flipper4 (resized).png
flipper1 (resized).png
flipper2 (resized).png
flipper3 (resized).png
stflip (resized).jpg
20170220_140714 (resized).jpg
20170220_112248 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

I can't figure out what to do with my ST LE. My 3rd right flipper stays stuck up.

1. Replaced Coil Stop
2. Replaced sleeve
3. Replaced plunger

Turning game off the flipper stays stuck up.
I tried spacing and I've pushed it as far down as it can go to the play field and can still fit credit card underneath easily.

I went to this thread but nothing is working. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/right-flipper-sticking-stern-acdc#post-1291857

Any thoughts on what to do out there?

#2 4 years ago

Your plunger assembly - when out of the game does it move freely ? Not binding the plunger/plastic link/pawl areas where it hooks together ?

If you pull the flipper straight up ( not back and forth ) can you pull it up an 1/8th of an inch or so ?

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Your plunger assembly - when out of the game does it move freely ? Not binding the plunger/plastic link/pawl areas where it hooks together ?
If you pull the flipper straight up ( not back and forth ) can you pull it up an 1/8th of an inch or so ?

it is very free flowing the plastic part of the plunger moves and wiggles. I've tried tightening and loosening it as well.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

currently I can not move the flipper straight up an 1/8 of an inch.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

currently I can not move the flipper straight up an 1/8 of an inch.

I just made a gap so I could move it up and down and it still stays stuck up.

#6 4 years ago

I noticed when i move the plunger by hand really slow to engage it it it gets stuck sometimes like magnet is holding it in place as well.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

I noticed when i move the plunger by hand really slow to engage it it it gets stuck sometimes like magnet is holding it in place as well.

I'd try a new plunger assembly.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd try a new plunger assembly.

I can't quite see what that part actually is (assembly)? When I search it looks like nothing I have? I did replace the plunger?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

When I search it looks like nothing I have?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1512

If yours is different, could you post a picture of it ?

#10 4 years ago

I noticed in the ST manual the spring washers are on plunger side. All of the spring washers on mine are on the coil stop side???? What is wrong the factory install or the manual??

Edit. Didn't matter I switched spring to other side no difference

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1512
If yours is different, could you post a picture of it ?

20170220_112248 (resized).jpg

20170220_140714 (resized).jpg

#12 4 years ago

You have an upside down left handed one on yours. That white plastic is likely hooking the bolts holding the playfield bushing to the flipper base plate.

On this flipper mech, you don't need that white plastic piece that is riveted on, it opens the EOS switch on your lower left flipper. So if it is that, that is catching, I'd remove it, leave the metal piece holding the return spring.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You have an upside down left handed one on yours. That white plastic is likely hooking the bolts holding the playfield bushing to the flipper base plate.
On this flipper mech, you don't need that white plastic piece that is riveted on, it opens the EOS switch on your lower left flipper. So if it is that, that is catching, I'd remove it, leave the metal piece holding the return spring.

The left piece of white plastic doesn't touch anything when it moves. I almost got excited that was the issue.

Not sure how you mean I have left handed backwards what, sorry?

#14 4 years ago

Edit: Nevermind. Missed the mention of the coil stop being replaced.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Not sure how you mean left handed backwards?

Wrong plunger assembley. It is a left side one upside down on a right flipper mech.

Compare to your lower flipper mechs.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Archer600:

Also check your coil stop.

He replaced it.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Archer600:

Also check your coil stop. I have had the bushing disintegrate in the coil stops causing the flipper to stick up. With the playfield up and flipper stuck, just press the circle on the coil stop and see if it releases the flipper.

It's brand new though. replaced it because I thought that was the reason? I'll check.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Wrong plunger assembley. It is a left side one upside down on a right flipper mech.
Compare to your lower flipper mechs.

This is from factory I'm not sure what exactly I would do here? Sorry lost by what you think I need to do on that part?

This is crazy it's just a flipper and I replaced everything and it won't work.

#19 4 years ago

It looks like your EOS Switch Actuator (white plastic) is not sitting flush on the crank bar. The bolt used to secure the bar to the flipper bat shaft has pushed that out, causing the white plastic to drag on the mounting bolts for the flipper bushing (white round plastic)

stflip (resized).jpg

#20 4 years ago

It's not even needed on this flipper since there isn't an EOS on the upper right flipper.

#21 4 years ago

It might be a good idea to get the wires away from the mechanism as well.

#22 4 years ago

The wires aren't in the way when I put it together . The plastic is NOT touching the bushing screws there is clearance there.

#23 4 years ago

Could you try a little more up and down play on the flipper ?

Otherwise we've run out of ideas. You are there, we aren't. You'll need to take a break. And then go over it with fresh eyes. There just isn't much there. Plunger moves in coil sleeve, plunger wiggles at plastic link, pawl wiggles at plastic link, flipper shaft goes through nylon bushing on playfield ( it isn't cracked or broken is it ? ) and flipper needs a little up and down play so pawl isn't dragging on nylon bushing below the playfield.

You'll have to figure it out, or get someone local to you to come over and see if they can figure it out.

#24 4 years ago

You haven't replaced the bushing. You've replaced everything else.

#25 4 years ago

Can you take some more photos of the face of the coil and the plunger ....out. Got a MM handy? The magnetic comment has me curious. No other issues with the machine? You did say the coil was replaced right? (Sorry if I missed it)

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from puck:

You did say the coil was replaced right?

No. He replaced plunger, coil stop, coil sleeve.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No. He replaced plunger, coil stop, coil sleeve.

LTG as a JJP tech support you know infinitely more about pinball then I do, but should we not check the resistance (& power coming in) for a bad coil ... like... first...or a close second? I guess if it's stuck coil stop, sleeve, and spacing would be good places to start, but maybe I am missing something. Looking forward to your reply!

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from puck:

LTG as a JJP tech support you know infinitely more about pinball then I do

But I don't know everything. Always open to learn.

Quoted from puck:

but should we not check the resistance (& power coming in) for a bad coil .

No. Turn game off and it stays up.

I suspect the nylon bushing the flipper shaft rides in, or better spacing between pawl and nylon bushing below the playfield. He's replaced the plunger assembly and no change between the old and the new.

Really long shot, though I've never seen it, bent flipper shaft ?

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

But I don't know everything. Always open to learn.

In the same boat, but it was a statement. You do know more then me

Quoted from LTG:

I suspect the nylon bushing the flipper shaft rides in, or better spacing between pawl and nylon bushing below the playfield. He's replaced the plunger assembly and no change between the old and the new.

TB should be able to see this right?

Quoted from LTG:

Really long shot, though I've never seen it, bent flipper shaft ?

Worth checking, cheep, quick and easy to do.

Nothing in the coil could hold a current with the game turned off so I think your 100% on that. TB check that out and let us know. I am now super curious.

#30 4 years ago

Not the assembly just the plunger. I have everything packed away now. I will have to open it up in the morning. I honestly ready to take a sledgehammer to it. I haven't played it forever and can't fix it. I am just a beginner though

#31 4 years ago

Hang in there, we were all beginners once.

If we think it's 100% mechanical and nothing electrical or otherwise the easy test would be to keep the machine powered off and push up the flipper. If it sticks it's one of the above. If not then report back.

#32 4 years ago

usually when I have plungers stick like this, its because my coil is slightly in at an angle. Loosen the coil stop and loosen the plate that the coil sleeve sits through. Let them sit a little loose and move the plunger in and out. try shifting the coils angles until it feel perfectly free. Then tighten down the coil stop and then the holding bracket. Then test by hand. But do this with the playfield angled out, not flipped up. I've had some that were free , with the playfield flipped up, but tight when in it's flat position.

#33 4 years ago

OK maybe this will help. My left flipper has been sticking every so often for some time now so I did some flipper testing with the pf propped up on the service rails. The problem on my game is the button itself. It can actually get stuck on the pressed in position. Maybe it has debris in it causing this. I thought I could feel a problem with the button while I was playing and this confirmed it.

Edit: Now that I think about it, you'd have both flippers stick if it was the right button. But maybe this helps someone else.

#34 4 years ago

The flipper bat is straight.

The button isn't the issue as the 3rd flipper is the only one stuck up.

I am playing with the coil brackets on each side and nothing is working. The flipper moves by hand and returns as does when I engage it from under the PF with the machine off. It doesn't return as quickly as the other flippers but still does.

Any other thoughts?

#35 4 years ago

This may be a dumb suggestion, but how tight did you tighten the flipper bolt? I rebuilt my flippers back in the day and didn't tighten the hex screw enough, and when I played the ball caused the flipper to rotate and appear stuck in the flipped position... I readjusted it tightened it more and it was fine. Hope you find a solution soon!

10 months later
#36 4 years ago

Hey TBatti, did you ever get this resolved? Having the same issue on my upper right flipper. I've had the pin for a couple years and it just started doing it. Same as you, when I turn the machine off it stays in the up position. When it's stuck in the up position, I feel a little resistance when I push on it before it comes down.

#37 4 years ago

So I tried to find the issue and it seems like the edge of the plunger is rubbing when it's fully extended. There's a good amount of movement of the plunger, which I've tried to show. LTG Does the plunger need to be greased in any way? These pics are with the play field lifted on the rails, but when it's back in the cabinet, the weight of the plunger would cause it to rub, at least that's my theory. Any thoughts?

flipper3 (resized).png

flipper2 (resized).png

flipper1 (resized).png

flipper4 (resized).png

#38 4 years ago

....Or perhaps it's this

Flipper Plungers / Coil Stops

A flipper works by pulling a metal shaft along a sleeve inside a coil.
As you don't want the shaft, called a plunger, exiting the other side
of the coil, there's another piece of metal, called a coil stop, there
to stop it. After thousands of flipper presses, these two pieces of
metal eventually get flattened and the tips begin to spread out.

This is called mushrooming. It causes friction against the coil sleeve
resulting in a weak flipper. Eventually, the mushroomed end of the
plunger will wear right through the sleeve and start tearing the
inside of the coil apart, resulting in a shorted coil and usually then
a complete meltdown of the coil's interior.

That's the basic mechanics involved in a flipper -- the plunger gets
pulled into the coil, and it drags the flipper shaft around in a
circle, rotating the paddle as a result.

#39 4 years ago

Yes it was resolved. Proper Stern spring as PBL sent the wrong one which was weaker and secondly it needed to be wrenched down every so slightly for alignment issue. Likely 1/32 of an inch or so did it but it was hard to move prior to tightening. May have been rubbing every so slightly making the issue was a bloody weak spring and minor alignment. Took 3 people to finally make it work and realize the 2 issues.

1 week later
#40 4 years ago

My problem turned out to be the coil stop. I had gold dust all over my cabinet so I replaced it on all three flippers. Amazing difference on the flipper performance.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside