(Topic ID: 143459)

Stern! Add walker bombs to TWD pro please!

By NightTrain

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you think Stern should add walker bombs to TWD pro?”

• Absolutely, it's seems pretty simple and pro owners would love it! Great idea! 91 votes
    69%
  • No. That would detract from premium/LE sales. 11 votes
    8%
  • No. That would make my premium/LE less special. 14 votes
    11%
  • No. It's completely impossible to code that in. Curing AIDS would be an easier task. 16 votes
    12%

(132 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

458552.gif
image.jpeg
There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 8 years ago

Probably not going to happen, GOT pro has the button as should all new Sterns to allow for cool future code updates like the bombs, I disagree that it will take away from Pre/LE owners, why wouldn't you want every one to have that feature? I hope they add it even if it means a $100 upgrade package but still unlikely.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Is it worse than adding the virtual kickback via a code update on ST Pro? If so, how much worse?

I think in ST pro its a different comparison. In ST there are the 2 shield targets. Makes sense that if u hit them both. It gives u a save feature. Having no virtual kick back on the pro would make the "shield" target pointless. They would just targets.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Lol, I opened this thread just to look for the Quarter Grabber rant. I was not disappointed.

lmfao !!!

#54 8 years ago

It would be a no brainer upsell for Stern.

If they want to add a mod that would be a VERY simple one to do. TWDpro seems to be a good seller so it would be foolish of them not to provide a new lockdown bar and the code update for the pro. I bet they could charge $300 and sell one for 80% of all pros.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It would be a no brainer upsell for Stern.
If they want to add a mod that would be a VERY simple one to do. TWDpro seems to be a good seller so it would be foolish of them not to provide a new lockdown bar and the code update for the pro. I bet they could charge $300 and sell one for 80% of all pros.

Be careful what you say, the onslaugth of PREM and LE owner is upon you

#56 8 years ago

I for one would be happy for all the pro owners if stern came up with bombs for them and I own an le

#57 8 years ago

Stern may be a little reluctant to do it as a full mod with button, given that the switch would have to be hacked into the switch matrix. Plugging into the 12v outlet is one thing, but home users wiring into the switch matrix en masse could cause headaches. Maybe it could be offered as a distributor fitted upgrade.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I for one would be happy for all the pro owners if stern came up with bombs for them and I own an le

Same here, more power to you pro owners.

Some food for thought.

You have to look at it from Sterns perspective. How would this benefit them? Would it be worth getting dollars in a lock down bar mod vs the extra coding changes it would require? Could we be under estimating the length of effort that coding this the right way might require? And God forbid if it turned out bad and didn't mesh well in the Pro, think of the shitstorm that would follow here.

It's the home user market that stern would do this for. It surely wouldn't be popular for locations. Is there a precedent for stern doing this sort of thing for home users in the past?

If Stern did this does that open them up to future challenges with home buyers? Do they care? What would be next, a crossbow mod since the button is there now?

Apologies, I know I'm being obtuse but I think stern might perceive this as potential that could bite them in the future on other games if expectations from pinside were actually met.

Maybe someone should just ask Jared directly. Isn't this along the lines of some of what his job at Stern entails? As the social media handler he would probably be the one to take this discussion to the right people.

I think it would be a good thing for everyone. But you know what Stern might think, "you give them an inch..."

#59 8 years ago

I would buy it for on location game!

#60 8 years ago

Stern gets crapped on often with posts about prem/le machines not being worth the extra money. The OP literally said this in another thread within minutes of this new thread topic. Then when a prem/le machine has a cool added feature you get (often the same) people saying it should also be on the pro. Stern can't win.

When I think about this, it seems that Stern may have hit the sweet spot on TWD with regards to Pro versus Prem/LE features. They have people complaining that the Pro doesn't have enough features, and other people complaining the Prem/LE doesn't have enough features. It's a goldilocks prem/le machine (right in the middle with complainers on both sides). On top of that most people who do or don't find value in a TWD Prem/LE machine, typically never do no matter what machine it is. So it doesn't matter what Stern does, they will not get those potential customers to change their mind with the current machine offering format. I'm thinking Stern may be doing something right with TWD pro/prem/le machines features when they get goldilocks feedback. I like prem/le machines which stand apart from pros significantly, for the variety and for which it had better do for the price difference.

#61 8 years ago

You can pick out the le owners without even looking at collections.

#62 8 years ago

Lol, it's not about me being an LE owner (and only one of my machines); it's a general observation about the paradigm of pro/prem/le machines, what prem/le machines offer for a notable price increase, and how it has played out on TWD (with regards to their specific differences).

I will only consider a prem/le machine if it significantly stands out from the pro. Sometimes that will be the case for me, sometimes it won't. Seems that with all the talk about TWD pro owners wanting prem/le features such as the GI, walker bombs and spinners, that maybe Stern did a fairly good job on TWD prem/le offerings with the added features. Crazy talk, I know, as it's an anathema to some people on this forum to try and point out some alternate considerations and give credit to a manufacturer.

As has been said by others here, the great thing is that people can choose and purchase whichever machine they prefer, both the pro and the prem are still available new. I see merit for both TWD machines as they are currently offered, and think they both are great in their own ways.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You can pick out the le owners without even looking at collections.

Don't worry, if you keep saving one day you will be able to get one

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

When I think about this, it seems that Stern may have hit the sweet spot on TWD with regards to Pro versus Prem/LE features. They have people complaining that the Pro doesn't have enough features, and other people complaining the Prem/LE doesn't have enough features.

I bought an LE and felt cheated, thus I can see why LE owners especially are clinging to every possible extra they can but its still foolish, the pro could have had one spinner and a button on the lockdown bar, great pin, one of my favorites of all time but Stern really dropped the ball in many ways, luckily gameplay wasn't one of them. If I still had my LE still I would be ok with the pro owners having bombs, I wouldn't care if it was free upgrade.

#65 8 years ago

I have an LE and could give a bleep what they do or don't do for the pro, I knew what I was buying.. Just like I knew what I was NOT buying in my Met Pro. So, If Stern does this for you pro peeps i'm sure this will be like opening pandora's box. I can see all the people wanting spinners added to Met Pro code And the list will grow very quickly. So my guess is Stern won't do anything to help out the pro owners. I mean you don't have to look to hard to find Stern machine owners wanting code completed for games that have been on the street for years so imagine that bleepstorm

#66 8 years ago

Man, you guys who aren't willing to shell out the couple grand extra for a few features are cheap asses.
What, do you think you could get another game with that cash or something?

#67 8 years ago

Lol, I post noting that much of this discussion revolves around the general concept of the pro/prem/le model paradigm, Stern's feature set and price differences between them, how these aspects and considerations played out on TWD, look forward to discussion about price/content/value/choice/merit, and instead get ad hominem attacks. Nonsensical and irrelevant. News flash, it is not about le owners. The point is it's about what the manufacturer is doing with regards to the paradigm of pro/prem/le offerings, the TWD pins, and their feature sets.

Pulling out the irrelevant and useless ad hominem attacks, I see three general themes.

I've seen a few people saying the Pro should have more features to be like the LE. Shocking. Obviously everyone would like that. It's been posted a million times too. But it doesn't fit well with the whole bom concept and pro/prem/le paradigm, which I've tried now multiple times to point out. So beyond wanting more stuff for free, and rehashing this again, is there anything useful to add?

Another theme, if people are going to complain that the pro should have walker bombs like the prem/le, that is equivalent to saying there should not be any new features added into the programming after release for a prem/le model if it is not also incorporated into the Pro model. That would be disappointing imo. I would rather a manufacturer be given total freedom to program pro/prem/le models as they see fit and be open-minded. Variety is always good, conformity is not so good, and limiting programming options it not good at all. Lyman took advantage of the fire button on the prem/le model, which the pro does not have. Seems crazy to me to limit the imagination of pinball programmers on machines after release, just because someone wants any new features programmed after release to apply to all models.

And another theme, some people would like to see extra features, which have been used in the prem/le model, offered as an add-on mod to the pro model for a price. Interesting. I don't have an issue with it. Stern is already doing this with simple accessories. I don't see Stern doing it though for mods that require significant changes. IMO, there is more profit to be made with current Stern business practices, where their resources are used to improve code on existing machine models/features as well as developing new machines, and all in the context of keeping pro/prem/le models differentiated enough to justify price differences. I doubt they want to poach their prem/le sales to pick up only a portion of that money back with a few intensive pro model accessory add-ons.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Man, you guys who aren't willing to shell out the couple grand extra for a few features are cheap asses.
What, do you think you could get another game with that cash or something?

You should try it one day. You might end up with a nice full featured game. But luckily they still make pro models for people on a budget

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

You should try it one day. You might end up with a nice full featured game. But luckily they still make pro models for people on a budget

I have. LOTR and SM are just as great as their LE counterparts with no features removed. While I'm at it, Met and Tron pro rock also. Maybe I'm cheap and don't drink the Kool-aid. The glass is half full buddy!

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I have. LOTR and SM are just as great as their LE counterparts with no features removed. While I'm at it, Met and Tron pro rock also. Maybe I'm cheap and don't drink the Kool-aid. The glass is half full buddy!

I agree with LOTR and SM that was before an LE and Pro were actually different. I also agree that Tron is a good pro, but let's not kid ourselves, if you had a lot of expendable cash the LE is the way to go. Met the Premium/LE is way better. But you know what they say simple things........

#71 8 years ago

Here is a new one for the Fun with Bonus Pin Dictionary:

A base model game with rigged-up after market add-ons to make it play like limited edition models : "Promium"

#72 8 years ago

Met the Premium/LE is way better.

Disagree.

What flavor Kool-aid do you like? I like green apple.

Keep on cheerleading, brother.

Where is the thumbs down button? I keep reaching for it, lol.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

So did I, so did I

And I'm from the ghetto so I like grape kool-aid

#74 8 years ago

Here we go again I don't consider 7G+ CAN a budget price for a NIB TWD pro In Canada the LE will be over 10G for pete's sake. The TWD pro kicks serious butt, IMO the LE is not worth the extra $$. I think we have seen the last of kick ass pros as they have really stripped down the GOT Pro to make the premium the one to get. In the case of TWD, easy decision, it's pro all the way.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from paulohotline:

Here we go again I don't consider 7G+ CAN a budget price for a NIB TWD pro In Canada the LE will be over 10G for pete's sake. The TWD pro kicks serious butt, IMO the LE is not worth the extra $$. I think we have seen the last of kick ass pros as they have really stripped down the GOT Pro to make the premium the one to get. In the case of TWD, easy decision, it's pro all the way.

Yes it's been said many times before, and as you stated yourself above, if you are on a tight budget the pro is the machine to get.

#76 8 years ago

How is 7G a tight budget if your that hung up on the extra features shell out the extra 2500 and be happy. I think the Op is on the right track, have Lyman add the bombs to the code and we will get It wired ourselves. No problemo.

#77 8 years ago

.... The TWD pro kicks serious butt, IMO the LE is not worth the extra $$. I think we have seen the last of kick ass pros as they have really stripped down the GOT Pro to make the premium the one to get. In the case of TWD, easy decision, it's pro all the way.

You ignore the fact that TWD prem/LE machines have more added features than most other prem/LE machines released. Fact is that TWD Pro is, as you would say, about as stripped down as GOT Pro. Methinks GOT Pro will be an excellent choice for many buyers who think it hits the sweet spot for play and price (we are already seeing that in feedback, shockingly (sarcasm)). As well as the GOT LE. Not surprisingly, like both the TWD Pro and TWD Prem/LE machines. To say the TWD pro vs prem/le is superior to equivalent GOT options does not pass even the most basic of smell tests.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Disagree.

I don't know how to contribute to this TWD discussion, but I will say I agree with you; I enjoy MET PRO more than its PREM/LE counterpart.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

You ignore the fact that TWD prem/LE machines have more added features than most other prem/LE machines released. Fact is that TWD Pro is, as you would say, about as stripped down as GOT Pro. Methinks GOT Pro will be an excellent choice for many buyers who think it hits the sweet spot for play and price (we are already seeing that in feedback, shockingly (sarcasm)). As well as the GOT LE. Not surprisingly, like the TWD Pro and TWD Prem/LE options. To say the TWD pro vs prem/le is superior to equivalent GOT options does not pass even the most basic of smell tests.

Sorry bud not sure what your smelling but I do not consider the TWD pro stripped down at all. I have played the TWD LE and my bang for buck ratio was definitely with the PRO version. To say the GOT pro is less stripped down then the TWD pro is farsical and made me giggle, thanks for the laughs The GOT pro is missing an UPPER PLAY FIELD and functional throne. That's like taking the Prison out of the TWD pro and making the Well Walker non interactive with the game. Come on dude, are you a Stern distributor?

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Disagree.

Sorry, Met premium/LE FTW! Hammer rules!

#81 8 years ago

Yes it's been said many times before, and as you stated yourself above, if you are on a tight budget the pro is the machine to get.

I have the pro TWD and money wasn't an obstacle. The pro for me was the best model for me. I could care less about walker bombs or any other feature. I've owned premiums, le's and pros. I've owned both premium and pro versions of st and prefer the pro. I prefer the pro mustang also. For acdc it premium.

You seem to keep crapping on about money? I'd say your the one with the financial issues probably from over spending on crap you don't need. You've brought up the whole money thing about 10 times so there is obviously some underlying financial hardship.

#83 8 years ago

This thread was never about the cost of the different models.

#84 8 years ago

Sorry bud not sure what your smelling but I do not consider the TWD pro stripped down at all.

Really? Shocking. One never would have thought that! for captain obvious. Read the post again; I'm just comparing apples to apples using your own language. And interesting you think TWD Pro is a loaded pro machine. Wow, that's a new one, even for pinside. The thing doesn't even have spinners. It's like calling IM a loaded machine.

I have played the TWD LE and my bang for buck ratio was definitely with the PRO version.

That's fine and great. I even posted that the Pro is the way to go for many people, such as you.

To say the GOT pro is less stripped down then the TWD pro is farsical and made me giggle, thanks for the laughs The GOT pro is missing an UPPER PLAY FIELD and functional throne. That's like taking the Prison out of the TWD pro and making the Well Walker non interactive with the game.

Whoa, the GOT pro has significant features missing!? Wow! . And if you've seen the functional throne in the GOT LE/Prem, you wouldn't be comparing it to major features that affect game play.

GOT missing those features is kinda like the TWD pro missing a bunch of game play features such as walker bombs programming, the crossbow mech with ramp diverter and related hardware/programming, the bicycle girl mech and ramp lift mech combo, the ww magnet mech , GI lighting, the spinner mechs with specific coding and game play scoring, fish tank and related programming, plus more. And strangely enough , there have been multiple threads and posts about Pro owners wanting to add many of these missing game play features, such as spinner mechs and programming, walker bomb programming, GI lighting, fish tank, etc.

Come on dude, are you a Stern distributor?

Nope. I try to see the merit in everything and say as much, whereas you sir, are a poster boy for confirmation bias.

#85 8 years ago

Bombs are for pussies !!!
Real players don't need bombs !!!

I have a pro and I don't want bombs....

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

You seem to keep crapping on about money? I'd say your the one with the financial issues probably from over spending on crap you don't need. You've brought up the whole money thing about 10 times so there is obviously some underlying financial hardship.

Good one dude. He is hurting so bad financially that he can afford LE versions of pinballs. You got him good :/

#87 8 years ago

All it really comes down to is BUSINESS. Stern has shown time and time again that they do not care about your 'precious' LE and in reality they make decisions based completely on business (as they should).

It is smart business for them to offer a lockdown upgrade kit and code for TWD pro. Sure they will get a few LE owners in a tussy, but they know these are some of the same guys that will turn a blind eye even on their own prinicples when the next LE they want comes out.

The code for bombs is already there for the prem and could be easily implemented (whom says it is not already in the pro just no button lit up to hit? has anyone cracked it and looked?). They could EASILY upsell and make a tone more cash. Great way to extend the profits on the license and all the TWDs they have already sold.

STERN >> I know you are reading this. DO IT! I am a buyer and know lots of other PRO owners would be also. Think of all the $$$$$$ you can make and such a nice way to get a small boost at the end of the year.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

(whom says it is not already in the pro just no button lit up to hit? has anyone cracked it and looked?).

Ha, I was going to try this for a giggle. You can hack any switch into the correct position in the matrix and if the code is there it will work. I sorta doubt it is though, but could be a laugh. I just don't have a TWD in the house yet. Someone do it! If you need help I'll walk you through it.

#89 8 years ago

with pinball browser could someone hack the prem code and drop the walker bomb portion into the pro?

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

with pinball browser could someone hack the prem code and drop the walker bomb portion into the pro?

I think PB works by finding points where assets are called, and let's you change the assets. Not sure it actually reverse engineers any binary. I most certainly could be wrong though.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I have the pro TWD and money wasn't an obstacle. The pro for me was the best model for me. I could care less about walker bombs or any other feature. I've owned premiums, le's and pros. I've owned both premium and pro versions of st and prefer the pro. I prefer the pro mustang also. For acdc it premium.

Yup, ya got me I'm broke. I work at McDonald's and bought everything on credit
Now back to reality. I put very little salt in what an unknown pinsider that refuses to list his location or collection has to say, I could really care less to be honest. But the fact is most of the people complaining only have a few games or a bunch of old $500 ones and THEY are the ones that keep bringing up the fact that an extra $1800 is too much for them. So yes that leads me to beleive that it is a money issue for most of the complainers. I could be wrong? Who knows, who cares.

#92 8 years ago

I think the bottom line is this; whether you play or own the pro, it's a fantastic pin (with the new upgraded sound package), and if you don't know what walker bombs are or do then you aren't missing a thing and are stuck with a fantastic pin. The truth is TWD (pro/PREM/LE) was a complete dud of a machine before Lyman locked himself in a basement for months getting the code to where it's at and cleland/milhouse busting their ass to provide a kickin sound package. Without that, all 3 versions would still be a wreck and we wouldn't be having this discussion today.

#93 8 years ago

Yup, ya got me I'm broke. I work at McDonald's and bought everything on credit
Now back to reality. I put very little salt in what an unknown pinsider that refuses to list his location or collection has to say, I could really care less to be honest. But the fact is most of the people complaining only have a few games or a bunch of old $500 ones and THEY are the ones that keep bringing up the fact that an extra $1800 is too much for them. So yes that leads me to beleive that it is a money issue for most of the complainers. I could be wrong? Who knows, who cares.

Lol, really?

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Sorry, Met premium/LE FTW! Hammer rules!

Probably the most bad ass ball lock in pinball (IMHO) you pro guys are missing out!

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Probably the most bad ass ball lock in pinball (IMHO) you pro guys are missing out!

Definitely a cool feature. I like the concept and the effect. I hate the size of the hammer. The people that got an Aurich hammer have the best of both worlds. I'll personally stick with my pro.

#96 8 years ago

What's the incentive for Stern to do this? If someone it's willing to pay extra for just a lock down button with code added bombs they probably figure it's likely that many would sell their pro and upgrade to a premium like someone in this thread already has.

If it really is something that you need start saving up n but the premium. It's the only way you are going to get full featured game.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

What's the incentive for Stern to do this? If someone it's willing to pay extra for just a lock down button with code added bombs they probably figure it's likely that many would sell their pro and upgrade to a premium like someone in this thread already has.

that is an annomally.

Reality is the incentive is CASH MONEY. Few are going to sell a Pro and buy a Premium (pretty sure someone said they are now done with TWD be made now?) MANY would pay $300 for a lock down bar and code upgrade. That is a $250plus upsell. 250k is not bad for almost no work!

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Yes! This is the one thing I absolutely LOVE about the Premium/LE. So satisfying to see the giant hammer smash the ball into the playfield total heavy metal style!

#99 8 years ago

My guess is if the Walker Bombs had been an idea from the start that the Pro would have the button. It was just thought of as the crossbow button and so left off.

Personally I think a kit to add it would be a cool idea. They'd probably make way more money off that then they would potentially snagging a few extra Premium sales.

#100 8 years ago

Yes, I'd pay for a kit to get bombs but have no interest in upgrading to a premium.

To the guy who keeps bringing up that pro owners should have saved up and bought the full featured model and that we are obviously to broke or poor to afford an LE, not the case I just felt that my dick was big enough that I could get a pro and still feel manly enough to go about my daily life.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 195 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-add-walker-bombs-to-twd-pro-please/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.