerosmith's or BM66s LCD.. I like the size but the content and implementation is lacking. Hobbit or WOZ is way more impressive. I do agree that the Pro is a pretty good value though.

As a TWD w/colorDMD owner I agree. WOZ sucks

But cool shit is on the horizon. TWD will be eclipsed by a newer game & all new games will sport an LCD.

The best comparison we have now is not WOZ vs TWD. Thats a lame argument. Our best convo on the LCD vs DMD topic IMO is BM66 vs BDK. Put those two side by side & talk DMD vs LCD

Comparing the best ever DMD's to the half dozen LCD's that just came out is like comparing a 2010 Rolls Royce to a 2017 Honda Civic. It only works until 2018 when the new Rolls Royce enters the convo

#1657 7 years ago

During the expo tour 2015 Stern introduced a few new hires that were from the 3D graphics industry, so they definitely hired to specifically help with the new display.

#1658 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I seen nothing wrong with the LED animations last night, in fact I thought they were pretty damn cool.

I mean, it comes down to personal taste but so far I think the Aerosmith LCD animations look like a bad flash game.

#1659 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I mean, it comes down to personal taste but so far I think the Aerosmith LCD animations look like a bad flash game.

Agreed! Dots when done right are really an art form. I would much prefer a colorDMD for games like TWD or GB than an LCD showing flash animations, or worse yet actual movie or show clips. If they would utilize the full size of the ColorDMD in the speaker panel that would really be perfect!

#1660 7 years ago

It really highlights the amount of work it takes to make a good, engaging display.

#1661 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Word. The band animations are especially low-rent. They've had a lot of time to work on this, too, so that's pretty depressing.

#1662 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

#1663 7 years ago

I watched the stream for 2 hours, With only 8 songs? and not the full songs, that was enough of hearing Aerosmith for me.

The layout also looked like the same ol, same ol bash toy with a magnet in front of it. C'mon Stern!, Time to stop re-using old toy's and mech's and make something new

#1664 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I watched the stream for 2 hours, With only 8 songs? and not the full songs, that was enough of hearing Aerosmith for me.
The layout also looked like the same ol, same ol bash toy with a magnet in front of it. C'mon Stern!, Time to stop re-using old toy's and mech's and make something new

Dang I'm going to have to sit down and reevaluate myself I guess. I thought the game was f*cking awesome and I have been hating on the game ever since it was announced lol. I am pretty picky and critical of things usually but I was kinda blown away honestly. All I seen was a cool game and a bunch of guys having a blast playing it. This game already has Batmans Ass kicked by a mile imo.

#1665 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Dang I'm going to have to sit down and reevaluate myself I guess. I thought the game was f*cking awesome and I have been hating on the game ever since it was announced lol. I am pretty picky and critical of things usually but I was kinda blown away honestly. All I seen was a cool game and a bunch of guys having a blast playing it. This game already has Batmans Ass kicked by a mile imo.

I was expecting it to be a pass too, but after watching it flow on the video, am rethinking that verdict.
It looks more like ACDC to me than anything else. Which to me, is a very very good thing.

#1666 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I really was thinking of buying this, I still might, but I will wait now till I can play it & see how code comes along and who knows I might like Sterns next title more. The good thing is there is no rush

#1667 7 years ago

You guys are on crack, talking about the LCD. You don't play the LCD like a game console, it's there to enhance and accompany the player along their journey giving them details, hints, and fun to enhance the players experience. I thought they nailed it with the stream, and I was suspect on it from the CES videos

#1668 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I really was thinking of buying this, I still might, but I will wait now till I can play it & see how code comes along and who knows I might like Sterns next title more. The good thing is there is no rush

A good Elvira game might steer me away from Aerosmith but not Star Wars.

#1669 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

A good Elvira game might steer me away from Aerosmith but not Star Wars.

Don't forget about AFMr, DI and Jetsons!! Soon come.

#1670 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You guys are on crack, talking about the LCD. You don't play the LCD like a game console, it's there to enhance and accompany the player along their journey giving them details, hints, and fun to enhance the players experience. I thought they nailed it with the stream, and I was suspect on it from the CES videos

Well said.

That's why I don't care for the JJP screen...it's a complete overload.

#1671 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I'm with you mate. The jack in the box toy is kind of cool as is the artwork but beyond that same old thing. Sort of glad really as Aerosmith just kills it for me so no temptation at all. Hopefully this will give stern more time to sort out their problems before they put something out that interests me.

#1672 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I'm with you mate. The jack in the box toy is kind of cool as is the artwork but beyond that same old thing. Sort of glad really as Aerosmith just kills it for me so no temptation at all. Hopefully this will give stern more time to sort out their problems before they put something out that interests me.

Really this game looks pretty bad ass and unlike Metallica it has one pretty wicked toy; not to say it's an awesome game because Metallica is the best game ever made, but don't judge it before you try it; always hard to tell from a video

#1673 7 years ago

At least there's no cities to choose in this game

Rob

#1674 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

What do you mean by "same old thing"? I'm not sure what else they can do outside of pop numbers, spinners, drop targets, bash toys etc? I mean that's what pinball is right?

#1675 7 years ago

If you want something different get some video arcades. At this point no matter what they do it's going to be copying something. It's now about rules code and theme. How many of you bitched about the magna slings. Are you the same wanting something new.
Decide what you want.

#1676 7 years ago

Lmao I just think it's ugly, it's fine if you like it. It's interesting watching the pinball companies struggle to find ways to incorporate the LCD. WOZ is kind of a mess, TH is overwhelmingly detailed, and BM66 needs a lot of help in finding a way to visually link the looped clips together, right now they just fly at you kind of arrhythmically without a grounding central conceit. In some ways DMD animations were really ideal, because they could have a sort of simplified cartoonishness where the lack of detail was funny in and of itself. There's a lot more work that has to go into a large, clear display to make it as snappy, especially when working with pre-existing media.

#1677 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

What do you mean by "same old thing"? I'm not sure what else they can do outside of pop numbers, spinners, drop targets, bash toys etc? I mean that's what pinball is right?

Disclaimer: before I say anything else I hate aerosmith the band so I am biased!

By same old thing I mean they seems to have taken a lot of elements from their other music pins and stuck them into this game. To be fair that could end up creating something quite good as I like all of their other music pins. But, I don't like it reusing sparky's voice and it is the KISS layout (which is not a bad layout but not a new one either). In the end for me I come back to the band...

I will be keen to play one and expect it will be fun but not for me. Now if I were an aerosmith fan I can see how it would be really excited so I'm sure there will be some happy people out there.

#1678 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Disclaimer: before I say anything else I hate aerosmith the band so I am biased!
By same old thing I mean they seems to have taken a lot of elements from their other music pins and stuck them into this game. To be fair that could end up creating something quite good as I like all of their other music pins. But, I don't like it reusing sparky's voice and it is the KISS layout (which is not a bad layout but not a new one either). In the end for me I come back to the band...
I will be keen to play one and expect it will be fun but not for me. Now if I were an aerosmith fan I can see how it would be really excited so I'm sure there will be some happy people out there.

The funny thing is, I don't like Aerosmith much either. They have a few good songs but I've never bought a CD of theirs ever, and I think Steve Tyler is a goofy Phucker. I said this pin would suck from day one and that it would have as bad of sales as WWE, but when I watched to stream last night I was like.......Holy sh*t that is a sweet game! It definitely is nice to love the theme, I won't disagree with that for a minute but it's hard to overlook everything about this pin. Oh yeah something I never mentioned, the light show, did you see how awesome the light show on this game is?

#1679 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You guys are on crack, talking about the LCD. You don't play the LCD like a game console

Then why do people buy color DMD's?

I mean who cares about displays in color when its only there to relay info

Wait... I'm not 100% you were discounting the LCD lol. I might just be replying for the wrong reasons

#1680 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

But, I don't like it reusing sparky's voice and it is the KISS layout (which is not a bad layout but not a new one either).

From what I've seen and heard, the reuse of Sparky's voice is actually my biggest criticism of the pin.

I haven't owned KISS so the similar layout does not bother me, though I am surprised that Borg would put out such a similar design so close together.

The mini PF looks weak to me, just not interesting to shoot from what I can tell. Pro would be the way to go for me, just hope that there is a way to start 2x scoring on the pro as well.

#1681 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Lmao I just think it's ugly, it's fine if you like it. It's interesting watching the pinball companies struggle to find ways to incorporate the LCD. WOZ is kind of a mess, TH is overwhelmingly detailed, and BM66 needs a lot of help in finding a way to visually link the looped clips together, right now they just fly at you kind of arrhythmically without a grounding central conceit. In some ways DMD animations were really ideal, because they could have a sort of simplified cartoonishness where the lack of detail was funny in and of itself. There's a lot more work that has to go into a large, clear display to make it as snappy, especially when working with pre-existing media.

It's better than Wheel of Fortune is and that's your favorite game!

#1682 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I mean who cares about displays in color when its only there to relay info

Maybe read his entire post?

He didn't say it is *only* there to relay info.

#1683 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Maybe read his entire post?
He didn't say it is *only* there to relay info.

I was editing it as you were scolding me

#1684 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Haha I do love WOF, it's shamefully true.

#1685 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I don't think he meant to say "same old thing", I am think he meant to say "same old song and dance"

#1686 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Honestly, WOF is probably better. At least it has a truly original layout, inline drops, and a deep Keith Johnson ruleset. Aerosmith is better than anticipated but just doesn't bring anything new or exciting to the table. It is pretty though!

#1687 7 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

I don't think he meant to say "same old thing", I am think he meant to say "same old song and dance"

Good one! lol

#1688 7 years ago

Unfortunately Stern seems to be stuck in a design rut. No real innovation with playfield designs. Other than Trudeau keeping things different.

I think it's going to hurt them in the long run. You can only rehash the same layouts so many times.
I realize it's to save $. But the prices have not gotten any cheaper with the advent of cheaper boards and parts. Lcd monitors. Less labour, less wire. And now almost every playfield designed being repurposed somewhat.

Stern pinball has made pinball no longer an artform. Even though they have great artists and designers. Those designers aren't allowed to use their full potential. Now it's too vague in product identification, and totally lacking in effective creativity.

#1689 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Honestly, WOF is probably better. At least it has a truly original layout, inline drops, and a deep Keith Johnson ruleset. Aerosmith is better than anticipated but just doesn't bring anything new or exciting to the table. It is pretty though!

WOF is fun to go to after awhile on other pins. Unique and challenging with the puzzle and wheel aspect. Real pretty too with Vanna on the BG. Yum.

#1690 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The funny thing is, I don't like Aerosmith much either. They have a few good songs but I've never bought a CD of theirs ever, and I think Steve Tyler is a goofy Phucker. I said this pin would suck from day one and that it would have as bad of sales as WWE, but when I watched to stream last night I was like.......Holy sh*t that is a sweet game! It definitely is nice to love the theme, I won't disagree with that for a minute but it's hard to overlook everything about this pin. Oh yeah something I never mentioned, the light show, did you see how awesome the light show on this game is?

I was playing KISS in a bar a week ago with a bunch of 4 player games, we had a lot of fun on it. Watching the stream really reminded me of that night except all the beer made us much funnier . I would happily play it with some friends in a bar.

The only way I would buy another stern music pin is if I like the band or it has something that really jumped out at me that can make me overlook not really liking the band. As it stands it fails the liking the band test and it is a mishmash of things they have done in the past plus they reused sparky which sucks.

#1691 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Unfortunately Stern seems to be stuck in a design rut. No real innovation with playfield designs. Other than Trudeau keeping things different.
I think it's going to hurt them in the long run. You can only rehash the same layouts so many times.
I realize it's to save $. But the prices have not gotten any cheaper with the advent of cheaper boards and parts. Lcd monitors. Less labour, less wire. And now almost every playfield designed being repurposed somewhat.
Stern pinball has made pinball no longer an artform. Even though they have great artists and designers. Those designers aren't allowed to use their full potential. Now it's too vague in product identification, and totally lacking in effective creativity.

Stern is making some of the greatest pinball machines that have ever been made lol. They have brought a resurgence back to pinball because of all the great games they've made over the last few years.

#1692 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

No, no it's not. There are so many rough edges and unfinished things (including missing animations and inserts that do nothing), it's completely distracting to play WoF. Also, the VOICES are TERRIBLE. I'm no fan of Sparky2 aka Jester in Aerosmith, but it destroys the bargain barrel WoF voices.

#1693 7 years ago

WOF's unfinished code is a tragedy, it's such an odd, unique layout, like one of the cool 80s widebodies.

#1694 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

It does look like Stern did a good job on this one. I don't think the upper pf is a disaster. It's tucked in the corner and pretty simple. That's the way it should be. I really like how the balls are tossed in the box. Very cool. Shots look fun even though very Kiss like. Theme sours it for me. Maybe interest will grow once I play it. Some of my fav pins are those I thought would suck before playing or had some bias.

Get that Getaway sold and get that money ready.

#1695 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No, no it's not. There are so many rough edges and unfinished things (including missing animations and inserts that do nothing), it's completely distracting to play WoF. Also, the VOICES are TERRIBLE. I'm no fan of Sparky2 aka Jester in Aerosmith, but it destroys the bargain barrel WoF voices.

The skill shot that actually requires skill. The inline drops that open up ramp shots for 2 and 4X scoring on the next single shot. The wheel is one of if not the most creative toy. Bonus wedge modes are very clever in the way they interact with the wheel toy. The importance of not hitting shots while having to hit others. The mini ramp, different than a scoop and simple. No ball ever going below the field. Disable the left ramp post and the ball always seems to be in motion with no place to stash it during multiballs. And I'm a fan of the controversial lower half. This game is overlooked by many..

#1696 7 years ago

I like the lower half a lot, it forces me to think differently about how I play and the Free Spin outlanes bring in an element of on-your-toes nudging - it's a great throwback game for anyone who likes pre-DMD layouts.

#1697 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

WOF's unfinished code is a tragedy, it's such an odd, unique layout, like one of the cool 80s widebodies.

Finished, and with those awful voices redone straight instead of failing at funny, it could have been something special.

#1698 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

it's a great throwback game for anyone who likes pre-DMD layouts.

That's exactly why I got it, but in the state Stern abandoned it, I couldn't live with it.

#1699 7 years ago

I do love this from the Deadflip stream. In the words of a wise gopher, "too many balls!"

too many balls (resized).pngtoo many balls (resized).png

#1700 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I would happily play it with some friends in a bar.

Sums it up for me....It's a fun game that will do well on location - in bars especially. I'd definitely pay to play it. Wouldn't buy one though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
There are 4,176 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 84.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-aerosmith-pinball/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.