(Topic ID: 315785)

Stern 7 digit display brightness.

By fb_rider

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

One of my 1980 Stern 7 digit plasma displays started acting up. I found 2 used ones on ebay - one had a bad solder joint that I fixed and it works great. The other one works fine but is brighter than the other three. Any thoughts on how to reduce the brightness on just 1 of the 4?

1 week later
#2 1 year ago

Any thoughts?

#3 1 year ago

I think it's just due to the nature of the one plasma display having more life than your others that it's brighter. There is no individual brightness control with these. Put it in your player 1 or ball/credit display and call it a day

#4 1 year ago

don't put your 7 digit display in the credit/ball in play cradle, that's a 6 digit display only.

#5 1 year ago

Makes sense, thanks!

#6 1 year ago

if possible a pic would be good, if it actually shows what you see may not be possible....not that it would achieve anything because as mentioned, there isn't an individual component you can change that will just make your one brighter display match the others

the power for the brightness (voltage to enable the displays to work) comes from the solenoid driver, the HV section, this voltage is adjustable but it does all the displays.

#7 1 year ago

Thanks, I don't have it installed right now, but the next time I do I'll take a pic and post it,

#8 1 year ago

How about just putting some tinted film over that display, gray so as to not change the color.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-7-digit-display-brightness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.