Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by eSJayPee
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Got a new Stern Mandalorian and the action button often gets stuck down. What's the fix?

#2 2 years ago

Gotta be mechanical.

Pull the front rail that holds the button off the game, does the button stick only when it is pushing on the switch? This might be because something's out of alignment. Loosen the nut on the bottom of the rail and re-seat everything until the mechanical binding is fixed.

Or is it sticking even with the button and rail off the game?

I've had to replace the button, part # 515-7791-00 for about seven bucks plus shipping. Marco and Pinball Life have them.

If it is sticking because of soda, unscrew it and soak the transparent part in soapy warm dish water then rinse and let it dry.

#3 2 years ago

This is a brand new game. Issue happened within the first few plays.

#4 2 years ago

No game comes from the factory without problems.

Hopefully you bought from someone local who can come over and fix your problem.

If you are your own repair person... well, it's gotta be mechanical, and the above post might allow you to figure out and fix it yourself.

#5 2 years ago

You've been here for 11 years and have 16 machines, you can probably figure it out in 30 seconds if you look at it.

No magic here, it usually hangs up for two reasons -
    Switch needs adjustment and it is catching the bottom of the button - like an eos that caches the flipper mech
    Button shaft needs sanded/smoothed - sometime a plastic burr or something isn't smooth, similar thing can happen with ne flipper buttons.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Got a new Stern Mandalorian and the action button often gets stuck down. What's the fix?

Nick, this happens on my last 2 Sterns. The trick is to hold the button in as you're installing the lockbar, making certain the tip of the button's bottom is squarely on top of the white switch nub (don't know the technical term). once it's locked in place, release the button and it'll be good until the next time you remove it.

** DON'T go sanding or trimming anything!

#7 2 years ago

I want to take a moment to thank bigehrl for actually coming up with the right solution. He managed to do that without stating the obvious or trying to degrade me. Thanks Jon.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

Nick, this happens on my last 2 Sterns. The trick is to hold the button in as you're installing the lockbar, making certain the tip of the button's bottom is squarely on top of the white switch nub (don't know the technical term). once it's locked in place, release the button and it'll be good until the next time you remove it.

This. 3 of my last 4 Sterns have done this.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

This. 3 of my last 4 Sterns have done this.

Yea. The game my dad bought a few months ago is doing this. The one I mentioned above is at a work office. So I'm not able to be there at the moment to diagnose. The folks doing the repair are new to pinball. Hence, me asking on this forum to help remote diagnose.

I haven't had this issue with any of my games in my personal collection or on route. I've unboxed god knows how many games and this issue is a new one.

#10 2 years ago

So it was the switch.

Sorry I came off harsh, just a bunch of people posting questions lately without taking the time to remove the glass and look first.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

Same here. After installing many mods I now managed to put it in without properly aligning the tip to the white switch nub and something must have been bent in the wrong way. Since then the action button doesn’t work anymore even after proper alignment. Are there any good instructions on how to fix the mechanic? Or is there a part that I can order to replace? Thanks for any advice.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from EvilChicken:

Are there any good instructions on how to fix the mechanic?

Take lockdown bar off. Go into Tests - Switches - does it register ? If so arm on switch needs adjusting so the button when pressed closes the switch.

Doesn't work in test - check for broken wires and with game turned off put a meter on the switch and see if it works. If so then broken wire(s) from switch to board.

If switch is dead - https://www.pinballlife.com/switch-0365-17032-0009.html you might have to trim the length of the blade on the switch.

LTG : )

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Take lockdown bar off. Go into Tests - Switches - does it register ? If so arm on switch needs adjusting so the button when pressed closes the switch.
    Doesn't work in test - check for broken wires and with game turned off put a meter on the switch and see if it works. If so then broken wire(s) from switch to board.
    If switch is dead - https://www.pinballlife.com/switch-0365-17032-0009.html you might have to trim the length of the blade on the switch.
    LTG : )

Thank you

#14 2 years ago

It's just the leaf switch being slightly out of position when installing the lockdown bar. The edge of the leaf switch is getting stuck on the grooves of the button of the button.

Can either simply move the leaf switch and center it when installing the lockdown bar, or get under there and tighten it when centered so it doesn't move the next time you have the lockdown bar off.

8 months later
    #15 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

OMG! So simple and so HELPFUL!! Have a few games (Deadpool and Mando) this has been an issue on and this procedure cleared it up! Thank you!!!

#16 1 year ago

I’ve removed my lock down bars 100’s of times on my route games and have not had these issues. If button getting stuck you need to adjust the leaf switch. Raise playfield to up position and put the lockdown bar and see how the button is interacting with the switch.

11 months later
    #17 5 months ago

No freaking way. This literally fixed my machine. I tried bending the leaf switch, removing and reinstalling the button. Nothing worked. I took the lockdown bar from another Stern and it worked fine. Finally, I found this three, held in the button, installed the lock down bar and it worked on the first try.

Quoted from bigehrl:Nick, this happens on my last 2 Sterns. The trick is to hold the button in as you're installing the lockbar, making certain the tip of the button's bottom is squarely on top of the white switch nub (don't know the technical term). once it's locked in place, release the button and it'll be good until the next time you remove it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-action-button-sticking?hl=nicoy3k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.